Not a Bestseller

By TBHughes

Ben never wanted to write a book. Being autistic, troubled, and the fourth child? It just doesn't sound like... More

Quick Note From the Author
A Letter from Dr. White
Hello
I Was Thirsty
The Fat, Angry Man
Oof
My Folks are a Little Angry OR Everything's Ben Taken Care Of
Test...One...Two Testing, Testing
Doom in the Form of a Dude and Julia White
Timber Tantrum
Judge a Book By Its Cover
Timber Tantrum: Part 2
Timber Tantrum Part 3: Logic Strikes Back
Some Titles Don't Make Sense
I Join the Biggest Group of Losers in History
Surprise!
Awkward Silences
Someone's Tiny Person Goes Berserk
Salt Water
The Chapter You Have to Read Before You Can Get to the Good Stuff
Lull-Life Again
Peer Pressure
Something Good Finally Happens, and I Blow It
Busted and Bruised and Bare (and Bipolar)
The Mr. Hyde of Julia White
Memory...All Alone in the Library
Sherlock
All Talk and No Explanations
Freak of the Misfits
Spontaneous Sounds and Movements of the Face and Body...
Brain Freeze
Epiphany
Short and Not Sweet
Now What???
Honesty is Never a Good Policy for Me. Here's Why.
I'd Skip this Chapter. I'm Kind of a Downer.
Now or Never
School dances are so stupid
Key Knowledge Is...Well...Key
One
Deals are Made to Be Broken
Now, Never, or Forever
Submission
Maturity
Goodbye
A Message from the Future: Caution, the Book Ends Here
Happily Ever After
Past, Present, and Future; Mostly Present
Closing Letter
Now Available on Kindle and Paperback!
Now Selling Merch!

Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones, but Words Will Always Hurt Me

9 3 0
By TBHughes

Climax. I said I didn't want one. My life shouldn't be that interesting. They asked me what happened. It comes in little splashes of red paint. Every day another part clicks, snaps, and falls into place again, like an unsolved Rubik's cube with its stickers missing.

My joints were frozen leftovers. 

My brother. 

Here. 

If you forgot what Kyle looks like, sucks to be you. With my hair chopped off, I looked a lot more like him.

His eyes were axes. When they found me, the blades sharpened.

My head thumped.

"Ben," Mom's pumps clunked on the hard-wood floor. "Close the door or you're going to let all the bugaaaaaa-iiiiiiiit's yooooour brotherrr...hi Kyle..."

He let the door close on the hinge.

"Kyle?" Dad was getting up to speed. He paused several feet away, safe from firing range. "What are you-"

"Nice to see you too, Dad."

His words cut into the air like a dull chainsaw. I really felt it too. I was still glued frozen over by the door.

"Ben?" He spoke over his shoulder. "Pack up your stuff. We're leaving."

Everything about him was so disheveled, like he'd been possessed. His breaths came as a pant, his muscles bulged out of his arms... Had he signed as a ninja warrior?

Mom rested her hand on his shoulder. "Kyle, what are you-"

He shoved her off. 

"What is this about?" Dad said.

"Years of neglect. Look, Ben does school online. I've been talking to our...dean. He said Ben can stay with me in the dorm. He's not staying here anymore. You guys obviously don't care about him."

Gravity yanked my knees to the floor. The scene played out too fast to grab and stop.

Mom: Kyle-

Kyle (pulling at hair): SUE ME! I don't care. But I'm not going to stand by anymore and let the kid be miserable.

Dad: Son, he's improved. He's happy now. Ben-

Scoffing Kyle: Right. Happy.

Mom (mascara running): He is, though. You haven't been here. You have no idea how much he's changed. We can actually talk to him and I feel like...we have him back. I only wish he'd been this happy sooner.

The screenplay flew at mega speed. There were shouts. Kyle. Then Dad. Kyle knew what was best. Dad knew Kyle and he knew me. Mom snatched a tissue box. It was like the Olympics if they hadn't been canceled during the world wars.

Kyle: You're just controlling him. That doesn't make him better and it doesn't make him happy! It didn't work for me, and it's not going to work for him.

Dad: But it is working. You were in a completely different situation.

Kyle: It's not like you've changed. Let's face it. We were never good enough for you. Now we can both just be out of your way. He would be happier with me. It's what he's always wanted.

"YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT I WANT!" 

I clenched my hands over my mouth. I should've come out of my spot in front of the door, but I couldn't move. My knees were drilled into the floor. The gunfire had come from my trench, and I was shell-shocked.

It was amazing how easy it was for them to forget I was here.

Dad peered towards the door. "Ben? Would you care to join us?"

He pulled me up to my feet. One step at a time, I trailed his shadow until I was face to face with my brother. Kyle was beet-red, hair like a sweaty porcupine. I hadn't seen him like this since he was sixteen. 

He paused, "Ben...I, um...I wanted to talk to you."

"Looks like it."

A trickle of sweat slipped down his brow. "I know about what's been going on, okay?"

With Julia? How the huckleberry...

"There's this really great boarding school just across from campus. You and I, we've always stuck out for each other, right? I know I let you down when I left, but, we can do that again. I've-"

"I'm seventeen years old, Kyle! I'm not... I don't need you to protect me."

He staggered. I'd wounded him, but nothing critical. Regret fled through me as I watched the ray of emotions. He glanced at our parents, shock transformed into hatred. A brick in his jaw, he charged towards me until I saw nothing but dysfunctional eyes clouded with poison.

His words shot an arrow through my head. "You can take care of yourself, huh?"

My head was on a string of hot iron.

"Don't screw around with me, Ben. You know what this is about." Kyle dug a newspaper out of his bag and stuck his finger at the front page. "Don't play dumb with me here!"

I jumped when Dad snatched the paper out of Kyle's hands. He paced like some sort of mad scientist, and I'm surprised he didn't wear a hole through the floor. The perfect kingdom behind his face dissolved into nothing.

"Look, this is what brought me here in the first place," Kyle said. "I didn't realize how bad it was until now."

"What are you talking about?" I hardly heard myself.

Dad bit his lip, but Kyle shoved it on me. The word "misdemeanor" was in bold. On the cover was a boy. Dark brown hair mopped his forehead, black in the lights, and his brown eyes were gold in the morning sun. I cringed at the pocket survival knife in his left hand. In the background? An old and broken fountain, hiding in what resembled an alley.

I glanced at the headline.

Benjamin Wood, Juvenile Delinquent, Suicidal?

I'm running out of ways to say my head hurt. 

"A reporter showed up at my door asking me if I knew anything about it," Kyle said. "Threw this at me and said it would be on the front of every site on the web soon. I wanted to get him out of here before it was too late."

"Ben," Dad said. "Can...you explain this?"

Dad trusted me to tell him the truth. He actually trusted me to do the right thing.

With a laugh I knew couldn't be humorous, Kyle raised his brow towards the rim of his forehead. He didn't think I could do it. Why would he? How would he know that the last three months of my life have consisted of constant communication about anything you can find in the English dictionary?

A few months ago, he would've been right. I would've run, left him to battle this out with the bullet wound. 

I begged for an emotional breakdown to bring everybody together. I'd been that key that divided my family for seventeen years; maybe I could unite it. But I couldn't. I was the nobody who freezes before dying in a horror film.

"It's not true!" Mom stole the paper. "Ben, tell your brother how much you've improved."

Improved. 

Breaths grabbed my lungs and pulled it into a knot, but I shook my head at a snail's pace. Did Julia...No. It was that reporter, that Nancy Clemmings person from way back when, the one who was supposed to be a minor character. It couldn't be Julia. She wouldn't do that to me.

She couldn't have.

"Ben?"

I looked at my brother. He nodded, confirming everything he thought about me, proving every family label, every misdemeanor, every doctor prescription. I needed to change this. No amount of whining or complaining was going to achieve that. I had to talk to my family to make them understand. I had to be honest.

Here goes nothing.

"I was upset after you'd caught me hiding from therapy." Three sets of eyes found me; I drilled mine through the floor. "So, while I was...locked in my room I...dug through Micah's old survival kit...and I snuck out the window...found a spot by the alley."

"No, no, no, no." Mom's eyeliner touched the bottom of her cheeks. "You...Doctor White told me that he'd invited you to his house that day! You...you..."

My face fell into a half-hearted smile. "He was just covering for me."

Mom ragged her scalp with her fingernails. I'd never seen one hair on her head out of place in my life. She stared into my eyes, dug the truth out. Then she grabbed the wall post and lost it as her body racked over itself.

"But I didn't do it, Mom!"

Dad froze. "You were going to kill yourself."

My pulse was widely out of proportion. "I—I almost—you don't..."

How could I explain my revelation without getting Julia in trouble? Keeping a suicide attempt a secret is an ultimate "no-no" in the therapeutic universe. Guilt hinted at me. How could I give myself all the credit at realizing my stupidity? She was the one who'd saved me that day. I never would've gone back home if she hadn't caught me.

 "Look." I backed towards the front door. "I'm—I'm not the same person I was five months ago. You don't know how bad I was. W-what it's like to feel like everyone would be better off...if you didn't exist." 

Mom choked. I grabbed my next breath. It's hard to think that only a few months ago I wouldn't have cared how she felt.

What a time.

Dad's eyes watered. "I can't believe...how could you—why would you—"

"See?" Kyle said. "You're both so caught up in your own agenda that you miss what's happening right under your noses! If you let him come with me-"

"I'm not done yet," I said. The fresh air called me, the outside world, freedom, more Tylenol. "I didn't go through with it because I realized I wasn't ready to give up yet, and I'm still not! Maybe I have to fight a little harder. But that's okay. You have to trust me. I'm never going to do anything that...stupid again." I turned to my parents and attempted to mouth an apology. My feet staggered towards the door. "I'm not going with Kyle. I'm not going to another doctor. I've found something here. Whatever I do, it will be my choice, because I know that I'm capable of doing the right thing."

 My brain was a swarming beehive. I couldn't believe I'd just said that. It was so corny.

 Neither could they.

 My fist shook at my side, and I clutched it with my other hand. Do you remember what I said about me growing up a lot, but not enough to change everything about me? One conversation doesn't change a lifetime of personality sculpting. Ice is just frozen water. Let me prove my point. 

I needed to get out of this environment. My body physically couldn't do it anymore. Both of my parents were melting ice sculptures. My brain activity? A battle with no winner and a lot of casualties. 

As I whipped the front door open, I didn't see Kyle grab my arm. I felt like a stuffed animal in a claw machine. "Ben, you're not leaving me here with them like this!"

"Get OFF of me!"

I broke loose and bolted out the door. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

165K 11.7K 34
โ€2022 Watty Shortlisterโ€ โ€๐—”๐—ต๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—บ๐—ฏ๐—ถ๐—ฒฬ๐—ป ๐—ฒ๐—ป ๐—˜๐˜€๐—ฝ๐—ฎ๐—ปฬƒ๐—ผ๐—นโ€ Much against his will, River Allen can't drag his gaze away from the new s...
9.4K 232 26
nemesism (n.): frustration, anger, or aggression directed inward toward oneself and one's way of living ~~~~ Spencer Reid has never had it easy. He s...
78.9K 3.2K 30
Cadence leaves an abusive boyfriend after years of abuse. She wants to find love, true love, can't live without you love! Can she make it through the...
201K 12.2K 37
[totally unedited and my first time at writing so I hope you guys bear with the flaws and read if you are going to] "I don't know why, but I tend to...