Homeless

By writingutensils

A black, business owner of a small New York City bakery, Danielle has achieved success. She owns her own home... More

Intro
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Question
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
More added to 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 35.2
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
More added to 37
Epilogue
a sequel?
a sequal part 2
Lastly

Chapter 31

15K 1K 542
By writingutensils

Derek's POV

It's been nearly a week since I last talked to Danielle and I've been in a bit of a daze. My life has fallen into a continuous rut of sleeping at the shelter, wandering around New York City and trying to keep my nose clean. I was expecting to run into that Asher kid but unfortunately I haven't had much luck.

As I exit the shelter for the day, I pull out my phone and see a reminder for a real estate seminar.

I totally forgot.

It doesn't start until 9am so I have about 2 hours to make my way across town. I glance down to see what I'm wearing.

A black pea coat, a tee shirt, dark pants and some brown shoes. I also have a black backpack that u got from the shelter. It's not my most charming look but it will have to do.

I hop on the blue line subway towards Manhattan and get off at L street. I find the building where the real estate seminar is going to take place, then I find a small coffee shop next door where I can wait.

"What can I get for you?" the girl behind the counter asks when I approach.

"Just a small hot chocolate," I say back. I have to be careful about how much money I spend. I only have $800 on me. There's about $1200 more stored in a box under my bed at Danielle's but I need to forget about it. I'm not going back there.

A couple minutes later, I grab my hot chocolate and take a seat near an outlet. I plug in my phone and open up my messages. While I haven't talked to Danielle in a week, she has been sure to text me every day.

Monday: Hope you're okay. Miss you.

Tuesday: Thinking about you & how bad I messed up. Miss you.

Wednesday: I really want you to come back home.

Thursday: These texts are delivering so I hope you're at least seeing them. I really miss you and want to talk. Call me when you're ready please.

Today she sent: I think you could at least send me a text back.

It's her first sassy text and I can't help but laugh a little. She's not wrong. I could at least text her back.

It's been a week and I'm definitely less heated now than I was when it all went down. I don't think I'll ever want anything to do with her again but I at least want to give her some peace of mind. Plus, if I'm being honest with myself, I would like to have that $1,200 in my pocket. And I need to give her this stupid phone back.

I push the thoughts to the back of my head as I realize it's 10 minutes to 9. I need to head into the seminar.

Danielle's POV

"I counted the till so we can get out of here and get some drinks!!" Lizzy says excitedly. "Let's get this Friday night going!"

She drops the money envelope on the kitchen counter and grabs her purse.

"Let's count it again," I say as I open up the envelope.

"Why?" Lizzy asks, slowly putting on her purse. "It's all there."

"Just wanna double check. Especially after last week." I pull out the large wad of cash as well as the receipts.

Lizzy walks up next to me. "I really don't think that's necessary. Let's just go get drinks. Anna is waiting out front."

"Lizzy stop." I look at the receipt total before counting through the cash. It takes me about 5 minutes to realize the pile is $100 short.

I close my eyes as I feel a wave of anger wash over me. It takes everything in my power for me not to pop off.

"I'm going to ask you one time and one time only: have you been stealing from me?"

I slowly open my eyes to see Lizzy looking at the ground.

"I... I..." she stutters.

"Yes or no."

"I... my mom is really sick and doesn't have health insurance. I really needed the money."

"You really needed to steal the money?!" I get louder than I intend. "You couldn't have freakin' asked me??"

"I... didn't know how to."

"You didn't know how to ask me so you stole from me??" I'm so angry that I start pacing back and forth. "And to top it all off, you framed Derek?!"

She looks away from me.

"Please leave. I'll mail you a check Monday with two weeks pay but you're fired, effective today."

Lizzy's mouth drops open and tears fill her eyes.

"But... I... Danielle, I really need this job. Please. I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. It will never happen again. I should have come to you."

As much as I want to feel compassion, there's none left for me to give.

"You need to leave now," I say sternly.

Lizzy grabs her purse and walks out towards the front of the bakery without saying a word. I'm thankful she does because I'm on the verge of a total breakdown.

When she's finally out the front door, the weight of everything hits me and I break down crying.

I've known and worked with Lizzy for 4 years. Over that time, we got so close. I trusted her with so much of my personal life. We hung out together all the time. Heck, we even vacationed together. And this is how she chose to repay me. The feeling of betrayal runs deep and I can't stop the tears that start to stream down my face.

"Hey."

I look up to see Anna walking in the kitchen. She comes up to me and hugs me.

"I'm so sorry Dani. Lizzy told me what happened on her wag out."

"I really just need to be alone right now," I say to her.

Anna nods her head then grabs her stuff. "Okay, I'll text you over the weekend."

She makes her way out of the bakery and I sigh. It takes all my strength to close up the shop and begin to make my way home. I am absolutely, emotionally drained.

Derek's POV

"Believe it or not, I know what it's like man," Mike says, walking with me towards the exit of the real estate seminar. "You heard my story. I really want you apply to our internship. I can tell you would do great things with us."

I nod as I take in Mike's words. He's one of the top realtors in New York City and was the host of today's seminar. I learned a lot about how to get my foot in the door and what it really takes to flip houses. As challenging as it's going to be, I really think I can do it.

"Thanks so much," I say, shaking his hand. "I'll definitely put my application in today."

Mike gives me a clap on the back and I exit the building into the cold NYC air.

My phone buzzes and it's Danielle again.

I fired Lizzy.

I snort. It's about time.

I tuck my phone back into my pocket before making my way back to the shelter.

When I get to the shelter, I'm let in immediately. It's Friday morning and they've made a special waffle breakfast for everyone. I help myself to two waffles as well as a large bowl of strawberries topped with whipped cream.

It's weird being back at the shelter after having lived with Danielle for the last month. But I'm slowly getting used to it.

After breakfast. I make my way to the computer lounge. The first website I head to is Mike's from the seminar, MLCRealEstate.com.

I apply to his paid internship. It's an opportunity to work directly under Mike and learn how to flip houses, work with contractors and sell homes in the competitive NYC market. There were nearly 700 people at the seminar and with only 5 open sports for the internship starting later this month, I know my chances are slim. But I got the opportunity to talk to him one on one and we have very similar backgrounds. I think that's going to improve my chances dramatically.

Mike grew up homeless along with his younger brother and single mom. His family used to squat in empty homes that had been forclosed. One day when he was in his teens, a realtor found him trying to break into a home that was being flipped. Instead of shooing him away, the realtor started mentoring him and he spent the last 15 years becoming a NYC real estate giant. His story gives me hope.

Once I submit my application, I head to Google and start searching for other jobs. Just in case this internship thing doesn't work out, I need a backup plan.

As I'm clicking through job listings, a small kid sits down at the computer next to me.

"Asher?" I say as I get a good look at his face. "Is that you?"

"Hey," he says. "I... I've been meaning to call you but I've just been so embarrassed."

"Don't be embarrassed," I say. My heart races as I remember the last time I saw him. He was slouched over in a bathroom stall messing around with drugs.

"Are you okay?" I ask.

"I've had my ups and downs," he says.

I nod slowly. It's been a few weeks since I last saw him and in that time, he's aged. There's bags under his eyes and a deep sadness to his face.

"You fall into the wrong crowd?" I ask gently.

"Yeah," he says softly. His voice cracks and his eyes start to water.

"It's okay man." I place my hand on his shoulder and squeeze gently. "It happens. Being homeless can break you."

"I just didn't know what to do. Some guys here introduced me to drugs and it's been so hard to let go. When I'm high, I don't have to think about how crappy my life is. And when I'm not high, I feel miserable and am constantly thinking about when I can get my next high. I hate the cycle."

"There are programs that can help you," I say. "There's NA meetings and even rehab."

"I can't afford rehab."

"There's even free rehab," I say. "I went to one in upstate. They pick you up, house you for a couple months and help you break the cycle. They even have a teen campus. I think it would be really good for you Asher."

He rubs his eyes with his hands. "I just... I don't know."

"How about we look up some information?" I turn back towards my screen and look up New Horizons Rehab in Ithaca, New York. Asher and I scroll through the website and I point out some of the activities that helped me get clean. We watch a few information videos and read through most of the website. An hour later, Asher seems a bit more convinced.

"Why don't we call them?" I suggest.

Asher nods slowly. "Okay."

I pull out my phone and dial the number at the top of the website.

"New Horizons Rehabilitation Center. This is Jenna. How may I help you?"

"Hi, I'm calling to refer a client."

"Okay!" Jenna says. I can hear her typing quickly. "And is this referral for yourself or someone else?"

"Someone else."

"Alright. The client's name and age?"

"Um, Asher?" I look at Asher for his last name.

"Redding," he says.

"Asher Redding," I repeat. "He's 16 years old."

"Alright. And are you his legal guardian?"

"Um..." I think about lying. Because he's a minor, I'm worried they might not accept him without parental consent. "Yes, I'm his father."

"Okay, and can I get your name?" Jenna asks.

"Derek," I say.

"Derek Redding?" Jenna asks.

"Um, no. Derek Pearson." I rub the back of my neck nervously. "We have different last names," I add quickly.

"No problem," Jenna says. She types some more. "And is this something that your child is willingly participating in? We just like to ask so that our therapists will be prepared."

"Uh, yeah. He wants to get clean."

"That's great to hear. Our next program start date is in a week, on the 14th. Pickup would be the 13th, with the time depending on where you guys live. Can I get a pickup address?"

"We are actually at the Adam J Black shelter in Brooklyn."

"Not a problem at all. We are very familiar with that shelter. We generally pickup between 3 and 4pm in that area. If I can get your email, I will send you a list of expectations that we will hold your son to while he is here with us. I will also send details about the program and agenda. You'll simply have to reply to that email, detailing your son's agreement to those expectations and we'll be good to go on the 13th."

I give Jenna my email address and she types some more.

"Looks like you guys are good to go. Do you have any questions for me?"

"Not at this time."

"Great. Look out for an email from me today and we look forward to meeting your son on the 13th!"

"Thank you."

I hang up and Asher looks at me expectantly.

"Well son," I laugh, "You're going to rehab next week."

Asher gives me a small smile before getting out of his seat and hugging me. It's unexpected but sweet.

"Thank you," he says. "I really need this."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.8K 1.4K 34
Zoey Vance woke up in the hospital with no memory of her life before that moment. She doesn't even know her own name. Now she has to try and put the...
176K 3.6K 64
Inspired by DDLG stories I've read. *18+ only; has mature and sexual content* Don't read this story if you don't approve of BDSM or DDLG. Thanks! Whe...
222K 11.1K 25
To all readers old and new, this story will be soon taken down and re-written. Thanks for all the support. As soon as it is re-written, I will be s...
136K 6.7K 20
a very shy young black woman takes a homeless guy in for the winter, where she fixes his heart, gets him back on his feet, and gives him unconditiona...