BOTW: The Lonely Knight

By Prince_Aeris

It has been 100 years since the Great Calamity struck the land of Hyrule. After a century of slumber, a young... More

The Wanderer
An Old Friend Forgotten
The Ancient Tech Lab
Hateno Village
Search for the Memories
Off to Lanayru
Zora's Domain
The Beast of Ploymus Mountain
Vah Ruta
Waterblight Ganon
Journey to Akkala
Mini chapter: Tarrey Town
Return to Kakariko
The Stolen Heirloom
The Spring of Courage
Voyage with Kass
Rito Village
Teba's Teaching
Vah Medoh
Windblight Ganon
The Hebra Mountains
The Assassin
A New Leaf
Eventide Island
The Spring of Wisdom
Lone Wolf
Link to the Past
Gerudo Desert
Gerudo Town
Lair of the Yiga
Vah Naboris
Thunderblight Ganon
The Molduga
Memories Unearthed
Hyrule Castle
The Lost Woods
The Spring of Power
Death Mountain
Goron City
Vah Rudania
Fireblight Ganon
The Titan
The Wedding
What Once Was
The Great Calamity
Despair
Remember
The Sword
Attack on Hyrule Castle
Calamity Ganon
Dark Beast Ganon
Epilogue

Diverging Paths

246 15 2
By Prince_Aeris

Tanis swung his new eightfold blade at the training dummy, tapping it lightly several times. After a few swings, he turned to Dorian, standing nearby and watching him.

"How was that?" he asked.

"Hmm, your form is still a bit lacking. This isn't a sickle, an eightfold blade requires grace and finesse. Take your time." the guard told him.

"I know I know... I'm still adjusting to using my sickle less."

"Alright, I get it. Anyways, I think that should be enough for today. I need to get back to work."

"Very well."

"Speaking of work, how are things coming along?" Dorian asked.

"It's fine so far." replied Tanis.

It had been a couple of weeks since Tanis had moved into Kakariko Village. During that time, he had managed to make a living off of bringing the villagers things they needed from the wilderness, like monster parts, small critters, wild herbs, etc... Though he did feel on edge every time he left the safety of the village, he pushed aside the feeling in order to make himself a living.

The young Sheikah had started to settle down quite well within the village. He had managed to purchase himself some traditional Sheikah clothing with some rupees he had gotten from selling monster parts. He found them quite comfortable, unlike the skin tight uniforms the Yiga had made him wear.

"That's good. Well, I'm gonna go now. See you later, young Tanis."

"You too.."

As the guard walked away, Tanis headed off into the nearby forest. Once he was deep enough, he drew his vicious sickle out and began swinging it, training himself. Though he did hate the fact it reminded him of his past, he knew he could rely on it to defend himself, and he had trouble convincing himself to dispose of it.

He continued training under the setting sun, alone in the woods, with the last remnant of his past that he owned.

Meanwhile

Link had returned to Lurelin Village and was sitting in front of a campfire, resting. Eventually, he was joined by Kass, who sat on the other side of the fire.

"I hope you don't mind if I join you, I need to rest my wings a little from playing my accordion all day." the bard said.

Link did not answer as Kass warmed himself up.

"Hmm... Strange. I have not seen that loyal steed of yours anywhere. Did you leave her at a stable perhaps?" he asked.

Link shook his head.

"She's dead. Killed by a bokoblin." he said bluntly.

"Oh... I'm sorry for your loss."

Link's face remained blank, as he lowered his head a little.

"It's nothing, I'll just get another one."

Though the Champion hid all emotion from his face, Kass' intuition led him to understand what was going on in his head. He began to think, as though he was searching for something in his memory. He began to tell a tale:

"You know, back at the stable when we first crossed paths, just south of it lies a sacred spring. There dwells the horse god."

Link raised his head, a little interested. Seeing the movement of his head reassured Kass as he continued.

"He is the guardian of all horses in Hyrule. And legend has it if you ask him to bring back your fallen steed, and if he deems it fit, he will do so. But be warned, for the legend says that he is easily angered, and if the horse was mistreated by its master, he will suffer a terrible fate..."

The Champion was silent as he heard Kass' story.

"I know it may sound a bit crazy, but if you truly believe that no horse could replace the one you had before, perhaps consider it. I'm sure the horse god would grant you your wish."

Link sat in silence, thinking about it. Kass suddenly yawned as he stretched his wings.

"Well... I'm going to turn in. Goodnight Champion. Good luck on your quest." he said as he got up and headed to the inn, leaving Link by the fire, alone.

The next day, further north

Tanis exited the forest near Kakariko Village. He had been out all morning, and was bringing back some things the villagers asked for: a couple of bokoblin parts and silent shrooms.

After finishing his deliveries, he ran into Paya on his way to the general store.

"Hi Paya!" he greeted her, smiling.

"Oh, hi!" she waved back.

Since Tanis' arrival, the two had become good friends with each other. A lot of the villagers were surprised, noticing that he was one of the few people to whom she seemed less shy around.

"So, do you want to spend some time out once I'm done with work?" he asked.

"Oh... Uh... That sounds lovely." she told him with a smile.

"Alright, do you want to meet by the shrine?"

"Sure!"

"Okay, see you then!"

"Bye!"

He waved goodbye as he got back to work.

"Sounds like someone has a date!" said Claree in a sing-song fashion. She had been listening in while they were talking.

"W-what? N-no, w-we're just spending time together as friends! I'm not-" Paya protested, her face turning a little red.

"You can't fool me!" chuckled the clothing store owner as she pranced off.

A few hours later

Tanis and Paya arrived at their meeting spot.

"Hi again." he greeted her.

"Hi." she said, returning the greeting.

"So, what do you want to do this time?"

"Um... Well, I brought my flute with me. Would you like to hear me play something?" she said, bringing out her instrument.

"Oh, sure, I'd love to."

"Okay!"

They both sat down on the grass, as Paya put the flute to her mouth and began playing.

Tanis smiled as he listened to the upbeat melody she was playing. He clapped when she finished the song.

"That sounded really nice," he told her.

"Thank you, it's a very old song. My mother used to play it for me when I was little." Paya explained.

"Did she teach you how to play the flute?"

"A little bit... But..."

"Oh... right. I'm sorry, you don't need to talk about it if you don't want to." he quickly told her reassuringly.

"Alright... What about your mother?"

"My mother?" Tanis paused for a moment, trying to think of how to phrase what he knew without giving his secret away. "... I... I don't have that much. I remember her as being a gentle soul towards me, unlike my stricter father. But she died when I was five..."

"O-oh... I-i'm sorry..." Paya began.

"It's okay, I've moved on from it, all of it..."

"Alright..."

The two watched as the sun set in the distance.

"Paya?"

"Hmm? Yes Tanis?" she turned to him, wondering what he was going to say.

"I always forgot to say this when we were together before..." Tanis began, "Coming here to Kakariko was really frightening, having to leave everything I had known behind. I felt better when I had someone the same age as me help me settle in and get to know the place. You were kind and easy going with me, and I honestly felt better because of you. What I want to say is... Thank you."

Paya's eyes widened a little as she heard him compliment her like that. She hid her face with her hand as she blushed.

"I-i'm glad you feel that way..." she said to him shyly.

Tanis simply smiled as they continued as the sun went down behind the horizon. Once the sun had set, Paya got up.

"It's getting late, I need to go home: Grandmother will be expecting me to be back soon." she said.

"Oh, alright. I'm gonna be training myself in the woods for a bit longer before I head home. So see you tomorrow."

"You too."

Paya headed back to her home. Tanis meanwhile, decided to head into the forest, to continue training by himself.

Meanwhile

Link teleported back to Ka'o Makagh shrine. Looking at the Sheikah Slate, the path heading to the Horse God Bridge, which led to Malanya Spring. Deciding that he'd take the risk, Link began to follow the path leading to the spring.

Back in Kakariko Village, 15 minutes later

Paya was busy writing in her diary when she realized something.

"Oh no! I left the flute back at the shrine!"

She got up and headed downstairs towards the front door.

"Where are you going at this hour, Paya?" Impa asked.

"I-i forgot something, I'll be back soon!" she simply told her as she left the house.

She ran back to the shrine and began searching around in the dark grass for her flute, her hands feeling around for it. Eventually, she finally found it, picking it up and holding it close to her.

"Phew..."

As she got up, she remembered what Tanis had told her about training in the woods. Wondering how he was faring, she decided to go down the path in the woods to see if she could find him. Following it, she came across a small clearing, lit up by the light of nearby blue nightshades. She could see Tanis standing there, swinging his weapon at a nearby tree.

That was when Paya froze, as a chill went down her spine. For in his hand, she saw his vicious sickle.

Flashback

It was a dark night in the woods. Paya was a young child as she knelt by her parents, both dead from several slash wounds, desperately trying to shake them awake as tears streamed her face, crying in fear. Standing above them were three Yiga assassins, two with similar looking sickles, and one with a windcleaver.

Before they could get the chance to attack her, several arrows flew at them, killing one of them as several Sheikah warriors rushed forward and began skirmishing with the assassins. One of them grabbed Paya and began carrying her back to the village as she remained frozen in complete fear, terror and shock, her eyes fixed on the motionless bodies of her mother and father.

End of the flashback

In that moment, Paya forgot everything as she began to run as fast as she could. Tanis quickly spun around, noticing her and realizing what she had just seen.

"Paya wait!" he called out to her, trying to get her to stop so he could explain himself.

But his pleas fell on deaf ears as fear and the memories of her past overtook Paya, making her run blindly into the dark forest. Her panic made her lose all sense of direction, her legs only hoping to get her as far away from him as possible.

She stumbled through the darkness, when in the distance, she could see the light of a fire. Thinking she was saved, she ran as quickly as could to it. But as soon as she came close enough, she realized she had made her situation much worse. She had run headfirst into the middle of a bokoblin camp. A blue bokoblin and a black one both grabbed their spiked clubs and approached.

Paya tried to run, but she tripped over a root, making her fall to the ground. Looking back to see the monsters approaching her, she desperately began to crawl for her life. Amused by her fear, the black bokoblin raised his club, ready to deal the fatal blow. Paralyzed with terror, Paya closed her eyes and waited for the end to come.

What she didn't expect was the puff of smoke as she heard the club hit something made of metal. Opening her eyes, she looked up to see Tanis standing in front of her, blocking the bokoblin's attack with his sickle.

"Grrr... Get. Away from her." he said threateningly.

The bokoblins ignored his warning as they charged. Being fairly stronger than the average bokoblin, the black one quickly disarmed him of his sickle, sending it flying somewhere into the woods. With no other option, Tanis grabbed the eightfold blade hanging from his belt and unsheathed it.

Leaping at them, avoiding their strikes as he slashed at them with the sword. He stabbed the blue in the chest, killing it. He suddenly felt a pain in his back as he was hit in the back by the black one, the spikes sinking into him, before being ripped out.

"Argh!"

With the pain in his back, he turned back and swung his eightfold blade at his attacker. After a few more strikes, the black bokoblin fell dead, turning to purple smoke and disappearing into thin air.

Panting, he turned to Paya, still on the ground, shocked at what had just happened. Carefully, Tanis knelt down in front of her, trying to ignore the stinging pain of his injury and focusing on her.

"Are you alright?" he asked her.

Still a little shaken, she shook her head.

"Good."

"Y-your back..." she said.

"I'll be alright... argh... I'll recover..."

Paya then asked: "W-why did you... Why did you save me? Y-you're a Yiga..."

"... No. I left the clan to start a new life here. I don't want to be a monster like them. But, I understand you can't see me as anything but one of them... It's best I leave-"

"N-no!" Paya blurted out. Tanis was left silent. Shyly, she continued: "P-please... stay."

"... Alright. Come on, it's best we get back to the village."

"What about your sickle?"

Tanis thought for a moment, before saying: "Eh, I don't really need it anyway."

He stumbled to his feet and reached his hand out to her. Paya, a little less afraid, took it as he helped her to her feet. They began to make their way back to the village. Paya felt Tanis' arm wrap around, and she smiled, as she finally saw who Tanis truly was on the inside, and remained close to him all the way back to the village, in the safety of his arm.

Meanwhile

Link had crossed the bridge and had arrived at the spring. It was like one of the Great Fairy Fountains, another large flower bud shut tightly.

"Boy... Sweet boy... Please... Listen to my story..." said a voice coming from the bulb. Unlike the other fairy fountains, this one's voice was a lot deeper and less gentle.

"Very well." answered Link.

"I am Malanya. Hast thou... I mean... Have you ever felt the pain of losing a horse companion? If my power returned to me, I may be able to help you in some way... So please... Help me regain the power I've lost... All I need is 1000 rupees... When my power is restored, I should be of use to you, who loves horses so."

A floating, disembodied hand reached out from in between the bulb petals and held it open.

"Now... You have rupees for me, right? Hand them over. Quickly!"

Link did as he was told, pulling out the amount of rupees needed. As soon as he held the rupees up, the hand snatched them from his and pulled them into the bulb.

"Thank you, are too kind."

The bulb began to pulsate. It opened up and bloomed like a flower as purple steam was released from inside.

"Nwaaaaaagh... I... am... Revived!!!"

Out from the water of the spring arose a huge being. It had white, braided on the lower ends, a long neck, a golden necklace and its face was but a large mask of a horse. Its brown jewelled hands floated near the rest of its body.

"Ho ho ho... At last! Free of that tiny bud after so long! If my arms were corporeal, they'd have been cramped for sure!

The god looked down at Link.

"And you're the one who set me free, are you not?" he said, twisting his head as he observed the Hylian below him. "My name is Malanya. I am the god who watches over the horses of this world. I suppose you deserve a reward for setting me free... What shall I do... SHALL I MAKE YOU MY MEAL?!"

Link stepped back for a moment, ready to draw his sword. Malanya simply chuckled at this.

"Hahaha, I only jest... Now then, you came here most likely because a horse that you were attached to died. I have the power to bring him or her back." His tone suddenly became more serious. "However, if I find that you had vile intent behind that horse's death... YOU WILL SUFFER MY WRATH! Let me see..."

The god began to wave his hands, as magical energy formed in their palms, and he gazed into them. Link stood there, unsure of what the deity's judgment would be.

"Ah... a horse, loyal and true to you, did fall during a battle. I COULD END YOU RIGHT NOW! ... I jest, once again. I can bring her back, if that is what you wish for." he proposed.

Link, face blank as ever, gave him a nod. As soon as he did so, the god began to wave his arms and head around in a sort of dance. A bright light shone behind Link as he turned around, shielding his eyes. When the light began to fade, he saw Epona, standing there in perfect health. She whinnied happily as she saw Link.

"I was successfully able to bring back your horse!" declared Malanya. "Next time, don't let it die! Horses are your partners. Don't forget that. If you are careless with their lives, you may regret it. UNDERSTAND?! ... I jest, for now!"

The horse god then sank back into the water of the spring, disappearing from sight. Link turned to Epona and walked to her. Though his face remained emotionless, he did feel... better, knowing that his noble steed was alright now. Stroking her mane, he handed her an apple, the horse gladly chomping on it.

After it had finished eating, Link got on the saddle, with the reins in his hands. Without showing any sign of loss of loyalty, Epona whinnied as she galloped off. The Champion stroked the horse's mane a bit more as he rode along, and thought back to what Kass said.

He realized that he was right in some regard. No horse could truly ever replace brave, loyal Epona. The two continued onward into the sunrise, ready to continue the quest to save Hyrule.

(Hope you enjoyed this chapter, and have a wonderful day!)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.1K 76 27
~Having returned after two years, I decided to edit The Heroes' Rebirth. I changed (hopefully) all of the spelling errors, fixed the grammar and chan...
6.3K 161 62
Time has passed. Hyrule is getting rebuilt. Zelda on the other hand is not quite sure what to do. She is no longer a princess, She's a queen with res...
458K 15K 43
"You will aid the hero during his journey in defeating Calamity Ganon." That was the order that was given to you by goddess Hylia. Although the godde...
12.9K 456 21
Zelda always wanted to explore the world above. As a mermaid princess, it feels like she's always under the watchful eyes of her overprotective fathe...