For King and Country ⭒Caspian...

By starhewn

Defeat. Ruin. Capture. After losing your kingdom and everything you know, can you make a home in this new la... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Epilogue

Chapter 20

2K 45 36
By starhewn

The balmy breeze of summer swept through my window as I pried my eyes open. The night before had been fraught with emotion, and something about the hour that everything took place in kept a grey haze over the entire experience. I wondered if I had asked any of those that were present about the debacle if they would even recall it; as if it all had been a dream.

The castle was alive behind my door, the shuffle of feet, the timbre of voices, laughing, shouting, whispering, and everything in between reached my ears, so I rose to meet the challenge of facing the day with the night before still heavy in my heart.

As I opened the door, two guards leaned against the opposing wall, one a faun, with patches of fur sticking out of his leather armor, and the other a young woman, no older than I. When I first arrived, the assigned guards stayed inches from my doorframe, a sign of fear. To see this new guard detail, watching me from a safe distance, allowing me to move around in my room with some level of privacy brought a small measure of peace to me, despite not wanting to be watched over at all. 

"Princess," Said the female guard, stumbling into a clunky curtsy. The faun followed suit in a faltering bow. 

"You must be my custodians," I said, eyeing the two of them.

"I'm Rin," Said the faun pointing to himself, "And this is Cecily."

"Well, I'm pleased to meet the both of you. I figure we'll be spending plenty of time together," I said, clasping my hands in front of me as we began to walk down the halls. 

"We can hang back as much as you'd like. The King said to not let our eyes drift from you though, so we'll always stay within eyesight," Cecily said from behind me. 

"I'm sure you two will be able to read when I need some space, but I'm never bothered by pleasant companions," I said, tossing a smile over my shoulder. The faun, Rin, turned a deep shade of crimson at the fleeting smile. 

With the fields off-limits for the time, I settled for the gardens, enough of my life had been spent away from the kiss of the sun, that I would take it in any way prescribed to me, even if I had to hang halfway out a window with a sheet tied to my waist for the warmth to spread over my cheeks. 

"Where has Caspian run off to?" I said as we stepped into the bright, afternoon light. 

"He advised us that he would be in his office attending to some of his affairs-" Rin began.

"Look who decided to wake," Titus said from behind me. 

"Are you trying to brag on how little sleep you had? Not sure what kind of trophy that is," I laughed.

"Stamina, my friend, it's all about stamina," Titus said, throwing his arm loosely around my shoulder.

"You've been busy this morning?" I said as we paced the garden paths, Rin and Cecily trailing behind out of earshot.

"Morgan has been having a hard morning of it," Titus's face grew somber, "We've been making preparations for Destrian's funeral. Not to mention going through his documents to get her name on all of his deeds."

'Why didn't she wake me? I feel so bad knowing she's having to do this so suddenly."

"She asked that we let you sleep. You both got news of equaling shock last night," Titus said, looking down at me. 

"I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I just had assumed that many had moved past the traitor theory. I've been here so long and have not so much as tried to escape," I said, a sigh escaping my lips. 

"Nobles are taught from birth to anticipate the worst-case scenario, but bridges are burned that way," Titus pulled his arm back to his side, "Mistrust destroys kingdoms faster than any war."

"And where does trust begin again?" I said, stopping to smell a rose that seemed to reach out into the path with its paper-thin petals begging for praise. 

"You know, it's peculiar," Titus said, turning to me, "So many say trust is built with time, but I find trust to be another form of magic. Because it always sneaks up on you. It can't be predicted."

"Hopefully, the board of advisors will find some magic themselves," I tossed my hair over my shoulder, and continued down the path with Titus. 

"Oh, we'll show them magic," Titus said, a mischievous smile lighting up his face, "I consider myself to something of a magician." 

"Stop it," I said, bumping him with my elbow as a laugh spilled from my lips.

"Maybe they're right. You're so violent," Titus said, feigning injury, holding onto his arm. 

A servant came running down the path, the click of her shoes like the staccato beat of a drum. She was huffing, puffing, and muttering curses under her breath as the cobblestones caught her feet.

"My lady! Prince Titus! You must come to the courtyard. The King has summoned you,"  The girl said breathlessly, placing a hand over her chest as she caught her breath.

"Is everything alright?" I said, trying to catch her eyes. 

"I believe so. Just come quickly," She dipped into a quick curtsy and rushed off just as fast as she came. 

Titus and I rushed through the halls speculating what we were summoned for. Caspian wasn't prone to summoning us through a proxy. He had always said Why would I send someone to search you out when I have two good legs and just as much time in my day?

"My lady," Titus said, pushing one of the large entry doors open for me with a flourish of his hand. 

As I stepped onto the stone parapet, the jovial air Titus and I had beheld faded to shock.  Filling the courtyard were as many soldiers, Narnian soldiers, as could fit shoulder to shoulder. Banners were held high in front of each regiment, and in the first row stood lords and ladies I had not encountered before. 

Caspian's back was to me, but he turned upon hearing the sound of my footsteps, a sound he had grown used to, one he could have picked out amid a whole battalion marching. A small smile listed over his lips at the sight of me.

"What's this?" I said, trying to remember why these house crests seemed to hold a memory for me. 

Caspian's eyes twinkled, "Not everyone is against you," He whispered. 

"Who are they? More troops?" I said, a tone of impatience lining my words.

"Not just any troops. These are the houses that turned us away when we campaigned for their contribution months ago," Caspian always stared at my lips and along my jaw before he would place a kiss upon my lips, and that same look came over his face in front of the multitudes, "They have heard of your good faith. You have made them believe in our cause again."

Being spurned by those specific Narnian houses hadn't bothered me beyond the few moments past the initial rejection. Caspian made an effort to distract me after the envoys would meet us to turn us away, he didn't care to watch me feel like I was less than over the opinion of those who hadn't even laid eyes on me. But now, the faces of those who scorned me looked up at me, their minds comprehending that I was the woman from the tales the wind had carried over Narnian lands in my time there.

When Caspian's face turned back to face the crowd, it lost the touch of adoration that his eyes only held for me. His jaw became strong and his countenance pondering as he examined the crowds. The lords and the ladies looked up at him knowing they were at his mercy to be welcomed back into the fold.

"What would make a noble turn away their king, and spit on his choice of a trusted ally?" Caspian said, his voice echoing over the courtyard.

The only sound was the whip of the banners in the summer breeze as Caspian continued, "I have led us to victory before, and I will lead you to victory again. I would not put her forth," Caspian said, motioning for me to step forward, "If I didn't believe her to be a true asset...and friend."

All eyes shifted to me at the punctuated word. I was a friend of Narnia; welcomed and highly favored. The sting of the insults handed to me the night before began to fade at the balm of Caspian's words and the candlelit glow of hope in the eyes of those who stood before us. 

A lady with a long, white braid that fell to her waist stepped forward, "As Lady of House Trevellan, we lay our services at the feet of the King, and our apologies go to the Princess of Vidalia for our ignorance."

"May our shame be known so that peace can reign," Said a man with a fiery red beard that was plaited and twisted into intricate braids.

Like a call and response, the rest of the soldiers, lords, and ladies repeated the words after the man. The field fell silent, waiting for the tension to dissipate. 

"You have the right to address them," Caspian said, turning to me, "Or you can put debt on their names. A favor to be called in for the slight on your name."

Nodding my head, I stepped forward to face the crowd, "I find myself at a loss of words. It takes great courage to admit to yourself you were wrong, but even greater bravery to go to those who have suffered from your choices and admit that," My words wrapped and cloaked those around me as a sigh of relief spread through them, "Your debt is paid. I don't hold your trepidation over you."

"Princess," The Lady of house Trevellan stepped forward again, "Your name has traveled these lands. Tales of your wisdom have begun to close the breach.  They say you are benevolent. They call you The Peacemaker."

"It takes two to make peace, but it brings me joy that those around me see that I do put forth effort towards a harmonious alliance for us all," I looked back at Caspian and his face beamed with pride. 

The tides had turned so quickly.  The handful of advisors from the night before would have me believe that I was unwanted and an object of fear, but devotion had bloomed through the tainted soil of war. Maybe Titus was right. Trust was like magic, and magic had wound its golden tendrils through the minds of these nobles, giving them faith in me. 

"We'll celebrate tonight," Caspian announced, "A feast in celebration of the union of all of our houses once more; a celebration of redemption." 

A cheer erupted through the crowd. Forgiveness had been laid upon them, freeing them from the bondage of disgrace. The Narnian army's numbers had increased, yes, but most importantly, the internal conflict was turning from a fast-moving gorge to the trickle of a stream.

Caspian's fingers grazed my elbow, turning me back to the doors leading into the castle as the houses present dispersed to the camps to set up their lodging.

"They took us by surprise?" I asked.

"A watchman alerted us early this morning that Narnian battalions were marching this way," Caspian said, pulling us out of the doorway.

"You haven't slept yet?" I said. His eyes were dark underneath, exhaustion painting every feature in shades of grey.

"There'much left to do," Caspian said, despite the onlookers, he reached over and brushed a piece of hair out of my face. 

"Rest," I said, letting my cheek fall into his palm. 

"I will before the feast, but first I have called another meeting," Caspian offered his arm to me.

"Caspian, I can't face them again so soon," I said, taking a step back.

"Do you trust me?" His face beheld a softness, it wasn't a challenge, but an invitation into whatever plan he had woven. 

"Always,"  I slipped my arm through his. 

"I'm in control of this situation," Caspian said as he led us down the halls, "Morgan, Peter, and Titus will all be there."

I nodded my head, and when we came to the door I pulled all the fresh air I could into my lungs before entering the heavy atmosphere.

All the advisors were present once more. Caspian didn't even lead me past the threshold. He just took a piece of paper out from his overcoat and tossed it onto the table, sliding in front of Naerhys.

"This shouldn't take long at all," Caspian said, folding his arms over his chest.

"What is this?" Naerhys said, unfolding the paper.

"Just read it,"  Caspian said, his tone firm. 

Naerhys's eyes scanned the document before her face became flushed. She slid the paper over to Theodric, who adjusted his spectacles to read the fine print.

"You're done here," Caspian said, "All of those who supported the princess's removal from the country by death or exile are being removed from Narnian government effective immediately."

"Let's talk about this-" Theodric began.

"No," Caspian held up a hand, "In Narnian law, refugees are protected in every sense of the word. Threats of violence against them are against our edicts."

"I never called for violence-" Theodric started again.

"You called for her to be removed from a haven. That takes her out from our protection. Still against Narnian law, Theodric," Caspian said. It was apparent in his face that it pained him to cast Theodric aside, for the man had guided him through his reign insofar, but Theodric had stepped over a line that couldn't be uncrossed.

"A refugee? She's a princess from a wealthy family,"  Naerhys stood her eyes blazing. 

"What do you call a woman who was shut up in a castle for her entire life, cast aside, and pawned off for the best marital alliance?" Caspian's eyes were wild, anything Naerhys laid in front of him would be reduced to ashes in his wake, "She escaped terror too. She is under Narnia's protection, and if you can't protect her then you have no right to be in a place of power."

The other advisors that had agreed with the two of them couldn't meet Caspian's eyes for fear of feeling the scorching heat of his anger. 

"I love Narnia," Theodric piped up, "I would only ever put something that drastic on the table if I thought it was necessary for the protection of the people."

"You have a very purist view of Narnia then," Morgan said, standing from her seat, looking down her nose at the elderly man, "The essence of this land has always included protection of those under the hand of persecution.

"All those who seek asylum here will find it; no matter their creed," Caspian said, squaring his shoulders, "Now go."

Those who had grouped themselves in with Naerhys and Theodric left the room with Titus and Peter hurrying them out the door. A few advisors remained seated showing their alliance with Caspian and his decision to house me here. 

"Thank you for standing with me," Caspian said, sweeping his gaze over those still present, "Your allegiance to justice won't be forgotten in this life or the next."

"Thank you," I said, unable to restrain myself, throwing my arms around his neck. 

"I'm always going to protect you," Caspian whispered to me, his arms tightening around me. 

It occurred to me that he hadn't slept since the wee hours of the morning to find a loophole to protect me. He saw a threat to my life and immediately set to giving me physical protection and then eradicated any threats in his inner circle. He wasn't going to let this drag, he waged war with his voice and his pen till it was set right. The paper he had given to the opposing advisors had signature upon signature of those in parliament voting in favor of removing those specific advisors from their parliamentary seats. 

I could imagine him going from bedroom door to bedroom door and scouring the tents in the camps below, asking for signatures, posing his plea to people of power. He had rallied support in a matter of hours in the way he knew how, but somehow I know that even if he had gotten a no on every front, Caspian would have taken up his sword if necessary. 

"Now you have to rest," I said, pulling back from him. 

"We will handle everything with the preparations for the feast," Morgan said, shooing him away "Now go."

Caspian let out a small laugh, "Only cause I'm being forced to," He paused and looked at me, "You're the guest of honor tonight, you know."

"I've been here quite a while to be a guest of honor."

"Well, you're my guest and I'm honored to have you here, so that settles it," Caspian gave a soft smile and strode out of the room. 

...

It was a raucous feast, not the kind one would expect to be thrown in a grand castle, but joy flowed over.  Pints of ale were sloshed on the floors and servants walked around with platters of food as nobles reached up and plucked from it.

I sat at Caspian's right hand at the head table facing the revelry. Many of the tight-laced nobles had let their hair down and took part in the lively jigs that the small ensemble of musicians played.  Laughter was abundant and it seemed as if every person in the hall reverted to what their soul was intended to be-childlike and full of light. 

"Attention!" The man with the long, red beard from the courtyard was standing on a table. The wood creaked under his weight, and he swayed slightly from the strength of the liquor in his blood, "Tonight, Narnia has united under our great King Caspian-"

The whole room roared with whoops, cheers, and yells as reckless abandon tainted the air. Caspian's whole face glowed. He so rarely wore his crown, for he didn't care to lord himself over others, but tonight Narnia called for its king and he answered. Under the table, I reached for his hand and squeezed it.

"It is official-in two weeks' time we sail to war for our country; bonded to our cause," The man swayed where he stood and a couple of young men reached their hands up and steadied him, "And to this lady over here-"

The man's arm waved wildly in my direction, and the crowd turned to me and let out another cheer. Something warm built up in my chest, watching the people welcome me into their hearts. Every negative word said against me faded away slowly, only the blinding delight of feeling at home stayed with me. At that moment, Caspian and I felt united, as if we were a unit, more than just lovers.

"You have our devotion. We won't forget the sacrifices you've made to be here."

Something in the man's face was soft despite his threatening look. It would have been hard for me not to forgive these people. They were protecting what they loved and had no reason to believe I had their best interests. Rumors had swirled around me for so long, their only defense was to keep me at arm's length and take no risks. 

"To liberation and newfound alliances," Caspian said, standing up and raising his tankard.

We all stood with him clanking our tankards together. Neither of us could keep the widespread grins off our faces. After taking a swig of the ale, the party began again. Men, women, fauns, centaurs, and every creature one could think of were dancing in the middle of the feast hall. 

"I've got to find Morgan," I said, practically shouting so that Caspian could hear me over the din.

"Don't let any dashing lords convince you to run away with them," Caspian said, mirth in his eyes.

"Only if they have a better offer," I raised my eyebrows before turning to weave through the crowd.

Rin and Cecily stayed behind me as I moved through the crowd, always keeping a watchful eye. People would stop and clasp my hands, giving thanks or words of encouragement. The woman with the long, white braid, Lady Trevellan, had let her hair flow free, and actually stopped and hugged me tightly.

"You are a diamond in the rough, girl," Her wrinkled face was flushed and warmth radiated from her.

As I continued to push through the crowd, I spotted Titus off to the side of the dance floor with Lady Blair, the girl Caspian was assigned to court previously. 

"Would you care to dance?" Titus said, offering his hand to the girl with the tightly coiled, dark curls. 

"I think I'm fine watching," She said shyly, eyes going from his hand to his face. 

"Afraid I'll step on your feet?" Titus laughed.

"No," A strength settled in her eyes, "I just have been burned by kings before."

"Good thing for you I'm a prince," Titus stepped out onto the dance floor offering his hand once more, "Not a king."

The girl let down her walls for just a moment and took his hand, "This means nothing."

"Of course. We'll dance, then we'll stage a loud fight, and go our separate ways," Titus said, before swinging her into the fray of dancers. 

Morgan was in a quiet alcove filled with cushions, away from the noise of the part.  She and Peter sat there across from each other deep in conversation. I paused before entering, as it looked like they weren't having a light-hearted discussion. 

"I'm the lady of my house now. I have responsibilities. No time for lies,"  Morgan said.

"I think I just never thought it through. It was never that I thought I wanted to live two separate lives," Peter sighed, "I just couldn't demand that my siblings come here and live their lives, and I couldn't ask you to leave everything behind so that I could be with them. I don't want to live a life without you."

"You never asked me to go with you though," Morgan's voice turned pensive, "Maybe I would have gone. Maybe that would have been easier to just leave entirely than have to deny my father to his face."

"We can't live in the what-ifs. Your father needed you here, and you were with him up until his last moment. You did the right thing," Peter said, I could hear him shift onto a cushion next to her.

"I hope he knew that."

"I'm sure he did," Peter's voice softened, "We don't have to immediately start an official courtship. I don't want you to ever feel as I would capitalize on the loss of your father. I would wait another five years if that's what you needed."

Morgan paused before responding to him, "I'm scared, Peter. We've lived in the shadows for so long now, it feels strange not to hide in the darkness."

"We'll step into the light together," Peter said.

"Together," Morgan repeated back to him. 

Instead of pulling her from this moment with Peter, I thought better of it and stepped away. We would have other times to laugh and spend the evenings chattering away, but her and Peter had earned this moment. Morgan didn't need him, but he complimented her; just as blooms complement the greenery, not a necessity, but an addition that anyone who looks on can appreciate.

I came back up to the dancefloor and clapped and watched as everyone danced. Titus still had Blair out on the floor twirling and dancing. Everyone had kicked their shoes off, reeling at a dizzying pace. 

A hand pulled me in, and the dance that I was later told was called The Tangle, had me switching partners minute by minute. I was laughing so hard I could hardly dance properly.  It was such a bizarre sensation to feel so welcomed. In some ways, I felt like I had finally been invited into Narnia fully that night. There was no holding back, no reservations anymore. The door was thrown wide open and this was the mystical land written about in storybooks.

I peeled myself out of the dance and leaned against the wall catching my breath.

"You've had many hearts fall for you tonight," Caspian swooped in beside me. 

"Have I?" I said the air in the room was even warmer from the number of people packed in. A sheen of sweat glistened over his skin. He had tossed his overcoat, leaving a white drawstring tunic, exposing a peek of his chest. 

"You've won mine, but you already knew that," Caspian said, laughing and leaning in closer to me. 

We held eye contact, and heat that had nothing to do with the temperature bloomed between us.  I needed him against me, as close as I could have him. Caspian read my stare, and his lips turned into a slight grin as he took my hand, whisking us out of the hall. The party had only continued to liven, so no one except Rin and Cecily noticed our departure.

"I've got her," Caspian said turning to the two guards, "You may return to your post in a few hours."

I giggled, clasping his hand harder as we galavanted down the halls. We were like a couple of children running down the halls as Caspian led me with me following, holding my skirts up. My hair was loose and wild, and Caspian would take pauses to stop and tangle his fingers in it, kissing me wickedly right in the middle of the hall.  We were drunk on each other, unafraid.

Caspian pushed the door open to his room. It was pitch black, but I knew his body so intimately that I found his face and crashed my lips into his feverishly before he even had the chance to close the door. 

A smile formed through his kisses, as he took every delight in my insistence. His hand pressed against the small of my back pushing our bodies close together. My hand cupped his neck and his pulse quickened under my fingertips. 

Caspian immediately lifted me to where my legs wrapped around his waist. We didn't even bother removing our clothes in our frenzy, but Caspian pulled a hand free to work my skirt up my legs.  Our mouths still locked together, I felt my back against the cool stone wall.  Shivers went up and down my spine at the frigid sensation on my back.  His mouth swept kisses all over my collarbone as one hand undid the laces of his trousers. 

Caspian pushed into me quickly, causing an unfettered moan to echo through the room. With every thrust, my back pressed hard against the wall. Caspian's breath skittered over my neck as I gripped the back of his neck for purchase as my climax came ever closer.

"Say my name when you come," Caspian whispered into my ear, pressing a kiss to the tender spot after his heated words.

His gasps of pleasure echoed through my bones, sending my mind reeling into scattered thoughts. Sentences couldn't have formed coherently if I had even tried. His fingers gripped my thighs holding them steady as they started to tremble with the waves of pleasure. The pressure of his fingers grasping my thighs added just a bit of pain that set a fiery edge to each sensation.

Caspian

The stone walls projected the sound that anyone standing in the hall would have heard me, but the walls kept our secret.

Caspian lowered me down, holding my arms so that I could steady my wobbly legs. He leaned his forehead against mine, his breaths still ragged from the exertion.

"Let's lie down," I said, pressing a kiss to his lips. 

His arms scooped me up in a bridal carry, eliciting a gasping laugh from me. He laid me gently on the bed, before laying himself next to me.

"Did you imagine this is how things would be when you first saw me?" Caspian said, a grin in his voice.

"Are you mad?" I laughed, smacking his shoulder, "I was ready to end you."

"I bet you're glad you didn't," Caspian said, propping himself up on one elbow.

"Yes...most of the time," I teased, looking at him out of the corner of my eye where a patch of moonlight fell over his dark hair, a strip of light across his deep, dark eyes.

There were feelings I was ready to say. Words I had told no man before, for they were dangerous words that locked two souls into place, but it was time. Caspian had confessed under Lover's Moon, and I had waited for my heart to permit me, and now it beat out its assent under my skin.

"I love you."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

69.3K 3.3K 30
World War 2 is still in full force, and James Pevensie was stuck unwillingly in England. More than anything, he wanted to be back in Narnia, and he k...
85.5K 1.9K 22
Tensions between Narnians and Telmarines have never been so high. Many Narnians have lost hope in the return of the Kings and Queens of Old, and most...
52.5K 1.4K 25
"𝘐𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘳𝘴," 𝘩𝘦 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘧𝘪𝘳𝘮𝘦𝘥. .・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。. 𝗜𝗻 𝘄𝗵𝗶𝗰𝗵 𝗘𝗱𝗺𝘂𝗻𝗱 𝗣𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻𝘀𝗶𝗲 𝗴𝗼𝗲𝘀...
167K 3.3K 30
A Reader X Edmund Pevensie FanFic starting in the setting of the film Prince Caspian. This will be an ongoing series! I am open to suggestions and re...