The Exiled Gem

By Maplebell

Exiled from her own land - to be executed if she ever returns, Princess Alexandra finds herself turning a spy... More

A Princess' World
Mistakes Make Changes
The Exiled Gem
Greetings of Exile
The Shelter for Abandoned Kids and Orphans
The Independence Day March
Two Crossroads
The Master and the Stalker
Two Types of Examiners
Sweet Vengeance
Two Tales of Change
The Second Year's Miracle
The Tournament Begins
Dueling A Buffalo
The Matches in the Thunderstorm
Where the Thoughts Go
Black Daggers
Idgardian Laws: A Neutral Study
Second Year Test
Wind in the Basement
Never Incur A Debt
Master George's Judgement
Mabel in a Mouse-trap
The Elf's Tale
The Spider and The Fly
Traitor's Correspondence
Sweet Poison
Not a Bit of Conceit
The Second Pair
Captain Exclusive
The Merciless Pang
A Spy's World
Camphor in the Library
The Passing Out Ceremony
Jade and the Pendant
Queenly Queen Olivia
He Deserves Better
Infirmary Visits
One Assassin Down
Letter of Apology
The Bloodless Method
Extreme Need of a Holiday
Sister Heiress
An Egregious Discovery
A Vow of Maidenhood
Group Trial
Fiery-Flaring Pride
Paradise Courting Club
Watson's Shortcuts
An Uninvited Pursuit
Mary and Mark
Spies Catch a Spy
A Heroic Fall
Enormous Mistake
Change of Leader
Let's Reunite
Concern for Diana
A Clash and A Confession
Embracing the Past
Three Cape Ladies Club
Lady Derk of Doveland
The No-Entry Room
Other Side of the Tale
Irreparable Breaks
Attractions
Rise in Correspondence
Hollow Armors
New Head of Espionage
Mediocre Eights
Poisonous Pearls
Can't Clap with a Single Hand
The House of Metanoia
Desperate Changes
The Messy Head Business
Triangular Plot
Broach of Merit
Feelings and Fears
Janus-Faced Fannel
Never Tempt Fate
The Worst Reunion
Single-Handed Carnage
An Effortless Revenge
A Frustrating Loss
Broken Promises
Men Will Be Men
Mabel Leaves for Good
Meetings and Trauma
That Lady with Golden Eyes
Unhurried Tutor
Relentless Improvement
Graying Hair and Amber Eyes
The Sibling Rivalry
The Second Gem
A/N
Ophelia

The Great Arrival

488 27 6
By Maplebell

Aunt Sabel was visiting Doveland.

It was a diplomatic trip. Aunt Sabel, sister to King Adelard, was the Queen of Ethoris. Ethoris and Doveland were not even neighbors, but they did have somethings to gain. 

Previously, they had been enemies. Then things were healed when Aunt Sabel had been given in marriage to King Noah Ethoris of Ethoris: his lineage having laid the foundation stone of the Kingdom. And after the marital alliance, now, they wanted to take it further. Establish stronger ties, with more economic interdependence, trade and manpower. The usual. But one thing about this visit was peculiar, making it much more dreaded and suspicious. Aunt Sabel was coming alone, and not with the King.

'Isn't it strange?' Alexandra had asked Olivia, while the latter had been arranging her curls into a beautiful wreath of flowers. 'I thought Queens never went anywhere without their husbands. I thought no married woman went anywhere without them.'

'If you stop thinking, Alexandra,' Olivia had enlightened, rubbing her lips with a magenta gel, until they were glossier than glass, 'you will save everybody a lot of trouble.' She then pouted at the mirror, shaking her head with a disapproving grunt and wiping the magenta off her lips. 'Even kids know that Aunt Sabel and Noah don't get along at all.'

Then she had turned to have a good look at Alexandra. 'Look at yourself,' she had disparaged, slapping Alexandra's hair uninterestedly. 'Do something about these - they are flat as hay! And,' she had then lifted Alexandra's chin up to have a good look at her lips. 'Want me to lend you a balm? They are horribly chapped.' She had remarked, shaking her head and pulling Alexandra in front of the long mirror. 

Standing behind her, her arms on below Alexandra's shoulder, Olivia had leant forward. 'You are a Princess and you know how lucky that is. Use it Alexandra, and be a woman. I used to believe in love and charm. I used to believe in hearts. But that is foolish. There is duty and respect. And there is honor. Nothing above them.'

Alexandra had blinked twice and looked away. Olivia had seemed scary to her, the talk of duty and respect though justified, had felt paranoid. Especially the part about love and charm and hearts. Olivia hadn't felt like the old person she had been. To Alexandra, it had felt as though the Eldest Princess was under some charm. Under a dangerous mania. As quickly as possible, Alexandra had detached herself from the sister's grasp and rushed out. Swearing to never poke her again, unless absolutely necessary.

Aunt Sabel's visit was what they had to worry about.

But right now, alliance was a very long way. Presently, it was a simple visit of Queen Sabel to Doveland. And yet, deep inside, the Royal families knew that this would form the foundation of the alliance: the way Queen Sabel was treated. The fact that she didn't see eye to eye with the King, made no difference.

'We all, must be at our behavioral best and welcome Sabel as courteously as possible.' Announced King Adelard during dinner on the night before Queen Sabel's arrival. They were having a private dinner just for some last minute exchange of advice. Olivia had declined the invite to James Norweiner's wedding ceremony for it. Rose given up her appointment with Georgina Verse, one of the finest music teachers of Doveland. And Austin had pulled himself out of Court, early. Alexandra, for all her compromising nature, had agreed to not be absent from the dinner: something she usually was.  

But she was having a bad feeling about the Aunt and her visit.

'Alexandra.' Queen Ava declared, gently but firmly. 'You especially, child, should behave yourself. I don't mean to say that you are ill mannered. But just sometimes, in fact many-a-times, you cross the limits. No, look dear, I know you will get better with age. Still, for a week - please adjust. And be good.'

'Can't you, Mother, just tell Aunt Sabel that I died? And then I can be in the interiors, pretending that I don't exist.' Alexandra suggested, smiling brilliantly. Queen Ava looked at her helplessly for a second, shook her head and covered her face with her hands, exasperatedly. 'Not a good idea... Okay.' Alexandra accepted, going back to keeping her mouth tightly shut.

'I have a feeling she'll do something majorly wrong this week.' Olivia predicted, ominously. 'I think she will blacken all our faces.' She added. 'But I'll take care of her.'

'You sound as bad as the Oracle, Sister.' Rose noticed, turning to Austin to share a grin. They both were mysteriously close. While Alexandra didn't know how, or why, Rose seemed to be Austin's confidant. And Olivia did sound worse than the Oracle: she sounded like herself.

'And still,' Rose continued, 'sister is right. You must be extra careful, Alexandra. We like you the way you are - or maybe, we try our best, at least - but Aunt Sabel is extremely critical and old-fashioned. She is also short-tempered, and so are you. I have a funny feeling that either the two of you will get along gigantically well, or will fall apart like two poles of a magnet. More possibly, the second one.'

Why, Alexandra felt so herself. Still, she was not enjoying this dinner talk. Yes, she wanted recognition and fame and respect. She wanted to work and earn, and hold her head high because of her own merit, and not her birth. In spite of all these, she was not half as rude as Olivia. She was not a quarter as indecisive as Rose. And she was certainly not even an eighth as frivolous as they.

'Please discard your fanged necklace, Alexandra.' Queen Ava informed.

'Don't pester me while I'm at training. I won't be able to accommodate you now.' Austin remembered, in a low voice. It was one of Alexandra's habits to demand a chance at dueling while Austin was at it. She could easily spot his mistakes. But she usually kept that knowledge to herself and encouraged him, instead. Despite all of it, Austin never gave her a chance. The usual drone of "you'll get hurt" or "you're too young" or "it isn't as easy as it looks". Alexandra was quite fed up of them. Still, she kept up her practice. Maybe if she didn't go for a week... and didn't pester him, he would finally let her have a try. If that was the case, then Alexandra was more than happy to not go.

'And don't be outspoken, Alessandria.' King Adelard nodded.

'I'm AleXan-DRA, Father!' She exclaimed, pushing her chair back. Outraged that her own father didn't remember her name - and what the excuse for this one? In fact, that was the way it had always been - excuses and exclusion. Alexandra didn't fit into their aspirations. She didn't meet their standards of "daughter". Alexandra accepted that she was flawed, she accepted that she was clumsy, outspoken. Impulsive. 

'Ah, that name always gave me trouble!' The King shook his head, not remorseful.

But did that mean she was useless? Did that mean she could discarded, spared, hammered into the shape they saw fit?

'And one day,' she added, as if her father hadn't spoken. She did not completely realize where the words were coming from, but they did, and she spoke. 'One day, I will find someone who will know my true worth.' 

For a second, there was silence. Then Rose snorted, falling onto the table, giggling. Soon enough, Olivia had joined in. So had Austin, Queen Ava and King Adelard - perhaps half-heartedly, but the chuckle they gave made it obvious. And even after her parents had stopped, the siblings continued - especially her sisters, who were supposed to support her. Their laughing faces merged into one another and Alexandra felt her face grow hot. Helplessly, she pushed the chair aside and bolted across the length of the dining hall.

'Make sure to marry him, okay, Alexandra?!' Rose called out, as a joke, not understanding the burning slap it felt like. She pushed the oak doors ahead, gathered her robes up, and sprinted out, not stopping until she had reached her bed, thankfully, everyone was at dinner. Perhaps a few years earlier, she would have cried at it. But now, she had an alternative of venting her emotions - a better one. Pushing aside the row of cushions and pillows, she pulled out a well-fingered bunch of parchments - her diary. Grabbing a quill and dipping it into the expensive violet ink on the side of her bed, and scribbled so furiously that the pages were almost perforated.

I swear I will be in a place one day where Olivia and Rose and Austin will respect me. And they will be good as my vassals. I will be powerful. I will be loved. I will be prized. I will have a better family. That family won't laugh at my ambition. They will not crush my pride. I won't have to beg for respect or attention from them. I don't think I belong here. They are all so very rude. They don't understand anything. I could tolerate Rose, Olivia and Austin laughing at me. But Mother, too. And she didn't tell them to stop. Olivia is her favorite. Rose is Austin's favorite. Austin is father's favorite. I'm the third wheel and I'm practically useless. I hate to say it, but I am. And I will just have to go somewhere I am needed. I will really find someone who will know my true worth. Or otherwise, they will find me. I do not need to blacken Olivia's face. At the rate she is going, she will alone suffice for it. And then, with that blackened face, she will have to face me. And I won't laugh. No! But I will make sure to give her a taste of humility. She needs it. She needs it very, very much. 

Pushing the bundle back under the cushions, Alexandra flopped down on the bed. Writing always helped her vent her emotions. And though the emotions were gone, she had made the oath already. It was wishful thinking, a lot to swear on. But now it was done - knowingly or unknowingly, Alexandra was going to fulfill it. 

Every single bit of it.

* * *

The whole of the next morning, was terrible.

Alexandra knew she was doomed. The previous night's heat had worn off. Only to be replaced by the dread of infamous Aunt Sabel. Alexandra was woken up at four by the Nurse, while usually they didn't bother her till six. Everything was hurried. Then came the time to choose a dress. Olivia fussed over Alexandra's wardrobe for about an hour, saying that nothing was in good condition. She finally chose a bright blue silk with golden embroidery (that Alexandra had forgotten even existed). They fit Alexandra into it, and though she looked remarkably pretty - she couldn't breathe.

'Do I have to wear it the whole day?' She cried to Olivia, who as usual, looked stern. She was herself dressed in even tighter and heavier lavender robes, her hair into a painful bun with a beautiful violet hibiscus settled into it. Then she had gone ahead to get some light jewelry. Together, it made Olivia look like a wax sculpture. Beautiful and regal but not human.

'Of course. When I was your age, Alexandra, I wore dresses three times better than this. However ... they won't suit you. This is the least you can dress to be formal.' She replied. 

Alexandra didn't like the way Olivia said "you". But it was nothing too uncommon for her - Alexandra was used to petty jibes. They rolled down lengths of staircases and corridors, peering down every now and then, only to catch a humongous crowd, with people on foot and on horseback, awaiting the Great Arrival. Alexandra could catch hurried chattering and ordering of the maids as they worked behind the walls. She could smell the wet soil, as the roads had been sprayed early in the morning. An entourage of dazzling ladies were waiting at the Royal Gates, golden platters and bejeweled amphorae in their hands: swaying their hips with elegant smiles plastered on their faces. At the head of this crowd, stood the reigning monarch of Columberra, with his consort and heir. 

That would be a formal description,  because to put it informally, it was a mess.

Music and instruments, complete pomp and show. Lovely banners and colored ribbons were flying around in gusts of the wind. Bunches of flowers adorned the walkways.

It was a complete festival. Alexandra couldn't help shaking her head and smiling. She couldn't help being impressed by the amount of work that had gone into the welcome. After all, it was twelve years of a gap, after while Aunt Sabel was visiting. Alexandra didn't remember what she was like, but only an ascetic wouldn't be impressed by all of the festivities.

'Hmph! Alexandra, don't pull at your bow, it will come off!' Snarled Olivia, as they waited right behind the dazzling ladies. According to the plans, since not a leaf of Royalty moved without prior planning, Aunt Sabel would first meet the monarchs and Austin. After being duly welcomed, she could walk ahead and meet her nieces. 

'S - sorry.' Alexandra jumped, leaving the bow and wondering how Olivia caught every wrong movement of hers. In fact, mistakes were something Olivia caught easily. The good things seemed pretty invisible to her.

Finally, they heard the carriage. It was fully audible, even with the trumpets, the shouting of the crowds and the tinkling of the hundreds of anklets, armbands and bracelets. Alexandra stood on her tiptoes to see the proceedings clearer for herself. The King and the Queen with Austin had already moved forwards. Anytime now, she would see what the so very important Aunt looked like. They heard the carriage stop, the voices grow louder and the crowds thicker. The trumpets grew louder and the dazzling ladies in front of them twirled and curtsied, humming cheerfully.

But, the three sisters waited and waited. No one came.

'Don't you think, Sister, that they are taking too long?' Asked Rose, who was wearing a blood red dress, with a ruby ring and a thin coral pendant. She had darkened her blonde hair to suit it. Olivia nodded to her absentmindedly.

'I think Aunt Sabel died.' Alexandra said, nonchalantly.

'Shh! Alexandra, what nonsense was that?!' Rebuked Olivia as Rose snorted, 'Rose! Don't you make that noise ever again!' She added.

They waited for ten more minutes. The music thinning and arriving on lower notes, marking the imminent end of their performance, the loud voices somewhat muffling out. 

'Rose, Alexandra. Let's go and check what is happening.' Said Olivia, sounding worried and frowning. Alexandra complied, as they walked down the Palace steps. There was no carriage, even the crowd had dispersed, the music had stopped, by now.

'What is this? What does this mean?' Alexandra asked, frowning. She had said it in a joke, but had Aunt Sabel really...

'This means that there is a change in the plan.' Olivia hissed, sounding bitter and hurt. 

* * *

It turned out, that Aunt Sabel had expressed no desire to see the princesses. They had all, directly left for the feast. Alexandra groaned, learning of it. It would have been so much simpler if Aunt Sabel had lost her way or changed her mind or lost her nerve. But from the huge assortment of choices she had, the one she chose was to disrespect them. Especially Olivia, who had a fragile pride and was now vindictive.

'No information! No intimation! What is this supposed to even mean?!' She fumed under her breath, as they entered the dining hall. 'This is NOT the right way of a Palace visit! Hasn't she learnt anything?!'

Olivia had once been close to Aunt Sabel, twelve years ago, when she had been unmarried. And then, Aunt Sabel - from what Alexandra remembered - had always lived in gloomy rooms with dark circles under her eyes. Her tresses had always been unarranged and disheveled, and she had only agreed to speak to Olivia. Nobody had any idea what they talked - nobody wanted to have any idea. 

Now, that was a thing of the past. Olivia had moved on, so had Aunt Sabel. But Aunt was the one who had formed Olivia's base - and could a building ever move on from its own foundation?

That remained to be seen. 

'She has to meet-' Olivia continued, but she was interrupted.

'She can choose not to meet the less important parts of the Royal family.' A harsh, female voice replied.

Aunt Sabel looked very repulsive to Alexandra, for she had no earlier remembrance of her. Whatever was dark about her had gone darker and whatever was bad about her had gone worse - as for the good, she was very sure nothing remotely good could be found in Aunt Sabel.

For a description, since our memory always needs one: Aunt Sabel had a crooked nose, small eyes and thin lips. Her fashion was excess. It felt as though a whole cart of gold ornaments had been piled upon her. Right from the huge, nine hundred thousand coins' worth choker that she was wearing, to the tips of her finger, each having a small, fake piercing of gold. Each of her ten fingers were adorned with at least a single ring and the diadem atop her head, was old-fashioned and rusty. She wore an expensive fur even though it was mid-summer. And Aunt Sabel did not appear to the be the type of person to whom Alexandra, or anyone, could ever warm up to. 

'Oooooh, Olivia dear! You have grown into such a charming young lady! Come, come, have a seat!' She added, sounding like the scary, old granny in horror tales, where the granny first called the children near her and then ate them up. But Olivia complied, bowing low and taking a seat, her face still holding a disgruntled look. 

Alexandra then noticed someone else too, sitting next to Aunt Sabel. It was a young boy of about eight or nine. Alexandra vaguely heard Aunt Sabel say that Rose was living up to her name, but she couldn't lift her eyes off the boy. He had slightly long, black hair to the tip of his eyebrows and was unnaturally pale. The boy wore every bit of ugliness that Aunt Sabel had, but somewhere, he looked irritated and uncomfortable. The look one held when ill. He sucked at an expensive, chilled pomegranate juice and looked around the place, like a little devil searching for things to destroy.

'That is Prince Nicholas you are staring at, Alexandra, dear. The heir of Ethoris. But, staring is a bad habit. A very bad habit.' Aunt Sabel's voice ringed in her ears and she sounded downright terrifying. Alexandra tore her eyes away from Nicholas and turned to face his mother, who continued, 'You dear, could be a fine young lady too. But I have heard some things about you. Unless you drop those practices, I don't think we will get along really well.' She informed, raising her goblet to her lips. Aunt graced wine even at breakfast, as it seemed. 

'Young girls, shouldn't do the type of things you are doing. They are vile for your age.' Aunt Sabel smiled pathetically, putting a lot of stress on vile. 

'Old ladies should not have too much drink, Aunt.' Alexandra replied brightly, 'for they are already hard to handle without being besotted.'

She could feel her parents' hard stare on her back. And Olivia's eyes widening in the corner - Austin's fists balling on the table and Rose going paler. Alexandra had already failed to abide by Queen Ava's dictation. She had already, clearly crossed her limits. But Aunt Sabel seemed to need it a bit: her very effigy was baleful.

'Alexand-' Queen Ava began sternly raising a hand.

'No, no, Ava!' Aunt Sabel shook her head, setting her goblet down. 'Alexandra, you are right, my child.' She then nodded, equally brightly. 'Come here, sit down by me!' She offered, patting to the seat to her side. Alexandra frowned, looking at the seat. Either the Aunt was hard of hearing, or too high for petty remarks. She tilted her head to the side and looked on for a second, mute.

'Come on, child!' Aunt Sabel urged, smiling amiably. 'I tell you, not only old ladies, old men too, must not have too much wine. You see there was once this king, who in drunk state, decapitated his own son! The heir!' And she cackled, like it was very funny a tale. 'Oh the poor lad, I say! He was but eight.' She added, and then seemed to forget completely about it. She stood up and beckoned to Alexandra, slightly towering over her. Ignoring the tale and accepting the challenge, Alexandra courageously walked ahead, lifting her robes up slightly, her eyes on the Aunt's face. Just as she crossed her, Sabel sat down and stuck out her leg out casually in between Alexandra and the seat. And the last thing Alexandra felt, before crashing down on all fours, was her leg intertwining with the Aunt's.

'Ouch,' she gasped, landing on the ground. Queen Ava got up immediately, and so did Aunt Sabel. 

'Careful, child!' She exclaimed, kneeling down by Alexandra, 'careful!' She repeated, and then, in softer than a whisper, 'aunts are hard to handle. So, be careful around me.' She hissed contently, pushing her head against Alexandra's, reeking of wine. Not waiting for an answer, Sabel grabbed her by the elbows, pulling her up with surprising strength. 'I think this one is a bit unsteady.' She laughed, patting the niece.

Queen Ava seemed to buy that. 'She never wakes up this early. Alexandra, are you feeling alright?'

Alexandra was not feeling alright. She was feeling sick in the Aunt's grasp, wanting to push her away. But as it seemed, Aunt Sabel was not done yet. 

'Sleeping, is it? Alexandra dear, are you sleepy?!' She inquired, innocently. Her hand reached down, closing upon the pitcher of water on the table. 'Here, I'll wake you up.' She offered, and before any of them could register a thing, Sabel splashed the contents of the ewer right on Alexandra's face. As the cold water hit her face, she felt her hair reducing to a soggy mass and her dress dampening. Coughing and gasping, she pulled herself away from the Aunt's grasp, wiping her face with her arms. 

Alexandra had half a mind to lift the wine goblet and splatter that drink on Aunt Sabel. With herculean effort, she controlled her shaking fists and mounting temper. 'Thank you, Aunt.' She told her nemesis, smiling and sitting down beside her, despite her soaked dress. Such was the code of conduct which Alexandra couldn't break. Queen Ava's brows were knitted together, but she too sat down, shaking her head. Rose and Olivia were looking down. Austin leant towards King Adelard and whispered a word. Seeing that the others were busy, Alexandra bent towards Aunt Sabel and whispered, amicably, 'I shall certainly repay this kind of yours, Aunt Sabel.'

And perhaps that was the line, with which, Alexandra sealed her fate.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

208 1 15
-------------------------- " you are? " " Uhm. i am Alex, your bodyguard. " Holy fuck. I thought to myself. Was I actually about to have to put up wi...
4K 146 18
Charlotte King. A bubbly, smart, fun teenage girl to be around. Until her mother died. She becomes nearly mute and almost a loser. Her dad gets an of...
115K 4.7K 36
Alexandra Williams doesn't like the idea of staying in a house cooking, cleaning, and sewing all day; so she leaves her home and runs into two men dr...
1K 55 35
Elena Marie Owens, a cool, Independent 15 year old. A very well known person around New York due to her talents in the Arts and Crafts, and one of he...