When The Camellia Wilts | The...

By AlecxMaeGallego

Mother Nature has always been extremely generous and loving. But, as every organism that exists, when taken a... More

Disclaimer
When The Veil Lifted
When One's Strength is Tested
When The Only Way Is To Adapt
When The Bond Gets Stronger
When The Hand That Fed Gets Bitten Part I
When The Hand That Fed Gets Bitten Part II
When Two Worlds Collide
When One Escapes Death
When One Can Start Over
When Justice is Vengeance Part I
When Justice Is Vengeance Part II
When Justice Is Vengeance Part III
The Captain and The Governor
The Walls Can Talk
The Rescue
The Acceptance
The Tombs
The Meeting
The Mourning
The Return To Woodbury
The Accident
The Quartz
The Fall of the Prison
The Sign
The Wrong People
Don't Let Loose The Man With Loose Screws
The Type to Have a Pity Party
All The Good Ones Die
You Gotta Die First In Order To Live
Carol's Kick Ass Casserole
Pretty Serious Spaghetti
Just A "Little More"
A Selfless Cigarette Thief
Classic Pot Calling The Kettle Black
Come Back Or Die Trying
Spin Around and Go Back
Not Enough Bandages
Nibble On That, Hot Stuff
Bisquick and Pancakes
Ugging Bumplies
Something To Talk About
Who Are You Really Doing This For
Your Brand-New Beginning

The Illness

36 7 0
By AlecxMaeGallego

"Health is not valued 'till sickness comes." 

- Thomas Fuller

'It's okay to give up.'

Aliya's eyes shot open, her eyes squinting under the bright sky. Should I just give up? She pushed herself up with a sigh, her back aching from the cold steel of the bus roof. She still hasn't grown accustomed to sleeping in the prison halls. Since the governor kindly blew up the watchtower, she had been sleeping in the bus just outside of the halls. 

It just so happens that she fell asleep on the roof. Daryl watched her from the ground before opting to join her on the roof. "Hey!" he called out. She looked back at him and smiled, "Hey." she answered back softly. She watched him climb the bus and throw himself at the space beside her. Daryl then fished for his cigs and kindly offered her a stick. 

She did a double-take before taking it from him, leaning towards him so he could light it for her. "Thanks." she smiled before doing the same to him. He thanked her gruffly, giving her a slight smile. 

Aliya huffed and puffed before looking at him, "Can't sleep?" she asked with a teasing tone. Daryl lifted his brow at her, "Nah." he shook his head with a grimace. Sleep has been very dodgy these past few days. He played with the lighter on his fingers before nodding, "What'd you two talk about earlier?" he gently asked, seeming to appear not eager. 

She scoffed, "Girl talk, Daryl." she smirked, "So snoopy." she pouted, shaking her head at him teasingly. He rolled his eyes and scoffed, "Whatever." 

She watched his expression with an amused smile on her face. It was always amusing how animated his reactions are. "Just told her that if she needed to talk, I was there." she finally answered, bumping his shoulder with hers. He hummed and nodded, "Ditto." he looked her in her eyes. She blinked rapidly before backing away slowly. 

Daryl cleared his throat, "Well, you don't gossip." he nodded, looking around the field. "You don't keep promises either." 

Aliya's head whipped as fast as the speed of light. Her face crumpled in offence, "The hell are you talking about?" she challenged. Her patience really is something. He rolled his eyes, "My cigs. Where's my pack?" he reminded her. She lightly laughed, "Where did you get that from?" she pointed at his pack. 

He looked at it and lifted it up, "Tyreese." he furrowed his brows. She smirked arrogantly, putting her hand on her chin, "And who was on the run with him, friends?" she mockingly asked the walkers far away. Daryl's mouth ran agape as his tongue pushed against his cheek, his laughter threatening to spill out. 

He shook his head, "Okay." he muttered in defeat. Aliya smiled triumphantly, blowing a happy smoke in the air. It was nice, bantering with Daryl back and forth. It was refreshing even. She expected him to leave once his cig was done but he stayed even though they didn't talk much. 

Not that they needed words to connect. 

==+==

Aliya tried farming with Rick but quickly realised that it was more for the father-and-son than for anybody. She was appreciative that they really tried to engage with her and include her but she felt intrusive. So here she was, resting on the steps towards Daryl's room when gunshots echoed through the hallways.

Her eyes found Daryl's immediately, "Where's it coming from?" she asked, feeling lost. Daryl shrugged before pointing at the tombs. There were still walkers in the tombs so they should check that first. She followed him without protest, noticing Sasha and Tyreese in pursuit. Sasha helped her clear out the walkers so that Tyreese and Daryl could lock the gates. 

She shook her head, "It's not here." she whispered before running back towards the door to the field. They were met by a restless Rick, "Clear! We locked the gates to the tomb!" Sasha answered Rick's question. They all headed to Block C where the gunshots were coming from. 

What they found was chaos. Aliya's eyes widened as her breath got caught in her throat. Daryl snatched the man's shotgun before making a beehive deeper into the block. Rick ordered the others to get out while Aliya snatched a kid from a walker's grip, "Let's go, baby." she soothed before giving the kid to Karen. 

Daryl swooped a curly-headed kid from the ground and Aliya immediately came in and shot the walker reaching out for them. Glenn came in with the assist, bashing the walker on the steps. Aliya nodded at Daryl and Glenn before rushing towards Rick who had an elderly lady in his arms. Rick nodded at her absentmindedly, "Check deeper into the cells." he ordered. 

She nodded before passing by Glenna and Sasha, making a beeline towards the halls. Please let it be empty. Aliya squinted her bad eye in order to focus in the dark, her weapon up and raised. When it was empty, she rushed back to the others and informed Sasha that it was clear. She looked up to Daryl who signalled for her to follow him upstairs. 

Her footsteps were soundless as she followed Daryl check the second floor. A grunt made them look back to see Daryl being tackled by a walker. "Get down!" he shouted at Glenn who did just that. A bow embedded itself on the walker's skull, freeing Glenn of its dirty hands. Aliya jogged towards him and with Daryl, helped him up to stand. Looking at the walker, her frown deepened. 

It was Patrick. 

Aliya walked towards the cell on the opposite end and opened the curtains. "Fuck!" she yelped as a walker lunged at her, almost making her topple over the railings. "Aliya!" She looked at Daryl who ran towards her, yanking the walker away and pulling her into his arms. She heaved a difficult breath, "Thank you." she whispered into his chest, pulling her eyes shut. He too was breathing heavily, clutching her tight. 

When Aliya looked at the walker, she realised that Glenn has already taken care of it. Rick nodded at her in comfort which she smiled for. That was a close call. She tapped his chest, "Let's get this over with." she lightly smiled up at him, gently making her way towards the other cells. She wiped the blood on her neck before lifting her dagger, digging it on the walker's forehead with a grunt. 

She's too lazy to give up. 

----

If it was a different time, Aliya would've been lost to the world of the books all around them right now. But that's a luxury that nobody could afford now. "Quarantine?" she asked Carol who sadly nodded. Daryl looked at her with dread in his eyes which she returned with a comforting nod. He looked at Carol, "That's all of us." he shook his head, "Maybe more." he shrugged to himself. 

The sickness was lethal, that was already established. The walkers were inspected by the council and some, and it was discovered that there were no wounds nor bite marks. Aliya's hand shot towards her neck, the ghost of the blood that sprayed suddenly felt warm. She has been exposed. Her eyes dropped to the floor, her heartbeat harsh against her ears. 

Daryl noticed this, his face crumpling into a worried frown. Was she still shaken from before? It was a nasty sight, she was hanging on by a miracle. A slight movement from the walker would've dropped her into the first floor, onto the steel table. 

"We can use cell block A." Carol suggested. 

That brought her back to reality, staring straight at Carol. Death row? It's cruelly ironic. Putting those who were about to die in a death row cell block. Daryl furrowed his brows at Aliya's silence. His attention was ripped from Aliya when a cough rang out from the hallways. Aliya's frown deepened as she saw that it was Karen. 

Daryl offered to go bury the dead ones, being instructed by Hershel to wear gloves and a mask in doing so. He was about to go do so when he noticed Carol staring into the distance. It was hard, the kids were around Patrick and some of the more able-bodied were too. Carol nodded at the direction of where Aliya stayed back in. Her head hung low as she pondered about her extremely close encounter with the infected ones. 

He peered into the room and sighed, "You alright?" he swung his crossbow on his back, leaning on the doorframe. She lifted her head up and looked at him, "I'll help with the sick." she offered. He shook his head, "Nah. You'll just get exposed." he frowned at her, unhappy with her offer. She sighed, "I was already exposed by blood and saliva, Daryl. The walker that attacked me had no bite marks." 

He gulped slightly, worry etching onto his face. She smiled comfortingly, "You go bury the dead," she nodded, "I'll help lessen your task." she tapped the table, pushing herself up. Daryl shook his head, frustrated at the situation. He sighed before turning back, making his way to do his job. Carol and Aliya's eyes met. They exchanged a comforting smile, nodding at each other in understanding. 

She needs to make sure the two stays separate. 

----

The walkers were starting to become too much for the fence to handle. The beams were pulling out of the ground, the whole thing threatening to give. Aliya grunted as she stabbed one in the head, the force making her fall to her knees. Daryl looked at her but she shook her head and put her hand up, "I'm good. Just tripped on a rock." she groaned as she pushed herself up, going back to stabbing the walkers. 

Aliya and Maggie stayed far from the others, trying to keep a safe distance while helping. Rick then instructed Daryl to get the truck, a quick but temporary solution in his mind. They all watched in complete hopelessness as Rick slaughtered pigs after pigs in order to distract the walkers, pull them from the vulnerable fence. 

Aliya could see the sadness and agony in Rick's actions. A great leader indeed. She felt empathic, knowing how it felt to sacrifice something they all needed in order to eliminate the loudest and immediate threat. The Camellia wasn't all rainbows and puppies. She remembered having to starve for almost a week in order to feed the elderly and the kids. It was painful. Now they're experiencing it again. 

She walked back to block A with Maggie in tow. "How are you feeling?" she asked Maggie who looked far away. Maggie looked at her in slight shock, "A bit tired, 's all. What about you?" she continued the conversation. Aliya pursed her lips together before nodding, "A slight headache, but I can deal." she smiled, shrugging. 

Maggie sucked in a breath, "Do you remember what you whispered to me last time?" she looked at Aliya. The one that made her eyes go wide, intriguing Daryl. She chuckled a bit, "I do." nodding at her teasingly. Maggie put both of her hands on her face, hiding her blushing cheeks in embarrassment. Aliya smirked, "I guess that's what I get for not minding my own business." she laughed, amused. 

She witnessed proof of love in real time. Thinking that it was a bunch of walkers in the towers, she used her scope to look at the tower and saw that it was just Maggie and Glenn getting it on. But Maggie was not one to back down, "Still want me to teach you the tricks?" she winked at her. Aliya's cheeks reddened, her joke backfiring on her. "So you could use it on Daryl?" she lifted her brows up and down, horrifying Aliya. 

Her eyes widened, "Okay! No!" she giggled, waving her fingers at Maggie. She was laughing real loud that it made her stop in her tracks. Maggie went to her side, touching her back, "You okay, 'Liya?" she worried. Aliya shut her eyes real tight as static danced in her sight. She shook it off, "I'm okay, the joke really backfired huh?" she smiled and chuckled lightheartedly. 

They bantered for a while before separating, each making their way towards their respective tasks. Maggie went and took a shovel before making her way towards the field, to help dig the holes for the dead while Aliya made her way into block A, to aid with the sick. 

Aliya watched as Dr. S put his head against John's heart. She waited in anticipation, hoping that there was at least a faint heartbeat but when Dr. S shook his head solemnly and pushed his switch blade, she already knew what was to happen. She gulped as she looked away, clutching onto the cell bars for support. Dr. S noticed this, looking up at her with worry, "Aliya." he called for her. 

She could hear his voice but it seemed very faint, like it was far away. She blinked rapidly as her eyes started being swallowed by black splotches. He stood up slowly, putting a supportive hand on her back, "Aliya, I'm gonna need you to lie down." he cooed, gently walking her towards the empty cell next door. Aliya shook her head, "I need to assist you, Dr. S. I can see you shutting down." she protested. 

"Three more patients and we're done, doc. I'll just have to hang on by then." 

The doc was hanging by a thread, being exposed to everyone who was sick. He needs assistance and she was gonna be stubborn in order to lessen the risk for everybody. He sighed before nodding, "Alright. Let's do this quick." he slurred, his speech becoming dragged. Aliya swallowed a lump in her throat, wiping her cold sweat with the sleeve of her top. 

In the end, they all fell down. 

----

"It's spread." 

Daryl's eyes whipped towards Hershel who was gutted as he announced the state of cell block A. His heart pulsed aggressively as Hershel listed who has fallen to the sickness. Hershel then looked at him pointedly, "Aliya assisted Doctor S until the end." he nodded. So how was she? Daryl scooted closer, "How is she?" he asked lowly. 

Hershel looked at Carol and the others before looking back at Daryl, knowing that he wouldn't like what he was gonna say. "It's bad, Daryl." he lowered his gaze as Daryl's eyes widened. He cleared his throat before standing up abruptly, alerting Carol. She pulled his arm, "Aliya asked me to keep you from going into block A. You're not going anywhere near there." she authoritavely ordered. 

Daryl pulled his arm from her roughly before being reprimanded by Hershel. With no choice, he sat down frustrated, his jaw clenched painfully. When the option of going on a run to retrieve medication and supplies were laid on the table, Daryl jumped at the opportunity. He might not be able to see Aliya now, but he should be able to give her and the others what they needed most to brave this sickness. Michonne jumped in on the plan too, desperate to help the sick. 

It was driving him crazy, not being able to see her before leaving the prison grounds. That was their routine, at least seeing each other's face before leaving for a run. When they return from this run, it doesn't matter what the others say, he's gonna see her face, check up on her. She was always there, an arm's reach away from him whenever he needed somebody. He wanted to be there too, but not empty-handed. 

----

Aliya struggled to keep her eyes open while in line towards the new cell block. Carol stared at Jeanette who tried to persuade her that it was just seasonal allergies. Aliya walked up and put a soothing hand on Jeanette's back, "Let's go Jeanette, in we go." she tapped her back lightly. Carol nodded at Aliya to go to the side, "Are you okay to walk? You just fainted." she asked, her voice laced with concern. 

She coughed into her elbows, stepping back from her a little bit. "How is he?" she asked, ignoring her question. Was she really worrying about Daryl when she can barely function? Carol grimaced, "He wanted to barge in here." she shook her head. Aliya slightly scoffed, "Stubborn as a mule, that guy." she rolled her eyes with a smile. "How are you?" she asked Carol who paused for a bit. 

"I'll be okay." she trailed off, whispering. Then she looked at her intently, "You have to survive, Aliya. You can't die on us." she adamantly stated, no room for buts, ifs, or no's. Aliya wanted to smile but she felt too weak to even lift her lips, her eyes drooping low in tiredness. She threw herself onto the doorframe, clutching onto it for life. Carol immediately stepped up only to be stopped by Aliya's hand in the air. 

She shook her head, "No! You can't get sick too." she croaked out, a rough cough racking her body. She fell with a thud on her knees, a sickening groan leaving her shaking lips. Carol's eyes watered as she watched Aliya crawl inside. She closed the door with her legs before making her way inside one of the cell rooms. 

Aliya threw herself onto the thin mattress and sighed, a tear leaving her fluttering lids. She coughed again, only this time, blood spluttered from her mouth and into the floor below. Her body jolted violently as her body involuntarily released a fit of aggressive cough. She must've been extremely noisy as Glenn was suddenly in the room with her, caressing her back. 

It was painful. She groaned as she wiped her mouth, her chest heaving up and down as she struggled to catch her breath. "Breathe, Aliya." Glenn tapped her back repeatedly, trying to help her catch her breath. Aliya trembled terribly, here body seemingly becoming uncontrollable. Glenn's eyes widened as he fell to the floor, the sight of Aliya's body fighting. 

And then she stopped. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

294 18 17
O has been on her own her entire life. She only ever had one person she truly trusted in her life but just like always she ended up alone. When the w...
308K 7.3K 117
Savannah born CJ Jefferson, 33 years of age when the dead rose and the living began to fall. Her father, a former corporal in the army, raised his 2...
49.2K 2.8K 20
βπ’πžπœπ¨π§π π–π’π§πβž ― In a world taken over by walkers, ten-year-old Elodie fights to survive each day. But she's not just any survivor-she's a g...
2.1K 209 22
Death is a universal, unavoidable fate that awaits the entire human species. While it does sound morbid, it also gives us a sense of connection to th...