Beating the Buzzer | Book 1 i...

By dontworryboutit123

Book One : USC series 18+ Ayanna Heart Reeling from betrayal of her ex, Captain of the basketball team for UC... More

Aesthetics
Face Claims
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty-one
twenty-two
twenty-three
twenty-four
twenty-five
twenty-six
twenty-seven
twenty-eight
twenty-nine
thirty
thirty-one
thirty-two
thirty-three
thirty-four
thirty-five
thirty-six
thirty-seven
thirty-eight
thirty-nine
forty
forty-one
forty-two
forty-three
forty-four
forty-five
forty-six
forty-seven
forty-eight
forty-nine
fifty
epilogue
bonus chapter +1
bonus chapter 2+

eight

59.6K 1.3K 1.1K
By dontworryboutit123

We paused our game as we heard the doorbell go off. Turning our heads towards each other we got out of our seats and ran towards the foyer, hiding behind a pillar. " Boys, what are you doing?" My mom scolded as we peered from behind the pillar.

"Nothing." We said as we calmly walked out of the bad excuse of a hiding spot. " Usually when you two say nothing it means that you're up to no good."

We both look towards each other and let out sharp gasps," That is blasphemy!"Dominic shrieked dramatically." How could you say that mother." I gasped as Jax ... or uncle Jax as I liked to call him walked down the stairs nervously.

"You good dad ?" Dominic asked noticing that Jax was sweating bullets. " Can you tell that I am nervous?"

I shared a look with Dominic and my dad before we turned towards him," No you look fine."

I mean he did look fine, just a little jittery but fine. "Great. You're going to love her, and I heard her daughter was your age as well so you might have some things in common." he ranted quickly as I stood in between my dad and Dom.

"Just open the door already." My mom begged excitedly. "Everyone on their best behavior please." he directed the last part towards us with a pointed stare.

He took a deep breath before turning the knob to the door. "Happy Thanksgiving." We heard two female voices. My ears perked up at the sound of a familiar voice. "Is that?" Dominic peered from around his father's shoulder. " You're dating Ayanna Heart's mom," he yelled patting his shoulder.

"Way to go, dad."

My mom poked my shoulder gaining my attention. "Is that the girl you've been telling me about for the past few weeks?" she whispered. "What girl?" I ask with raised brows, she winked at me, playing along before stepping up to greet the Hearts.

"Hey, I'm Giselle and this is Cairo Addams, and my son Carson." Oh, she doesn't need an introduction, she knows me very well.

"Wassup Heart." I greet her as her eyes shift between me and Dominic.

"At least this won't be awkward." She finally spoke stepping into the house further." You guys know each other?" My dad asks waving his pointer finger between us and Ayanna.

Dominic grabs Ayanna by the shoulder, putting her in a headlock.

"Boy," she scolds, loosening his grip on her neck.

"Yaya here happens to go to USC and is one of our biggest and favorite cheerleaders along with her girl power crew. She also knows all of your stats dad... every single last one of them." Ayanna pinches Dominic's ear as if he exposed her dirty little secret.

"You talk too much." Our parents let out a laugh at Dominic's expense. He looked like a child getting scolded for sneaking all of the Halloween candy. "Although she was fraternizing with the enemy at one point."

"Dominic fucking Steele," She raised her hand to smack him upside the head. "I will not hesitate to kick your ass on Thanksgiving."

Look at them ... already starting to act like siblings.

"It's like they're already siblings." My mom joked as she grabbed onto Raven's arm, leading her to the dining room.

"So you know all of my stats huh?" Jax asks as we follow them. "Not all of them. But my best friend, Elizabeth, has a photographic memory so she does."

Elizabeth was stupid smart, which is why I'm still confused on why she's hung up on Abel's dumbass.

I'm just kidding, I love the kid but it took him two whole years to finally work up the nerve and ask her out. Any other chick would've been kicked his ass to the curb.

"Do you like the sport, basketball?" My father asked as we entered the dining room.

Ayanna shook her head eagerly." I love basketball. It's my favorite sport and the only one I can actually sit down and watch without getting bored."

"Really," Dominic drawls as he sits down, placing his fist on top of his knuckles."Favorite team, there's only one right answer."

She tugs her bottom lip in between her teeth, nodding her head in deep thought. "Ayanna was always one for the dramatics." Her mother teases. Ayanna shoots her playful glare before leaning back into the chair.

"Golden State." She simply answers.

Marry me??? Is it too soon??

"You're not just saying that because we are potentially getting drafted to them, right?" Dominic narrows his eyes towards her as if he doesn't believe her answer.

Ayanna laughs chuckles as she shakes her head. "Not everything is about you two, Steele." I laugh as the two bickers back and forth about basketball.

Feeling a heavy stare on me, I turn and notice my mom with a big grin on her face.

I already know she's planning a wedding and a list of baby names in her head right now. I knew it was a bad idea to tell her about Ayanna a few weeks ago. The woman is insane when it comes to me and my relationships, and very overprotective as well.

My last relationship didn't end so well. She cheated on me with one of me and Dominic's closest friends— well ex-friend now.

Mom wasn't having it and left a very nasty voicemail on her phone. It was funny to listen to and laugh at but it was also pretty scary. A teensy small part of me almost felt bad for my ex.

Almost.

My ex made crazy Tiffany look good, and that's saying a lot.

It's not that I choose the wrong women— well I do but, they don't show their crazy til way later in the relationship.

Ayanna on the other hand is different. But for right now it's just friends with benefits... for right now.

Trust and believe that Ayanna Heart will be mine. I hope I don't fuck it up because we've both experienced heartbreak and I don't want to be the cause of that again for her.

"Carson—" "Uh yes." I snap out of my thoughts and join the conversation again. "I asked how are you feeling about the new assistant coach that is joining." My dad repeated as we passed around the food.

"I don't really know how to feel."

I put an extra scoop of Raven's mac and cheese on my plate because lord knows, my mom, bless her heart, can't cook for shit.

"Coach said he's good but as long as he doesn't try to come in and change our group dynamic then I'm cool. He can do his job and I'll do mine."

I trust that coach will be making good decisions for our team. Plus he already knows that me and the boys will have no issue with putting the new coach in his place. This is our team that we worked so hard to build over our time at USC.

"Enough about basketball until dinner is over please." My mom begged.

My mom was super supportive of me and my passion. She was at every game, every awards ceremony, every team meeting. I was an only child so she was always available to share her free time and participate.

She was the leader of the PTA, but she wasn't the bitchy kind that thought she was all that and a bag of chips.

Giselle Antonia Addams hated snobby bitches and she was not afraid to show it.

My mom didn't come from much when she was younger. My grandparents immigrated from Brazil when she was only five. They struggled at first seeing as it was a new country and all, but they opened up a corner store in New York and they quickly became the neighborhood's favorite place to be.

My mom grew up in the Bronx unlike me who grew up all over. Dad was always expanding the company and moving from state to state until we settled down when I entered fifth grade.

It was important to my mom that I grew up in a stable environment and got to enjoy life as a kid. It was also important to her that I knew that I had more then most kids did and that I should be appreciative of that. This is why after basketball camp, I spent every summer in the Bronx working at my grandparent's store.

They made sure that I knew the value of a dollar.

"Of course, honey." My dad grabbed her hand, brought it to his lips, and kissed the back of it.

Twenty-five years later and they were still so in love with each other. Of course, they went through rough patches here and there but they always found their way out of it.

I wanted that with my future wife.

"So Ayanna, what are you majoring in?" Jax started off a different conversation per my mom's request.

"I'm majoring in Criminal Law." She answers after taking a sip of her wine. "Oh really, what made you pick that?"

Raven let out a chuckle," Too much time watching Law and Order: SVU." Ayanna shrugged her shoulders as if to say "and what about it."

"She would live, eat, and breath that damn show." " I still do." We laughed as Ayanna raised her wine glass towards her mom. " I guess I just watched the show and saw all these empowering female roles and thought I want to do that."

"I love that." My mom smiled at Ayanna in admiration." We need more empowering women in our world. Give the men a run for their money." She pokes my dad in the rib cage playfully.

"She's always been like that." Raven started off. "She and her best friend, Rhegan." I shot a quick glance at Dominic to see him stop scooping up mashed potatoes.

Don't have feelings for her my ass.

"They were always on their teacher's cases about how their assignments were always about old white men, and never a woman or a person of color. Don't even get me started on the petition they started on Lolita."

I chuckled, picturing Ayanna and Rhegan rallying up people and getting their petitions signed.

"Rhegan."Jax pipes up."Why does that name sound so familiar?" Ayanna was quick to turn towards Dominic, who was doing everything in his power to avoid her stare.

Good going, uncle Jax.

"She's Taylor Clarke's daughter."

Taylor Clarke was a very powerful man. He had connections in every pot you can imagine. That's why Rhegan's threats are never to be taken lightly.

She could ruin you with one phone call to daddy.

If Edwards was smart— which he isn't, then he would leave Ayanna alone, because you wouldn't want to piss someone off who has friends like Rhegan and Jora. Their fathers have a lot of influence and pull over the sports industry, and if he wants whatever Ayanna has on him to stay in the dark, then he'd better keep his distance.

''Ah, that's right.'' I could've sworn that I saw Dominic release a breath from out of the corner of my eye.

''Dominic's also very good friends with Rhegan. Right, Dominic?'' Ayanna smirked at him as she brought her glass to her lips. This was definitely payback for him airing out her dirty laundry earlier.

Dominic gritted his teeth in a fake smile as he stared down Ayanna. ''We are very good friends, just like you and Carson. Right Carson?''I choked on my wine as he turned towards me with a shit-eating grin.

This little shit right here is just asking for an ass whooping.

Our parents leaned in, all of a sudden interested in the conversation. A bunch of nosey fuckers, I tell ya.

''I'm good friends with her just like I am you.'' I tried to save face. Keyword being tried, our parents weren't oblivious to what we were talking about. '' But our definition of good friends is different than the good frie—"

''Is there pie?'' Ayanna cuts Dominic off as he leans back into his seat with a winning grin. If looks could kill he would be six feet under.

When our parents left the room to bring out the dessert, Ayanna leaned close to Dominic,'' Listen here you little shit, don't think I won't hesitate to tell Rhegan that you've been telling good ole Jax about her. How long have you liked her exactly?''

''How long have you liked Carson?'' He retorted.

I piped up waiting to hear her answer.''Fuck you.'' Ayanna narrowed her eyes at him and turned away. I leveled a glare at Dominic as he shrugged his shoulders,'' Then I guess we'll never know.''

"I guess not.'' Ayanna agreed as our parents walked back into the room.

''So,'' My mom started, placing her hand under her chin and batting her lashes.'' How long have you been single, Ayanna?''

I'm going to kill this woman.

'' Mom-'' I sputtered out, she waved me off and motioned for Ayana to continue on.

Happy fucking Thanksgiving.

"Rhegan."I whisper shout to the screen.

Right now I was hiding in the bathroom downstairs. It was a very nice, clean and modern style bathroom. The soap smelled good for it being just two men living here.

I was on group face time with the girls.

Skylar was glad to be away from the family drama. Jora was having a hard time dealing with her cousins and cursing them out in Spanish every two seconds.

"Joder, Joselyn, cállate, estoy en el teléfono."
(fucking shit, joselyn, shut up, i'm on the phone)

Poor Jora. Those children were a bunch of little monsters.

Elizabeth was struggling to contain her laughter as she stuffed her face with sweet potato pie. She practically begged me for that family recipe. Lucky for her— my mom loves her to bits.

"Damn Lizzy," Sade laughed, waving off her fine ass step-brother." Who you on the phone with?" He asked peeking over her shoulder. "If you don't get the fuck on."

"Hey Ayanna." He gave me the classic fuck boy lopsided grin." Ahht," Rhegan was quick to shut him down. "Ayanna's spoken for, move along."

It was clear who she was rooting for.

Rhegan on the other hand was living her best life in the Mykonos. She always went away for thanksgiving holidays and she always came back with cute little souvenirs for us. Rhegan loved collecting miniature items whenever she went out of the country. There was a cute little collection of them in her room at her massive ass home in the hills.

"Speaking of..." I say lowering my voice to semi whisper. "remember when I told you guys that I was meeting my moms boyfriend for the first time today."

They all nod their heads in unison and motion for me to continue on.

"Ayanna, hurry the fuck up." Dominic banged on the bathroom door. All the damn bathrooms in this massive ass house and he chooses this one.

"Is that—" Sade begins as I open the door and flip the camera. "It is."

Skylar let's out a cackle as Dom stands at the door, face scrunched up in pain as he holds his stomach. "Are you ok?" I cover my mouth as I stifle my laughter.

" You look a little— constipated." The girls start dying of laughter as he glares at me. "Now is not the time Ayanna." He groans pushing me out of the way. Before he closes the door I ask, "Don't you want to say hey to Rhegan?"

Dominic froze at the door, turning around and glared at me. "You're a dead women, Ayanna Heart." I smirk triumphantly." Ain't payback a bitch."

His stomach growled, followed by a wet sounding fart. "Oh God." I gag covering my nose at the deadly smell as the girls let out a round of eww's.

"Ain't payback a bitch." He grins before running into the bathroom.

Motherfucker.

"Get your man, Ray." I shout into the phone making sure he heard me. Rhegan ignores my comment as she finds a sudden interest in the tile on the flooring.

"Such a beautiful color, isn't it guys." She turns her camera to the tile while we give her amused glances.

"Yeah," Jora starts." It looks like the blue in Dominic's shirt, doesn't it guys?"

Skylar is losing her shit on her end, while Elizabeth is too busy enjoying her pie and nodding along." Fuck off, bitch."

"We love you too, Ray." Sade blows a kiss into the phone.

After I end the phone call with the girls, I walk back into the kitchen and fix myself some pie. A tattooed hand comes and grabs the plate away before I can dig my fork in.

"No." I make to grab the pie as he moves it away from me." Carson Addams, hand over the pie."

"What do I get if I give it to you?"

Does he think it's a negotiation. Either hand over the pie or pay the damn consequences.

"Do you deserve anything in return?" I move closer to him, trailing my hands along the marble countertop. He raises a brow as if he's in deep thought.

"Ahh." He snaps his fingers before returning his gaze to me."A kiss."

A soft chuckle escapes my mouth as he closes the space between us, staring down at me. "Kiss me for the pie, Heart." My body trembles from out close proximity and the intensity in his gaze.

I smile to myself, trailing my hands up his stomach feeling his abs and corded muscle underneath his shirt. Carson sucks in a deep breath as I close my eyes and moan softly.

My eyes open to see his green ones staring down at me, much darker then usual. His lips were so plump and so pink. They looked so fucking kissable and inviting right now.

"A kiss." I repeat. Carson nods his head as he sets down the plate. Leaning in I brush my lips against his, teasing him. "You fucked with my pie." He lets out a groan at my profanity. "Therefore you don't get a kiss." I pull away with a giggle and make for the pie.

I try to quickly turn around and make a run for it but he grabs the back of my shirt, slams the plate on the counter and then picks me up, repeating his earlier actions.

"Mmm." His large hands palm my thighs, squeezing them as he closes the space between us. "Kiss me, Ayanna." He moves closer, his breath brushing against my lips.

I watch as his gaze lowers to the whip cream on top of the pie. He dips his finger in and brings it to my lips. I stare down at him while he brings it towards his own and sucks it off.

My insides were in a frenzy from his intense gaze. He could fuck me on this counter if he wanted.

Fuck it.

Placing my hands at the back of his head, I pull him into me, closing that space between us and kissed him.

Hard.

He smirked into the kiss, pulling me closer to him. My crotch was pressed against his stomach as he grabbed my ass. I slipped my tongue into his mouth while moving my hands to his shoulders.

Our tongues collided against each other as we deepened the kiss. God, he was such a good kisser. He didn't use too much tongue and it wasn't too sloppy. I bite at his bottom lip causing him to sink his nails into my thighs.

A hiss leaves my mouth as he moves his kisses along my jawline. I let out a soft moan, tugging on his hair.

"Ahh hell nah." Dominic's voice booms causing Carson to stop his movements. "Not on my damn kitchen counter, and in front of the pie. "

"Nasty ass's." His face turns up in disgust as he looks us up and down.

Carson's body shakes with silent laughter as he pulls away from me. He places his forehead on mine before pecking my lips.

Carson placed me on the ground and handed me the plate and fork. "Let's not talk about nasty, steele." I warn, pointing the fork at him.

I heard just how nasty he can get firsthand.

Carson rubs the sides of my ass as Dominic says," I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm a child of God." I let a cackle at that straight up lie.

Child of God my ass.

"God bless." He turns around and heads back to what I assume is the game room. "That man is a whole ass character." I shake my head as i'm pushed back against the counter.

"Where were we?" "I think..." I say positioning his head to where it was before we were rudely interrupted. "Right here?"

I feel Carson's breath brush against my skin." I think so."

His lips made contact with my skin, sending electricity running through my body it's wake.I let my eyes close as he continues his actions.

Happy Thanksgiving indeed.

I forgot the damn authors note.

Anyways how did we like this chapter?!?!?

Can't wait to show more of Dominic's and Ayanna's bond.

Xoxo, Alexis

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.6M 95.7K 77
COMPLETED Penn State University. Home to the craziest sorority girls, most obnoxious football players, and a possible Vice President's son. Sloane Be...
134K 10.5K 64
✬ 𝕋𝕙𝕖 π”»π•’π•£π•œ οΌ† π•ƒπ•šπ•˜π•™π•₯ π•Šπ•–π•£π•šπ•–π•€ ✬ There is a crucial moment in one's life that determines the outcome of everything; well, as books and m...
238K 8K 133
Trope: Sisters roommate "Elizabeth." I choke out. "Yeah?" "I need you to let me go, if you don't, I'll lose myself in you and won't go out to that g...
390K 9.7K 43
*Slow updates* After agreeing to be the focus of a college article, senior Charlie Murtaugh gets more than he bargains for when he's assigned a clue...