The Gift of the Princess (HTT...

By PedePaulie

Princess Eira of Torvald is pleased to have found her place in the archipelago. She is doing good work on Ber... More

Daily Struggles
The Dragon Trappers
Gathering Information
Little Progress
Working it Out
An Old Friend
Dragon Training
An Unexpected Turn
Clashing
The Search
Critical Choices
Discovered
Reunion
Fading Fast
New Plan
Recruits and Setbacks
One Step More
Final Preperations
The Brawl
A Stronger Power
A New Chapter
Cut Off
Obstacles
Adjusting
Conversations
Village Life
A Chief's Predicament
Protection
Disappearances
Insights
Getting to the Bottom of Things
The Truth
Figuring Things Out
Striking Back
Roadblocks
Changes of Heart
The Right Way
Hostile Welcome
Working Hard
Differences of Opinion
Options
The Meeting
Taming
Conquering Fears
Drago's Plan
Wild One
The Second Attempt
Moving Forward
Pressure Mounting
Lingering Doubts
Taking Charge
Going All Out
Dwindling Chances
Redemption
Taking Sides
Brewing Storm
Fully Prepared
Showdown
New Beginnings
Epilogue

Brave and Bold

58 4 0
By PedePaulie

Chapter 43: Brave and Bold

"Don't worry, Toothless," Eira said to the Night Fury, "Hiccup isn't abandoning you."

"That's right," said Ingrid. "Sometimes friends need to be apart, and that's okay. You'll see him tonight." Toothless snorted in response. The three of them were gathered outside the Great Hall, where hordes of Vikings met in groups to discuss their plans. "So, who else do you think would join us?"

Eira looked around. "Well..."

"There you two are!" Valka broke from the crowd to approach the sisters. "I would like to join you on your quest."

Eira and Ingrid exchanged glances. "You know part of our mission is to rescue Drago, right?" Ingrid said.

"I assumed as much. I may not be able to offer much help in that regard, but I will not impede you. I may, however, be able to help with your Night Furies. I may not know much about that particular species, but I did live with dragons for over 20 years. I should be able to communicate with them."

"That makes sense," Eira said. "You can join us."

"We should ask Snotlout too," Ingrid said. She turned to the crowd and began to wave her arms. "Hey, Snotlout! Come join us!"

Snotlout stopped on his way to Astrid's group and looked at her. "No way! I don't want to go back to that island. I'm going to be a warrior. That's what a real Viking would do."

Ingrid rolled her eyes. "No, a real Viking would go where he's needed."

"Exactly. I'll let you ladies handle this one." With that, he continued on to the training group.

Ingrid groaned, shaking her head. "And here I thought things were going so well. I thought we agreed to support each other. Now he's back to this." She looked in Snotlout's direction with dismay.

Eira cast her sister a sympathetic look. "I'll talk to him." The two of them had not spoken in awhile, and maybe she could get something out of him as his friend that he was unwilling to tell his girlfriend. She glanced at Toothless. "Care to join me?" The Night Fury growled his ascent, and the two of them set off for Astrid's group.

"Sorry, Eira," Snotlout said when he saw her, "I'm busy right now." He turned to face Astrid, who appeared to be giving instructions to the large group of Vikings. Toothless walked all the way around to face Snotlout and snarled. "Okay, fine! I'm sure Astrid can fill me in later." He turned to Eira. "What's on your mind?"

"That's what I was going to ask you," said Eira. "Are you feeling alright?"

"Never felt better! Why do you ask?"

Eira frowned. "Because you just blew off Ingrid, and it upset her."

Snotlout's face flashed with concern for a second before being replaced by indifference. "She'll get over it. I'm doing this for her."

Eira eyed him skeptically. "How do you figure that?"

"I'm showing her my strength and courage as a Viking. She won't have to worry about anything, and she'll never leave."

"But you don't need to do this to impress her. She already likes you, and she's not going to leave."

"That's not enough. Our relationship will remain stagnant if we're stuck at 'like.'"

Finally, Eira thought she understood what was going on. He was trying to take the next step in his relationship, although he was going about it all wrong. "Instead of doing all this, why don't you try talking to Ingrid about how you feel?"

Snotlout scoffed. "That'd make me look weak."

Eira raised her eyebrows. "Would it? How many times has talking solved your problems? Has it ever made them worse?"

Snotlout frowned. "Well..."

"Talk to her, Snotlout. You won't regret it." Eira and Toothless left a conflicted Snotlout to mull over his life choices.

***

Ingrid paced back and forth while she waited for Eira to return. Why was Snotlout acting so weird? Just when she thought she understood him, he went and did something unexpected. She halted her pacing and let out a heavy sigh.

"Ingrid," Valka said gently, "are you alright?"

Ingrid turned to her in frustration. "No, I'm not alright! I don't know what's up with Snotlout. First, he act like he's going to propose to me, then he ignores any opportunity to be alone with me while trapped on that island, and now he's avoiding me to play warrior." She smiled sheepishly when she realized her problems had tumbled out of her mouth. "I'm sorry. I don't mean to burden you with my problems. I just needed to say them out loud."

"That is quite alright." Valka's expression tuned thoughtful. "He was going to propose to you? He did mention something to me about marriage before you two disappeared, though he seemed awfully nervous about it."

"I bet someone put him up to it. His dad probably." But that didn't explain the rest of his behavior.

Valka nodded. "I would not put it past Spitelout to put that type of pressure on his son... along with pressure to act like a proper Viking."

Ingrid frowned. "I thought he worked through that already. He knows he doesn't have to be like his dad."

Valka smiled sadly. "Some lessons need to be taught more than once. Perhaps you should speak to him about your concerns."

Ingrid sighed again. "If I can get him to talk to me. He's not much for sharing his feelings." She glanced at Eira hopefully when she approached. "Any luck?"

Eira shook her head, giving her an apologetic look. "He's stubborn, but I gave him something to think about. Give him some time to mull it over. He'll come around eventually."

Ingrid cast her gaze to the ground. "Yeah, right." If neither of them could get through to Snotlout, was there anyone who could?

***

"He's hiding something in that cave," Krogan said to Reidun at the end of his explanation about his encounter with the titan wing Night Fury. While he intended to avoid her, he knew she needed to know what transpired. The two of them walked through the village while they talked. "Whatever is in that cave may have something to do with why he keeps attacking the village."

"You don't think he's aggressive by nature?" Reidun said as if the idea had never occurred to her.

Krogan hesitated. While he may not be able to gain much from his experience with Toothless, he did know that there was no way Hiccup could have ever tamed him if the species were generally aggressive, especially if the intelligent dragon knew Hiccup was the one who had shot him down in the first place. "No. There are aggressive species, but the Night Fury is not one of them. That means there is an alternative reason for his behavior."

Reidun nodded. "If we can figure out the reason, we can focus our efforts on mitigating it."

"Exactly."

Reidun smiled at him. "Well, then, I would not say your expedition was a failure. You did learn something, and you will be better equipped next time."

"Yes." Krogan did not intend to give up just yet. He was determined to crack this dragon. "How did your training session go?"

"Very well, thank you. My people are not used to it, but they are working hard. Perhaps you could join us and lend them your expertise?"

Krogan looked away. "I better not."

"And why not? You did an excellent job fending off the attack yesterday."

Krogan curled his fingers into fists. "Too good of a job."

"Whatever do you mean?" When he did not reply, Reidun stood in front of him, forcing him to stop and look at her. "Krogan, what is the matter?"

Krogan considered his options. Perhaps if he told her the truth, she would leave him alone. "I almost killed a man. The leader... I stopped him from attacking you."

Reidun's eyes flashed in surprise. "Well, that is good, isn't it?"

"I went overboard. The threat was nullified, but I still almost killed him. It was an instinct. I wanted to do it." He looked away in shame.

"But you didn't," Reidun said softly. She placed a hand on his arm, and he lifted his gaze to meet hers, surprised by the compassion brimming in her eyes. "You resisted your instinct and did the right thing. I think that's more commendable than someone who performs the same action without the struggle." She moved in closer to him and raised her hand, brushing it against his cheek. "You are a good man."

Krogan brought his hand to cover hers. "Thank you." He was too amazed by her words and enjoyed her closeness too much to run away from her now. She smiled at him. When she moved in even closer, he tentatively wrapped his arms around her in an embrace. Her arms loosely hung around his neck while her head rested against his chest. He closed his eyes and drank in her scent along with much-needed peace. Everything was alright.

Eventually, she pulled away, and the spell was broken. "It's getting late. We should go. Good night, Krogan."

Krogan managed a small smile as he watched her leave. "Good night, Reidun." When he turned in the direction of his hut, he noticed a smirking Oliver in his way.

"Have fun?" said the kid.

"That's none of your business," Krogan said, walking past him.

Oliver scurried to keep up. "You like Reidun, don't you?"

Krogan sucked in a sharp breath. There was no use denying it now. "That doesn't matter."

"Of course it matters. If you like her, shouldn't you tell her?"

The innocence of the question sent an ache through Krogan's heart. He slowed to a halt and lowered his head. "No. She doesn't want to be with me. She shouldn't - not after what I've done." He sighed. "Don't worry about it. You wouldn't understand."

"Oh, I know what you've done."

Krogan spun around in surprise. "What?"

Oliver gave him a pointed look. "Do you really think Eira would entrust you with me without telling me about your past? I mean, she didn't give me any exciting details, but I get the general idea."

Krogan frowned. "Then you must see that it is a bad idea for me to get close to someone like Reidun."

Oliver rolled his eyes. "All I see is that you're letting your past dictate your future. Remember what Haldor told you on Torvald? You were pardoned for your crimes, which means it's like they never happened. You're free to be whoever you want to be."

Krogan wished it were that easy. "It's not enough to decide to be different. My instincts were developed by my past actions."

"You'll create new ones eventually. In the meantime, you should share your struggles with your friends so they can help you. Going it alone is only going to make it worse. There are people who will accept you. Like Eira... and from what I can tell, like Reidun." Oliver turned away. "You need to create more connections, not fewer. That's the only way to get through this."

Having heard enough, Krogan set off in the opposite direction. He needed some time alone. The boy's words circled his mind, causing him to question everything. It was easier when Eira was there. She always knew what to do. He knew he could not rely on her forever, so he had to figure this out for himself.

***

Eret decided to join Hiccup and Dagur on their trip to Torleif Island. He said his knowledge of the other side could help them form a strong alliance, and they agreed. The following morning, they met Eira at the stables, where she waited for them with Swiftwings.

"Hello, Toothless," Eira said brightly. "Are you ready for our mission?"

Toothless snorted and looked back at Hiccup with uncertainty. "It's alright, bud," said the chief. "Go on and help Eira. I'll see you tonight." The Night Fury slowly walked over to Eira and allowed her to pat his head.

Satisfied, the young woman turned to her own dragon. "You be good for Hiccup now, okay, Swiftwings?" She rubbed the Windwalker's neck.

Hiccup smiled at Swiftwings when she approached him. "Everything is going to be just fine."

"Yes, I'll take care of them!" Dagur said loudly while climbing onto Sleuther's back. "See you later, Eira!"

"Good luck, mate," said Eret.

"Oh, Hiccup?" Eira said hesitantly.

"What is it?" said Hiccup.

"I, uh, updated Krogan on everything... except about Ingrid and Snotlout finding Drago. I thought someone should tell him in person. Do you think you could do it?"

Hiccup did not relish the thought, but her look of innocent hopefulness made it hard to refuse. "Sure. I'll tell him."

Eira smiled slightly. "Thanks, Hiccup. Good luck."

Hiccup nodded. "You too." He carefully climbed onto Swiftwings' back. Fortunately, the dragon took well to him. He knew she was not as fast or maneuverable as Toothless, so he would have to take it slow. "Alright," he said once they were all in the air, "we're off to Torleif Island!"

Dagur darted ahead and led the way. Although they had talked about it the previous evening, he gave them another overview about what they were to expect. Soon, a small island came into view. The riders passed over the forest and descended upon the village. The dragons' presence caused a commotion, and Vikings gathered around them.

"I'm back!" Dagur shouted, presumable before they were mistaken as enemies. "And I brought friends!"

By the time they dismounted, Krogan had emerged from the crowd with a woman and a teenage boy. "Welcome," the woman said. "I am Chief Reidun."

Hiccup met her steady gaze. "I am Chief Hiccup of Berk. It is great to finally meet you."

"And I am Eret, son of Eret," said Eret, "greatest dragon wrangler alive."

Reidun looked at him with interest. "Are you here to help us with our dragon problem?"

"Yeah, I can solve your problem!"

"It's a titan wing Night Fury," Krogan said icily.

Eret paled. "Uh, well, no problem."

"We'll both help," Hiccup said.

"Hey, aren't you supposed to have a Night Fury?" said the teenager. "What are you doing with my sister's dragon?"

Hiccup smiled at him. "You must be Oliver. Eira and Ingrid have told me a lot about you. Toothless is not with me because he's working with your sisters. I thought he would be best suited to handle the flock of Night Furies that live island Ingrid and Snotlout found. He wants to show them that we should all be on the same side."

"Oh. That makes sense."

"That's not all they're doing!" Dagur declared.

Hiccup held up a hand to silence him. "Uh, that's right." He shot a nervous glance at Krogan. "Ingrid and Snotlout weren't the only ones trapped on that island. They found Drago stranded there."

Krogan stared at him with a cold, impenetrable gaze. "I see. I assume Eira and Ingrid are trying to help him?"

Hiccup nodded. "Ingrid said he was bonding with one of the Night Furies before they left, which sounds pretty unbelievable."

Krogan's expression did not change. "Interesting."

Hiccup let out a breath. He should not have expected anything more. The only person who could get an emotional reaction out of him was Eira. With that settled, he turned back to Reidun. "If you're not busy, I think it would be good for us to discuss the current state of affairs between our villages."

"Yes," said Reidun. "Let's go somewhere more private." She dismissed the crowds and then led everyone through the village. Hiccup was happy to see the villagers casting their dragons curious instead of fearful looks. It seemed Eira was onto something after all.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.2K 83 16
It's been three years since Stoick's passing and Drago's defeat. Life for the Berkians has been nothing but good thanks to the Dragon Riders and Chie...
198K 3K 35
We all have monsters locked away inside us, we're fortunate to have friends and family to keep that monster we have inside us pinned down. Unfortunat...
193K 6.9K 49
(COMPLETED) Once their time in the Great Beyond had come to an end, the riders returned to Berk for good. But thier search for new islands and dragon...
298K 7.3K 34
Hiccup, a boy living in the village Berk. Being a weakling yet the son of the chief. Y/n, a girl flying on her Night Fury. Loving to be free. Flying...