Bloodhearts

By MysteryOfWordsDK

When you're dead, you're dead, right? One dead guy used to think so. He doesn't know who he is or why he is a... More

Prologue: Reflection.
Chapter one: Dead.
Chapter two: Out.
Chapter three: Trust.
Chapter four: Wanting.
Chapter five: Blood.
Chapter six: Danger.
Chapter seven: Wounds.
Chapter eight: Wrong.
Chapter nine: Change.
Chapter ten: Cause.
Chapter eleven: Backwards.
Chapter twelve: Everything.
Chapter thirteen: Awake.
Chapter fourteen: Fighter.
PART TWO
Chapter one: Afterlife.
Chapter two: Perimeter Fence.
Chapter three: What If.
Chapter four: (Un)Identified.
Chapter five: The Returned.
Chapter six: New Life.
Chapter eight: White Noise.
Chapter nine: Pokémon Cards.
Chapter ten: Notebook.
Chapter eleven: Another Me.
Chapter twelve: Emergency.
Chapter thirteen: In the End.
Chapter fourteen: Rebellion.
Chapter fifteen: Grave Site.
Epilogue: Come With Me.

Chapter seven: A Message.

412 20 1
By MysteryOfWordsDK

JAY'S POV:

I stay out late the next couple of days. Cory and I haven't really talked since we made up because we have both been busy since there's been a lot of work to do. My dad still doesn't want to acknowledge how serious the threat of these rebels really is and he seems to think that by finding Don, we can stop all of them. I don't believe it's going to be that easy.

I spend my next free night with Jason and Peter. Jason is coaching the kids in football while Peter and I help out a little and watch. I watch Jason with the kids, thinking how weird it is that he's going to be a father soon. Elena is already pretty far along. It won't be more than a few months before she's due. Apparently, she hid her pregnancy for as long as she could. She and Jason argued about it. She said she was afraid she would lose it and didn't want to get his hopes up. Now, he has forgiven her for that and they both seem excited and happy about the prospect of becoming parents. I'm happy for them, too. But I don't think it will ever be me. I'm fine with that, too. It's not because I'm gay, but I just don't want children. I've never asked Cory how he feels about it, but our lives have been full of other and more pressing things up until now. 

When we get tired of listen to all of Jason's worries about fatherhood, Peter reveals to me he's also found a girl.

"We haven't been together all that long," he admits and can't stop the smile from spreading on his face. "But we can talk about almost anything. It's great. She's really great."

I squeeze his shoulder. "I'm glad to hear that."

"By the way, I heard Jason gave you a hard time about last night. What happened?" Peter asks me curiously.

I fight the urge to grimace. "You've probably heard what happened to me at the bar, right? Cory and I have been budding heads about it. He doesn't think my problems have anything to do with my being poisoned. Jason agrees. They think I need to talk about things - and that's the last thing I want to do."

Peter heaves a breath and glances at me. "But you don't look that bad," he offers, smirking. "Are you not making progress everyday like you said? Physically, at least?"

I don't meet his eyes and just stare at the kids laughing and chasing Jason who has the football under his arm. I don't feel like telling Peter everything.

"Some progress," I answer.

"Also..." Peter begins like there's something he really wants to tell me although he hesitates. "Why was Cory hanging out at the bar, anyway? Isn't it mostly for weirdos?"

Peter really knows how to hit the nail on the head.

"I don't know," I say honestly and don't bother to hide my irritation. I know Cory hasn't been back since Don tried to poison me, but I'm not going to bring that incident or Marc up again any time soon. I don't want to start another argument. Cory and I are barely keeping the peace as it is.

"I'm here if you ever need to talk," Peter promises.

Before I can thank him, my eyes narrow, seeing a figure coming running towards us. It's Isaac. His eyes are wide and he orders me to come along instantly. Peter tries to ask what is wrong, but Isaac tells him he isn't allowed to say. Jason has to stay with the kids and I follow Isaac to a vehicle and we drive off. I try to get him to talk several times, but Isaac refuses to say anything even to me.

"It's better if you just see it," Isaac explains and takes me home of all places. The road is sealed off and a bad feeling rises in my stomach. At first, I think someone I love is hurt, but seeing both of my parents and Cory standing in front of the house, makes me less worried. Cory is talking to my mother and he glances at me with a frown. My dad comes over and stops me before I can go to Cory.

"Are you ready to go to the center tomorrow?" he asks me. "We need to stop this rebellion before it gets any further momentum."

I feel relieved the seriousness of the situation finally seems to have hit home with my dad.

"Of course," I answer. "But what's happened here?" 

My dad points to the front door. A body has been thrown in front of it and a message has been attached to its chest. The body is unmistakably the body of Marc's friend, Don, and the message has been written in some kind of black ink, probably homemade.

Last warning, General. Free all of the returned and make sure they are treated with the respect they deserve. If you don't, we won't just go after your son next. We'll be coming for you and your wife.

"Dad, what do they mean by last warning?" I ask, making sure he looks me in the eye.

He crosses his arms. "I receive threats all the time, son. Do you expect me to keep tabs on every single one of them?"

I point to the dead body. "I expect you to keep tabs on threats like these," I reply sharply. "Why didn't you tell me?"

My dad's arm uncross. "I sent for you, didn't I? Just make sure you're ready for your mission, that's the most important thing right now. You are to arrive tomorrow night at 0600."

I try, but he won't discuss the issue any further. This demand is crazy seen from my dad's perspective, but I don't think he sees the desperation behind the message. Sadie and her people are trying to help every individual that comes to the center and it's easy to see this threatening message as arrogant like my dad does. But the returned aren't always treated as well as they should be. We all know it, we all see it, and most people just choose to pretend they don't. Ensuring human rights and a having a proper court system died with the old world, but we do try to help everyone in camp who needs it. But it seems we haven't been entirely successful.

"Maybe you should stay here," Cory offers when the body finally gets moved and we get to go inside and go to sleep. "I'm not sure the center is where you should be right now."

I take my shirt off, climbing into bed next to him. "You think I'm better off here, stuck in this house? Because that's where I'll be if I don't follow my dad's orders. He can easily have me put on house arrest if he thinks I'm not able to work."

Cory mumbles something under his breath I can't hear. 

"Look," I say, sighing. "None of us are safe if we just do nothing about these threats. What if I can find something in the center that could help us get to the bottom of this?"

Cory watches me with a frown. He doesn't argue any further. Instead, he scoots closer to me, putting his head on my chest. Maybe we're both too tired to deal with more problems tonight.

CORY'S POV:

When I wake up, I realize that I'm alone. What a surprise. I'm still on desk duty because of my stupid leg. It's the General's orders and I wholeheartedly disagree with his decision. We do have vehicles and I can walk even if it's slow progression. I'm given easy assignments that leave me reeling for more information about these threats. I think about it all day. My leg might be broken, but my mind isn't. Everybody's been on edge ever since we found Don's body. Some of our best doctors are working to find a cause of death. That's about the only thing I know and I hate it. I know the General is trying to take some of the stress off of my shoulders, but desk duty has the opposite effect on me. 

My thoughts turn to Jay. He leaves for the center tonight to carry out whatever mission the General has given him. I haven't seen Jay since last night and part of me is worried I don't get to say goodbye to him before he leaves. I have a bit of a problem saying goodbye to him. A small part of me is always afraid of losing him again when he leaves.

I know Isaac and Jason are responsible for carrying out an investigation into the threats, but maybe I do a little investigating on my own. I know Marc probably knows a little more than he says he does. And I think he might be interested in me. Maybe I can use that to my advantage and get him to talk. And since Jay is going to the center to investigate, I might as well go to the bar and do the same. Maybe it isn't a coincidence that Marc and Don are friends.

The bar is pretty full when I arrive, even if it is only mid-day. I don't have to look long to find Marc. He smiles when he sees me, but then it fades quickly and is replaced by guilt. He comes over anyway.

"Hi..." he says as he reaches me.

"Hi." I limp over to the nearest seat and he sits down next to me.

"I wanted to tell you how sorry I am about what Don did to Jay... Believe me, if we knew he was such an extremist, we wouldn't be hanging out with him. I just feel betrayed, you know?"

It's always hard to know when Marc is hiding something. Still, I'm pretty sure he is. My eyes narrow.

Marc senses my reluctance. "I promise you, we haven't seen him since he fled the bar."

I still don't say anything. I think Marc needs to sweat a little more before I talk to him.

"Look," Marc continues. "I know what you must think of me. I hang out at a bar with a group of other returned, not doing much. But it's pretty hard to get back into things. And it can be pretty hard to tell who the good people and the bad people are sometimes."

I shrug. "I suppose." I look him in the eye. "You really didn't know anything about Don being a rebel? You didn't suspect anything?"

Marc shakes his head insistently. "No, honestly, I had no idea. And I wanted to tell you I'm sorry about ruining your night. I feel like it's my fault."

"But you didn't poison Jay," I point out, watching him closely. "But we're trying to figure out who's behind all this. I think we will get them soon."

Marc smiles and doesn't look the least bit rattled. "I still want to help in any way I can," he says, repeating himself.

I nod. "You could start by being honest with me," I point out.

Surprise washes over Marc's face. He glances over at his friends, before leaning in close to me. "Look, I seriously didn't know Don was in that deep," he whispers. "All I knew was that he didn't like the way things are being done right now. Had I known he was this extreme, I'd have warned you."

I narrow my eyes. I want to believe him, but I'm not convinced.

"Did you hear what happened to him yesterday?" I ask.

Marc nods with a mournful expression. "We heard. We were all shocked. But despite his wrongs, we've been through a lot together. I can't help it if I'm sad he's gone." 

Marc orders a drink and gets me one, too. He almost finishes his own in one go. I raise an eyebrow. He really does seem to have a bad conscience.

"How is Jay doing?" Marc asks.

I take my drink, and stare at its contents swirling around inside.

"Are you afraid I've poisoned it?" Marc asks sadly. There is a hurt look on his face. 

I was thinking along those lines, but I decide it's getting ridiculous. So in response, I take a big gulp of my drink.

That seems to make some of the sadness leave Marc's face, but he doesn't dare to give me a real smile. Instead, he empties his drink.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 18.3K 23
WHEN THEY RISE, WE WILL FALL. We've seen the movies, we've watched the TV shows, but nothing will ever prepare us for a real zombie apocalypse. When...
61.5K 592 8
It's been five years since the plague struck. Leah knows there are other survivors, but she's avoiding them. She is doing just fine on her own. Survi...
8.3K 408 14
All Rights Reserved!!! BoyxBoy, Male Pregnancy, Zombie Apocalypse Mama Eveline's Ranch Sweet and innocent, Jade thought life was finally on...
114K 4.9K 64
Who would've know that Call of Duty Zombies, YouTubers, and reality, don't mix well together. I figured this out as soon as the apocalypse hit. My n...