Secrets That Bind | Book I

By avoxwrites

❝Being against evil doesn't make you good.❞ -Ernest Hemingway ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ BOOK 1 IN THE ROMANO SERIES ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸... More

welcome
aesthetics + playlist
//
0 // the right thing
1 // c.i.'s and drug busts
2 // the missing tattoo
3 // your friendly neighborhood angelo
4 // the not so mysterious vip
5 // a swooning mom and faded thoughts
6 // the case of the disappearing door
7 // flying bullets and a dead body
8 // confusing motives
9 // the devil wears a fedora
10 // intruders and fading lights
11 // crimson stained roses and unspoken apologies
12 // the devil's lounge
13 // brooding in the rain
14 // the devil is a gentleman
15 // a moment of gratitude
16 // the road less traveled
17 // betraying thoughts
18 // loyalty
19 pt.I // half truths
19 pt.II // half lies
20 // walking a dangerous line
21 // bittersweet endings
22 // making moves
23 // mundane things
24 // a good man in a bad world
25 // whispers of the past
27 pt.I // powerful people
27 pt.II // truth in a burning room
28 // ryan
29 // making sense of it all
30 // peace of mind
31 // the way of the wicked world
32 // a disaster awaiting
33 // summoning the devil
34 pt.I // day of the damned
34 pt.II // kill or be killed
35 // goodbyes are inevitable
36 // keep your enemies close
36.5 // this is how you will lose her
37 // weight of the world
38 pt. I // and so, it goes
38 pt. II // killing would be a kindness
39 // the price of power
40 // the bad thing
au revoir

26 // for his eyes only

526 23 10
By avoxwrites

///

yes, i changed the title of the book and the cover!! and tbh, I'm happy with it. i feel like this is more fitting with the vibe i'm going for. i tried having a book cover that would be similar to the other mafia books on this app, but I didn't like it, so I said, "fuck it," and changed it and now I'm happy. anyways, enough chit chat--let's get into the story!!! enjoy lovelies!

///

𝘈𝘯𝘢𝘺𝘢

"Guys," Sophie yells so that she can be heard over the loud music blaring through the speakers. "I think I'm gonna break up with Samuel—"

"What?" Liv shrieks as she slams her drink down on the small circular wooden table we're all leaning against. "Break up? What happened?"

Sophie glances at me, the sparkles of her eyeshadow and highlight glimmering under the neon strobe lights of the club that we're in. It's been a while since the three of us have been able to go out and have a proper girl's night. Normally, we'd hang out at someone's apartment and order takeout and call that a girl's night, but it's nice to dress up every now and then.

Taking a sip of my wine, I lean over to wrap my fingers around Sophie's. "Did something happen?"

She shakes her head before averting her gaze to the drink in front of her. "Nothing happened. It's just..." She looks up and shrugs, "I don't feel the same about him like I did when I was in high school. I see him more like a friend than anything else."

Liv wraps her arm around Sophie's shoulders and pulls her into a side hug before resting her head on top of Sophie's. Liv has a good five inches on Soph—she has a few inches on me as well—and when it comes to hugs, no one does it better than Liv.

Soph wipes a stray tear as she rolls her eyes. "I don't know why I'm crying. I knew I had to break up with him for months, I've just been pushing it off because I didn't wanna hurt his feelings."

With Liv still resting her head on Soph, her gaze connects with mine before her lip curls into a pout. Following her lead, I slide over and wrap my arms around Soph as well. The three of us stand like that, no words exchanged between us as we watch people's gyrating bodies on the dance floor.

After a while, I reach over for my wine glass and take a sip of Chardonnay. "You guys were together for what? Ten years?" Lifting my head so that I can look at Soph with a small frown. "Didn't you start dating Sam when you were fifteen?"

She nods her head, her gaze on the dance floor. "We've been together for twelve years. I don't count our random breaks in college as time apart because those only lasted for like two weeks."

I nod my head. "That's a long time, Soph. Obviously, it's not gonna be easy to move on even if you don't have romantic feelings for him. And bringing in Angelo—I mean, you two have a kid together!—it's not easy to walk away from a relationship like that, no matter how much you've outgrown him."

Liv nods her head. "The routine you two have with Angelo—I mean, you're still gonna have to keep Sam around because he's your child's father—it's not gonna be like other breakups where you can easily keep the guy out of your life."

"I know," Soph says as she leans forward, leaning her head on her hands. "Sorry for bringing the vibe down," she says as she lifts her head up moments later.

I shake my head with a frown, waving her off. "Don't even think for a second you have to apologize."

Liv nods her head. "But since we are at a club, let's go dance." She clasps her hands together, "Please! Please!"

I roll my eyes at Liv's behavior before downing the rest of my wine. Tucking my satin cami in my faux leather mini skirt, I offer a hand to Soph. "You're my dancing partner for the night babe."

Soph gives me a lopsided smile before tucking her short black strands behind her ears. Chugging the rest of her drink, she slips her fingers through mine and we make our way down to the dance floor to where Liv is.

"Liv can make a trash bag look couture," Soph says as we spot Liv swaying her hips effortlessly to the music.

I nod my head in agreement. It's true. With a bandeau and a bodycon skirt, Soph's statement holds true. I wouldn't be able to pull that outfit off.

"I love this song!" Liv yells as she grabs me and Soph by our arms, pulling us towards her. She begins to sway her hips, hands running down her body. Creating our own circle, Soph and I follow Liv's lead—each of us bringing the music to life through our bodies.

As the strobe lights turn red, the song changes to a more sensual tone. Pulling Soph to me, she begins to sway her hips her fingers locking with mine as she brings our arms over her head.

"My best friends are so hot!" Liv yells, cupping her hands around her mouth.

After a few moments of swaying my hips and moving my head to the music, I'm feeling the effects of the Chardonnay flowing through my body. The club and all the people in it disappear from my mind, the music being the only thing accompanying me now. It's a feeling I haven't felt in ages—not since college I think—and it's an addictive sensation.

"Oh my god!" Liv yells, grabbing me by the arm.

Tearing my eyes open, I see Soph and Liv looking at something over my shoulder.

"That's not him," Soph yells, her gaze still on whatever, or whoever it is behind me.

"It's him, I'm telling you," Liv yells before sliding her phone out of her boots. "I'm gonna call him, just watch him pick his phone up."

With a frown, I watch as Liv brings the phone to her ear before turning my head to see who my friends are looking at. My eyes weave through the sea of people crowding the dance floor, not being able to recognize anyone that Liv might have a phone number of.

Soph must've read my mind because she tugs my arm before lifting her hand to point at the VIP section. Following her finger, I spot a table filled with men—two of whom I immediately recognize. My eyes linger on the table for a few moments, waiting for the server to walk away so that I have a clearer view. The man standing to the right takes a swig out of his glass as he reaches into his pocket for what I assume is his phone.

Liv wraps her arm around my shoulders from behind me before leaning forward. "Guess where I'm at!" She yells into the phone, our eyes watching Emilio.

He places his bottle on the table before bringing his free hand to cover his ear. Taking a step away from the table, he looks into the sea of people in front of him.

"I'm looking right at you, Mil." Liv teases. "Try and find me."

My eyes drift from Emilio to the rest of the men behind him. Since Emilio is no longer blocking the table, I can see that there's a woman seated at the table as well.

A sinking feeling settles in my stomach as I watch the brunette lean against Alessandro. She places a hand on his chest as she laughs at something he said. But just as quick the feeling settles, I'm just as quick to brush it to the side.

It doesn't matter who the woman is, and it definitely isn't my concern nor my business. I'm here to have a good time and that's exactly what I'll do. There's no need for me to waste a thought on Alessandro because he doesn't matter. Not now. Not in this moment.

Ripping my gaze away from the man that's been taking up my thoughts a lot more than I'd like to admit, I watch as Emilio chugs the rest of his drink before leaning over to tell the men something. As he straightens up to point in our general direction, my gaze lingers on Alessandro. I know he won't be able to spot us in the crowd, so I allow myself to be greedy just for another moment. But as the table turns their attention to where Emilio is pointing, Alessandro's eyes fall on me almost instantly, despite all the people between and the shitty lighting.

"Come on," I say to Soph as I tear my gaze away from Alessandro, deciding that the alcohol is getting to me. There's no way he could've seen me with all the people on the dance floor and how far away he is from the crowd.

But then again, Emilio was able to spot Liv in a few seconds.

Whatever.

"He's definitely more than a fuck buddy," Soph says as we watch Emilio pull Liv towards him, a smile spreading across his face as Liv wraps her arms around his neck.

"Oh yeah." I agree, pulling Sophie along as I make my way to the bar.

It's clear that if I want to have a good night, I need some more alcohol in me to forget anything remotely relating to reality.

Pushing my way past the crowd around the bar, I turn to Soph. "What do you want?"

"Just get me a shot of tequila. You should take one with me!"

I roll my eyes at her. "You know clear alcohol and I do not mix."

"Boring!" Soph yells.

I roll my eyes at her and lean over the counter to get the bartender's attention. "Two shots of tequila please!" Sliding my hand into the flap of my Doc Martens, I pull out a twenty. Handing it over to the bartender, I take the shot glasses and turn to hand one over to Soph.

"Oh my god!" Soph yells, a huge grin sitting on her face when she sees me holding my own shot glass as well. "Now we're talking hun." We clink our glasses together before downing the bitter liquid.

I can't stop the violent shudder that radiates down my spine as the clear liquid slips past my lips. "I should've chugged my Chardonnay instead," I yell, my face still twisting in disgust.

Soph throws her head back as she laughs. "Come on!" She yells as she takes the shot glass from my grip to place it on the counter. "Let's dance! Who needs a man when I got a baddie like you." She says, wiggling her eyebrow.

I roll my eyes at her. It's clear the alcohol has hit my friend—my very serious friend, might I add. But it's nice seeing her so carefree for once. Being a working mom is anything but easy and if anyone deserves to let loose tonight, it's Sophie.

She twirls on her heels to face me as we find our small little corner amongst the sea of people. Somewhere behind her, I can spot Liv and Emilio dancing leaving no room for God, and somewhere farther, I can see Alessandro.

We're closer than we were before, so I can see the brunette even more clearly and I would be lying if I say she isn't in the ranks of a supermodel. Because she is. And of course, that's okay, because it doesn't matter.

"I think we're good here. If anything happens to Liv, we can beat that puta de madre before he can get away." Soph yells.

Tearing my gaze away from the pair at the VIP table, I close my eyes, running my fingers through my hair as I feel the beats of the music run through my body. Swaying my hips, I tell myself there's nothing to think about—nothing to bother me.

It's just me, my body, and the music tonight.

After a while, I feel a pair of hands on my hips and normally, I would've smacked them away, but tonight, I don't bother.

Alcohol coursing through my body, I continue to sway my hips, hands running down my body. Feeling a hand slip into mine, I open my eyes and look at Soph who motions for me to lean over.

"He's hot!" Soph says before pulling back, wiggling her brow.

The corner of my lip curves up as I lean back against the mystery man. I don't care for offering him anything more than a body to grind against, because quite frankly, my mind is on one man. And no amount of alcohol is going to change that.

Opening my eyes, I watch Alessandro converse with the brunette supermodel as the mystery man's hands slide up my body. His hands get dangerously close to my breasts as Alessandro turns his attention to the dance floor.

Come on.

His eyes float over my general vicinity before it falls on me. Not breaking eye contact, I guide the mystery man's hand to my waist.

It's like a demon has possessed me, throwing me into the backseat. I know I shouldn't let a certain curly haired man affect me this much. I know I shouldn't be imagining his hands on my hips. And I definitely know I shouldn't imagine his body against mine. But I do.

The music changes to a slower, more sensual tune, the lights changing to a soft hue of pink. At this point, I'm not sure if Alessandro is even looking at me, but I don't bother to check. Closing my eyes, I run my hands through my thick locks, imagining his hands run down the curve of my waist before gripping my hips, his mouth on my neck, his fingers in my—

It feels as though I'm hurtling down to Earth when I feel an arm snake around my waist and yank me forward.

I open my eyes, blinking as I orient myself in the strobe-lit room. Looking up, I see Alessandro glaring at someone behind me. My guess, the mystery man I was shamelessly grinding on.

Turning my head to see who the man is, I feel Alessandro's grip around my waist tighten. I barely get a good look at the man before Sophie yanks my hand, causing me to tear my gaze away from the blonde haired man.

"Do you want me to get Liv?" Soph asks with a frown as she glances up at Alessandro.

Wrapping his arm around my waist again, Alessandro pulls me away from Soph. "Scouts honor, I won't hurt her." He says to Soph.

"You better not!" Soph replies with a glare as she frowns at Alessandro before looking at me. "Are you sure about this Anaya?"

Truth be told; no. But the alcohol overpowers any voice of reason in my mind so I nod my head and she gives us one last look, her eyes narrowing at Alessandro before spinning on her heels to make her way over to Liv and Emilio.

"Come on, piccola peste [vixen]." Alessandro says, his lips brushing my ears as he nudges me to turn around. His hand slides across my lower back before finding my hand, lacing his fingers through mine, he pulls me along as he weaves our way through the drunken crowd.

My eyes are on the back of his head as I try to navigate my jumbled thoughts. On one hand, this is what I wanted; for him to notice me, for him to leave that brunette behind. But I don't want to have anything to do with the curly haired man if he's dating her.

Not to mention, he's my mom's boss and possibly a criminal. And if he is the son of Salvatore Romano, he's definitely not a good person and I should be running for the hills—definitely not following him to an obscure part of the club. Most definitely not that.

He leads us into a narrow hallway past the bathrooms and away from the crowd of the dancefloor before gently pushing me against the wall, completely ignoring the couple that's standing a few feet to our right.

He cages me between his arms on either side of my head, his eyes trailing my body before looking me in the eyes. "Quite a show you put on back there."

Leaning my head against the wall, I look up at him, the red light from above casting an eerie glow around his head. "I was just getting started."

"Oh yeah?"

I nod my head, wrapping my arms around my waist, feeling self-conscious under his piercing gaze. Whatever liquid courage the shot of tequila gave me is now long gone, leaving me hyperaware of everything. The pounding of my heart, the heat from Alessandro's body, the feeling of his curls brushing against my forehead, the butterflies in my stomach, and the heat between my legs—everything.

He doesn't say anything, his eyes roaming my face before leaning back. "And who was that man?"

My nails dig into my waist as I try my best to keep my breathing even. "Does it matter?"

"It does."

Against my better judgment, the corner of my mouth quirks up. "Are you jealous?"

He looks away, a breathy chuckle escaping his lips. Swiping a hand through his curls, he takes a step closer to me, placing one arm over my head while the other is right next to my ear. The fresh, earthy scent of his cologne fills the air around us, making it harder for me to ignore his overpowering presence.

"You're drunk," he muses.

Without a thought, I nod my head. There's no point in denying the obvious. I'm tethering on the edge of oblivion—one more drink, one more whatever that'll consume all my senses—and the part of me that knows right from wrong is buried deep in the scattered thoughts of my mind.

"You didn't disagree," he mutters. "You must be really drunk then." He says as he brushes his knuckles along the side of my face.

I can't seem to form any words as I keep my gaze on Alessandro. His knuckles leave a searing trail down my face until he stops to trace the script tattoo on my collarbone. Tearing his gaze away from the ink, silence envelopes us. The bass thumping from the music accompanies us in this secluded hallway, as we stare at each other. The red lighting of the hallway distorts reality, messing with my head—maybe his as well—as though we're on a different planet and anything that happens here won't matter.

He leans in and I close my eyes as he brushes his nose against mine, his lips hovering over mine. "Non hai idea delle cose che mi stai facendo [you have no idea the things you're doing to me]," he mumbles.

With my body acting on its own accord, I drop my arms from my waist and wrap my fingers around the silk material of his black dress shirt, pulling him closer. I have no idea what he said and quite frankly, I don't care.

I want to feel everything. I want to feel his hands on my body, his mouth against mine, his curls against my fingers—everything. And fuck, I want him. I so irrevocably want him. And for a fleeting moment, I press my lips against his, but the voice of reason I've buried deep in my mind makes an appearance, and the scene from the dance floor fills my mind.

The brunette. The woman Alessandro was with at the VIP lounge. The supermodel.

I place my palms on his chest and push him back, my chest heaving.

"Who was that woman?" I ask, my hands still on his chest. He knows who I'm talking about, I know he does.

He doesn't reply for a few seconds, his eyes assessing me.

"A business associate."

A small frown sits on my face. She certainly wasn't behaving like a business associate—and who conducts business at a club anyways?

"Are you jealous?" He asks, a full-blown smirk sitting on his lips.

My frown deepens. Dropping my hands away from his chest, I cross my arms over my chest.

I don't want to be the other woman and I definitely do not want anything to do with a man who would cheat. Looking to the side, I wrap my arms around my waist again as I try to suppress the memories of my last relationship—the one where I was cheated on. 

"She's no one, Anaya." He says as though he can read my mind, the teasing tone no longer apparent in his voice. He brings his hand to my cheek, nudging me to look at him. I chew on my lip, the frown still on my face as we both stare at each other. Sliding his hand down to hold my waist, his other hand still remains over my head as he leans in. "I may be a lot of things, but I'm not that."

I don't say anything, an internal battle of tug of war playing in my mind. I know I'm fucked, because it's not the possibility that I'm standing inches away from a criminal—a mobster, a killer—that's bothering me. It's the fact that he was in the company of a gorgeous woman. A woman whom I could never compete with—not that it's a competition—but it's hard not to compare yourself to someone who has won the genetic lottery.

"Anaya!" A voice calls, pulling me out of my spiraling thoughts.

Tearing my gaze away from the man before me, I see Sophie standing a few feet away from us, Liv and Emilio behind her.

Oh my god.

I duck under Alessandro's arm, sliding away from him as though he's made of hot coals. Slipping my fingers through Sophie's, I give Alessandro one last glance over my shoulder before looking at Emilio and Liv. I suppress the urge to scowl at Emilio's smirk before dragging Soph back to the main floor.

"I knew it! Valore mi deve 100 dollari [Valore owes me hundred dollars]." I hear Emilio's voice boom through the hallway.

"You, my friend," Liv says as she throws an arm around my shoulder, "Have a lot of explaining to do."

I don't even bother to reply, my mind still stuck on the fact that I was about to risk it all with a supposed criminal all the while worrying about who that mystery woman is to Alessandro.

Does that make me a bad person?

ngl, I had a lot of fun writing this chapter. and lowkey, writing this made me wanna go out with my friends and get drunk, lol. BUT, this past year has been shit and difficult for all of us and if masking up, social distancing, and putting off the social events means we save lives, then it's 100% worth it.

thoughts? comments? opinions?

I'm excited about the upcoming chapters, bc shit is about to hit the fan and things are gonna heat up bw sandro and anaya, ehheehHEHEHE

thank you for reading!! if you enjoyed this chapter, pls give it a vote🥺🥺

take care of yourselves, peace.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

739K 22.7K 63
BOOK 1 IN THE ROMANO SERIES (WARNING!!! 18+ ONLY ➡ THIS BOOK CONTAINS STRONG LANGUAGE, VIOLENCE AND EXPLICIT MATURE SCENES) Kiara Cambridge is a norm...
447K 8.4K 54
Raven Rodriguez has grown up a normal life with the future of the mafia looming over her back. A new guy moves to her school and seems to make it hi...
The Arrangement By ❦

Mystery / Thriller

459K 10.1K 48
𝟏𝟖+ "Do you have any idea," he started as he licked his lips, his tongue piercing catching my eye, "how much I've had to refrain myself from fuckin...
434K 8.6K 45
BOOK 1 Aaron Russo - Don of the Russo mafia. "To kill or be killed" He had many women in his life but the one thing he didn't do was love or relation...