JUST BEST FRIENDS

By Samfreddy

Have you ever been madly in love with your childhood best friend, but they never loved you the same way? I me... More

CHAPTER 1: THE CHALLENGE.
CHAPTER 2: THE TURN DOWN.
CHAPTER 3: HOPE.
CHAPTER 4: SWEET CANDY.
CHAPTER 5: TRUTH OR DARE.
CHAPTER 6: THE PROMISE.
CHAPTER 7: LISTEN TO THE RADIO.
CHAPTER 8: HEARTBREAK ON A FULL MOON.
CHAPTER 9: THE REQUEST.
CHAPTER 10: ALL THE BEST.
CHAPTER 11: THE WARNING.
CHAPTER 12: THE DISCUSSION.
CHAPTER 13: A BIG MISTAKE.
CHAPTER 14: A SAD LOSS.
CHAPTER 15: A BLOODY NIGHTMARE.
CHAPTER 16: EMOTIONS.
CHAPTER 17: HAKUNA MATATA.
CHAPTER 18: FINAL WARNING.
CHAPTER 19: SUGAR AND SPICE.
CHAPTER 20: SHOTS GONE WRONG.
CHAPTER 21: LOVE IS BLIND.
CHAPTER 22: CHAOS.
CHAPTER 23: REVELATIONS.
CHAPTER 24: WELCOME TO LAGOS, BABY.
CHAPTER 25: LOVE OR LUST?
CHAPTER 26: PROOF.
CHAPTER 27: MAYHEM.
CHAPTER 28: INDECISION.
CHAPTER 29: HEART TO HEART.
CHAPTER 30: MOVING ON.
CHAPTER 31: PEACE OF MIND.
CHAPTER 32: CONSEQUENCES.
CHAPTER 33: COMPLICATIONS.
CHAPTER 34: RECONCILIATION.
CHAPTER 35: A WAKE-UP CALL.
CHAPTER 36: DEEP REGRET.
CHAPTER 37: KARMA STRIKES.
CHAPTER 38: THE BIG NEWS.
CHAPTER 39: A DREAM COME TRUE.
CHAPTER 40: MEMORIES.
CHAPTER 41: HOMICIDE.
CHAPTER 42: GOODBYE.
AUTHOR'S NOTE
BOOK PROMOTION.

CHAPTER 43: RIP.

1.1K 156 48
By Samfreddy

#JUST_BEST_FRIENDS FINAL CHAPTER

Author: Samuel Frederick

CHAPTER 43: RIP.

Three days later. Friday. 9:00 AM.

Ebony Millennium Cemetery, Lagos, Nigeria.

Undoubtedly, today was a sad day for Yomi's loved ones. It was his funeral, and sorrow filled the air of the venue like a thunderstorm. His parents, friends, neighbours and colleagues were all present at the ceremony to honour him, and it wasn't easy for any of them to be here in this cemetery, especially with the sight of Yomi's corpse which laid in a grand casket on a small podium that had a lot of his portraits all over it.

Unlike many African funerals, this occasion was a small and simple one hosted by Yomi's family. He was so close to his parents when he was alive to the point that he felt comfortable talking to them about anything and everything, including spirituality and death, so that was how his funeral plans came about. This was exactly what he wanted. This was exactly what he wished for, as he'd revealed on one of their many discussions.

He loathed big funerals. To him, extravagant funerals were just pointless. He saw them as a charade for people who didn't really care about the main event but the food and the thrills involved, with the exception of the very few who actually and genuinely mourned the deceased, of course.

However, moving on, all dressed in black and sitting on plastic chairs before a small podium was the mourning audience, listening to the pastor's sermon. He preached about the afterlife and why it was important to live a positive life on Earth, a life of fulfillment, a life that pleases God against all odds, and then he rounded off with a short prayer for Yomi's soul, before leaving the stage for anyone who wanted to offer their tribute to Yomi.

First, Yomi's mother went forward, talked, cried her eyes out and left the stage, and then two other people took turns to share their memories too. Finally, Idara stepped out to render her own speech.

Standing on this altar was a lot harder than she thought, not just because she always had stage fright, but because she'd never seen so many sad faces nor witnessed such quietness before in her entire life. She now understood what the phrase ‘as silent as a graveyard’ meant, as she observed the tranquillity of the atmosphere; the way the trees and the lush green, beautiful flowers danced to the rhythm of the travelling wind, the calm and soothing voices of the singing birds, the serene flow of the nearby river, and the pitch-perfect cooperation of the humid weather. She also noted the interlocking paving stones of the paths and the high fences, and the orderliness of the various gravestones, which scared her to death, knowing that Yomi's name would soon be among them.

Left to Idara, she could go on and on surveying the environment — at least to distract her mind from the sad reality for a while — but people were already burning holes in her chest with their terrifying stares, so she grabbed the microphone and exclaimed “Ahem!” into it.

“First off, good morning, everyone.” Her hands trembled as she looked at them, recognizing so many faces in their midst. “It's been three days since my dear best friend passed away, but it still feels like a dream to me, like a horrible nightmare.”

Her gaze fell on Tayo, who stood under a distant oak tree, listening keenly. He supported her with a nod, urging her to go on.

And she did.

“Yomi and I were best of friends since our childhood, and even our parents can testify to that.” Idara glanced at her parents who sat together with Matthew and Mr. Kalu, before looking at Yomi's grieving parents, feeling terribly sorry for them. “If I can feel this way about Yomi's death, God only knows how his biological parents who bred him to adulthood are feeling right now. It must be so terrible to witness your own child's funeral, especially in their fruitful years.”

Truly, it wasn't easy for them.

It's one thing for one to die a natural, timely death, and it's another to witness a beloved child's departure. That doesn't make it any easier, though.

“One thing I'll always admire Yomi for was his personality,” she continued, gathering more confidence in the process. “He was so real, so kind and adventurous. He wasn't bounded by society's rules—he was, in fact, free-spirited. He did whatever he wanted, however he wanted. He was a hardworking young man with big dreams, which have been unfortunately cut short, but his primary objective was to touch people's lives however he could, and I'm sure that he has impacted a lot of us here, because I am a beneficiary of his really, really good deeds. He was an amazing soul. A very amazing one.”

A few people wiped their tears with their handkerchiefs, nodding their heads to the validity of Idara's remark concerning Yomi. They found it relatable, having directly or indirectly benefited from Yomi's gracious deeds at one point in their lives.

“Now, I know that a lot of you might be thinking that he doesn't deserve all these accolades because of the crime he committed before he died.” Idara pointed out on seeing some unimpressed and doubtful faces from the audience. “But one thing you should know is that Yomi was only human like you and I. He wasn't perfect. Call him a murderer, a cold-hearted killer, a psychopath or whatever you desire, all that doesn't define him. It doesn't change the fact that he was just like every one of us here with flesh and blood, battling with our own personal demons, striving to live a morally upright life.”

There was a pregnant pause, but Idara broke it with, “And, look, don't get me wrong, I'm not justifying what he did. Not at all. All I'm saying is, before you judge him or anyone—in fact—put yourself in his or her shoes. See from their perspective first. You may think you know their story, but you don't, and you wouldn't, unless you take the time to know them well, to feel their pain, to embrace their misery.”

Another pause ensued immediately Idara spotted someone who suddenly appeared from behind a withered oak tree, and the microphone dropped from her hand in the process. Why? Because the person in question looked EXACTLY like Candice, so fear instantly engulfed her, causing her to retract a few steps on the podium.

Some people noticed Idara's horrified look and looked back, only to gasp in shock at the sight of Candice's haunting ghost. Or so they thought.

Most people even stood up with the intention to bail out of the ceremony immediately, but thankfully, the strange guest raised her hands and hollered, “Please stay calm, everyone! I am not Candice!”

Then who are you?’ was the question on everyone's mind, because even their voices were extremely similar, not to mention their striking walking steps which scared people even more.

There was no way this wasn't Candice's vengeful ghost! She had to be the one, definitely awakened from the dead to seek vengeance or wreck havoc on Yomi's funeral, because, of course, why else would she be here?

“Please, be calm!” The guest pleaded on. “I mean no harm!”

If looks could kill, the lady would've ended up in a coffin by now, because all eyes were on her, monitoring her actions.

“I am Lauretta, Candice's older sister.” She revealed, to everyone's surprise. “I was Yomi's friend and I'm just here to honour this ceremony. I'm sorry for disrupting it, though. It wasn't my intention.”

That explains everything!’ Most people, including Idara, thought. ‘But wait, if she's truly Candice's sister, what then is she doing in her sister's killer's funeral? Shouldn't she be mourning her sister and spiting the person behind her death? What exactly brings her here?’ They all wondered. ‘Or is she here to disrupt the funeral, even though she claims otherwise?

“Please, continue with your speech.” Lauretta said to Idara, interlacing her hands for emphasis. “I'm sorry for any inconveniences. I really am.”

Slowly, Idara stepped forward, picked up the microphone and sighed with relief. “It's okay, Lauretta. You're welcome. I was just rounding off, anyway.”

That said, Idara concluded with, “As I was saying, you can't judge someone unless you know their full story. In fact, scratch that. Nobody has the right to judge anyone. God alone gives judgment. And, on that note, I pray that God grants Yomi eternal life in paradise, at least for his good deeds on Earth. He was a remarkable person, and I will never ever forget him, no matter what people say. May his soul rest in eternal peace. Amen.”

Idara received a resounding round of applause as she left the stage, and many people embraced her and commended her for her speech as she made her way to Tayo's spot, and then Tayo also hugged her and praised her bravery, just before the pastor mounted the altar and shared another quick, heartfelt prayer for Yomi.

Then the choir sang the hymn ‘Amazing Grace’ while the undertakers carried Yomi's coffin to his reserved burial spot. People followed them and eventually stood by, watching as they lowered the coffin into the ground, while most filled the air with deafening screams and loud, doleful wails.

Finally, Yomi was laid to rest, and his gravestone was set upon his grave, which read: “In Loving Memory Of Adefolaju Oriyomi Roberts. 2 February 1998 – 10 April 2021. Love Lives On. Forever In Our Thoughts.”

More mournful wails engulfed the air as the audience stepped forward to drop their flowers on Yomi's grave, and when it was Idara's turn, she knelt before his grave and set her roses against his portrait, wishing him well from the deepest, most sincere part of her heart.

She then stood up and left there, weeping in silence, while her family stepped forward with Isioma and Tayo to pay their last respects.

“I'm sorry about your friend.”

Idara turned around at once, startled.

“Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you.” A sad-faced Lauretta apologized. “That was a lovely speech you gave back there.”

“Thank you.”

“I've never seen such bond between friends before. I always thought that this type of spark only comes from romantic relationships and family bonds, but you've just broadened my horizons today.” Lauretta said. “Once again, I'm sorry for your loss.”

“Thank you.” Idara said, dabbing her face with her handkerchief. “I'm sorry about yours, too.”

Lauretta nodded, batting her eyelashes repeatedly. It was obvious that she was seriously trying to be strong, in spite of the sadness that overwhelmed her.

“I know you must be wondering why I'm here, Idara?” Lauretta raised an eyebrow. “That's your name, I suppose?”

Idara nodded.

“Good. It's a nice name. Joy. I like it. You're my goddaughter's namesake. Anyway, as I was saying,” she continued, “a lot of people are surprised to see me here, including you, and the reason is pretty obvious, but strangely enough, I'm not even thinking in that direction at all, Idara. I mean, I barely even know Yomi, 'cause I only met him once, but he seemed like a really nice guy. I knew he loved my sister from the very first stunt he pulled when we met. He saw me from afar with my fiancé and ran up to me, thinking it was Candice and another guy, and he almost made a scene in public until he saw my face up-close. Can you believe that?”

Idara couldn't laugh in this condition, but she managed a smirk, though.

“That's why I wasn't surprised when you all mistook me for Candice. It happens all the time,” Lauretta blinked fast to mask the tense look that always appeared in her eyes each time she mentioned her sister's name lately. It wasn't easy for her to cope either. Idara could tell that much from her little sporadic actions so far.

“But, to be honest, the point is, I hold nothing against Yomi, because I know the kind of sister I had, and I know the reckless lifestyle she lived right under our parents' noses, even before she started schooling. I thought she'd changed for good when she gained admission into the university, but I thought wrong. Little did I know that she continued her wayward lifestyle in school, too. It was just recently—after she died—that Mike, my step-brother, filled me in about what she did to your friend, Isioma, and I was stunned that she could actually go to that length just for revenge. My God!

Lauretta shook her head in disbelief. “And I also learned that she was HIV positive, and that Yomi got infected with it through her. God only knows the emotional trauma that young man must've been through for him to punish her and take his own life, too. It must've been too much for him to endure.” She paused to breathe. “But all in all, I'm not judging anyone between them. Like you said, judgment is for God, so I'll leave it to Him. All I'm here for is to pay my last respects, and I've done that in all fairness. May Yomi find rest in the bosom of the Almighty. Amen.”

“Amen.” Idara concurred. “When is Candice's burial?”

“Two days from now.” Lauretta sounded somewhat sadder. “Plans are still being set, but whatever happens, Mike will keep you posted. Will you come?”

“Sure, of course.”

“Well, I'll be looking forward to seeing you, then.” Lauretta embraced Idara. “Take care of yourself and don't think too much, okay?”

Wrapping her arms around Lauretta, Idara muttered, “Okay.”

With that, Lauretta left, and then Yomi's mother came to Idara with an envelope.

“I loved your speech, Idara.” Mrs. Roberts said amid tears. “It was excellent.”

“Thank you, ma.” Idara couldn't bear seeing her so devastated, especially at close range like this. She would erase her pain if she could. “I'm honoured.”

“Well, Yomi left notes for us.” Mrs. Roberts handed the envelope to Idara. “We found them in his car. This one's for you.”

She patted Idara's shoulder twice before leaving without another word, and out of sheer curiosity, Idara opened the envelope and took the note out to read.

It read:

Dear Idara, if you're reading this, then I'm dead.

I'm running out of ways to tell you how sorry I am for my frequent wrongdoing, but I'll make a call on radio tonight, which I hope you'd listen to, but if you don't, then I'm heavily hoping you'd fall back on this note someday.

Truth is, my mind is so messed up tonight, and my heart hurts a lot as I pen these words to you. I hate to admit it, Dara, but you were right about Candice the entire time. You tried to warn me several times, but I was the headstrong insect that got caught up in her web real good to the point of no return. What I mean is, I'm HIV positive, and there's no going back from this. No cure. It hurts!

How could I have been so dumb not to see the glaring signs right in front of me all along? God! I'm screwed!

However, the point is, I'm sorry for taking you for granted, Idara. You were so nice to me, but I took your kindness for weakness, and for that I apologize with deep sincerity. But, in a way, I think that our separation was for the greater good, because I've seen your spark with Tayo, and it's really satisfying to see someone who holds you with such regard than I ever did.

My advice? Stick with him, Dara. He knows your worth; I can tell from the sparkle in his eyes when he looks at you. He's a good man, trust me.

And, oh, one more thing. Remember that masterpiece you once wrote for me at the beach? Well, don't be surprised, I've discovered you're the one behind it, so to make up for my past mistakes, here's mine—straight from the heart—to you, Dara. I love you.

At this point, Idara stopped reading. Her eyes spilled tears like never before, as she gazed at Yomi's portrait on his grave for one last time.

No matter what angle she looked at it from, he always seemed to be staring back at her, like he was actually present in his own funeral, trying to communicate with her, aiming to make his presence known somehow.

Or maybe she was just overexaggerating, or stressed, or both.

In the process of crying, however, tiny teardrops landed on the note she held, forcing her to continue reading, despite her burdened heart.

Yomi's poem reads:

I wait to see you when I wake and dream of you at night,
There is nothing I would rather gaze at than this sight.
Your face is so exquisite that I forget how to speak,
And with every visit to your beauty I become more weak.

I wish that I could touch you like I do each time I write,
If each caress could come to life and make you smile so bright.
Your lips are so delightful, like sweet icing on a cake;
Dear God, how much more endless pleasure can I slowly take?

Darling, would you let me pay attention to each one?
And with each kiss confess to you the things I would have done?
Just the thought of tender bliss can render words like this;
Oh, you are so beautiful, with love I am so full.

I just adore you head to toe in ways I cannot show,
What I see before me has led me to let you know;
Oh, I cannot hide the way you make me feel inside,
From love-filled eyes to helpless sighs to more than butterflies.

My heart begins to glow when more divine you start to grow,
And love unfolds breathlessly swift with every precious gift.
Yes, perhaps I share too much but now it is too late;
For love has manifested and forever sealed my fate.

__________

The End.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.6K 4.6K 41
{COMPLETED} "This is the sequel to The Wrong Crowd." "I have not broken your heart - you have broken it; and in breaking it, you have broken mine."...
21K 3.3K 75
You know how it feels when those you love are the key factors as to why you are scarred physically and emotionally?. You don't? Well, Maliya Jamil ca...
62.8K 4.7K 24
*A Nigerian Romance Story* The line between Infatuation and Obsession is called Danger. Wunmi decided to accept the job her friend is offering her a...
827 152 37
Money, wealth, fame, power, these teens have all you could ever want, but all that glitters Is not good. **** What would you do if you found out you...