Hold You In My Arms (Stevens...

By Sarahbeth552002

Fiona Stevens has taken over running the family's ranch. The burden of keeping the Stevens family legacy stro... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25 (The End)
And So It Goes (Stevens book 10)

Chapter 22

10.1K 857 80
By Sarahbeth552002

One week went by and then another with no word from Henry. It worried Fiona on many levels. She knew whatever he was doing was dangerous and potentially life-threatening, but she also knew that he had meant it when he said he felt like that unwanted boy in a tree.

Fiona attended classes and had dinner frequently with Charlie and Kellan while she waited for word from Henry. At first, the personal relationship with one of her professors had concerned her, but being over thirty and having known them since she was a girl had somehow made it acceptable for those who found out.

Charlie had assured Fiona that Kellan had blurred the relationship between professor and student once before, and it had worked out all right in the end.

On the third week, at the beginning of April, Fiona had gotten an email from Henry that had simply read, 'Thinking of you, H-' It didn't clarify anything, but it had eased the ache in her heart.

The truth was she had messed up in her immature attempt to block her family from what they would eventually find out anyway, especially if her and Henry's relationship was as serious as she hoped. Either way, it had made Henry think that he was less and that she wasn't proud of him.

Fiona couldn't figure out how she was going to prove to Henry that she did love him and not the idea of him. Fiona thought she had made it clear when she had talked about following him across the country, but the reality was that she didn't have a lot to lose by following him. He was right when he had said that her family saw the world as a small place.

Fiona was in school, but only for another year, and when she finished that, she had no real commitments. She wouldn't be giving anything up to go to him. Half her family lived on the west coast, and he knew it.

Even after her talk with Laura, Fiona still wasn't willing to let Bebe and Lenora into that inner circle that had been mentioned. She liked them, but they were so much younger than her that she felt a long-lasting friendship was not in the future, and she was O.K. with that. One thing she was starting to realize was that there was an ebb and flow to friendships. Some people came and went, and that was a natural thing.

What she needed to make sure of was that Henry knew he was permanent. Fiona had loved him since she was six, and she would love him forever. Nothing he did or said would change that.

Spring term ended, and Fiona joined her Aunt Grace and Uncle Bryce in New York, their son Alistair was there as well, and he had been squiring her around town along with Beth and Wyatt.

It had felt good to spend time with her cousins again, and she was looking forward to the majority of the family being present at Aunt Cassie and Lily's concert. Even her parents were coming. There were so many of them they had to purchase two boxes to hold everyone.

Fiona pulled out all of the stops with her appearance in hopes that Henry would be there. She had curled her blond hair so that it fell in waves over her shoulders, her dress was a blue floor-length silk sheath that matched her eyes, and she had on her highest heels. She had even pulled out some of Aunt Laura's old makeup tricks to make her eyes look bigger and her lips fuller.

"I still say you should have let me get you into modeling," Laura said as she greeted her and Alistair with nods.

"She does look stunning, doesn't she?" Alistair agreed with a grin.

"What would you two like to drink? Davis is at the bar now." Laura pulled out her phone.

"Nothing for me," Fiona said as she smoothed her dress. She was too nervous.

Laura and Alistair started talking while Fiona kept her eyes constantly scanning the lobby. At one point, she noticed a woman who kept covertly looking at her and Alistair, and after a few minutes, she felt the need to point it out.

"Who is that woman over by the entrance who keeps staring at us?" she asked Alistair. He had bent down to hear her, and then he looked up to scan the crowd, but Fiona knew the minute he found who she was talking about because he stilled.

A look she had never seen on Alistair before crossed his face as his eyes scanned the woman. It was a mix of desire and frustration.

"That's Wyatt's friend, Katherine," Alistair said before he looked away and started talking with Laura again.

Fiona shot her another covert look as she thought that Beth was right to say that Alistair was interested. "She definitely remembers you," Fiona gave a slight smile.

"Why wouldn't she? She's going to filming that stupid ghost story show at the house in Kent this summer. I've been in negotiations all spring." Alistair thanked Davis, who joined them with drinks.

"What ghost show?" Davis asked as she took a sip of his.

The question started Alistair off on the story he had told Henry and Fiona last spring, so Fiona kept searching for Henry. Their little group slowly grew with the addition of Grace, Bryce, Alice, Rainer, and Mave.

"Oh look, here come Beth and Wyatt, and they're bringing their friend over," Fiona whispered to Alistair in a warning.

Alistair shot Fiona a bland look without saying a word. He had his poker face firmly in place as Beth started to introduce Katherine. Eventually, Mason and Finn joined the party, and they officially became the center of attention.

"Where are your parents?" Mason asked, putting his arm around Fiona's shoulder and squeezing her in greeting.

"They'll be here soon, I'm sure. They said they had a late flight." Fiona let her eyes skim the crowd once more and saw two old familiar faces, and she couldn't help the curse that escaped her lips.

"What? It was only a hug!" Mason insisted.

"No, it's not that," Fiona shook her head as she watched Stephanie and Clayton, along with Becky and Patrick making a beeline right for her. "My old college roommates, one of which is now engaged to my college boyfriend, are headed this way," Fiona whispered.

The entire Stevens clan still had super hearing as they all stopped and talking at her announcement. "Another boyfriend we never met?" Mason asked, interested.

"You've met Henry!" Fiona hissed.

"So he is your boyfriend?" Mason zeroed in on the slip. He was still a tricky devil.

"Hush, Mason!" Grace said as she shoved her elbow in his ribs. "We're not discussing that, remember?"

"No, I don't remember, and I'm sure I would never agree to such a thing." Mason hissed back.

"Fiona!" Becky cooed as she reached her and placed a kiss on her cheek while her eyes were scanning the famous people in Fiona's group. Stephanie followed her lead.

"Mason's hold court, as usual, I see!" Fiona's Aunt Lizzy said, joining them as she stole a sip of Davis's drink.

"Which one's the ex?" Mason whispered to Grace in a not-so-subtle whisper.

"That would be me!" Clayton said as he stepped forward with his hand extended. Mason took it as he looked at Fiona with a stunned expression that was almost comical.

"You traded up, I see," Becky smiled as she nodded in Alistair's direction.

"From Clayton? I agree," Fiona said, and Alistair almost spit out his drink before he started to cough on it.

"And he's an Earl!" Mason said, icing the cake by trying to embarrass his nephew as he watched Katherine closely while slapping Alistair on the back and stealing what was left of his drink. Mason had always been very adept at reading people.

Fiona didn't notice Mason's barb or Alistair's coughing fit because Henry had just walked in, and he was wearing his dress uniform.

Beth caught Fiona's riveted gaze and followed it to where Henry stood, scanning the crowd.

"Oh, he is something in that uniform, isn't he?" Beth agreed.

"An Earl is a step up from that cowboy you were dating," Becky laughed, pulling Fiona's attention away from Henry.

"You mean that cowboy?" Fiona asked as she turned her eyes back to Henry, who had just noticed them in the crowded lobby. "Excuse me," Fiona said as she left everyone and walked straight toward him.

Henry was holding his cover under his arm, and his uniform was starting to attract the attention of those around him, but his eyes never left Fiona as she walked toward him.

When she reached him, she stopped, looking up into his face. He looked thinner and tired.

"You made it," she softly said.

He smiled. "I promised I would if I could." He looked around him. "Everyone seems to be staring. Am I overdressed?"

"No, you're perfect." Fiona sighed. "I missed you, Henry."

"I missed you too, Fiona." His gaze searched her face.

"Are you still mad at me?" It was an insecure question but one she felt she needed to ask.

"I was never mad at you, Fiona, but can we talk about this when we don't have such a big audience?" He was still holding himself apart from her. He hadn't touched her, and his voice had little inflection.

"Sure," she agreed, biting her lip in worry. "Everyone is over here." Fiona led the way across the lobby to the Stevens clan, where he was passed around while being given hugs and kisses.

Henry couldn't hide his surprise when he saw Becky and the others who were still hanging around the fringes of the group, hoping to look like they were with them.

"No bell bottoms?" Clayton asked with a forced smile.

"No," Henry agreed as he noted Quinn and Dana Stevens's arrival with a nod.

"Mom, Dad!" Fiona greeted, giving them hugs.

Their greetings were being completed when the lights blinked as a signal for everyone to take their seats.

Fiona grabbed Henry's hand, and she was relieved when he held it and didn't let go. It was a small gesture that gave her hope. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

175K 14.7K 27
Katherine Randolph lives a dream life. She is a high fashion model and television host, but her success has come at a cost. She had to leave her moth...
1.1M 48.3K 29
Lizzy Stevens fell in love when she was just fifteen years old. The only problem was that she had managed to fall in love with her brother's much old...
474K 29.7K 28
Trinity Emerson has managed to escape a truly terrifying marriage with the help of her family. Leaving her home town of Savannah, Georgia, she lande...
478K 28.6K 33
Beth Stevens had visited River Moss Plantation when she was nineteen on a fact-finding mission. There she met Wyatt Ramsey of the River Moss Plantati...