Moonlit Shadows

By Avid_Rdr

20 years have passed since we last visited Blood Mountain. Life has continued on, but for some of Blood Mount... More

Dead Ends
Home Is Where Your Heart Is
Just Like Old Times
On Your Own Terms
Arrivals
Destiny
Getting to Know You
Old Aquaintances And New
Whom Can One Trust?
Moonlight
The Transgressions of a Few
Unforgotten Memories
Confusion
Treating the Wounds
When You Can't Stand To Be Apart
Distractions
Missing Luna
A New Plan
Connections
Getting To Know You
Come Back
Sounds of Grief
The Voice In Your Head
Today We Fight
The Full Moon
Pain and Hope
Friends Don't Let Friends Travel Alone
To London, To London
To Meet The King
So Close, Yet So Far
Things To Be Done
Sometimes It Takes A Vampire
Betrayal
Every Problem Has A Solution
Suspicion
Unleashed
Live To Fight And Fight To Live
Know Your Enemy
How Does One Win in a Bloodbath?
And It Ends in a Reckoning
The Slowest Way To Die Is To Wait For A Loved One To Live
Appreciation for the Mundane
Narrow Misses
Wounds Can Be Healed By Truth
Finally Home
Wedding Jitters
Two Become One
Overwhelm
The Best Is Yet To Come
Epilogue

Doubts and Decisions

542 53 58
By Avid_Rdr

The battlefield was silent except for the crunching of large paws through the snow. Jungkook had come to stand behind Jaci, resting his nose on her shoulder. He breathed out a rumbling huff, and his breath became vapors in the air. Jaci's shoulders were still shaking, but no sounds were coming from her.

Derrick's body laid motionless in the snow, the blood slowly ceasing its flow from his side. Jungkook wasn't particularly fond of the man, but he felt he needed to respect that he had been Jaci's mentor. But that was all Jungkook was choosing to respect.

"Ugh," came a raspy voice from behind Jungkook. He looked back over his shoulder and saw Taehyung looking around blankly.

"Tell me that bastard is dead," grumbled Taehyung, letting Sunny help him sit up.

"Shh, Tae. Jaci's grieving," mumbled Sunny, pressing her hand to Taehyung's mouth.

Taehyung rolled his eyes and sat silently, secretly wondering when his life became so hen-pecked.

* * *

"Jaci, what can I do to help you?"

Jungkook reached out to her first. Hoping the bond could help them communicate without embarrassing her or upsetting her too much. But all he received was silence.

He gently nudged her neck with his nose and waited for a few more moments.

"Jaci? Can you hear me?"

"Yeah..."

"How do I help you?"

"I'm angry."

Jungkook was not expecting that answer. It was expected for her to be a bit upset about Derrick's demise, but after everything that had been revealed, would Jaci really be angry with him?

"At me?" he asked shamelessly. He was hoping above all hope that the answer would be no.

"No...not at you. I don't want to come across as rude, but can you get out of my head for a bit? I just want some time to process. Alone."

Jungkook felt hurt by her statement. But who was he to argue with what she wanted?

He backed away from her and headed towards his pack, casting one more hopeful look back at her, but she didn't meet his gaze.

"Take as long as you need, but we have to dispose of these bodies."

"Fine."

Jaci pushed herself up to her feet, looking down at Derrick's face with a confusing mix of sadness and disappointment. Then without so much as looking up from the ground, she headed off into the woods.

* * *

Jungkook whimpered as he watched her go. His wolf was whining, wanting desperately to console its mate, but she was silent as well, meaning neither he nor Jungkook were wanted.

Sunny quickly stood to her feet and started to walk after Jaci, but a cold hand grabbed her ankle.

"No, let me. She's had enough coddling. It's time for her to buck up and face the music." Taehyung scowled as he stood to his feet and stomped off after Jaci.

Sunny's eyebrows shot up and she looked over to see Jungkook's reaction, but he was already checking on his pack mates, tail and head both low to the ground.

Sunny looked at the dead Hunters. Hopefully, this fight would send a message to the Society to not come back to Blood Mountain, but she really had no confidence in that. Hunters hated to leave loose ends and right now there was an entire mountain full of them.

* * *

"You're not too smart," called Taehyung, his voice echoing through the trees.

Jaci stopped and turned to face him, tears streaming down her rosy cheeks. "I don't need a babysitter anymore," she said, annoyed that he had followed her.

"Well, little do you know, our chipmunk population has been known for having violent outbreaks of rabies around this time of year."

Jaci rolled her eyes and turned away. "I just want to be alone."

Taehyung clicked his tongue and sped up, catching up to her side in a matter of a few seconds. "You know, that was my mantra for a long time. Until Jungkook came along. I guess we have that in common, don't we?"

"Did he send you?" she asked, her voice quiet and flat.

"No. But he didn't try to stop me either, so I suppose he agreed? Not sure. Anyway, I get that Derrick was your friend, but let me tell you a little story."

"Look, I'm not in the mood to listen to some centuries old crusty vampire spout off 'I told you so' moments for hours on end. Just save it, and tell someone who actually cares."

Taehyung was taken aback. "Where is the sweet, naive Miss Aigle, and what have you done with her?"

Jaci stopped walking and looked over at Taehyung with blazing eyes. "Go away and leave me alone!"

Taehyung crossed his arms over his chest and shook his head. "Nope. No can do. You're going to hear me out, because I'm afraid to tell you that your sorrow is misplaced."

Jaci's head dropped back and she growled out her frustration. "You know nothing about my relationship with Dr. Fenton. You do not get to speak about why I should or should not mourn his loss."

"Yes, yes, I do. Let's walk and talk, Miss Hormonal-Soon-To-Be-Werewolf." Taehyung began walking ahead of Jaci, not giving her a moment to object to his orders.

Jaci sighed and trudged behind him, feeling a pounding headache begin throbbing at the base of her skull.

"Derrick was born a Hunter. That, my dear, means he was born to Hunter parents and genetically that automatically made him a Hunter. He would have been put into training as soon as he was weaned. Which means he would become a merciless killer.  And he was, by his own testimony. Yes, he tried to turn his life around after falling in love with some vamp, but as history now attests, he was unable to do that."

"What does that mean? How do you know he was still Hunting?" snapped Jaci.

"When all of us went to Oklahoma twenty years ago, Derrick was supposedly helping Professor North look for a cure for vampirism. I'm sure you've heard this story already from my wife," smiled Taehyung, looking over his shoulder to make sure Jaci wasn't lagging behind.

"Yes, and you're boring me."

"Hm, well, here's where it gets juicy. Yoongi, the vampire who tried to kill us, attempted to tell us Derrick was not doing what everyone thought he was doing. See, your dear Dr. Fenton had been going back to his old ways. His natural instincts, if you will. However, instead of hunting directly with guns and knives, he was looking for a more passive, yet undoubtedly more heinous way to 'cure' supernatural beings of their abilities."

Jaci became quiet and listened to Taehyung.

"I have a personal beef with the man, because he created a serum that killed one of my most trusted friends. That serum was kept in a special box in his office desk. Supposedly, his serum worked on humans but he hadn't truly used it on one of us. He claimed to have, but I think he had Professor North quite fooled. Perhaps you did mean something to him, Jaci, but if he had lived and you had become a werewolf, I think things between you would have certainly changed."

Jaci couldn't argue with that fact. She was trying to come to grips with the changes she was going through, but there was no denying the fact that Yun-Hee's bite had done more than just create a wound.

"He was my only friend," she murmured softly. "My last connection with my home. He never treated me badly. Made me work harder than everyone else. Made sure I did my best."

Taehyung stayed silent, watching Jaci as she spoke.

"I honestly can't wrap my mind around everything that's happened since I got here. Believe me, I never wanted to stay here forever. I wanted to eventually take my research and go home. I don't understand why life has done this to me, but I can't get through everything alone."

"You know you don't have to. Maybe Fenton was your last connection with the States, but you've found new friends here, have you not? Is Sunny not your friend?"

Jaci wobbled her head and shrugged. "Is she? She thought I was spying for Dr. Fenton."

"I think she realized her theory was wrong," grinned Taehyung.

Jaci found herself smiling slightly and nodded. "Yes, I guess she did."

"And is Jungkook not your friend?"

Jaci looked off into the darkening woods and pondered that. "Taehyung, tell me something. If the Moon decrees two people to be together, do they automatically fall in love?"

Taehyung raised his eyebrows and looked down. "I've never thought of the moon as more than a way to light up the night sky. But I know Jungkook has always believed in fated mates. If his Moon has designated you for that position, I guarantee Jungkook will love you so fiercely you will never have to question it."

"But we really know so little about one another," said Jaci.

"That may be true. But when there's a spark, fire isn't far behind."

"But our 'spark' as you call it, was forced on me by that girl."

"Forced or preordained? I mean, I'm a creature who is not supposed to exist yet I do. I can't really question the mysteries that lead to the creation of other supernatural beings like myself. Why not just see where this takes you? What are you afraid of?"

Jaci's shoulders slumped and she pulled in a deep breath. "I'm afraid of doing something wrong. I'm afraid of messing up Jungkook's dream of having a fated mate. He's waited so long, I just don't want to ruin his dream. I'm afraid he won't like me, or I not like him, and we will be miserable."

Taehyung tried to keep from grinning. "So, Miss Aigle, tell me something. Is there anything about Jungkook so far that you do not like?"

Jaci blinked a few times as she thought but nothing came to mind. "No? I mean, I obviously don't know if he's messy, or rude when he eats or-"

Taehyung leaned back and laughed out loud. "Young lady, he is extremely clean, and the worst he does when he eats is eat entirely too much meat. You've nothing to worry about there. And if the way he pushes toothpaste out of the tube bothers you, get a separate tube."

Jaci found herself giggling and feeling more at ease. "Thank you, Taehyung."

"Hm?" he said, coming down off his laugh.

"Thank you. You've given me assurance that I can do this, and helped me close the door on my friendship with Dr. Fenton. I still can't hate him, but he clearly knew things would catch up with him. He said it was his time. I guess I should respect that and stop wishing he were still here."

"That's a good way to think of it." Taehyung laid a fatherly hand on Jaci's shoulder. "Let's go find our mates, shall we?"

Jaci wiped away her residual tears and nodded with a smile. "Yes, let's."

* * *

Jungkook and Sunny had bandaged up the wounded wolves enough so that they could make it back to their homes. No one was fatally wounded, though Jimin moaned and groaned as if he were at death's door. Ha-Yoon had cuffed him upside the head with her large paw several times to get him to stop, to which he responded with a dashing smile and a promise to behave.

With the last of the wolves patched up, Jungkook flopped down in the snow, watching the direction Jaci had gone off in.

"Taehyung is with her, Kookie. They'll be safe."

Jungkook huffed. "I know. I just want to see her face. I need to know we're okay. I'm trying to respect her request to not speak telepathically, but I'm dying here, Sunny. Figuratively speaking, of course."

Sunny giggled and stood beside him, letting her hand stroke the fur between his ears. "You are such a worry wart. Why don't we go check on Hoseok while we wait for them?"

Jungkook kept his eyes on the distant tree line but slowly rose to all fours. With a lingering look behind him, he reluctantly agreed to follow Sunny back to the werewolf camp.

* * *

"Papa, are you okay?" Sun-Hi inched towards Hoseok with her eyes wide and uneasy.

Her twin, Young-Soo stood a distance away, watching with skeptical eyes.

Hoseok was sitting on his sofa when Ha-Yoon had brought his children back to him as the pack settled down for the night.

"Angel, I'm still sad, but I think I'm more concerned about you and Young-Soo. Are you two okay?" Hoseok pulled his daughter into his embrace, lifting her up to sit in his lap. He patted the empty space beside him and smiled warmly at Young-Soo. The pup didn't rush over, but he didn't refuse.

Young-Soo pushed himself up under Hoseok's free arm and pressed into his father's side, "I miss her," he whispered.

Hoseok felt hot tears gather in his eyes, but he blinked them away. "I know, bud. Me too."

"Will you find another Luna?" said Sun-Hi, her big eyes betraying how she felt.

Hoseok could tell his children did not want their mother replaced. "Not for a while, Angel. But maybe in time the Moon might see fit to send me another mate."

Sun-Hi laid her head on her father's shoulder and sighed, "Let's just be happy together."

"Yeah, we can take care of you, Papa. You don't need some old mate." Young-Soo spoke with such determination that Hoseok found himself laughing.

"Are you saying I am old?" he said, pretending to be offended.

"What?! No! I mean your mate would be old!" protested Young-Soo.

Hoseok laughed and hugged his children close. "I'm so sorry I pushed you two away. I think I would have done much better if I had kept you close."

The little family trio nestled into a ball and watched the fire in the fireplace dance and pop. When a knock came to the door, the children whined in protest at being untangled from their father's arms.

"Shh, I'll be back," he giggled, entertained by their dismal expressions. He opened the door and saw Jungkook and Sunny standing there and he stepped back to let them in.

"How are you, Alpha?" asked Jungkook, having shifted and changed into a comfortable white t-shirt and jeans.

Sunny remained silent, not wanting to butt in.

"I'll be alright with time, Kook. Thank you for asking. My children are helping me far more than I thought they could." Hoseok looked over his shoulder and smiled at the two little heads of black hair that were bobbing back and forth.

Sunny smiled. She was glad Hoseok had brought his children home. She had always heard from Mama Marla that children were a catharsis to a troubled heart.

"And where are your mates?" questioned Hoseok.

Jungkook felt his face warm up and he put on a nervous smile. "We slipped away before they returned. They're probably on their way back now."

Hoseok nodded and turned his eyes to Sunny. "I owe you and your husband a great debt of appreciation. You didn't have to fight alongside us, but you did."

"It was an honor. They probably were going to come for us too if we all hadn't stopped them. But Hoseok, you should keep in mind as the Alpha, that there may come a day when they come back."

Hoseok smiled and nodded slowly. "I think I will let the next Alpha decide how to handle that when the time comes."

Jungkook's mouth dropped open. "What? Next Alpha? You're stepping down? Why?"

Hoseok folded his arm across his chest and sighed deeply. "Jungkook, an Alpha is only half of what he needs to be without his Luna. I've outlived two mates and I'm in no  hurry to find another. I think the kids and I will just live as a family of three for a while. This pack needs an Alpha and Luna if it is to be managed well."

Jungkook frowned and shook his head. "I cannot serve any other Alpha but you. Maybe if it's Jimin-hyung, but I would still have a little difficulty submitting."

Hoseok giggled and shook his head. "Dummy. Jimin doesn't want the position. He's happy as a second-in-command. He and Ha-Yoon have had some difficulty starting their own family, and they don't want the pack stress to make it even more difficult."

"I'll be retiring after the next full moon run," he said bluntly.

"Does the pack know?"

"They will."

"Hyung, please. Reconsider," begged Jungkook.

Hoseok smiled and shook his head. "I've made up my mind, Kook. Please respect my decision."

Jungkook felt defeated and he felt a wave of fresh sadness washing over him.

"Jungkook? Where are you? Can we talk?"

That sadness was quickly erased when the voice of the one he had been waiting for echoed in his mind. He looked at Sunny and said, "They're back."

Hoseok smiled knowingly and let the pair leave with a wave and a goodnight. He then returned to the sofa where his twins were bickering over who would make him breakfast in the morning.

* * *

The moon, nearly full, was shining over the wolf camp, blanketing it in soft blue light.

Jungkook saw Jaci standing in the small clearing in front of Hoseok's house, bathed in that same beautiful light.

"We'll be heading home," said Taehyung, holding his hand out to his wife. "Come see us soon," he directed to both Jungkook and Jaci.

Sunny took his hand and the two vampires raced off into the darkness of the forest canopy.

The air was heavy as Jaci and Jungkook stood facing one another. Each unsure of what the other was feeling, but both wanting to know.

Jungkook's inner wolf was elated that the one he adored had returned to speak with them.

Jaci was trying to control the presence in her own mind that was sparking with excitement over the nearness of Jungkook. She eventually tuned out the happy howls of the presence and tried to focus instead on Jungkook as a person.

"I'm sorry I left like that," she called across the distance.

Jungkook took a step forward. "It's okay. I understand why you did."

Jaci mimicked his step with her own, taking a few extra before she stopped. "Are you sure about us?"

Jungkook felt like the air had been sucked from his lungs. Why was she asking that question? "As sure as I can be," he replied quickly.

Jaci stepped closer, this time ending up just a few feet away from him. "What would help you be more sure?"

Jungkook felt nailed to the ground. "I...I'm not sure?"

Jaci took two more steps forward and was now mere inches from him. "So if I don't change during the full moon, will that be the end of this thing between us?"

Jungkook was mesmerized by the moonlight reflecting in her dark irises. His lips parted and he felt like his heart was going to pound out of his chest. "I...I don't think we will have to worry about that," he mumbled, roaming his eyes over key points on her face.

Her nose, straight and perfect. Her dark brown eyes reminded him of melted chocolate. The dark brows that arched perfectly over her eyes, while her lips...oh, those perfectly curved, rosy lips...

His eyes fluttered closed as he felt her lips softly press against his. Sparks raced along his veins and his wolf, whom he had willfully tuned out, began howling with pure joy.

Jaci had been the one to close the distance. She saw the looks passing over Jungkook's face and she knew he would be no good for conversation unless she did something very drastic. But she underestimated how much she would enjoy that kiss.

Jungkook felt her fingers intertwine themselves in the hair at his nape, and he groaned at the slight tugs. His heart was now racing and his veins were warming with hot red blood running through them.

His hands reached up around Jaci's arms and cupped her cheeks, holding her to him for as long as they could hold their breath.

When Jaci slowly broke away, she looked up at him from under hooded eyes. "Did that help you be more sure?"

Jungkook wondered where this new Jaci came from but he was not one to question such a wonderful gift. "Yes," he murmured against her lips.

Jaci was surprised by her own bravery, but she found that being in Jungkook's arms gave her a feeling of belonging, warmth, security, and acceptance. She had never felt any of that with other boyfriends she'd had.

His arms felt like home to her. No matter how little they knew each other, Jaci knew for sure that this was where she belonged.

She broke the kiss and lowered her arms to wrap around his waist, hugging him firmly. Her head rested on his chest and his racing heartbeat gradually slowed. She smiled when she felt his chin rest atop of her head.

"Jaci, even if you don't become a werewolf when the full moon comes, I still think I want to explore having a relationship with you."

"But what about the fated mates thing?" She couldn't bear to look up as she waited for his response.

"Change or not, I know what I want, and my wolf knows what he wants. If we're both happy, who's to say that's not fate?"

"Right," whispered Jaci.

She hoped he was serious and not just saying things because of the heat of the moment. She wanted to walk this path with him. She wanted to know him more and learn as much as she could about him. And just in case he changed his mind after the full moon, she would take full advantage of what little time she might have left with him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

875 75 14
[COMPLETED] Jungkook and Jimin had to stay with Ji Ah and her family but they are not ordinary human beings. They have to hide the fact that they are...
23.6K 1.2K 44
„Werewolves don't exist." „But what if I was one?" „Huh?" ࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏࿏ Kim Taehyung and Jeon Jeongguk definitely aren't...
253 7 9
Jin spent thousand of years trying to help those who were cursed like him. After years he built his own family, full of broken vampires who found she...
212K 9K 36
"Do you really wanna know?" Jungkook asked with his eyebrows raised. "Yes I do." I said confidently. "I warned you, Y/n. So don't regret it later." H...