Empathy.

By whiskay

Maeve Stilinski - the girl who feels everything. Disclaimer: I do not own any characters associated with teen... More

Prologue
Sophomores
Brooding
Wolf Moon
Invisible String
A New Feeling
Magic Bullets
Girl Disconnecting
Diazepam
Night School I
Night School II
Full Moon
Migraine
Wolf's Bane
It's What's Needed
Update!

Date Night?

652 15 6
By whiskay

"So you may have mauled someone?" Maeve questioned as she took a bite of her sandwich.

Scott put his head in his hands as Stiles rolled his eyes annoyed, "Emphasis on maybe, honestly though - where have you been?" he questioned his twin who was nowhere to be found in the halls earlier as the two struggled with this new dilemma.

"I had a dentist appointment so I met Scott's mom for coffee before hand and came to school late," the girl answered while looking over Lydia's chemistry notes since she missed class. 

Scott looked up at the mention of his mom, but Stiles was unphased, "Okay but we tried looking for you in the halls all day  and could not find you anywhere." 

Maeve's heart skipped for a second as she stopped eating, "I don't know, maybe you just weren't looking hard enough," but Scott could tell she was lying, "anyways we need to focus on figuring out what happened last night." 

Scott was going to point out that she was avoiding the topic when Lydia came over and sat down next to him, "figure what out?"

Maeve looked over at her best friend and pulled a quick fake smile, "nothing just a homework problem." 

Stiles leaned in towards Scott across the table, "why is she sitting with us?" Which earned him a kick from Maeve on his left. 

Soon enough all of Maeve's other friends were at the table, Allison across from her, Lydia on the other side of Scott, Danny sat next to Stiles - somewhat displeased - and Jackson came over and forced Brian out of the spot at the top of the table. 

"So I hear they're saying it's some type of animal attack. Probably a cougar," Danny spoke up as if they all were already in conversation.

"I heard mountain lion," Jackson replied as he sat back comfortably in the chair. 

Lydia corrected his fault, "a cougar is a mountain lion," but when she saw the look Jackson gave her she tried to play dumb, "Isn't it?'

Both Stiles and Maeve rolled their eyes simultaneously at Lydia's attempt to seem dumb, when both twins knew for a fact that she was smart, Maeve even knowing that she was the top of their class, and probably the whole school.

"Who cares? The guy's probably some homeless tweaker who's gonna die anyway."

"Jackson could you not be a jackass for a minute?" Maeve shot towards his remark, causing Scott to smile at the girl. 

"Actually, I just found out who it is," Stiles interrupted as he showed the video from the news with their dad on the crime scene, "check it out."

When the image of the man attacked came up on the screen as they identified the victim Maeve looked over at Scott, "Mr. Meyers...Scott wasn't that-"

"My old bus driver from when I'd stay with my dad," he finished for her. 

Lydia cut the silence that followed as she twirled a piece of her hair, "Can we talk about something slightly more fun, please? Like, oh, where are we going tomorrow night?" Which earned a confused look from the couple across from the twins, "you said you and Scott were hanging out tomorrow night, right?

 Allison slightly choked as she swallowed her food, "Um, we were thinking of what we were gonna do. 

"Well, I am not sitting home again watching lacrosse videos, so if the four of us are hanging out, we're doing something fun" Maeve knew what was happening and she was trying not to laugh as the three childhood best friends shared mortified glances.

"Hanging out? Like, the four of us?" Scott stammered while turning to Allison for clarification,  "Do you wanna hang out, like us and them?

 The brown eyes girl shrugged as she drank her water, "Yeah, I guess. Sounds fun," she replied, too afraid to turn down Lydia. 

"You know what else sounds fun? Stabbing myself in the face with this fork," Jackson snarled. 

"Ooh I volunteer," Maeve chirped while scrunching her face as Jackson rolled his eyes. 

Lydia ignored the altercation and turned to her boyfriend, "How 'bout bowling? You love to bowl."

 "Yeah, with actual competition."

Maeve blocked out the conversation as her phone went off:

Lahey: Wanna get snacks before double math with the most boring teacher in this school?

Maeve looked around the cafeteria before locking eyes with the boy, a smile forming on her face as she nodded.

Maeve: Absolutely, I'll meet you out in the hall by the vending machines. 

"Yes. In fact, I'm a great bowler," Scott's voice caught Maeve's attention to which she snorted at his words, not having read the seriousness in the conversation. 

"Sorry, couldn't breath for a second there," the brunette tried to play it off, but Stiles and her had to bite their lips to keep them from laughing while thinking of Scott's bowling skills. 

Maeve gave Scott an apologetic look, only to be taken back by Lydia's words, "What about you Maeve? I can get you date for tomorrow to come with?" 

She was kinda of insulted that Lydia thought she needed to go with them and that she's need her to find a date - considering the last choice didn't go well. Maeve also had plans that didn't involve her knowing but before she say anything Danny interrupted, "Or she could just take whoever she's been texting."

She almost choked on air, but quickly composed herself as all eyes turned to her, "I don't know what you mean Danny, I'm just texting."

"Oh yeah and that's why you've been smiling at your phone every time you get a text this past week" the boy scoffed. 

"Maeve Stilinski who is it and why haven't you told me about them!" Lydia exclaimed in slight anger.

"Him," Danny corrected, earning a confused look from Maeve on how he would know that, "you're more confident when you are talking with a guy, compared to girls where you tend to be more shy," that made the entire table look at him confused, "what? I've been her wingman enough times to notice the difference."

Stiles and Scott turned their attention back to the girl, all three of them silently shocked with this information, Stiles looking more betrayed like the look on Lydia's face. Jackson seemed concerned and Allison was unbothered by the idea of Maeve talking to someone.

 Maeve was processing the entire situation that turned on her too quickly, and Danny's revelation rattling in her mind about her behavior. "First off," she started her defense as she took a deep breath, "there is nobody," but Scott could hear her heart beating too quickly, "second, I can't tomorrow night because I'm babysitting," confidence finding her voice at the last statement.

Which Scott could tell was also a lie.

Everyone seemed to take in her lie, most still not believing the part of there being nobody on the other end of her phone, when Stiles turned to her, "Babysitting? Since when?" he questioned since he usually knew when she babysat.

Maeve started to get up, already feeling bad about Isaac waiting, "Since the other day and I'm going to need the car so..yeah, see you in econ." She headed for the hallway only to be stopped of a hand on her forearm.

"Jackson I need to give back Martha's history notes," she lied in hopes he would let her go.

"Who is he?" Jackson questioned with full seriousness.

Maeve was taken back, "What do you mean? Jackson I don't have time for this."

"Maeve, I'm serious who is he?" 

She closed her eyes as she knew where this was coming from, "I appreciate your concern, but I'm fine, you don't have to worry."

"Yeah well I didn't worry before and look at what happened," he scoffed, " just tell me who he is so I can-"

"What? Scare him away? No, not happening." 

"Maeve."

"Jackson." she said as sternly as him, "I know what you're thinking and please just let me see where this is going before you make your threats."

"But if he-"

"He won't."

"And if he does?"

"I can take care of myself now," she confirmed, "give me time, and I'll let you kick their ass if anything happens, okay?" 

He took a minute to look at her before giving up, "fine just don't be stupid."

Maeve smiled at the normally selfish boy, "You know Jackson, you giving a shit about other people, it's a good look." 

He rolled his eyes at her words but smiled when she left the cafeteria. Meanwhile Scott - who had been listening - was very confused at the encounter. 

As Maeve made her way down the hall she spotted the tall blonde by the vending machine, "hey sorry, had to get myself out of a triple date with Lydia, Jackson, Allison, and Scott." 

He turned at the sound of her voice and smiled when he saw her, "no worries, here I got your favorite," he handed over a bag of garden salsa flavored sunchips. 

"You remembered?" she smiled up at the boy.

He looked down at the ground, "yeah, of course." 

The two started walking towards their shared math class, Maeve popping open the bag of chips to eat on the way, "we still on for tomorrow night?" 

Isaac looked down at the brunette, "yeah...if you still want to of course." 

"Of course I do," she responded before nudging his side, "what else would I rather be doing on a friday night instead of studying molecular bonding and quadratic equations?" 

Isaac laughed at her, "I think literally anything else." 

She let out airy chuckle, "Nah, I mean I'm better at chemistry than you and you're better at algebra, I think it makes us a good pair for friday night studying." 

He looked down to finally make eye contact with her, his cheek heating up, "Yeah, I think it does."

...

Maeve was in the passenger seat of the jeep while Stiles and Scott argued by the back gate of school. She adjusted the radio station in hopes of finding something good, but ended up turning it off. Her hazel eyes watching in silence as Scott climbed the fence while her brother stomped back to their car.

"Every okay?" she questioned as he slammed the car door.

"Yeah it's fine..just.."he started as if he was going to complain about his argument with Scott, "why are you not telling me things?"

His question took Maeve by surprise, "What do you mean?"

He closed his light brown eyes and took a breath, ready to reveal what's been building up over the past few weeks - months even, "we used to tell each other everything, and then you started going to parties or Lydia's lake house over the summer, and you stopped hanging out with us..with me as much, and I hear things you know?"

Maeve bit her lip at her brother's words, his body turning to face her, "I'm not judging if you think that's it, but half the things I hear about whatever you were doing - I don't believe it because it's not you but hearing it, it sucks cause it may actually be true but I wouldn't know."

"And then today with whoever it you are or aren't texting, and the lying about tomorrow, and whatever that conversation with Jackson was about," Maeve was taken back that Scott had listened to that, "I just- we're twins, we're more than that, you're my best friend, but I just feel so out of loop with you and I hate it." 

It's like Maeve could feel the pain and sadness in her own chest as his words hit her, she tried to find something to say but the pain blocked her thoughts from forming words. She just sat there trying to catch her breath. 

"Is it because of Scott?" he finally questioned, Stiles had noticed something was different there, but he just brushed it off thinking his mind was creating feelings that would matched Scott's, "I noticed, the other night when we saw him and Allison in the locker room? You practically ran out." 

"I didn't mean to hurt you," she squeaked out.

Stiles took her hand, "I know, but I don't get why you just pushed us away." 

Maeve let out a saddened laugh, "I didn't want to lose him if he didn't feel the same, so I told Lydia I needed to get over it, and she spent the summer doing that - helping me get over him. It was just a silly crush anyways."

"Lydia has quite the method for getting over someone," Stiles joked and they both let out small chuckles.

"'They best way to get over someone is to get under another' - that's what she said," Maeve explained, "but I didn't though, I kissed a lot of people, but I never did that." 

"Get over him or sleep with other people?" Stiles asked confused.

"I'm still in the running for the next virgin Mary, don't worry," she clarified while looking out at the bus, "Just don't tell him, Allison is a great friend and they seem happy, I don't want whatever I felt to ruined that."

"Felt? So you don't like him anymore?" the boy questioned.

"No, I don't think I do." 

"Is it this new guy? You didn't even tell Lydia about him," the older twin pointed out.

Maeve smiled to herself, "Maybe, but I just want time to figure it out before I share it with anyone, he's not the most out going and I'd hate for Lydia to scare him." 

The two looked at each other as they laughed at the fact that Lydia can be terrifying, this lifting any tension in the air as they sat staring at the bus in silence.

Maeve sat up once she saw the flashlight outside the bus, "Stiles."

"Shit, shit, shit," he started honking the horn to catch Scott's attention, turning the jeep on once he came running out of the bus. 

"Go! Go! Go! Go!" Scott yelled as Maeve climbed in the back.

"Did it work? Did you remember?" Stiles questioned as he sped away from the school.

Scott was still catching his breath, "Yeah, I was there last night. And the blood - a lot of it was mine." 

Maeve and her twin shared a look in the rearview mirror, "so you did attack him?" she asked.

"No. I saw glowing eyes in the bus, but they weren't mine. It was Derek," he reveled, causing Maeve's face to contort in confusion

 "Wait, why would Derek help you remember that he attacked the driver?" She inquired.

"That's what I don't get."

"It's got to be a pack thing."

"What do you mean?" 

Maeve clarified for her brother, "Like an initiation. You do the kill together." 

"Because ripping someone's throat out is a real bonding experience?" Scott exclaimed with the same amount of sarcasm that the twin usually did.

 "Yeah, but you didn't do it, which means you're not a killer. And it also means that -"

"I can go out with Allison," A smile grew on the boy's face.

 Stiles shrugged, "I was gonna say it means you won't kill Maeve and I.

 Scott looked at the girl in the backseat, "Oh, yeah. That too."

As they kept driving Maeve stayed quiet, humming to the radio and looking out the window while Scott leaned over to Stiles in the driver's seat, knowing he wanted to have a talk about her behavior, "everything okay?" 

Stiles looked at his sister through the mirror, both smiling as her eyes met his, "yeah, everything is just fine," he answered, his eyes back on the dark road and a weight lifted off his shoulders.

Hi, here it is, twice in one day. I thought this one was cute, enjoy!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

227K 2.8K 66
πƒπ„π‘π„πŠ 𝐇𝐀𝐋𝐄. all imagines are written BY ME. please do not steal OR repost my work on other apps such as ao3 and tumblr. if so, i will report...
15.5K 134 8
Teen Wolf Madelyn Stilinski, the younger twin sister of Stiles. Love, emotions, hormones, sex, drama. A normal teen life. But what about the supern...
84.8K 2.3K 30
β€’~She loved so much she lost herself - and now she has no directions back~β€’ A dramatic turn has taken place in Clara's life and now she has to learn...