Nowhere to Hide

By Aidanlmao

Ash Ketchum, former Champion of the Alola region, disappears without a trace. He knows he needs to do better... More

2: City of Smog and Sweets
3: Mental Battles
4: Memories in the Wind.
5: Fanning the flames
6: Alola, Kalos!
7: Rivals Renewed
8: Exhibition of Power
9: Endurance
10: Opening Memories
11: Finally it Begins.
12: Old Friends
13: Amour in Alola
QNA

1: Today and Tomorrow

4.6K 45 48
By Aidanlmao

I'm never usually groggy when I wake up. On my own journey, I can set my own bedtime, but I carefully crafted for myself a bedtime of 12 and a wake-up time at 8. That's how it is, and that's how it has been for the past 3 years, so imagine my surprise when I'm thunderbolted by my partner at five in the morning.

Now, I wasn't the most usual 17-year-old. Even discarding my trainer record, most teens my age are in towns or cities, getting in relationships, applying for college, and waking up using NORMAL ALARM CLOCKS.

"hey Pikachu... I'm sorry I stepped on that ketchup package two weeks ago" I managed to utter, thinking that's what this was about. Pikachu gave a confused look before continuing:

"chuu! pika!" My partner professed enthusiastically, before handing me my Rotom Phone.

"As my phone turned on, the blinding light caused my eyes to burn. "hey rotom, it's early..." I muttered, causing the brightness to drop to a level that didn't blind me.

As I checked my notifications, there was something that stuck out like a sore thumb.

'1 missed call from Youngster Joey'

'7 messages, 1 missed call from Selene'

'14 messages from the IRS'

'2 messages from Elio'

'121 messages, 39 missed calls from Zinnia'

"why's she calling now...", I groaned, before Pikachu pointed to her last message. 'ASH KETCHUM, ANSWER ME. ARE. YOU. GOING. OR. NOT????'

I pondered for a couple of seconds thinking about what she meant, but my face lit up as I had a realization. I'd never been good with dates, but I had a hunch that today might be the date of the opening.

I glanced at the calendar before confirming with myself. The First-Annual Pokemon World Tournament starts tomorrow and the opening is today.

"today's the day!" I remarked with confidence as I stood up and did a stretch, with Pikachu following.

"grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" our tummies seemed to resonate

"aaaaaand today can wait till after we eat," 

"chu chuuu" agreed Pikachu, foraging my bag for another Ketchup packet

As I plopped myself down back against the Rocky Cliffs of Meteor Falls, I started admiring the beautiful early morning sunrise, The sun seemed to peek over the horizon, it's pinkish glow chasing away the  stars it terrified a thousand times before. Though I traveled the world regularly, I'd always admired the sunrises and sunsets in Hoenn. While in Alola, they made you feel relaxed, in Hoenn, the sunset feels comforting and heartwarming, as if you're watching dimensions colliding, fighting a hopeless war where the winner can be predicted every time. Day after day, night after night. I'll miss this when I'm at the tournament.

I got out my rotom phone and texted back two words. 

"im going."

I pulled up a map of the world, then a smirk appeared on my face as I had a realization.

Before I reach Kalos, I could stop in Galar. Why this was important, I'll explain.

I needed some information, information that I could only get by revealing my true identity. 

Galar is the only nearby region I haven't visited as 'Ash Ketchum.' And I'd rather some random Professor know of my existence than, Arceus forbid, Professor Sycamore know I'm back.

That secret wouldn't last.

Also, stopping for clothes would also be nice.

I took a deep breath and examined all my Pokeballs.

"c'mon ouut everybody!" I proclaimed, as all my Pokémon came popping out of their pokeballs sleepily. I probably shouldn't have woken them up this early, but this was important

Of course, the first to complain was the one who arose from her luxury ball. "I'm legendary! I need my sleep!" said the small psychic cat telepathically. I wanted to comment that she was labeled a mythical Pokemon, but I decided it wasn't worth the effort.

Mai then transformed into a nuclear bomb.

I just sighed at the antics of my mischievous pokemon.

All my other pokemon slowly came popping out of their pokeballs, well, all except Rowlet, who needed a little 'convincing'. After one or two thunderbolts, a paralyzed Rowlet eventually arose.

After I tossed Rowlet a Cheri berry, a jealous Snorlax hangrily awakened from his slumber and approached, but I waved at Venosaur, who prematurely stopped the fight.

I was pretty satisfied with our early wake-up time... but well... Mimey wasn't. He knew exactly what day it was.

"Mimey mi MISTER mime MIME MI MI MISTER MI mis ter!"

Mai didn't have to translate, but she did anyway

"he upset."

I just sighed at their antics. You see, working for my mom had made Mimey a perfectionist, and three years of hanging around me hadn't changed that. 

"Yes Mimey" I groaned, "I know we were supposed to be up an hour ago"

Mimey was an unrelenting chaperone.

My other pokemon had some dumbfounded looks on their faces, as they were still confused as to why today was important.

"Meganium?"

"lucha?"

"Don't worry Meganium, Hawlucha." I assured, "I just have something to tell you, something that I've been keeping from you for a while..."

All of my pokemon were curious. Torterra looked a bit offended as he really didn't like when I kept secrets. I patted his leaves though and he started cooing. Dewott was also pretty confused, but he just scratched his head with the everstone-infused razer blade attached to his belt.

I looked up and said four words. "we're returning to civilization."

There was an eerie silence among my pokemon as they wore shocked expressions on their once-sleepy faces.

Torkoal was the first one to make a peep. He crawled to my feet and started crying happy tears. As I comforted him, Meganium started rubbing against me and I squeezed her vine to tell her everything would be okay. Lycanroc nuzzled me with the rocks on his neck and Goodra pulled us all in for one big hug. Crawdaunt held my other hand as Muk slathered my leg while Garchomp and Torterra nibbled on my head. Charizard was lazing on a rock with a smirk giving me a 'you did this to yourself' look while Pikachu and Scrafty were enjoying themselves on Snorlax's belly. Feraligatr started dancing like a child as Greninja, Krookodile and Infernape just stood to my side with a satisfied grin. Emboar stood beside them, as his flaming beard ignited his entire body... Palpitoad proudly jumped on my arm as my bird pokemon flew over my head with glee, as Gliscor even stole my hat (causing Noivern to attack without warning).

I snapped loudly, causing everyone to turn towards me.

I'd gotten quite good at that

"Since this will probably be your last chance for a good while, why don't we have a sparring session? Staraptor and Talonflame, stay on standby, will you?"

Everyone's faces lit up as they chose their battle partners. Heracross's long, threatening horn immediately grew bright as it looked for any excuse to brawl with Venusaur. 

Some things never change.

Mai launched a Shadow ball towards me. I backflipped, dodging it effortlessly. She tried turning into another doomsday device, but I used 'Return to Pokeball'. It was super effective.

I really hope she never learns of the ultimate weapon.

Pikachu's cheeks started sparking. Mimey's Light Screen attempted to block his thunderbolt, but the mouse pokemon shattered the invisible wall and sent Mimey flying into the walls of the cliff.

"Impressive" I decided, knowing Pikachu was only using a fraction of his true power. 

Charizard, Greninja, Infernape, and Sceptile were having a rivalry focused on who my team's Ace would be. The truth is, they respected each other but were too proud to admit it. 

They all hopped off without a word and started going at it. Greninja disappeared onto the cliff and fired fifteen Water Shuriken. Charizard knocked all of them out of the sky with a well-timed Air Slash. Sceptile was about to fire a Dragon Pulse, but Infernape launched a Flare Blitz towards him first, giving no time to dodge, Sceptile changed the direction towards Infernape and fired at the last second, causing an explosion so large a cliff collapsed.

Any ordinary pokemon would be completely knocked out by the blast, but my pokemon are far from ordinary. My pokemon aim to be the best, and they never miss.

Infernape just brushed off the damage while Sceptile attempted a Leaf Blade. Infernape, however, caught it and sent a Fire Punch with his other hand. Sceptile was pushed back on impact, but he wasn't going down easy, using his tail to knock down Infernape as a last-ditch effort. 

When they both realized I was watching, their faces were priceless, but I just nodded in approval. 

I called Sceptile over to me as Infernape launched a Brick Break towards Greninja, who narrowly avoided the super effective attack with a substitute. He landed on Charizard's back, but an overheat quickly sent the frog pokemon riding a surf to the foot of the cliff.

"Hey Sceptile, I know you're wiped from your battle with Infernape" I raised my fists playfully, "But wanna have a duel?"

Sceptile's face lit up. "tile Sceptile!"

"Best of Three," I noted, pulling an object out of my pockets. "I'm not holding back, so neither should you."

I raised the Key Stone as The Sceptilite around his neck started glowing a blinding white light, engulfing the Gecko Pokemon and transforming him into a Green and Red Komodo Dragon Monster. I, standing at 6'4, was normally a couple of inches taller than him. In his new form, however, the reverse could be said.

"Ready?"

Without hesitation, he forcefully launched himself forward. I swiftly sidestepped towards the right, but he sent a slam towards me with his massive, Christmas-Tree tail. I took the attack right in the gut, grabbing the base of the tail where I wouldn't be pricked.

It hurt like I was hit by ten speeding firetrucks, but that's not a problem. After all, pain is just a message, and I've trained myself to ignore it. I know my limits far better than my nervous system ever will, and you only reach new heights when you ignore your limits and push harder. 

My pokemon have the same mentality. 

He tried a Low Sweep attack, but I grabbed his foot, stopping him cold.

"Checkmate," I muttered, before lifting my arms and slamming him over my head behind me. He fell to the floor defeated, as I lightly tapped my worn-down sneakers on his neck, signifying victory.

"Looks like I win this round" I murmured, as I helped him back on his feet. We were about to go for a few more, but I checked my rotom phone showed a call popping up. Another call from Zinnia.

I answered.

"Hey Ash, thanks for returning my calls." she joked, as I faintly chuckled. "anyway, you still in Hoenn?"

I was anticipating this question.

"Yeah Zin, still at Meteor Falls."

She crossed her arms. I couldn't see her, but I know she did. That's what happens when Zinnia's your closest friend for three years. Before she could scold me for being late, I retorted.

"I know you haven't left Unova yet either!" I smirked, unable to ignore the riff of morning cars passing and beeping. "are you... in a city?"

"Mhm, arrived in Castelia yesterday afternoon. We've been away from other people for a couple of years, so I thought I could use some social interaction before going to the most prestigious trainer tournament in the world. You know, other people exist besides you and your... siblings."

I shook my head at her comments. She couldn't tease me about much, but she loved to bring up those two. "Selene and Elio are just my pupils."

She rolled her eyes. Again, I can't see her, but she did. 

"You treat them like brother and sister."

"Unlike us, they HAVE been keeping in touch with civilization. Also you're short."

She didn't like being teased about her height, though according to her, 5'5 is 'average'. She ignored my retorts and went back to her first point.

"So where exactly are they now?"

"I dunno" I mumbled, as I checked Selene's messages. "Apparently they said goodbyes to their families in Melemele and took a connecting flight to Goldenrod... and they touched down in Lumiose! They're walking the west of the way, even though Geosenge built an airport."

I questioned both her and Elio where they were, and Selene replied back with a paragraph and Elio texted back a singular word.

'Camphrier'

I sighed, knowing the hell I experienced there.

Suddenly, Charizard whizzed above me, being ruthlessly pursued by a speedy Greninja.

"Your Pokemon training again? You know we just have a few hours before the opening right?" She murmured, half giggling.

"Yeah... Twelve Hours." I replied, sipping some water.

"And you plan to cross an ocean... you're denser than I thought."

"Talonflame's faster than you think." I answered, smirking. "She could probably outspeed Salamence."

"I doubt that."

"I don't."

"Of course you don't, dense boy."

"can you come up with other insults, cape girl?"

She paused, as a tinge of regret washed over me for mentioning it.

I cleared my throat, shattering the silence. "You okay?"

"Y-Yeah,,, I just needed a moment."

"Okay, sorry for-"

"No worries."

"Okay."

"Okay."

Another moment of silence passed, but this time, she broke first. "Why aren't they using their ride pokemon?"

"Who- oh yeah." I shrugged. "Beats me, impossible to understand those two sometimes. One minute he can't talk because he 'accidently' took up seven jobs. The next, 'she went looking for medicine ingredients' and 'is stuck in Wela Volcano.'"

She giggled. "You're the one always saving them."

"Only because they're... decent trainers."

"You're proud of them, aren't you?"

I smiled.

"Too proud to admit it... anyway, good talk," she lamented, "but Aster and I about to have some famous Casteliacones and roasting you every few seconds would probably melt the ice-cream."

"They won't disappoint, and I thank you for telling me that because now I get the-"

"LAST WORD!" she blared, abruptly ending the call.

I sighed. "damn, she's quick..."

"Pika chu."

I turned to the rest of my pokemon.

"Talonflame, get ready.. Everyone else, return!"

Everybody touched their pokeballs, except for Tyranitar. He kicked his pokeball.

His arms are too short.

Much to my disdain, Mai decided it'd be a great idea to pop out of her Luxury Ball.

I may vaguely be able to manage Selene and Elio, but I'll never get what Mai is thibgjking.

"Get back in." I groaned, "We're leaving now."

She glared at me, not saying a word. 

Mai transformed into a Pidgeot. "I fly too!" she proudly proclaimed. 

"Can't you levitate?" I mumbled defeatedly.

I put all my now minimized pokeballs back into my bag and slung it on my broad back. Pikachu mounted my shoulder and I mounted Talonflame. Talonflame was enormous; I laid down by bag on her feathery back as Pikachu called shotgun near the front. 

I took a deep breath. "This way in Geosenge, lies the Tournament. The Pokemon World Tournament, and we're gonna win it all!"

"Pikachu!"

"Talonflame!"

"First stop- Wyndon, the Capital of Galar. I don't like the place, but there should be plenty of shops to buy new clothes and restock on the way on the way to Geosenge City."

Yup, you heard me correctly. Geosenge City!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

110M 3.4M 115
The Bad Boy and The Tomboy is now published as a Wattpad Book! As a Wattpad reader, you can access both the Original Edition and Books Edition upon p...