The Exquisite Corpse, a deadl...

By Gadralneure

Two influential Art Critics and a prominent Gallery owner make a bet that they can make an unknown artist fam... More

Prologue
New York, 6:15 PM, March 25
A beautiful body perishes, but a work of art dies not.― Leonardo da Vinci
New York, 9:30 PM, March 26
It is only when we are no longer fearful that we begin to create.― Turner
New York, 10:15 AM, March 28
Art is a line around your thoughts.― Gustav Klimt
New York, 9 AM, April 4
There is no must in art because art is free.― Wassily Kandinsky
New York/Siler City, 2PM, April 6th,
A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.― Paul Cezanne
New York/Siler City, 1:30PM, April 8th
Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working.― Pablo Picasso
Siler City, April 9th, 7AM
I paint flowers so they will not die.― Frida Kahlo
Painting is just another way of keeping a diary.― Pablo Picasso
Siler City/New York, 12 PM, April 23
In the mind of every artist there is a masterpiece.― Kai Greene
April 28th, New York, 10Pm
A true masterpiece does not tell everything.― Albert Camus
May 15th, New York, 9AM
The principles of true art is not to portray, but to evoke - Jerzy Kosinski
May 20th, Siler City/New York, 3PM
Creativity takes courage - Henri Matisse
June 19th, New York, 5PM
I shut my eyes in order to see. - Paul Gauguin
Charlotte/New York, July 5th, 2PM
Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art.―Leonardo da Vinci
Siler City/New York, August 14th, 7AM
Every act of creation is first an act of destruction-Pablo Picasso
New York, December 14th, 11AM
Every moment is a fresh begining - T.S. Eliot

New York, 10Am, April 17

20 6 15
By Gadralneure

Wilson opened his eyes to the relentless brilliance of morning. It had been a night of overindulgence and mild debauchery. The price was now being paid. His head throbbed and his muscles ached. At least he didn't have to suffer alone, as a groan filled the bedroom. He looked to his side and managed a smile. Bertram lay curled in a fetal position with his head resting on Wilson's chest. The older man stirred and looked up into the young artist's eyes.

"Bloody hell, Willy, it's so fucking bright in here! I don't remember a damn thing."

"We must have had a good time then. Less alcohol next time I think." Wilson offered.

"Fair enough," Bertram chuckled, "I don't believe it would be possible to consume more. Damn, it's times like these I wish I had a man-servant to bring me breakfast so I wouldn't have to get out of bed."

"I'll play man-servant, Bertie. Give me a minute to rejoin the living and I'll rustle up some omelets for us."

"Bless you, my boy," Bertram sat up, "I can't remember the last time you overindulged like you did last night. Is there anything I should be worried about?"

"Just blowing off some steam. I've been pretty focused on Jager."

"You do seem to be overdoing it a bit. Have you had any time for your own work."

Wilson sighed loudly, "I haven't been able to start a new piece in months. Brick wall. I think this change of focus will do me good. The money I might make is good motivation too."

Bertram put on a concerned look, "Willy, you don't need to worry about money, you know that."

"I appreciate all that you do for me. I know I can only afford my rent because you pretty much pay for half of it, but it makes me feel like a failure. If this bet works out, I stand to make in the six figures, not to mention other artists that might want me to represent them if I'm successful."

Bertram gave Wilson a gentle kiss, "Listen to you, my budding capitalist. I just don't want you to abandon your art."

"Don't worry Bertie, I just consider myself on sabbatical. It'll be good for me. Now, how about that breakfast? The opening at the Armory is only a few hours away and we both need to be presentable."

"Omelets and coffee sounds excellent. I'll wait here till my limbs function again. These bones need time at my age."

Wilson got up and put on a bathrobe. He looked at Bertram and laughed before heading to the kitchen.
"You got it, old man."

"Be so good as to go fuck yourself, young man!"

Devon was enjoying his lunch with Elaine despite the sunburn he'd acquired on his trip to Miami.
"Fucking Florida, what a waste of swamp. Nothing but old Jews, angry Cubans, and crazy white people."

Elaine laughed brightly, "Poor, dear Devon. That's what you get for leaving the city."

"It's not like I had a choice," he protested, "My magazine sends me, I go. In any case, I'm here now. From what you told me, the bet is going full speed ahead. I can't wait to speak with Bertram tonight. Are you going to the opening?"

"I wouldn't miss it."

A smile crept onto Devon's face, "Will maestro Ezra be joining you?"

Elaine slapped Devon's hand, "Fuck you... and yes, he will. I hate to say this, but I actually like him... I mean really like him. It's so embarrassing."

"Well, I say good for you, darling. Enjoy it while it lasts. Lord knows nobody wants me. All the ladies think I'm gay and all the boys hope I'm not."

"Stop feeling sorry for yourself. You're way too selfish to fall in love anyway. You're in a love affair with yourself and you make a lovely couple."

Devon laughed loudly, "I suppose you're right. It certainly makes dates cheaper. Most people are such bores... present company excluded, of course."

"Of course," Elaine agreed, raising her glass in a toast, "here's to all the little people who don't have the sense to appreciate us."

"I'll drink to that! And to our bet... may it continue to be entertaining!"

They clinked glasses and sipped their champagne mimosas.

Elaine and Ezra arrived at the Armory opening fairly early and were soon joined by Devon. It was a famous venue, built in 1906 as headquarters of the 69th infantry regiment. The three story building hosted many events, from art exhibits to the Victoria Secret Fashion show. Perhaps its single most famous exhibit was in 1913 when it first presented modern art to America, introducing artists such as Picasso, Van Gogh, Duchamp, and Matisse to the general public for the first time. Because of this storied history, it was a coveted location for artists and its shows were attended by the powerful and wealthy.

There were at least a hundred invited guests present. Elaine scanned the room, her gaze settling on two couples speaking to each other. They were extremely well dressed and had that air of 'fuck everyone else' arrogance exuding from them. She pointed them out to Devon and Ezra.
"Look there children, if it isn't the Fisks and the Howes. There must be blood available at the bar."

Bartholomew Fisk was as rich as they come and his family had been so for three hundred years when they first became slave traders, branching out to supplying weapons to anyone, and now as the controlling interest in several pharmaceutical firms. His much younger wife, Daisy, was a former Miss New York who rarely spoke out of embarrassment for her Brooklyn accent.

The Howes on the other hand were comparatively nouveaux riches, having only amassed their fortune in real estate over the last eighty years. They were slum lords supreme, feasting off the toil of each new wave of immigrants to the tri-state area. Charleston Howe was a grim looking man and his wife, Charity, was a Bryn Mawr graduate and former debutante who loved nothing more than complaining about the greed of the poor.

"Wealthy parasites," Devon offered.

Ezra chuckled, "Maybe, but they both make healthy donations to the symphony. If it wasn't for 'parasites' like them, I'd be fiddling the blues in subway stations for change."

"Not to mention that people like them keep your gallery profitable," Devon offered.

"I suppose that makes me a parasite feeding on parasites," Elaine said lightly, "I can live with that."

Devon pointed to the entrance, "It appears that Bertram and master Wilson have arrived." He waved at his friends and the two men quickly joined the group.

"Greetings, fellow pilgrims ," Bertram said brightly, "I thought I'd have a few champagnes before viewing the art for my reviews."

"That's fine," Devon offered, "We were just being bitchy about the guests."

"Anyone in particular?" Wilson asked.

"The Howes and Fisks."

"Really?" Bertram said, "This might play well into my strategy. I have a history with them... advised both families on a number of purchases. I think Wilson and I need to say hello."

"How do we sell Jager if he isn't even here at the opening?" Wilson asked.

"Oh ye of little faith," Bertram said cheerfully, "I have a wonderful idea. Wilson, just play along and don't say anything important."

"Sadly, my forte," he answered.

The critic turned to his friends, "We'll be back shortly, watch a master at work."

"Mister Fisk, Mister Howe, I'm delighted to see you again," Bertram said thrusting out his hand.

"Ah, Bertram," Howe said shaking his hand, "are you here as a spectator or is it on a professional level?"

"I am reviewing the show. Lots of intriguing work." Bertram motioned to Wilson, "This is Wilson Briggs, a talented artist in his own right."

Howe ignored the young artist, "So, anything special here? Any up and comers?"

"Yes," Fisk chimed in, "anyone worth watching?"

Bertram paused, trying not to smile, "I'm quite drawn to this Siegfried Jager. I don't know much about him, he's a bit of a mystery."

Charity chimed in, "Is he here?"

"No, my understanding is that he's still in treatment, though I've heard he's coming to New York soon."

"Treatment?" Charity asked, "Is he an alcoholic or...", she lowered her voice to a conspiratorial whisper, "a druggie?"

"Oh no," Bertram said in an equally low tone, "my understanding is that it's of a psychological nature. He checked himself in."

"To the nuthouse?" Fisk asked.

"That's a bit harsh, but definitely a mental facility. I hope he's not suicidal, his work is quite extraordinary."

"Yes, yes, most interesting." Howe offered.

Bertram waited a moment, "In any case, it's great seeing you folks again, I need to get to work before I drink too much."

Howe chuckled, "Of course. We'll talk soon."

Bertram left and Wilson followed, looking confused.

"What was that all about Bertie?"

"Rich assholes like that love nothing more than sharing gossip with their other rich asshole friends. By this time next week, half of the upper class in New York will know about Jager."

"But you told him he was in a mental facility."

"I did," Bertram smiled broadly, "because another thing they can't resist is a tortured, possibly suicidal, crazy artist. He'll be the talk of all the collectors in no time."

Wilson laughed loudly and clapped Bertram on the back, "You are a fucking evil genius. Devon and Elaine are going to love this."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

I Am No Angel By Anonymous

Mystery / Thriller

483 131 34
Three years in an abusive relationship, just for Julia to move in right next to a seral killer, Norman. Talk about bad luck. Especially when she star...
183 23 16
A vengeful soul killing the people around Patt Holmes whom has to find the clues to stop this madness.
RIPPER By Jem Cole

Mystery / Thriller

260 3 16
Nine High School Students are doing their project in researching "Famous Serial Killer" And they chose "Jack the Ripper" because of his fascinating w...
199 6 14
A compilation of haunting short stories meant to send shivers down your spine. A mix of ghosts, vampires, killers, and the unknown to get your heart...