The Line of the Sol Empress

By wdhenning

For over a millennia, the Line of the Sol Empress had reigned over the scattered planets of the Sol Commonwea... More

Part 1 - Phoenix Star
Chapter 1
Chapter 2.1
Chapter 2.2
Chapter 2.3
Chapter 2.4
Chapter 2.5
Chapter 3.1
Chapter 3.2
Chapter 3.3
Chapter 3.4
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7.1
Chapter 7.2
Chapter 7.3
Chapter 7.4
Chapter 7.5
Chapter 7.6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9.1
Chapter 9.2
Chapter 9.3
Chapter 9.4
Chapter 9.5
Chapter 9.6
Chapter 10
Chapter 11.1
Chapter 11.2
Chapter 12.1
Chapter 12.2
Chapter 12.3
Chapter 12.4
Chapter 13.1
Chapter 13.2
Chapter 14
Chapter 15.1
Chapter 15.2
Chapter 15.3
Chapter 15.4
Chapter 15.5
Chapter 15.6
Chapter 16.1
Chapter 16.2
Chapter 17.1
Chapter 17.2
Part 2 - Firebird Rise
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20.1
Chapter 20.2
Chapter 20.3
Chapter 21.1
Chapter 21.2
Chapter 21.3
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 25.1
Chapter 25.2
Chapter 25.3
Chapter 25.4
Chapter 25.5
Chapter 26.1
Chapter 26.2
Chapter 27.1
Chapter 27.2
Chapter 27.3
Chapter 28.1
Chapter 28.2
Chapter 28.3
Chapter 28.4
Chapter 29.1
Chapter 29.2
Chapter 29.3
Chapter 29.4
Chapter 29.5
Chapter 29.6
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33.1
Chapter 33.2
Chapter 33.3
Chapter 33.4
Chapter 33.5
Chapter 34.1
Chapter 34.2
Chapter 34.3
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38.1
Chapter 38.2
Chapter 38.3
Chapter 39
Chapter 40.1
Chapter 40.2
Chapter 40.3
Chapter 40.4
Chapter 41
Author's Note

Chapter 24

102 18 69
By wdhenning

Love seeks reunification.

- Writings of the Sol Empress, Words of Faith

[Gabriel]

The swirling winds howled through the docking hatch as it swung open, pelting the walls and floor with blown grit. Gabriel dashed out of the galley, Hope behind him, expecting to find his father. They did, but not as expected. A dark-haired woman grunted, bent over, dragging Moon through the hatchway by his arms, his body plowing a wide streak through the thin reddish-brown dust that coated the floor. Goggles and a neck gaiter covered the woman's mouth and eyes, protecting them from the swirling dust. The howl ceased as the door creaked closed.

Gabriel stood in the hallway with arms crossed and eyebrows elevated, confused by what unfolded before him. The woman turned and froze, letting out a faint gasp. She dropped Moon's arms and let his head thump on the floor.

He stared at the woman while running a hand through bushy hair. Is this Haven? And what had she done to Dad?

The gaiter muted her voice. "Gabriel... Is that you?"

Gabriel's mouth dropped open. How did she know me? He only nodded.

The woman threw off her goggles, letting them drop to the floor, and pulled down the gaiter, leaving behind lines of caked dust on her skin. She rushed over to him, grappling him in a tight, almost suffocating hug. A cloud of dust rained down from her shoulder-length hair. "Oh, it has been so long."

The woman lifted her head to take in Gabriel's sister, standing wide-eyed behind him. "Hope?" The woman hugged her in the same manner. "I wasn't sure I would ever see you again."

As the dust fell away, Gabriel noticed the stylized sun mark tattooed on her neck. She is a Sol Priestess? What is happening here?

With a motion to Gabriel, the woman said, "Help me with your father. Does this ship have a med bay?"

Gabriel picked up his father under the arms and pulled him down the hallway, saying to the woman, "What happened?"

"I shot him."

Hope's eyes popped full open. "You what?"

The woman shrugged. "I couldn't tell who he was, and he had a gun. But I only stunned him."

Gabriel and the woman hefted Moon onto the narrow examination bed. As he swung a transparent half pipe over his father, colored lights and charts appeared on an overhead display screen. The woman pulled off Moon's helmet, gently tucking a small pillow under his head, and placed a hand on his cheek.

She does care about him.

Gabriel stepped back next to his sister with folded arms and narrowed eyes. "Who are you? How do you know us?"

The woman turned and put on a warm smile. "I gave birth to you and your sisters. You nursed at my breasts."

Hope took a sharp breath. "You are Celeste? How... Dad said you were killed!"

"So I meant him to believe."

A voice came from overhead. "Priestess, is that you?"

"Yes, it is, Sai. I am happy to hear your voice again."

"I am overjoyed, Priestess, that you are indeed alive."

Gabriel closed his gaping mouth and shook his head. Dad is going to be so pissed.

Celeste drew Hope and Gabriel back into a tight hug. "I missed you all so much." She lifted her head. "I remember, Gabriel, that you escaped from every crib we had. And you Hope, you were the most tactile, and the loudest one."

Gabriel smirked. "She's still loud... Oww!" He rubbed his side where Hope elbowed him.

With a chuckle, Celeste asked, "Where is Faith? Is she here?"

A wave of grief welled up within Gabriel, crashing against his heart. Not able to form the words to respond, he turned to his sister.

Hope's chin quivered while her eyes narrowed to slits, as much anger in her expression as grief. Her voice cut. "They killed her."

A sharp gasp came from Celeste's lips. "Oh, no, no..." Water glistened her eyes and she buried her head into Gabriel's chest, trembling.

Lifting her head, Celeste wiped tears across her dusty face, creating thin smears of mud. She returned to Moon, cupping his cheek again and whispering something in his ear. She gazed up at the medical monitoring data. "Your father will be asleep for a while." Turning back to Gabriel and Hope, she said in a solemn voice, "Tell me everything."

*****

After a few hours, Moon's eyelids fluttered against the bright light, and a faint moan left his lips.

Celeste gazed down at him, one eyebrow lifted. "First time to take a stun pulse?"

He murmured. "No. But it has been a long time." Snapping his head around, he glared at Celeste. "Why the hell did you shoot me?"

She raised her voice, flinging her hands out. "I couldn't tell who you were with that helmet on, and you were pointing a gun at me. I am still wanted by the Commonwealth!"

Hope came forward. "Dad, did you really shoot her when you first met?"

Moon pointed at himself. "She had a gun on me. But that was different. She stowed away on my ship." Turning his eyes, he focused on a smirking Celeste. "You are enjoying this, aren't you?"

Celeste said, "It is a sweet karma. I admit a degree of pleasure."

Moon propped himself up on his elbows, preparing a retort. But his head swayed as the color drained from his face. Celeste grasped his shoulders and guided him back down. "Easy, tough guy."

After two deep breaths, he turned to her. "I thought you were dead! And I grieved you for so long. Every time the little ones looked for you, my heart broke again. Do you know how difficult that was?"

"I'm sorry." Celeste bowed her head. "It had to be that way."

Moon yelled, balling his fists. "The hell, it did! We could have made it work!"

Gabriel leaned against a wall, amazed at his father's fury. I've never seen anyone get to him like that.

Celeste matched his tone. "I made the right choice! My presence would have been a danger to you and the children, and you know that!" She paused, then lowered her voice. "I'm sorry about Faith."

"You should have been there for her!" Moon sucked in a breath. Silence filled the moment, hanging in the air like smoke. Celeste dropped her head and a heavy breath escaped her lips. Moon put a hand on her shoulder. His voice became gentle. "I'm sorry. That was unfair. If there is any fault, it was mine." He glanced toward Hope, his eyes consoling. "It was I who should have been there."

Moon drew Celeste down, allowing her to nuzzle against his shoulder. She whispered, "I missed you. It was so hard not to run back."

"So how did you do it?" Moon asked. "Get off the Phoenix Star before it was destroyed?"

Celeste rose up, leaving a hand on Moon's shoulder. "I used that maintenance shuttle we stole from the Oracle Station. Just in time, too."

After a moment, Gabriel said, "So, what happens now?"

Celeste took hold of Moon's hand. "We need to plan. There is much more at stake than just us."

Sitting up, Moon took a deep breath. "A little later. Right now, I just want to lie down in my bed."

"I'll help you." Celeste snaked one hand around his back and pulled his arm around her neck. Together, they ambled out the med bay hatch and down the passageway. Hope and Gabriel followed silently behind.

Moon put on a half grin. "You know, you still look good, Celeste."

With a smile in return, she said, "You are not so bad yourself." She bit her lower lip, looking up into his eyes. "Umm, did you find anyone else?"

"No." Moon huffed. "You know how I am with finding women."

The rounded hatch to Moon's bedroom squealed when Celeste pulled it open. She turned her eyes up to the ceiling, saying, "Begin Coltrane playlist."

They entered without looking back. Hope jerked back as the door shut in her face. Dropping her jaw, she turned to Gabriel. "Why did she do that?"

Gabriel rolled his eyes. "Really, Hope?"

Turning back to the door, Hope said, "Sai, what is happening in there?"

"Captain Moon had turned off the visual monitors, but based on audio data, they appear to be kissing against the forward wall. If I may speculate, I would say that accelerated foreplay will result--"

Gabriel interrupted, holding up his hands. "That's enough, Sai. We get it."

Hope drew her lips tight, twisting back and forth while staring at the hatch. "This is awkward. Let's go somewhere else."

"Yeah."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

328K 21.6K 40
"How did you find this place?" Zia asked the King, speaking for the first time since entering the tent. "I've been searching for the location of your...
2K 237 15
A mysterious garden. A forgotten prince. A forbidden romance. ------------ After losing her job at a large garden nursery, Waverly Harris travels acr...
33K 2.4K 36
Decades ago there were Hunters, people who inherited an ancient power gifted by the gods and who protected the world from the nightmarish creatures k...
1.7M 113K 68
Mankind is evolving. Some love it, some fear it. Some embrace it, some envy it. For Zoey, the evolution of man has always been in the darkest part of...