Indian Wedding Tales

By _thriving

ten couples. ten problems. solutions? not the same for all. or perhaps they are. / / a collection of short st... More

about
A A K A S H : part I
A A K A S H : part II
A A K A S H : part III
S A K S H I : part I
S A K S H I : part II
S A K S H I : part III
R U D R A : part I
R U D R A : part II
R U D R A : part III
V A A N I: part I
V A A N I : part II
V A A N I : part III
D A K S H : part I
D A K S H : part II
D A K S H : part III
P A Y A L : part I
P A Y A L : part II
P A Y A L : part III
H A R S H : part I
H A R S H : part II
H A R S H : part III
M A N S I : part II
M A N S I : part III
G I R I S H : part I
G I R I S H : part II
G I R I S H : part III
J A N K I : part I
J A N K I : part II
J A N K I : part III
thank you
TOUCHING BOUNDARIES
T E J A L : part I
T E J A L : part II
T E J A L : part III

M A N S I : part I

3.6K 330 122
By _thriving

"Which earrings should I wear?" I turned to my husband who was in the middle of putting on his shirt. The shirt which clearly had stains from the last time he had spilled coffee on it. I marched to him and frowned.

"You can't wear this" I said and shook my head in disapproval.

"Why not?" He looked at me as if I had grown a second head. Pursing my lips I observed my husband while scenarios played in my mind. What if Dhruvi spotted them and made a joke about it in front of everyone. Hysterical laughs and mocking voices fell on my ears for a moment before I shuddered at the thought.

"Just change it. You have plenty of shirts which don't have stains on them," I said while I walked past him and started rummaging his side of the wardrobe to find a decent shirt.

"Babe, come on, it's not that noticeable," Yash tried pursuing me but I frowned deeper. "If I tuck my shirt, it's not even visible!"

He hurried to stuff his shirt into his pant and moved around in a circle to show me. The stain was no longer visible and heaved a breath of relief at that.

"But would it kill you to change it into something else?" I asked as I crossed my arms in front of my chest.

"Would it kill you to just calm down?" Yash retorted and copied my stance. I furrowed my eyebrows, clearly not pleased. "You need to relax, babe, they're just my friends. No celebrity is visiting our house"

They might as well. A celebrity would be easier to please.

I gave up on my husband and headed to the dressing table to finish getting ready. Picking up one earring of each pair, I turned to Yash.

"Which one?"

"The pearls are better"

"What if they're too simple?"

"Then wear the green ones"

"What if they're too gaudy?"

"What if I go and drown right now?"

"Yash!" I whined while stomping my feet. "Be serious"

"Babe, one day you'll drive me crazy and not in a good way" Yash said while backing away and picking up his hair brush. He combed his hair without any care and I felt my insides twist. "Besides it's a get together and not a party"

He walked up to me and placed a chaste kiss on my cheek. "Just be yourself, babe"

With that my husband walked out the bedroom with a whistle on his lips.

I turned to the mirror and held up both the earring pieces in front of my ear and contemplated. I finally decided on the green ones as they matched my knee length dress very well. Combing my hair one more time, I sprayed a mild perfume on my wrist and neck.

Satisfied with myself, I smoothed my dress and walked out the bedroom. Yash was plopped on the sofa as he flipped through channels on the television. I got a vanilla scented candle and lit it up. I placed it on the centre coffee table around which many of the sofas were placed.

The faint scent of vanilla was supposed to be relaxing and nerve-calming but instead my stomach was busy twisting in knots. I glanced at the clock and sighed nervously.

7:05

I walked into the kitchen and saw Shalini cleaning the countertop and stove. The kitchen looked neat than it had today afternoon with me preparing delicacies with extreme care.

"Everything ready?" I asked Shalini as I opened the refrigerator.

"Yes, madam" she replied meekly.

I still couldn't adjust to the way she called me 'madam'. It sounded so distant and professional, as if every relation in this house was just meant to fulfill duties. I checked on the frozen fritters and made sure we had enough ice cubes for the drinks.

"Did you check on the biryani?" I asked shutting the door to the refrigerator.

"Yes, I mixed it just the way you asked me to" She gestured to the large vessel in which we had prepared biryani. I lifted the lid carefully and peeked inside. The aroma of spices and butter made my mouth water and I was satisfied with the ample amount of coriander Shalini had used on top.

Grinning to myself, I replaced the lid and turned to Shalini.

"Thanks for the extra help today"

Shalini bent back a bit but eventually gave me a small smile in return. "The Raita is in the lower compartment getting cool"

"Shalini, if you'd like, come after nine and grab some of biryani for your family as well"

Shalini seemed shocked at my statement. She blinked a few times, " Are you sure, Ma'am?"

"Absolutely, I don't think all of our guests will be able to finish this entirely and I'm sure your son would love this biryani"

"Thanks for the offer, madam"

"Accha, Shalini, do all these South Bombay ladies have such small appetites?"

Shalini gave me a knowing look before nodding. I slapped my forehead and fell back a bit.

"You know sometimes I feel so conscious while taking a second serving!"

Shalini giggled a little and I relaxed.

"How do they even survive with so less?" I wondered aloud.

"It's the question of century, madam" We laughed together and as if on cue, the bell rang.

Quickly straightening myself, I ushered out. All of Yash's friend poured into the house one by one, each one bringing their own character.

For a moment I stood there mesmerized, the ladies looked like they had just walked out of the salon with shiny hair and skin that looked flawless and radiant. Six of his friends hugged him as they made them comfortable and gave me polite smiles.

Naman walked towards me with a mischievous smile.

"How's my favorite bhabhi?" He said while his eyes crinkled at the side.

"Very excited," I smiled back at him.

He gave me a brief hug before settling on the sofa. Hina followed next, she had a very stiff smile on her face as she walked towards me.

"How are you?" I asked her keeping my lips curved up.

"Been better," She shrugged before taking a seat beside Naman.

Dhruvi came next, with her eyes deep set and calculating. She looked me top to bottom, her face expressionless.

"Nice dress, Mansi" she commented and I released a breath I didn't realize I was holding.

"Tha-"

"Although the earrings could've been better" She said before continuing to join her group of friends on the sofa.

You don't belong with them.

You'll always stick out.

I swatted away the thoughts that came running with Dhruvi's comment. I exhaled a heavy breath and smiled at the other three friends who took seats near Yash.

"I hope everyone is hungry. I've made onion rings for starters" I announced and watched each pair of turn to me.

Dhruvi was the first to speak.

"Oh, Mansi, I don't eat deep friend food, so I and Rakesh will pass on it"

Her husband, Rakesh, turned to her with a wide mouth clearly not happy with her decision for them.

My spirits deflated a bit when Hina spoked up.

"I and Naman had an early dinner before coming here," She said while giving her signature shrug.

I tried to not let the smile on my face slip.

"Oh, it's okay" I waved my hand and walked to the kitchen to get everyone something to drink.

They will never accept you as their own, my father's sharp words cut through the fog in my mind.

***

Writer's block sucks.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

155K 7.2K 46
A Cluster Of Desi Short Stories
2.6M 128K 148
This is a short stories book. The plots suggested by the readers. I hope you like this one and give it the same love you gave the others.
1.1M 34.1K 32
This is a story of a sudden marriage between two people and how this sudden marriage changed all their lives. Looks simple right? But only when you...
127K 4K 21
collection of short stories, where people actually fall in love incandescently and encourage affection by dancing even if one's partner is barely tol...