Never Less Than A Lady | Hero...

By midnightreads97

Hero Fiennes Tiffin knows his duty: find a wife and sire a son of his own. The perfect bride for a man in his... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight

Chapter Twenty

555 31 0
By midnightreads97

Josephine

It was nearly dark when the carriage arrived at Ashton House. Josephine had forgotten just how large the ducal mansion was. Reading her mind, Hero said, "This sprawling great pile is said to be the largest private home in London, which is why Felix can give me a set of rooms and never even notice."

"I shall be glad to stay in one place for several days at a stretch," Josephine said fervently as her husband helped her from the carriage. Well-trained footmen arrived to carry their bags inside.

Jack climbed from the vehicle to say his good-byes. "Lady Josephine, it's been a pleasure to make your acquaintance." He kissed her hand with a flourish. "Though I'm sadly disappointed that the trip was so uneventful."

Her brows arched. "You think a mere single assassination attempt is uneventful, Mr Anderson?"

"Downright boring," he agreed. "Trouble is my middle name, you know."

Hero laughed and shook Jack's hand. "Thank you for the escort service, Jack. And for everything else."

"It was my pleasure," the other man said, his voice serious for once. "I owed you a favour or two."

Hero said, "In that case, since someone is bound to want to throw a ball in our honour to reintroduce Lady Josephine to society, will you attend if you receive an invitation?"

"I don't owe you that large a favour!" Grinning wickedly, Jack swung back into the carriage and signalled for it to set off again.

Josephine took Hero's arm as they climbed the steps to the front door. "Does Jack's birth prevent him from moving in society?"

"Not really. His father was a lord, he's acknowledged by George Anderson and the rest of the family, and he was popular with the other troublesome lordlings at the Westerfield Academy. But he has always preferred to distance himself from the ton." Hero made a face. "I did the same, but that is no longer possible."

"You were a serving officer, which is the best of excuses for avoiding Almack's." She glanced up at his profile. Her handsome husband, whose intimidating exterior concealed remarkable kindness and patience. "A good part of the reason for coming to London is to return me to society, but that will mean you have to attend balls and routs as well. Will you hate it too much?"

"I'm not sure," he admitted as the doors swung open before them. "I've never spent much time moving in such circles. In moderate amounts, the social routine might be amusing. Have you been yearning for the delights of the beau monde?"

"Since I went into an arranged marriage when I was young and then I was isolated in the country, I have no idea if I'll enjoy the ton. If I do, I'll probably prefer moderation, as you do." Her hand tightened on his arm. "It's fortunate that we're here at the start of the autumn social season. The spring season might be too much for me." The butler approached with the faint smile that meant gushing good humour by his standards. "Major Tiffin, Mrs Thomas, how good to see you again. The duke and duchess are dining in tonight. I shall inform them of your arrival."

"Don't interrupt them if they're eating, Holmes," Hero said. "After dinner is soon enough."

"It would be worth my job if I didn't inform them of your arrival immediately," Holmes said, his expression stern.

Hero glanced down at Josephine, humour lurking in his eyes. "In that case, tell them Major Tiffin and his wife have just arrived."

Holmes was so startled he raised his brows before saying, "Indeed I shall." He bowed and withdrew.

"That will bring them both quickly," Tessa predicted as she removed her bonnet. "Especially Rose."

Her prediction was accurate. By the time she'd removed her cloak, swift light footsteps were approaching. The duchess called merrily, "Hero, you rogue. Did you change your mind about my sister Madison and whisk her off to Gretna Green?"

Rose swept into the entry hall, her sunny nature filling the high-ceilinged hall with golden warmth. Dark and reserved, Felix was several steps behind, but his smile was equally welcoming.

On seeing the new arrivals, the duchess stopped so quickly that her husband almost ran into her. "Josephine! You and Hero have married?"

"Indeed we have," Josephine said mildly.

"Felix, you owe me five guineas!" Rose launched herself into Josephine's arms with an exuberant hug. "I told you Hero fancied her."

"Whereas I, being a mere male, thought they disliked each other." Felix clapped Hero's shoulder as they shook hands. "Kind of you to bring Rose's best friend into the family, FT."

"Josephine didn't seem interested, but after she repaired my bad leg, I decided I must marry her so she'd be available the next time I damaged myself," Hero explained.

"You are walking rather well." Felix's blue eyes showed amusement. "I quite see why you'd want Josephine. It's more surprising that she said yes."

Josephine was reminded that the duke was a remarkably perceptive man. "I was content with widowhood, but Hero changed my mind." She made a face. "There were...extenuating circumstances."

"That sounds interesting," Rose said. "Take a few minutes to freshen up, then join us for dinner. No need to change. We're very informal tonight."

"Ten minutes then." Hero offered Josephine his arm. To the footman, he said, "Place Lady Josephine's bags in my rooms."

"Lady Josephine?" Rose exclaimed.

"I told you it was complicated!" Josephine tossed over her shoulder as they headed up the staircase.

She hadn't seen Hero's rooms when she'd visited Ashton House earlier in the year, so she looked around with interest when he ushered her into the sitting room. It was spacious and well furnished in restful shades of blue and cream, with windows overlooking the garden behind the house. "This is lovely! No wonder you're so comfortable here."

"It's incredibly generous of Felix to allow me to treat the house as my own," Hero agreed. "The bedroom is through there and that door leads to a dressing room."

The dressing room door opened and a wiry, dark-haired young man emerged, one of Hero's coats folded over his arm. "Welcome home, Major." Then he saw Josephine. He knew her from the earlier trip to London, and his expression was vivid with curiosity as he bowed a welcome. "Mrs Thomas. It's a pleasure, ma'am."

"No longer Mrs Thomas." Hero placed his hand in the small of her back. "She's now Lady Josephine Tiffin. My wife."

Josephine knew that valets often felt jealous when their masters married, but luckily she and Gordon had been on friendly terms. Though his expression was startled, he didn't appear upset. "Congratulations, sir!" He bowed again. "Will I be meeting your lady's maid soon, Lady Josephine?"

"It's good to see you again, Gordon." After a dozen years of looking after herself, Josephine had half-forgotten that a maid would be expected. "I haven't a maid at the moment, but I imagine I will be looking for one soon." She glanced at her husband.

Hero nodded. "Since you'll be acquiring a new wardrobe, a maid is essential."

The thought of interviewing applicants made Josephine feel tired. "Perhaps the duchess has a junior maid ready for a promotion."

Gordon looked hopeful. "I know a young female who might be suitable, Lady Josephine. She isn't as experienced as some, but she's good with clothes, an expert with a needle, and she's bright and good-natured and willing."

Hero grinned. "Is this the girl whose praises you sang throughout Portugal?"

Gordon blushed. "Yes, sir. But truly, I think Elsa would suit you, Lady Josephine."

"Then I shall certainly interview her," Josephine agreed.

"Thank you, my lady! She can call tomorrow afternoon for an interview." He ducked his head. "Your bags have been delivered. You'll be sharing these rooms?"

"We will indeed," Hero replied. "After you've unpacked us both, you may have the evening off. It's been a long journey and we'll retire early."

"Yes, sir!" Gordon left the fresh coat over the back of a chair and withdrew.

As soon as they were alone, Hero drew her into a hug. "I expect he'll be off to tell the fair Elsa that they might be able to work in the same household. I could tell you more than you would ever want to know about the girl, her appearance, her relations, and how she and Gordon met."

Josephine laughed. "Then I hope she will do." She relaxed into Hero, loving the growing familiarity of his embrace, his scent, and strength. "With any encouragement, I'll go to sleep here," she murmured.

"You need food and good company, both of which are waiting downstairs." His hands stroked over her hips, pressing her closer. "The trip was tiring, but easy compared to all we have to do here in London. I shall be glad of an early night."

Recognizing that it wasn't sleeping he had in mind, she said hesitantly, "I shall also be glad to sleep."

Hearing her unspoken reservations, he said, "As you wish."

She felt his embrace change subtly. It was still affectionate, but no longer anticipating more. "You're so patient with my foot-dragging," she said ruefully. "I keep thinking a soldier would want to conquer."

He laughed. "A soldier needs patience more than the ability to attack. I was prepared to spend a year hoping you would be willing to lie with me, so I think we're progressing very well."

"That's true," she said thoughtfully. "In another fortnight, my skittishness might be gone forever and you can seduce me whenever you choose."

"I'm hoping that a fortnight after that, you'll be seducing me." He kissed the sensitive spot under her left ear.

She caught her breath as desire curled through her. Though she'd never imagined initiating intimacy herself, the idea was as intriguing as it was bold. "An interesting thought, Hero. For now, though, we should freshen up and join our hosts."

"How much do you want them to know?" Hero asked as he released her and peeled off the coat he'd worn all day.

She considered. "Everything but the most sordid bits, I suppose. Not about the scarring and my...barrenness, but they should know about the kidnapping and the circumstances of Xander's death."

"They can be trusted with as much truth as you want to reveal." He poured water into the basin so he could wash his face. After drying himself, he added, "I assume that the public story will be more discreet? We need to agree on the details."

Josephine brushed out her hair and tied it back, intensely grateful to have friends she could trust to be on her side. Hero was the first among those friends, but Rose and Felix were close behind. "The world can be told that Xander died of injuries from a fall, which is true. I was so devastated that I ran away and let everyone believe I was dead, which is a kind of truth."

"True enough to be easy to remember," Hero agreed. "What shall we use for the official story of our marriage?"

"We can say we met in Hartley and I revealed who I was after learning you were my late husband's cousin." She splashed water on her face. "After a dozen years of mourning, I was ready to consider marriage again, and how could I resist you?"

Hero rolled his eyes. "Remember that we should keep close to the truth. The fewer details, the better. Since you didn't go out socially when you were in London earlier, you will be an intriguing surprise to society."

Josephine had been teasing a bit when she said he was irresistible, but it was true. As she enjoyed the way the light linen shirt revealed his lean, powerful body, she recognized that any normal woman would have been riveted at first sight. Josephine hadn't been normal when they met-but her female nature was recovering steadily.

Hero pulled on the fresh coat, then offered his arm and they headed downstairs to join the Kents in the small salon. Rose looked radiant when they arrived.

Josephine studied her friend as she and Hero entered, recognizing that radiance. "You're pregnant!"

"How do you know?" Rose exclaimed. "But of course you would. I'm so glad you're here. I'm delighted but a little panicked."

"The same is true of me!" Felix added fervently.

Suppressing painful envy, Josephine said reassuringly, "Having babies is the most natural thing in the world. You'll manage splendidly."

"Congratulations!" Hero shook Felix's hand, then kissed Rose's cheek. "Your families must be quite pleased."

"They will be when they learn," Rose agreed. "We hadn't told anyone yet. But I'm glad Josephine guessed so I can talk about it!"

"Now that our news has been shared, shall we drink a round of sherry in a fashionable sort of way," the duke asked, "or fall ravenously on our dinners?"

"The latter! I'm ravenous all the time now." Rose made a face. "Except in the mornings, when I'm green."

Laughing, both couples moved into the family dining room, which was much cosier than the majestic state dining room. The conversation was general and lighthearted until the meal was finished. After Rose ordered tea for the ladies and port for the gentlemen, Felix waved away the servants so they could talk privately. "About those complications? Unpleasant ones, I gather."

Hero glanced at Josephine. She nodded at him to start the story.

"The first complication was arriving in Hartley to learn that Josephine had just been abducted." Having captured the attention of the Kents, he kept them riveted as he tersely described rescuing Josephine and their marriage in Edinburgh. The duke's eyes narrowed, a reminder that his mildness concealed a core of steel.

When Hero finished, Rose said in a hushed voice, "Thank heaven you visited Hartley at the right time. Would Damien have murdered Josephine?"

"1 don't think he would plan to kill her in cold blood. But if he lost his temper..." Hero shook his head, expression grave. "Josephine, you knew him. What do you think he intended to do if Arthur brought you to him?"

"I presume Damien ordered the abduction so he could scream and swear and tell me what a wicked woman I am." Josephine tried to sound calm as if the subject was no more important than the weather. "He probably didn't plan the murder, but he might easily have lost control."

Felix asked, "Will Damien drop his persecution when he learns Josephine is his heir's wife?"

"I think so," Hero replied in a steely voice, "but I'm not sure. If he won't-well, I will do what is necessary to protect my wife. He should be in London now, so I'll send a message and ask him to receive me at his earliest convenience."

Josephine took a deep breath. "When you call on him, I'm going with you."

Hero frowned. "Damien is going to explode in all directions when he learns I've married you. Your presence will make it even worse."

"I might as well get the meeting over with." Her smile was rueful. "If we're both going to be mauled by the encounter, it might be easier if we're together."

His expression eased. "You're probably right."

"Enough of problems. It's time to discuss amusements," Rose announced. "We must introduce you both to society with a ball. In about a fortnight, which will allow time to have a truly splendid gown made, Josephine . I'll arrange for the modiste to call here. Hero, you must wear your uniform. The sight of you in your regimentals is enough to make strong women swoon."

Hero groaned at her words, though Josephine privately agreed. Ignoring him, Rose continued, "Felix, is our social credit strong enough to overcome Stephen's disowning Josephine?"

"I believe so." Felix smiled fondly at his wife. "Stephen isn't very popular, whereas you, my golden duchess, are all the rage in the polite world."

"Golden duchess?" Hero asked.

"The beau monde loves to give nicknames." Rose grinned. "Considering my rather dubious upbringing, I find it vastly amusing to be considered fashionable."

A thought occurred to Josephine. "Would it help if my grandmother is co-hostess? That would demonstrate that not all my family has cast me off."

Rose nodded. "An excellent idea. Who is your grandmother?"

"The Dowager Duchess of Charente."

Felix, who knew London society best, burst into laughter. "The most exclusive, reclusive, and sought after noblewoman in London! Her presence will surely smooth your way if she's willing to cooperate."

Hero's brows arched. "I see that you weren't joking about having the bluest blood in England, milady."

Josephine shrugged. "To me, she is simply Grandmére. She said during my earlier visit that it was time I returned to the world, so she will approve of your efforts, Rose."

Her friend's eyes gleamed. "Society is a game, and we've just been dealt the cards to make this the most talked-about ball of the autumn season!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.4K 982 14
herophine fan fic When Josephine langford a librarian new to london meets Hero Fiennes-Tiffin a saxophone player at a Jazz club. Her world gets flipp...
21.5K 1.2K 40
A Second Chance. This is my first ever story. This is a fictional story about Herophine with some bits that may/may not be true. Jo & Hero meet up a...
6.4K 532 23
When one is the rightful heir and the other wants everything just for himself. Josephine realised that she was caught in the middle of a succession w...
27.2K 925 10
Josephine and Hero have been dating for awhile now. Now that their movie After We Collided is coming out soon, that means another promotion tour. Jos...