Their Lost Gem

By Samravis

15 year old Artika Varma had everything in her life that she wished for. Three crazy, insane yet supportive... More

Author's Note
Copyright and Plagiarism
Prologue
Epigraph
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Feedback
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10 - Part (i)
Chapter 10 - Part (ii)
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Cast
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
The Birthday Girl
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
I may delete this later
Chapter 18
Chapter 19

Chapter 12

310 32 49
By Samravis

" MAAAA .... YOU'RE SO BEAUTIFULLLLL !!!!", I shrieked as soon as I saw her.

There she was, descending the stairways gracefully in her peach pink saree and oxidized jewelery, it wouldn't give justice if I just said that she is Beautiful .

" Beautiful? Cut that, you're super gorgeous Aunty !! I bet, Uncle is going to fall in love all over again !!!!!!! ", Riya screamed with utmost enthusiasm. She wouldn't be this excited about her wedding I am telling you.

" Of course Aunty, we aren't lying. You're elegant! ", Swetha said with sincerity in her voice.

" And what do you have to say Neena? ", Ma asked Neena whose mouth was literally hanging in the air. Wait, don't tell me that her jaw is dislocated.

No, it can't be .......

As if a cold bucket of water was poured on her, she immediately closed her mouth before throwing us a sheepish grin.

" I am just flabbergasted, Aunty! ", She replied to the question which was asked centuries back.

Great timing!

" Thank you so much, sweethearts! You had sacrificed all your time just for this. I have no words to explain how happy I am !! You're the best! ", Ma said, slightly tearing up in the process. If you don't know one thing about mom, then let me tell you - she gets easily emotional. Even for the smallest things.

And you may think why she is getting emotional. Sorry, for holding you back - it's because she is getting married.

Yeah, you heard that right. Never in my life, I thought that she'd get married. It's emotional for me too. She may be the person with the biggest smile on her face, but that's not it. Behind that beautiful smile holds a lot of pain, heartbreaks and betrayal.

Even though I was small, I had seen her undergo a lot of things just so she could raise me well. She faced this whole damned society who was criticizing her, for things that weren't even her fault. Over time, we had grown overprotective of each other.

I never bothered about others, but when it comes to the matters of my mom and my friends, I turn overprotective in just a split second. And now, here I am getting emotional as if I am seeing my daughter getting married.

I guess, this one week of me coming to terms with my mom's marriage wasn't enough!

" Arti? What happened putta? ", Ma asked while placing her soft palms on my cheek. She must've probably noticed me zoning out.

How comforting this is .....

" Nothing Ma .. ", I said as I placed my hand on her hand, softly caressing while I continued, " ... I just remembered how beautiful of a person you're! ". I could feel the water lining my eyes, while a small lump formed at the back of my throat making it hard to swallow.

" Putta ... ", She started as her eyes started forming tears too, " Y ou're the best thing that happened to me during my tough times, Dear. Remember, no matter what, I will never leave your side. I will always remain as your pillar of support, just like how we were during all these years .... ", She said as a solemn tear found its way down her cheek.

" I know you're always thinking about the new environment where we're gonna live. But trust me, if you're uncomfortable there - even for a second, we will leave that place. You're are and will always be my priority. I love you putta !!!! Forever! ", she said, whispering the last part as if making a promise - a reassuring promise which I never asked.

Moms always give us things, even without us asking ... Even if it is a promise.

" Ma! This is the reason why I love you. ", I said while I could feel the tears threatening to spill. " You always do things even if I don't ask. Trust me Ma - if Dad does something which makes you cry, I won't hesitate to punch him in his nose. I Always love you Ma, from Earth to Pluto and back ! ", I said chuckling at the end, as tears started coursing down my cheeks.

I slowly stood on my tiptoes, trying to balance my body as a placed a soft kiss on her forehead as an assurance of what I said. Soon enough, we both were crying - connecting our foreheads as a form of giving the non -spoken validation for what we said.

" Fuck! Why am I crying !!! ", Riya's voice boomed, ending our small moment.

That's when I saw that it wasn't just Riya who was crying, Swetha and Neena were also crying along with us. Neena was trying very hard to not smudge her mascara which reportedly took her 19 minutes and 28 seconds to do it. On the other hand, Swetha and Riya were completely looking like ghosts as there was a big, prominent circle under their eyes.

" RIYA ! THIS IS THE 100TH TIME I AM TELLING TO NOT SAY BAD WORDS !!!! ", Swetha shouted as she harshly wiped another tear which fell from her eyes, causing the black smudge to spread across her cheeks. If there is one person who could turn on her wrong switches, then it's only RIYA! I don't know how that girl manages to do that!

" I am sorry. I am sorry. I won't do this hereafter! ", Riya surprisingly accepted defeat, which she never does. She never backs down on an argument, let alone scoldings.

Someone is not in their mood I guess ?!

" Okay children ... Go and correct your make-up. I have to check some documents. Once you're ready, we can leave for the registrar office. ", Ma said, trying to divert what happened now.

" Sure, Aunty. We will. ", Swetha responded.

" Ohkay , dear! And putta, don't overthink okay? ", She said as she placed a soft peck on my forehead. " Sure Ma, I won't! ", I replied as I wiped my tears with my napkin.

______________________________________

Author's POV:-

Silence engulfed as the four of them awkwardly sat on the bench of the registrar office or the Arya Samaj Mandir. The Friday was breezy as their anarkalis and lehengas squirmed in the air, making it difficult for them to maintain.

" .... So? ", Artika started trying to break the silence. " It's a good thing that today is a holiday! ", Swetha said, continuing the flow.

" And why exactly is today a holiday? ", Riya asked oblivious to the reason. " One of our sisters died in the convent. And as a mark of respect, we are having a holiday! ", Swetha replied earning 'oh's from her friends.

The marriage was scheduled for Saturday, but they got to know that the working hours were only on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Artika's mom thought of asking for a day off from school. But today, it seemed that the universe is doing everything in her power for the marriage to happen. Initially, it was hard convincing Deepak about letting her friends join this small and compact wedding. But upon Artika's request or what she calls puppy eyes, he allowed the presence of her friends.

And now, here they are sitting outside the Arya Samaj Mandir. Ms Varma was inside referring her documents, making sure none of them is wrong.

" So? What did you tell your mom before coming here? ", Arti asked Swetha who was staring at the solitary leaf, that was near her foot. " I said that today is Aunty's birthday and that there is a small party in the house. ", She replied without changing her focus from the leaf. She didn't mean to lie to her mother. It was just that neither Arti nor Ms Varma wanted to leak the news of the marriage.

" I said the same too. ", Neena replied meekly.

" And what did you say Riya? ", Arti asked motioning her to speak.

" I said that I am running away with my boyfriend. ", She said as Swetha started choking on her saliva. Neena immediately went to her assistance and gently patted her as Swetha took deep breathes to calm down.

" And you know what my mom said? She told me to come home with a baby next year or she would never let me inside the house! "

This time, it was Neena's turn to choke as she started coughing violently due to the sudden answer given by Riya, which was totally unexpected.

" I now know where your savage genes came from ", Arti replied shaking her head at the openness of the duo.

.

.

.

Silence again settled amongst them, this time it was not as awkward as before but it was definitely thought-provoking. They were pondering over their life decisions, both the good ones and the bad ones. Of course, lying to their parents was something not acceptable and they are truly feeling guilty for that. And Artika - well, she is feeling super guilty for making her friends lie to her parents, just so they could attend this secret marriage.

Secrets cannot be held for too long and secrets are bound to open ...

~ • ~ • ~

The honking of cars and the loud voices of people who are obviously pissed off can be heard in the metropolitan city of New Delhi. Nobody knew why the traffic was blocked. It was more than 20 minutes and the crowd only grew impatient.

Some thought that it might be some powerful politician who must've arrived there, while some thought that it must be some cine actor. Hell, some even thought that another country's president must've arrived.

Soon enough, 10 black Rolls-Royce passed through the blocked roadway, shutting the mouths of all the people present there. It was none other than the country's business magnate and the richest man - Deepak Malhotra passing through those roads of Delhi, which people use often.

Nobody knew why he came there, but couldn't help but be astonished as each car zoomed past them ...

In the car ...

There, sat the man who controls almost everything in the country - either it is directly or indirectly. The youth look at him in admiration, his staffs bow at him in respect and people stop in their tracks when they hear his name. No one in this country doesn't know 'Deepak Malhotra' - The most powerful business tycoon in Indian history.

The Malhotra Corporations contributed to about 1.15 trillion in the fiscal year of 2020.

The first page of the newspaper (which was seated comfortably on the back seat) read. Beside him was his son, or more importantly - The Malhotra's pride - Abhimanyu Malhotra - The next in line to the Malhotra Corporations.

His face held a stoic expression. He was handling the steering wheel with utmost ease as he occasionally threw a few glances towards his father. He wanted to say something but seems like there weren't any words.

" Pa ..? ", He slowly called his father who immediately diverted his attention towards him.

" Yes, Abhi? ", He replied almost instantly.

" Pa actually, I have handed all the required documents -from Ma's death certificate to proof of residential address to the Sub -Divisional Magistrate two weeks in prior. I had also reserved the whole office for VVIP security purpose and -"

" Abhi relax !!!! I completely trust you in this matter. Don't bug your mind too much! ", Deepak surprisingly interjected the ranting Abhi.

If there is something that makes Deepak Malhotra, then it is his Perfectionist Attitude. He expects perfection in every little thing. And Abhi seems to carry his father's gene - The gene of Perfection!

So, Deepak asking Abhi to chill only made his tension worse. This marriage is something his father would cherish. He wouldn't spare if there was even a small mistake. From the time his father announced his marriage to his sons, he made sure to do everything perfectly. He even postponed all the meetings to Saturday - which was usually his rest day.

" Abhi?", He called softly - the tone which has been years since he heard it. "What do you think about this marriage?", He questioned his son, who started staring at the road in front of them, as if it was the most beautifully laid road ever.

"What do I have to say Pa? It's your life, and as long as you're happy with your decisions we're happy too!", Abhi replied in his monotone voice.

"Sorry... Sorry Abhi!", he started which completely threw him off guard. "I had been wallowing in my own pity that I never paid attention to any of you. I am slowly beginning to realise how much of a bad father I am! After Devika came into my life, I started seeing light. A hope that I will become the old Deepak - the Deepak who was a hopeless romantic, the Deepak who loved your mother to the core. After I met Artika, I gained another new hope that I will become a good father! I promise, hereafter I will be a good father to you and your brothers. Sorry Abhi, for neglecting you, even though if you only were a child!", he said a lone tear slipped from his eyes.

The last time he ever saw his father cry was on his mother's death. The death of Mrs Malhotra was a complete disaster to the Malhotra family. That day completely changed the way things used to be in the Malhotra Mansion. It has been year's since the duo even had a proper conversation.

It was a big surprise since his father initiated a conversation, apologised to him and even spoke about be a good father. Every word was engraved in his head and he was sure he wasn't going to forget it ever.

Hyperthymesia - a condition in which a person has an autobiographical memory of their life.

It may sound like a beautiful thing to others, but only he knew the pain. Remembering things that he didn't want to sounded like hell. Oh, how he wished he didn't have this condition.

Though he low-key liked his father speaking like this. Another problem was that he didn't know how to showcase what he was feeling.

He didn't know how to either.

The most pitiable people are the ones who struggle to show their emotions.

So he did what he thought was good. He kept silent.

"Say something Abhi?", his father asked him when he noticed that his son wasn't replying him.

"I am a grown-up Pa! The only ones who need your attention now are Aarav, Arvind and Artika! Focus on them Pa. I don't need it anymore!"

This time, it was Deepak who was thrown off-guard.

Did he throw his son to an extent that he doesn't want him anymore?

Did he neglect him too much?

Did he mess up big time?

But he knew, whatever he did was too late to rectify!

Meanwhile, Abhi was no less in the turmoil than his father is in. His body looked calm compared to how tangled his heart is.

But, there was one thing that was mainly in his mind.

If Artika could change his father, will she change him too?

~•~•~

The string of cars soon came to a halt in front of the Arya Samaj Mandir. Abhi was the first to get out of the car as the tension was too thick to handle. He gave the keys to his assistant, Mr Rao who got out of a different car. Soon enough Deepak got out of the car too.

"Papa!!! We are finally here!", a voice shouted. Deepak immediately knew who it was. It was none other than Aarav, who was hyper excited, with an equally hyped up Arvind. The two twins are the ones who are making the mansion lively. They were soon followed by Vikram and Vijay who were in total contrast to their younger siblings.

If it was before, he would've completely ignored it, but the previous conversation came to his mind. He didn't know what to do now, especially with millions of thought swimming through his bead. All he wanted to focus on now was his wedding.

"Yes Aarav, now come let's go.",

With each step towards the office, he could hear his heart beating louder. No matter how many times he had seen her, he still feels like the first time. He didn't know if it was an emerging heart disease or simply because he was in love!

Every time he saw her, he felt like a silly teenager seeing their crushes from a distance. The way she talked, her hand movements, her expressions, the time when she gasps when he surprises her, the jingling of her bangles and her melodious laughter. Everything seemed so surreal to him.

Damn! Our billionaire is so whipped! Like a whipping cream!

With all these thoughts in his head, he didn't even know that he was outside the office where his marriage was going to take place. The journey from the car to the office seemed so quick. Quicker than making a coffee.

"Dad! You're here?!", A voice asked.

As if on cue, he immediately turned his head in the direction of the voice only to spot his beautiful daughter.

Or maybe would-be daughter!

He swore, the day he saw this angel was the day he promised himself to protect her at all costs. She was one ball of fur, filled with innocence and purity. She had him wrapped around her pinky finger like a piece of cake. Whenever he sees her, he has this sudden surge of protectiveness, flowing through his body like the River Nile.

"Pa? What happened?", she asked clicking her fingers in front of his eyes. If it would've been anyone, they would've been dead by now.

"Nothing princess! How are you? Did you eat? Where is your Ma?", he started shooting

"Woah Woah Woah!!!! Calm down! Ma is inside! And I am totally fine!", She replied with a cheeky grin. The grin that reminded him of something.

Or rather someone.....

He glanced behind her to see her friends all standing, awkwardly shuffling in their places. That's when wanted to slam his head in the wall. He realized that the kids must be Artika's friends. He must've probably intimidated them.

'Ah Deep, here you go again. Maintain cool.'

"Hello kids, you must be Arti's friends. Thank you for attending this wedding. And..... May I know your names!!!", he started hoping he did well with the kids.

"Hello, Sir! I am Swetha! Arti's friend since 3rd grade. It's a pleasure to meet you Sir!", Swetha started when she realised that her friends were stuck to the ground.

"Hello, kid! Nice meeting you too. And don't call me Sir! Call me Uncle! Ohkay?", he asked earning quick nods from the trio.

"Hi, Un..U.c...Uncle... I.. am Ri..Riya!", Riya started which came off as a series of stutters.

"And I am Neena! Uncle, you're my very big inspiration. I hope to become like you someday!", Neena continued with her eyes sparkling as if she saw the one and only Jimin.

"Awww... Thank you! So Swetha, Riya and Neena. I guess you're very close with Artika! I hope you don't leak out this secret! Anything will lead to a major disaster! Is that understood?", he asked which made the trio shake their heads again.

It might be their first meeting, but they learnt one thing. If you're told to keep a secret, especially by Deepak Malhotra - you should keep it no matter what!

"Arti!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!", Two voices boomed making Arti jump from the loudness of the voice. The whole office was empty, and any sound that was made could be heard like an echo!

It was none other than Aarav and Arvind jumping like three-year-olds, almost skipping five stairs to reach her. Deepak understood that they need to chit chat and soon moved inside the office.

The voices of the most talkative people on the earth could be heard as they exchanged greetings and hugs and introduction.

~•~•~

"Sir! Madam! The documents are perfect. You can sign here!", the officer said while motioning them to sign in the said place.

Deepak picked up the pen and was about to sign, but he placed the pen down - almost forgetting something which he wanted to do.

He turned to his right to see the love of his life, for whom he is head over heels. He gently took her hands in his, squeezing them in assurance.

"Devika....", he started. He definitely memorised what he wanted to say, but he forgot. He had memorized it and even wrote it for 10 times, yet just by seeing her face made his mind blank.

Nevertheless, he started, " Devika! There was a time when I thought of myself as a man who doesn't even have feelings. There was a time when I realized that I was completely dead inside. There was a time, where I was hoping for a miracle to happen. 15 years - it's been 15 years since all the things happened. I had completely drowned myself in my work. People call me Ruthless, Perfectionist, Cold-hearted and stuff. It reached to a point that I started to believe that these are true. But then, one night - one night that changed everything.....", he said, unconsciously cupping her cheeks. He didn't know what he was telling. It seemed like his mouth was having a mind of its own. But everything seemed so perfect. These words came from his heart! On the other hand, Ms Varma was confused as to what was happening.

"...the night when we met. I was a shareholder in your orphanage, but we never met. Truth to be told, I only came there because my manager insisted. I never knew that with just one glance from you, and I would fall in this beautiful ditch called love. Everytime I see you, I feel like a 7 year old who has a crush on his English teacher. You gave me the hope that love can happen no matter the age. You're a godsend gift for me. 2 years back, if someone said that I will find love again, I would've probably tied him to a rocket and sent him to Mars. But see, how fate is playing. I promise Devika, even if God decides to separate is, I will not hesitate to fight him. Because you're worth it. I Love You. With all my heart and soul!", he ended, wiping the tears that were flowing like an open faucet from her eyes.

It wasn't just Devika who was crying, even the officer present there couldn't help but wipe the tears that were flowing from his eyes.

Who knew that this cold-hearted person would find love.

"Bhai! Dad is so in love! I never thought he would be like this!", Vikram whispered softly in Abhi's ear.

"I love you too.. Mr Malhotra!", Ms Varma whispered while sniffling a bit.

"Come, let's sign this!", he said guiding her towards the paper. The certificate was first signed by Deepak followed by Ms Varma. Once she finished, everyone clapped their hands congratulating the couple.

"The three witness from the Groom's side! Please sign here!", the officer stated. Abhi, Vikram and Vijay stepped forward to sign the document. Once it was finished the officer asked the witnesses from Ms Varma's side to sign the papers.

After finishing it, the officer signed the document thus making their marriage legal.

"Congratulations Mr and Mrs Malhotra!"

______________________________________

Author's Section:-

Hello beautiful people, you don't know how much thankful I am for y'all.

I never expected TLG to reach 1k views, let alone 1.4k views. I am truly grateful for your support! 🤧🤧🤧😭😭

I never knew I would make this chapter so big. It's literally too big. Sorry if this chapter bored you. I promise to make it interesting from the next one.

Please tell me how the chapter was in the comments section. I just wanted to give the insight about the Malhotras, hope I did justice to it.

And, tell me about any two character whose relationship you adore the most! Spam me with your comments peeps. Again thank you for giving this book a chance!

______________________________________

Updated: 30/05/2021
Word count: 3950 to 4000

Aahhhaaan! Seems like you've read my story till this! Anyways, thank you so much! Don't forget to press the vote button!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

110M 3.4M 115
The Bad Boy and The Tomboy is now published as a Wattpad Book! As a Wattpad reader, you can access both the Original Edition and Books Edition upon p...