THE HEARTBREAK SOCIETY

By itssaliicee

ST. BLAIR'S BOARDING ACADEMY, known to house the richest of the richest, the elites of society, most of all... More

➴ THBS
➴ AESTHETICS
➴ PRELUDE
➶ PART ONE
➶ 2
➶ 3
➶ 4
➶ 5
➶ 6
➶ 7
➶ 8
➶ 9
➶ 10
➶ 11
➶ 12
➶ 13
➶ 14
➶ 15
➶ 17
➶ 18
➶ 19
➶ 20

➶ 16

1.8K 105 129
By itssaliicee

I STARED, AND THE baby pink Lamborgini stared back. It was starting to hurt my eyes just looking at it. Tied to the top was a gigantic red bow, and it made me unable to think straight. Blinking, I rubbed my eyes to make sure I wasn't hallucinating from deprivation of sleep from the last few days. "What is this?"

"The baby pink Lamborgini you wanted," he boastfully puffed out his chest as though this was the best decision he had made. He searched for the keys through his pants before waving them in the air. I wasn't materialistic, but a Lamborghini? It was different. I cupped my hands, and as he nearly dropped it into my palm, August snatched it back. "I need a favour, by the way." 

Tossing him a dismissive and disgusted looked, I snapped my head away, "Suddenly, I don't need it anymore," I shook my head, "In fact, I'm better off without it." I was internally glad that he had parked it in the lot of the hotel where few people went. I didn't have enough energy to interact with anyone.

"It's not a big favour, and I couldn't think of anyone who could play the part well," he pleaded with a pout. He clasped his hands together in a begging gesture. "I just need to a few people off my back." 

Questioningly, I lifted my eyebrow, "How many times are you going to use me as a shield?" I teased, "Careful, I might think you're interested in me." 

"And what if I am?" He shot back with a smirk. 

I gagged with a frown, raising my hand in front of me, "Don't ever say that again. It's making me feel nauseous all of a sudden." 

Like a puppy that was abandoned, he stared at me incredulously, jaw dropped, and beyond offended. Perhaps being around me was shattering his arrogance piece by piece, and it felt like I was doing a favour to the world. "And suddenly I know why you've never had a boyfriend," before I could ask him how he was so sure, he snickered, "Don't try to lie. I've already done my research." 

I rubbed my temples. The research he had done on me was nine-eight percent made up, and the other two were about the sad love life that Landon's genius hacker friend, Karma, decided to include just to mess around with me. I was getting betrayed left and right, and I was going to give Karma a piece of my mind sooner or later. The idea suddenly popped in my head, and since I was already this deep in shit, it didn't matter if I just plummeted. "Since we're fake-dating and all, we're going to go piss the fuck out of Liana."

The mischievous side of me was showing. He tossed the keys in my direction and I caught them with ease. "Deal." 

"YOU TRICKED ME, SHITHEAD," I whispered harshly, digging my elbow roughly into his ribs. This wasn't how I expected to spend a Saturday evening in France, especially with the likes of August Laurent. The restaurant walls were gilded in gold with paintings at every inch of the ceilings. Hell, I was lost in admiration when I had seen the fountain of wine. 

His arm slid playfully around my shoulder, swaying me side to side. "Smile. You're meeting my parents, love bug," sang August sarcastically. "They'll finally quit proposing the idea that I get engaged."

It was normal to have political engagements young, but it was outrageous that it had to be me standing as an obstacle for his parents. "And you couldn't find another girl for this?" I countered, biting my cheek. No matter how many times I was around him, it was a sin for how heavenly his cologne smelled, and so, I found myself leaning closer.

"Truthfully, you fit the criteria. It wouldn't be believable if I brought a random model home," he huffed. "Of course, you don't have an outstanding family, but you should be able to make it work with that sly tongue of yours." Swirling his martini glass of wine, full to the brim, he untangled his arms around me, turning to wink at me as he leaned back in his chair.

Using the edge of my heel, I dug it into his foot with a coy smile, watching as his expression paled. He flinched from the pain, slamming down his glass and cleared his throat, murmuring incoherent curses. "D-Did I mention you look beautiful today?"

"Several times," I brushed off nonchalantly, sitting on the edge of my seat as I tapped my fingers against the table. When August asked that I dress classy, I suspected that we would ward off a fling or two, not meet his parents. It made me unconsciously wary of my attire.

Wearing a mint green silk dress draped over my shoulder, it was fashionably tied at the waist to give the impression of an hourglass figure. I had paired it with a silver clutch and matching ankle-strapped heels. I had even made sure to wear a heart-shaped mint green diamond necklace, but what if I didn't look expensive enough for them? "I'm leaving," I announced, mostly to myself. 

Pushing myself from my seat, my eyes met with auburn ones, "I apologize. Were the two of you waiting long?"

"Not at all," I lightly conversed, extending my hand out of habit. "Nice to meet you, Mr. Laurent," I greeted, "Mrs. Laurent."

In a swift moment, he firmly shook it. "You've got business savvy," he laughed, "You can call me Kian, and this is my wife, Thalia."

Beautiful was an understatement. And it was clear to see where August received his genes from. August's eyes were an icy grey with small golden specks of auburn around his iris. With small features that belonged to his mother, it seemed as though he was the replica of Mr. Laurent.

The resemblance was, frankly, uncanny. He had inherited his father's jet black hair, defined jaw, and high cheekbones from his father. The dimples, eyes, and aloof attitude were from his mother.

August stood up to kiss his mother's cheeks with a dazzling grin, then pulled back to gently pat my lower back as if to remind me to not mess up.

I cleared my throat, turning to greet Mrs. Laurent. I immediately recognized the familiar dress and said, "I see you're wearing one of Stasia Storm's latest works," it was an off the shoulders midnight blue mermaid dress with a slight plunge. Anyone would have been able to see the amount of effort. With small diamond gems carved into perfection and intricate lace detailings down the neckline, the dress must have costed a fortune. And despite I couldn't fully see the dress, I was well aware of the slit on the left side from the knee down. "It pairs extremely well with the Zoe diamond necklace you have." The ten-carat diamond was bought for thirty-four million, and I was seeing it up close and personal. 

Both flattered and impressed with my knowledge in fashion, she took a seat, glancing distastefully at my extended hand. With a delicate up-do framing her face, she fixed the smudge of her light peach lipstick at the corner of her lips. "You have a wonderful eye."

Although his father was warm and welcoming, his mother had clicked her tongue in disapproval and refused to acknowledge me. Still, I pleasantly greeted her and sat down. To improve the atmosphere, Mr. Laurent spoke, "I hope August isn't a pain in the ass," his father joked, "He tends to be overly stubborn and often arrogant."

"All is bearable," I replied casually, "He's a real sweetheart when he chooses to be." I tapped his bicep to pretend that we were closer than we actually were.

"It's rather a surprise to see him in a serious relationship," his mother abruptly stated skeptically. "How did the two of you meet?"

August chuckled, "Calista would love to tell you about it," he nudged my foot, and I resisted the urge to shank him with my heel.

"As you may know, I'm a scholarship student," I tightly smiled. "And the first time August and I met, he dumped a kale smoothie over me," I leaned over to hug his arm as his parents' expressions morphed into alarm. "But he suddenly kept bugging me whenever he had a chance to," I added. "He even went as far as to take me along to the charity event by the Alexander's, and it was when I realized his heartfelt feelings."

Although I was adding white lies, I didn't miss the deadly glare and dangerous aura emitting off August. "That sounds like my son!" Gleamed Mrs. Laurent. "Is this why you refused any potential marriage candidates? This must be why you stopped fooling around!"

"Mother," began August with a sigh. But because he didn't seem to want to argue, August remained quiet. He pinched my wrist, and I took this as an opportunity to stomp on his foot.

His mother must have been an absolute romantic because her attitude toward me had entirely changed, and I felt bad that I was lying through my teeth. I would have been able to sleep soundlessly without that damned baby pink Lamborgini anyway. "So when will you be getting married?" She asked earnestly, resting her chin in her palms.

I choked on my own spit as August spit part of his wine out, "Mother," he whined in embarrassment.

"I'm only partially kidding," she shrugged, rolling her eyes as she opened her menu.

Mr. Laurent was observant. I could sense the way he tried to see through my lies, but to no avail. Although it was intimidating and nerve-racking, I pretended not to notice. "It reminds me, Calista, how about you quickly help me pick through a few photographers?"

"Sure, it'd be my pleasure," I answered, rather too ecstatically. It was my nature to like anything related to business.

Pulling out his phone, he showed me five potential photographers ranked highest to lowest—the most famous to the least. Any sensible person would have chosen the first and called it a day. After briefly skimming through each file, I tapped on the unknown photographer with the least amount of recognition. "Easy, it should be him," I turned the phone back. "Although he lacks a large base, his works have more sincerity in them—like he genuinely loves being in this line of work. And when you first take notice of his numbers, they may seem lower than the average. In actuality, he has an extremely active platform with the most latent ability to grow and go further," I continued, and when I realized how opinionated I seemed, I added. "Of course, any would be a good choice."

"My son's found a good match. I've got a great daughter-in-law, hm?" Clapped Mr. Laurent haughtily. I choked again on the words as August patted my back. And sipped slowly on my water, regaining my composure, he chimed in, "And here I was thinking that I should have him marry Caeden's oldest daughter."

I spluttered out the remnants of my drink into my napkin, "Oh my, are you okay, hun?" Just peachy, I wanted to mutter out. "You should be more careful." Then his mother, who was perched over the table, cleared her throat and tried to act apathetic by looking at the time on her phone. "If you're looking for a quick cheque, it's not working."

August continued to lightly pat my back, despite that I had recovered from my initial surprise. "You must be very close with Mr. Storm?"

He had looked elated and smug when I brought the name up. Crossing one over, Mr. Laurent rubbed his chin and smirked, "We're what you younger folks call besties," I blinked, mouth agape, continuing to listen as he rambled on about their friendship. "Speaking of which, he should be attending the upcoming event," he said. "If you weren't with August, I would have sent you off to meet his son." August's hold on my waist tightened. 

And then, I shivered at the thought of how my father would react when he learned that I voluntarily walked into the lion's den? This was going to be a very, very long trip. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

595K 19.8K 47
HEIRS SERIES #1 ~Eres Academy~ Paige Bennet is a commoner. Wealth isn't in her vocabulary, nor is designer...
1.2K 259 44
....tears begin to form in my eyes "Please Jay, you can't tell anyone. What can I do for you to not tell people?" I beg. "Nothing" he says unmoving...
375 32 28
in which the upper east siders of St. James and their privileged children, get a hard taste of their own medicine. A dose of power. Not just any powe...
259K 8.9K 41
Nicola has just transferred to Xavier Academy, an elite boarding school. She has begrudgingly left her familiar life in North Carolina for a prep sch...