Bridgerton Imagines

By dandelionandburdock

A collection of my Bridgerton fics from my Tumblr @iliveiloveiwrite Characters featured: Anthony Bridgerton B... More

Characters!
make me be true, make me be blue // A.B.
I wonder what it's like to be loved by you // B.B.
I find myself travelling back to you // S.B.
A Truth Universally Acknowledged // A.B.
An Artist's Eye // B.B.
Moments We Knew // C.B.
A La Claire Fontaine // S.B. [drabble]
Once In A While // A.B. [BLURB]
Spare Me A Moment? // B.B.
Flash of Mauve, Splash of Puce // C.B.
The Heart Wants What It Wants // A.B. [BLURB]
Start Again // B.B. [BLURB]
Moments of Affection // C.B.
To Wait For You // A.B. [BLURB]
Family Ties // B.B.
to sketch; to touch // B.B. [BLURB]
winged cupid painted blind // A.B.
Runaway Bride // B.B. [BLURB]
baby, baby, sweet baby // A.B.
Letters of Excuse // B.B. [BLURB]
Fallin' For You // A.B.
Large Shirts and Breeches // B.B. [BLURB]
Card Games and Cocktails // A.B.
Questions and Worries // B.B. [BLURB]
Pain in my Heart // B.B.
Meeting the Family // A.B.
Home // C.B. [BLURB]
Early Morning Cuddles // A.B. [BLURB]
Gothic Smiles // B.B. [BLURB]
Champagne Kisses // A.B. [BLURB - SMUT]
Time // B.B. [BLURB]
It's All For You // C.B. [BLURB]
Lessons Learned // A.B. [BLURB - smut]
Sketches and Smiles // B.B [BLURB]
Gretna Green // A.B. (Part 1)
this and the next // B.B.
The Rain // C.B
at the end of the day // A.B.
Amongst the Roses // C.B. [blurb]
A Necklace of Pearls // B.B. [blurb]
kiss me once, then kiss me twice, then kiss me once again // A.B. [ blurb]
Smoke and Flames // A.B.
How Its Made // B.B.
Game Night // B.B.
Days with Love // A.B.
Stormy Nights and Warm Beds // B.B.
Love and Tea // B.B
Baby Makes Three // C.B. [pregnancy]

travel books and romance novels // C.B.

10.4K 114 5
By dandelionandburdock

Summary: Colin visits the library for research into his next trip; he didn't expect to find you

Pairing: Colin Bridgerton x Fem!Reader

Warnings: Colin is very cute, pining, mutual pining, strangers to friends to lovers, female reader, she/her pronouns, marriage proposal, happy ending.

Word count: 4k

-----------

Colin Bridgerton had spent over two decades of his life on this planet and had yet to find something or someone he loves more than travelling. The bug first bit him in his early twenties; desperate to experience a Grand Tour – a tradition of which that had strongly died out in the past century. He had read about it so often; dreamed of it nearly every day that eventually he put the idea forward to Anthony and his mother, Violet.

Though Violet was apprehensive at first, she warmed up to the idea once Colin gave her permission to choose some of the countries he would visit. Anthony held no qualms; having travelled to France and Spain before tragedy forced the family title upon his shoulders. Being able to travel would forge Colin into the man he should be; it would give him experience, and plenty of stories to tell his children and then eventually, their children.

Upon arriving back in London after his second trip away, Colin found himself glad to be home. He had sorely missed the sounds and smells that accompany London; the clipping of horses hooves and the constant chit-chat of men and women. It was home; it would always be home.

However, as he stepped off the boat or the train, Colin always wondered the same thing. How long would it be until he craved adventure once more?

-----

A month.

Colin lasted a month in the company of his beloved family before he was desperate to head off on his next adventure. However, he had no clear destination in mind. He had visited Europe, toured the Mediterranean and had hopes of crossing the Atlantic one day soon, but for now - to save his mother's poor nerves - was content to remain closer to home.

He wasn't one to visit libraries himself, usually sending a list of books with a servant whenever they visited the place, but this time he fancied the walk to stretch his legs. He had decided that research was the best way forward into finding his next destination, his next adventure. The library could offer such a thing.

It truly was a thing of wonder; so many books and serial publications at home in one place. The library at Bridgerton House was well stocked and Colin knew he could walk in freely and take whatever he would need, but there was something attractive about going out to find exactly what you need. There was also the added bonus of a lack of interrogation from his much-loved mother.

A huff leaves his body as Colin is pitched forward; barely catching himself before knocking into one of the shelves. Turning, Colin readies the words he wants to fling at the person who had yet they die in his throat when he finds you standing behind him with an apologetic look on your face, close to tears.

"Mr. Bridgerton!" You gasp, bowing your head politely and in apology, "I hadn't meant to walk into you."

Colin smiles, brushing down his suit jacket, "It's no worry, Miss (Y/L/N). No harm done."

"I hope not," You reply, biting your lip.

His smile grows wider at the note of concern in your voice. "Truly, Miss (Y/L/N), no harm done."

"Nevertheless, I apologise."

"What are you reading?" He asks, nodding at the two books in your hand, changing the subject.

"They're romances," You admit shyly, "I read to my aunt twice a week. She rather enjoys them."

"And you? Do you enjoy them?"

"There are some that I enjoy, yes, but I prefer books with adventures if I'm being honest."

"Adventures?"

You nod, "I like them very much. What do you read?"

Colin frowns; confused at the question. You gesture to the shelves of books surrounding you, "What do you like to read, Mr. Bridgerton? We are in a library after all."

"Non-fiction," He replies, nodding his head to the stack dedicated to true life accounts of travellers. "I'm here doing research."

"Research?"

"For where I want to travel to next," Colin clarifies; walking towards the stack, all the while knowing you're following.

"Have you an idea?"

He shakes his head; disappointed at the admission. For his last two trips abroad, he had known exactly where he wanted to go and what he wanted to do and see. Now, however, he was struggling for ideas.

You nod your head; seemingly understanding the predicament Colin has found himself in. Holding close the hardcover editions of the romances your aunt loved so much, you take a step back from the third eldest Bridgerton.

"I hope you find your location soon, Mr. Bridgerton," You murmur in farewell, turning away from the tall brunette.

"I hope you enjoy your romances," Colin replies, watching you walk away. Fleetingly, he wonders if he will see you again.

------

The library remains just as silent as the last time Colin visited. The books he had borrowed heavy in his hands as he returns them to the attendant who nods in thanks. Distantly, he wonder whether he will run into you again. Since meeting you last, he hadn't stopped thinking about you.

Colin barely knew you or your family; didn't know much about your lineage or even whether you knew of his, yet he had not stopped thinking about you and the way you held your books so close to your chest, as if protective of them and what they held even if you didn't own them. He couldn't explain the urge he had to get to know you. Colin felt certain that if he wasn't to see you in the next day or so he was to go mad from the unknown.

Luckily for his sanity, he spies a familiar head of hair amongst the shelves, and he cannot help the surge of happiness that runs through him when he recognises you reading the spines of the books. "Miss (Y/L/N)!" Colin calls out in greeting; rushing over to you.

"Mr. Bridgerton," You smile, "How have you been? Have you decided on your next destination?"

"I have not though I'll think of something soon."

"I look forward to finding out. I'm sure Lady Whistledown will report on it."

"I'm sure she will," He drawls; his contempt for the author of the gossip sheet well known amongst family and friends. "How did the romances go down with your aunt? Did she enjoy them?"

Nodding your head, you explain, "Very much so. She usually stays awake for a chapter or two before falling asleep, but this time she stayed awake for close to five. I'm here looking for more books by the same author."

"Would you like some help?"

"Only if you aren't too busy. I wouldn't want to pull you away from something more important."

Colin shakes his head. "I would be happy to help."

It takes the better part of an hour. Colin proving to be a distraction to your thoughts as you trawl through the shelves in the library. His very presence throws your mind into overdrive; overthinking his intentions for helping you, but also noticing just how handsome he truly is.

"I think we have enough for now," You eventually comment, finding it hard to keep the sadness out of your voice as you realise that your time with the Bridgerton is up.

"Are three books enough?" Colin asks warily, as if he doesn't want the time spent together to end either.

Sighing, you nod, "It's enough to keep her occupied for a while. It takes us a few weeks to get through one book with me visiting her only twice a week."

Colin nods understandingly, "Then the other romance novels must be for you."

You raise an eyebrow, "I much prefer adventure novels though I did tell you that the first time we had met. Though I suppose I didn't make that much of an impression."

"I can assure you; you did. I just couldn't help but notice that you must read far quicker than your aunt so surely you must read the other books you have borrowed."

Caught out, you avert your gaze back to the books in your hand. Colin tries not to smile in triumph but fails miserably. "How often do you come here?" Colin asks, "Do you borrow books for your aunt alone, or do you read to another relative?"

Pursing your lips, you think over your answer. "I only read to my aunt and I suppose I come here at least once a week, usually on a Wednesday."

Colin nods, "I shall see you next Wednesday then."

Watching the Bridgerton walk away from you, you cannot help but wonder what exactly you had gotten yourself into.

----------

The friendship that develops with Colin Bridgerton felt entirely natural; as if at some point in your lives your paths were always meant to cross, and a friendship was to begin. Colin finds you in and amongst the stacks of books the following week; a triumphant grin on his lips and his eyes bright with happiness when he finds you once again in the romance aisle.

He starts to offer you suggestions of books to read, meeting you at the library week after week; all the whole continuing his research into where he wants to travel next. He hasn't settled on a destination, yet he comes to realise that this is the longest he has remained in London in years. Usually, Colin would return home, manage a month with his family before taking off again. A routine his mother has come to despise despite offering her blessing for every trip.

Weeks continue to pass and whilst his family know that Colin has become infatuated with someone, he isn't ready to share you with them yet. He isn't ready for the inspecting glances and interrogations from his mother, brothers, and sisters. For now, Colin was more than content to share you with the romance books you swear you don't love as much as you truly do.

---------

The café is busy and getting busier from a lunch rush when Colin sits down across from you. His hair remains a mess despite how often he runs his hands through it in an attempt to flatten it; his eyes are bright as he smiles widely at you.

"I thought you were going to be late," You admonish, but there's no heat behind it.

Colin takes a sip of his tea, "I could never be late, not for you."

"You're a flatterer."

"And you're a romance fan, no matter how many times you try to deny it. Tell me, what are you reading right now?"

You purse your lips, deciding whether to relay the information to him, but the longer you wait, the larger his smile gets. "Definitely not those novels," You comment, "There is romance in my latest book, but I am reading it for the adventure. It has pirates if you must know, very adventurous."

Colin laughs, reaching for one of the small cakes on the stand.

"I don't know how I stand your company," You complain, trying your best to calm your stomach long enough for you to enjoy the food on your plate. The butterflies raging there were making it rather hard.

"You like me, that's why."

"I suppose that is more judgement on me than it is you."

Colin's only answer is to wink before returning his attention to the food on his plate. For a while, it is silent between the two of you. happy smiles are exchanged between you both and quiet laughter when you both reach for the same cake; Colin, ever so gracious, lets you have the cake. Instead, he tops up his tea and then yours from the teapot.

"I would like to visit Russia next; I think – St. Petersburg," Colin declares, breaking the silence once and for all.

"Truly? You would travel so far?" You ask, eyes wandering to the globe on the table in the corner of the room, a display item. Centred on England, Russia could not be seen for the distance between them.

"I'd travel to all four corners of the earth if I could," Colin admits, voice honest.

You sit back in your chair, eyes wide with wonder at the prospect of travelling even outside the county without a chaperone. "I'd love to travel."

"It is a marvel," Colin smiles, thinking back to his trips through Europe and the Mediterranean.

"The only chance I'll get to travel is on my honeymoon which will be a marvel in itself," You reply, picking at an invisible thread on your skirts.

"Why?"

You sigh, "Mother doesn't hold much hope for my marrying. She believes that I have been out for too many seasons and have nothing left to offer that could possibly entice a man into courting me, never mind proposing."

Colin finds himself gripping the arm of his chair in an attempt to keep his anger at bay. Such words leaving your mouth should be a crime. You have plenty to offer. However, at the sight of your slumped shoulders and sad eyes, Colin realises that you believe the words of your mother; that you truly have nothing left to offer.

On a whim, Colin asks, "Are you attending the Duchess of Hasting's ball tonight?"

Shaking your head, you explain, "Mother isn't one for huge events no matter the title of its holder."

Colin surges forward, grasping your gloved hand, "Come, please. My sister won't mind. I'll have her add you to the guest list and send a carriage for you."

You remain silent as you think over his proposition, ready to turn him down and return to your life of safety but the determination in his eyes and the joy in his smile leaves you nodding your head instead.

"Alright," You agree, "I shall wait for you carriage."

----------

The London home of the Duke and Duchess of Hastings could only be described as grand. Candles line the way to courtyard in which the ball would be held; they provide a romantic atmosphere, providing many a dark corner where young couples could sneak away from their chaperones.

Upon your announcement, you find yourself walking through the large crowd of people, unwittingly searching for the familiar head of brown hair. He finds you first, however, smiling widely as he notices you in the crowd.

Colin excuses himself from his conversation; making his way over to you as fast as he can without bringing too much attention to himself.

"You came," Colin breathes as if in disbelief that you stand before him. His eyes run over you; taking it all in as his heart races. He hasn't felt like this before; he hasn't ever known anyone to make him feel like this. Colin feels as if he wants to show you everything, introduce you to everyone, but also keep you for himself should anyone want to steal you away.

"I said I would," You smile, heated from his attention.

"You look beautiful," Colin states truthfully.

"Thank you," You answer, "You look very handsome too."

"Would you care to dance?" Colin asks, a hand outstretched and waiting.

Smiling, you nod your acceptance. You take his offered hand, letting him leads you to the dancefloor where many other couples are readying themselves for the opening notes of the dance. Out of the corner of your eye, you spy Anthony's eldest brother getting ready to dance with his wife, Kate. He offers Colin a smile and a nod to which Colin's shoulders relax somewhat. You raise an eyebrow at the brunette only for Colin to shake his head; nothing you need to worry about.

Colin's hands find themselves in the correct position son your body as you reach for his free hand, resting your hand on his shoulder. The music soon starts up and Colin begins to lead you round the dancefloor in a flurry of spins that leaves you giggling. His face lights up at the sound of your laughter, soon finding himself joining in.

"Stay for one more dance?" He asks as the music dies and you pull away, desperate not to let go of you just yet, happy enough right now to feel your hand in his and your body pressed so close.

"I'd love to," You answer honestly, letting yourself be pulled back to the dancefloor where Colins hands soon start to feel like home on your body.

By the end of the second dance, you begin to feel dizzy from the spinning. Smiling gratefully at Colin, you apologise for having to bow out. He dismisses your apology with a wave of his hand, "Shall we get a drink? I'm sure I saw some lemonade not too long ago."

"Lemonade sounds perfect. I seem to have worked up quite a thirst."

"Then by all means," Colin declares, bowing dramatically at the waist, "We must get the lady a drink."

Laughing softly, you follow Colin to the drinks table where he hands you a small glass of the cold drink. He goes to take a drink from his own glass but is distracted by his mother calling his name. Colin apologises before leaving you in the company of his sisters, Eloise and Hyacinth.

"Good evening, mother," Colin greets, dropping his head to kiss her on her cheek.

"Two dances in a row?" She asks as greeting, curious to know just who has distracted her son in this manner.

Colin ducks his head; not ashamed to have been caught out in his feelings, but ashamed that he hasn't introduced you to his family as of yet. Across the room, despite the music, he hears your laughter. His attention rests on you as he watches you laugh at something said by either Eloise or Hyacinth. Your smile is wide as you try to cover it with your hand; trying to be polite but neither sister care that much as they continue to make you laugh.

You're beautiful, he realises. He's known it all along, of course, but with that smile on your face, Colin cannot help but desire to be the one who brings such a smile to life. He wants to be the cause of your smiles and your laughter; the reasons why your eyes crinkle in the corner. He wants it all; he wants it with you.

"I think you know why you haven't set off on another adventure," Violet states pointedly; eyes dancing between her son and where you stand, talking to Eloise and Hyacinth. A mother always knows.

Colin's eyes don't need to follow his mother's; they had been on you since you excused yourself from him. He's finally ready to confront what he had known along. "I think I know too. Do you approve?" He asks; realising he sounds like a child desperate for his mother's attention.

Violet Bridgerton smiles, brushing Colin's cheek softly with a gloved hand. "I think you suit each other perfectly."

The smile that breaks over Colin's face could only be described as blinding as he takes his mother's hand from his face, kissing the back of it before leaning in to kiss her cheek. Against her cheek, he whispers, "Thank you, mother."

Violet nods, eyes lined with tears as she watches her third eldest son walk away from her. She would be the first to admit how well suited you both are; the need for adventure alive in the both of you. She shakes her head fondly as she watches her son make his way over to you; holding out his hand, asking you to dance to which you graciously accept.

Violet begins to walk the outskirts of the ballroom; feeling nothing but pride and happiness for each one of her children and elated in the knowledge that there was soon to be another marriage in the Bridgerton household.

---------

The morning after the ball is a pleasant one. The weather wonderfully warm as the sun shines through the windows; heating the drawing room pleasantly. Turning your face, you take in the rays, careful not to risk too much exposure.

Your latest read remains open on your lap as you continue to bask in the warmth of the sun. So far, the book has captured your attention and has failed to let it go. The heroine of the novel too relatable personality wise for you to take a break long enough. At this point in the novel, she had offered an ultimatum to her suitor – he can join her on her next escapade, or he can find another woman to marry. You could only hope he would join her in her next adventure; their comradery was too perfect to end so suddenly.

However, after the events of last night, you found it hard to focus on the book long enough to turn the page. Instead, you found yourself reading the same line over and over again, desperately trying to lose yourself in the witty prose of the author.

But your mind focused on last night: the music, the dancing, the company. It had been a dream; it felt like a dream – only your mind could cook something up so perfect, yet deep down you knew you had experienced every second. You were certain you were still dizzy from the spins you had taken when dancing with Colin.

Biting your lip, you think back to the three dances you had shared with the third eldest Bridgerton. Three dances – could it be true? Shaking your head, you answer your own question. It was true; you remember every moment with crystal clarity. Three dances with Colin had to mean something; it had to mean he felt something for you. Your heart begins to race as you think of the possibilities

"Miss," Your Butler states, interrupting your daydreaming, "A Mr. Colin Bridgerton is here to call on you."

"Show him in," You answer, standing from your window seat, brushing down the skirts of you dress. Biting your lip, you could only hope that you looked presentable.

"(Y/N)," Colin greets as he enters the room, a large smile on his face. A bouquet of red roses and lady's breath in his hand that he offers to you.

"They're beautiful, Colin. Thank you," You whisper, eyes darting around the room for a vase. They would be put in there after Colin had left.

"I'm glad you think so."

"What did I do to deserve flowers though?" You ask, a teasing note in your voice.

Colin smiles, "I know where I want to travel to next. I came to tell you."

A pang of disappointment rushes through your body soon followed by upset. Placing the flowers on the nearest table, you do what you can to avoid his gaze as you ask, "When do you leave?"

"That's the thing," He starts, shifting nervously, "I have something to ask of you before."

"What?"

"Travel with me. Come with me," He all but pleads, reaching for your hand, "As my wife."

Your eyes widen as Colin's grip on your hand tightens. "What?" You question, breath coming in a hurry. "What are you asking me, Colin?"

"I'm asking you to marry me so we can travel together. I've seen the world once; I want to see it again with you."

"I have to admit this isn't what I expected today," You ramble, trying your best to not look into his eyes. The moment you do, you're done for.

"(Y/N)..." Colin interrupts, cutting off your nervous rambling. "I need to know an answer, love."

It's only then that you let yourself look into his blue eyes; reading the emotions written over his face. He was promising you adventure; the likes of which you had only read in books. Colin was promising you a future full of love and laughter; a dream you had hoped for since you were a young child.

Suddenly, as you look into his blue, blue eyes, it's all clear.

"Yes," You whisper, somewhat breathless but entirely ready to begin your future with the man in front of you, "Let's see the world together."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

649K 14.2K 37
Olivia Borough (17) is Lady Bridgerton's niece who got abandoned after her mother passed away. Now that her father has died too, there is no other op...
5.5K 177 12
"My heart ached for her when she wasn't near, but it skipped a beat when I saw her." It is Elizabeth Johnston's second debutante, she finds it press...
159K 3.9K 19
𝓔𝓿𝓮𝓻𝔂 𝓶𝓸𝓻𝓷𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓘 𝔀𝓪𝓴𝓮 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓘 𝓪𝓶 𝓮𝔁𝓬𝓲𝓽𝓮𝓭 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓭𝓪𝔂 𝓪𝓱𝓮𝓪𝓭 𝓽𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓘 𝓰𝓮𝓽 𝓽𝓸 𝓼𝓹𝓮𝓷𝓭 𝔀𝓲𝓽𝓱 𝓱𝓲�...
78.9K 2.3K 9
{CURRENTLY REWRITING} ▬▬ GUNS AND ROSES. ❝ people do understand the language of the heart, you know, even if the head does not always comprehend it...