Their Fireheart

By KShroye

In a world where Prythian and Erilea were once one, Aelin Ashryver Galathynius is the Queen Who Was Promised... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Part One Epilogue
Part Two
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight

Chapter Twenty-Two

1.1K 50 6
By KShroye

Aelin

I glanced around the room filled with fae lords and warriors, who were getting absolutely nothing fucking done. Even after the explosive words from the Valg prisoner, all these males seemed to be able to do was argue and bicker like insecure children. I felt a migraine grow beneath my temple and had already exchanged a number of exasperated looks with Mor.

Underneath the soundtrack of their ridiculous conversations, my mind was racing with everything that I knew of both realms, and what was necessary to defeat the Valg. While an entire court of fire-wielders was an enticing weapon against the Valg, if they were truly set on conquering the realm, they would have been prepared. We needed a back-up plan, we needed the Book of Breathings.

Subtly, I turned my head slightly to make eye contact with Rhysand, combined with a subtle request down our bargain - which I now realized was strengthened through our mate bond, another issue I didn't have time to deal with - he opened his mind to me.

I spoke into his mind directly. We need to bring Rowan here. If we give them something else to focus on, maybe it will spur them into action.

He narrowed his eyes at me, Why do I feel as though that's not the only reason you want to give them something to focus on, my goddess?

I tried not to flush at his words, but the utter reverence with which he called me his goddess, even in his mind, was a difficult thing for even me to ignore. Also, the damn bastard was too smart for his own good. Of course he couldn't have just accepted my surface level reason for requiring a distraction. However, I suppose if I am meant to be getting used to this alliance nonsense, sharing a few crumbs of my plans wouldn't kill me. Probably.

I glared at him softly before explaining further, I am the novelty in the room currently. I need them focused on something else so I can speak to Tarquin. Privately.

I could practically hear the growl building in his throat and rolled my eyes as I appeased his territorial nature, Oh calm down you overbearing fae bastard. Well, appeased it as much as my own nature would allow me to. We need additional resources. We need his half of the book of breathings.

Understanding lit in his gaze as he nodded sharply. His eyes became unfocused slightly, and I assumed he was reaching out to Amren. Clearing his throat, he turned back towards the gathering of High Lords, "My second will be bringing another warrior from Aelin's world, who has experience fighting in her realm, as well as the Valg specifically."

I repressed another roll of my eyes as this news set off a fresh round of complaints, each of the High Lords speaking over each other with their objections.

"What use is he if he has no knowledge of our realm?"

"Was this the fae that bested Tamlin?"

"How do you know this bastard is trustworthy?"

Frankly, I was beginning to agree with Cassian's initial assessment of High Lords meeting, the posturing and bullshit was completely exhausting. However, I'd obtained my distraction, so I carefully moved towards my next target. I made a small show of whispering to Mor, letting her know I needed some air. I rose in a more sultry manner than usual, making sure to make subtle eye contact with Tarquin, enough that he knew it was purposeful, but not enough to bring attention from the rest of the room. Frankly, the last thing I wanted was further attention from these assholes that called themselves leaders.

I walked out to the adjoining balcony and leaned over the edge. If my curves were on full display in that position, well...it was purely coincidental, I promise.

From behind me, amid the cacophony of noise I heard Rhysand announce, "Please allow me to introduce you to Prince Rowan Whithorn, former blood-sworn warrior to the Queen of Doranelle and Carranam to Her Majesty Queen Aelin Ashyrver Galathynius."

The roar from within grew further when I felt a presence behind me. It was all I could do not to smirk, really these males were all too easy to manipulate. Tarquin stepped up next to me to lean on the railing, a little too close to be polite. He paused a moment, seeming to gather his thoughts before saying softly, "This must all be a bit overwhelming for you."

I glanced sideways at him before responding in a dry tone, "You would be surprised at just how familiar the idiocy of males is to me."

He appeared slightly mollified at the slight censure of my tone. He cleared his throat, obviously a bit uncomfortable and unsure. Really, the male was almost adorable. It was too bad he was nothing more than a means to an end. "I suppose all the posturing tends to be a bit much. Our time under the mountain fractured even the most secure of alliances, and I will be the first to admit that allegiances between courts has tended to be more tenuous than anything else."

I felt no pity for their stance when there were so many innocent people at risk. I allowed that to bleed ever so slightly over into my tone as I responded, "Even when the peoples of both our worlds are at risk?" He blustered slightly but I continued before he could mount any kind of defense, not that there was any, "When I was eight years old, a King under the control of the Valg attacked my kingdom. My entire family was slaughtered in cold blood, alongside thousands of my people. I am the last of my royal line, all because of the Valg. My last memory of my parents was waking up in their bed, drenched in their blood."

I hated reliving that memory, and revealing personal details of myself, but I knew I had made the right call when Tarquin's face blanched, eyes stricken with grief and thankfully not pity. He sucked in a sharp gasp of air as he tried to find the words to respond, "Your Majesty, Aelin, I-"

I didn't allow him to continue. "So while I have no doubt that your realm has experienced much hardship in the last 50 years, trust me when I say that what you have experienced will pale in comparison to the full force of the Valg."

He sobered, and I was blessed with a few moments of silence. I was thankful for the reprieve, and could not deny the peaceful atmosphere that the balcony encouraged. I certainly could not deny that the High Lord of the Dawn Court had impeccable taste in lodgings. I glanced back to the High Lord of Summer, allowing a slightest glimpse of the ghosts of my past to swim in my eyes. No doubt I cut a sympathetic figure, in my fine gown sharing intimate and tragic details of my past. I had to fight a dark laugh from bubbling up in my throat when I imagined how quickly the emphatic look in Tarquin's eyes would shift to disgust if he knew the full sordid details of what I've done. I may have been content to allow my people to suffer in the past, but never again.

Tarquin turned to face me fully, a seriousness in his eyes that spoke to his utter commitment and loyalty to his people, belying his relatively young age and lack of tenure as a High Lord. He radiated fierce, pure determination, which was probably the only hope I had that this little gamble would pay off. In a determined tone he asked me, "You know these Valg creatures the best of any of us, is there anything we can do to gain an edge against them?"

I sighed, looking away, "As I've stated, fire and skilled healers are the most effective tools against them, I just wonder if your armies will be enough, even if all remaining courts manage to effectively band together." I sneak a few furtive glances his way, opening my mouth and shutting it a few times as if I am hesitant to share the next part. Which I am, but not for the reason he thinks.

He nods encouragingly at me, and I huff out a harsh breath before expanding, "There is more that I can do, including potentially bringing over allies from my realm, but I don't have access to the knowledge that I would need to do it. Every book I've examined in The Night Court's libraries have only pointed towards one reference, The Book of Breathings. Without that book, I just don't know what our chances are."

I keep my expression as guileless and concerned as possible when Tarquin stiffens imperceptibly, scanning my face for any indicator of deception. Oh poor, innocent Tarquin. You have no idea just how thoroughly you are being played.

After several long moments, he finally speaks, "That. That is something I may be able to help you with. The Spring Court." He clears his throat, obviously uncomfortable with disclosing this information that I was already aware of. "The Spring Court holds knowledge of the Book of Breathings. If you were to visit my Court, I think that I could be of some assistance."

I hold his gaze, willing disbelief, eagerness and the smallest light of hope enter my eyes. I stutter out, something I never do, not that he would know that, "Th-that would be amazing! Tarquin - you have no idea how much it would mean to me, mean to this war effort if you could share that information with me." In a fit of inspiration, I throw my arms around him - quickly enough that he can't reciprocate - before pulling back and smiling broadly.

Tarquin's eyes shine with triumph and hope, and he brings my hand to lips, laying on a delicate kiss before responding with a smirk, "Then I look forward to your visit to my Court, Your Majesty. Together, I believe we can defeat this heinous threat." It takes considerable effort not to sneer in triumph when, suddenly, I hear a brutal snarl erupt behind me.

Rowan

When Amren told me Rhysand had requested my presence at the High Lord's meeting, I was more than eager to attend. The past day and a half without my Fireheart had been the worst kind of torture. I had seen a glimmer of her usual fire when The Night Court was betting on the outcomes of the meeting before she was whisked away from me. Again. Taken to a meeting filled to the brim with the most powerful fae of the realm, without me there to watch her back. While I knew full well that Aelin was more than capable of defending herself, it had taken more self control than I would like to admit not to fly after her and demand she let me stay.

However, I understood the logic behind it. She would be unable to hide behind her assassin's mask if I were in attendance, not that it had lasted long, and would immediately be seen as a larger threat. This would put her in more danger, something that I would never condone or allow if I could help it. That being said, I felt a momentary surge of relief when Amren and I winnowed into the meeting.

That feeling lasted all of a second before I realized that Aelin was nowhere in sight. I instantly wanted to hunt for her. Needing her within eyesight so I could confirm that she was alive, unharmed and whole. I almost snarled when I was waylaid by Rhysand's introduction. I suffered through the meaningless introductions from the other High Lords as I continuously scanned for My Queen. I had already learned enough during the week of study with Rhysand that I had a fair assumption of each of the lords. A few words from each were enough to ascertain that my initial assessments were correct.

However, once the initial bluster from each of the lords and their entourages, I noticed that not all of the High Lords were accounted for. I paused my search for Aelin momentarily when I shot my gaze towards Rhysand, who instantly opened the court link to my mind.

I felt the growl of frustration from not being able to find Aelin, but I knew if Rhysand needed me here, it was likely based on a request from her. Where are the rest of these pathetic High Lords?

I narrowed my eyes when I caught the almost imperceptible flinch from the High Lord of Night and fought back snarl. Thankfully he responded quickly, Aelin exposed Tamlin, the High Lord of Spring as a traitor for the Valg.

He shared the memory of the revelation mind to mind, and seemed irked that he hadn't known before Aelin's little show. I almost snorted at that. If there was anything I knew for certain about my Fireheart, it was that she was unfailingly dramatic. It seemed her flair for dramatics was shared by the other High Lords as they were still arguing loudly over my presence in both this meeting and their realm in general. Idiots.

That didn't account, however, for the absence of the High Lord of Summer, Tarquin. Paired with Aelin's lack of presence, it put my nerves on edge. Where is the other one, Tarquin?

Rhysand seemed hesitant to answer me, even when I narrowed my eyes at him. I glared harder, expanding my gaze towards Azriel and Cassian. Azriel seemed almost preoccupied, and I didn't miss the shadow wavering near his ear. No doubt he was taking full advantage of this meeting to gather as much information as possible. Cassian was the one who finally responded, after glaring harshly at Rhysand, and I could feel his burning ire through the mind link, He is on the balcony past the table. With Aelin.

Instantly, I was on high alert. I didn't have time to wonder why the rest of the Night Court thought it was acceptable for Aelin to be alone with this male, frankly I didn't care. I strode quickly past the bickering courts, instantly locking eyes on the scene on the balcony. Aelin and this High Lord, this Tarquin, stood much too close together for a casual conversation. I couldn't see Aelin's expression as she turned to face him, but whatever was going on I didn't like it. I may have been tolerating the other Night Court males around my mate, but if this bastard thought to move in on her without me here, he had another thing coming.

I swallowed down my fierce growl as best I could. It wouldn't do to approach this scenario too harshly, I had no idea what was going on. As much as it didn't appear so, this could be a perfectly innocent conversation. I had to talk myself off this territorial edge before I damaged my relationship with Aelin further.

But then she hugged him.

It was a quick embrace, clearly not romantic, but the moment her arms encircled him, in a gesture she had never given me, every rational thought eddied out of my mind. I was frozen at the entryway to the balcony watching my Fireheart, my mate, my life hug another male as if it didn't absolutely gut me.

I was still frozen when he brushed a kiss over the back of her hand, and every primal urge came raging to the surface. Rational thought was completely absent. I heard myself release a vicious snarl, only half realizing it came from me. In a matter of heartbeats I had ripped her precious hand from the grasp of this male and stood protectively in front of her.

"Get your hands off of my Queen." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

61.2K 1.2K 13
when aelin is taken by maeve and tortured, she is suddenly transported into another world after being on the verge of dying. things start to get bet...
47.8K 1.4K 47
The story of what would happen if Aelin got stuck in Prythian after her realm traveling. Spoilers to both ACOWAR and KoA. All characters belong to Sa...
61.4K 1.2K 34
A crossover between Throne of Glass and A Court of Thorns and Roses *Takes place after KoA and ACOFAS* ALL CHARACTERS BELONG TO SARAH J. MAAS
13.6K 296 45
Tog and Acotar crossover. When the Court of Dreams visit the Spring Court for Calanmai they, and the other High Lords, and High Ladies are sucked int...