From Out Of Nowhere | Layne...

By MagickalGrunge

My paranormal/spiritual experiences with Layne Staley of Alice In Chains and Mad Season. This is NOT fan fi... More

Introduction (Please Read)
Mystery Man
Direct Contact
Layne Comes Back
What He Wants Us To Know
Q & A with Layne
Please Come in a Dream
Layne & Demri
Music From The Spirit World
Layne in Mediumship Readings

Alice In Chains Concert - '91

620 14 0
By MagickalGrunge

Sept. 1991 - This is the first weird experience I had with Layne and it was before he passed. When the Facelift album came out, I loved it instantly and I pretty much became an AIC fan right then and there. The music just grabbed me and wouldn't let go. I saw they were coming in concert with Van Halen to my city, so I went and stood in line at the box office in a department store. This was before the internet, so this is how you got tickets back then. I was shocked I ended up with 11th row seats! I had never been so close to the stage at any concert. So concert day rolls around and I just remember being very happy to finally be seeing AIC live. I was just planning on enjoying the concert and that was it.

 I was never particularly focused on Layne before this, he was kind of under my radar, a continuing theme with him.  Honestly, Jerry was always the one that caught my eye! My friend and I went and AIC took the stage at the outdoor amphitheater.  I remember being very focused on Layne as soon as he came out onstage, but I wasn't focused in a fan way. I was focused on watching him as a person and the way he moved, his behavior. It wasn't a premeditated thing, it just happened automatically as soon as I saw him. I couldn't really control it. I think I had read something about him doing drugs in a magazine article during the previous year. Why that stuck in my mind I have no idea, because duh, lots of musicians use drugs, it's nothing new.   At the time I was very interested in psychology and I was trying to figure out what made him 'tick'.  In retrospect, I was actually reading his mind/energy and I didn't really realize at the time what I was doing. I was trying to figure him out, his feelings and most importantly, if he was going to overcome his drug addiction. For some reason, I felt this was super important to figure out. 

What I felt from him – I felt pain, depression and isolation from him even then.  At this point in time, things had not become really bad for him yet. There was an anti-social feeling from him. I remember trying to figure out if he was going to make it or not, like if he would ever be able to come out of the mindset he was in. I knew his mind/attitude wasn't right. I sadly concluded that he wouldn't. I remember at the end of the concert feeling sad for him, because he just seemed so resistant to change.  I also felt very disappointed in him and even a little disgusted. His future didn't have to go that way, but he just didn't care. It just felt like such a waste and his attitude was so flippant and cavalier. It was like "I got this, don't worry about it, and get the fuck out of my mind". I just remember thinking to myself "Wow, this guy is going to let himself go down the tubes and he isn't going to do a thing about it." That feeling was a little taste of what those closest to him felt intensely for years, I'm sure.

I also got that he was closed energetically to what I was doing. He was like a brick wall. I feel on some level he felt me doing it, because he was very intuitive and sensitive to energies. I really doubt it was on a conscious level, but who knows, this is Layne we're talking about here! I was in the 11th row, but I doubt he actually saw me. It was very weird how I felt compelled to do that as soon as I saw him, I've never had that happen with any other performer at any concert, and I've been to a fair amount of them.  Only him. So, I came away from the concert thinking he was a flippant asshole. I never picked up on who he truly was - that sweet, funny, beautiful, deep guy, because he put up that energetic brick wall.

   Honestly, that whole experience kind of cooled my jets for AIC because I was so bummed from what I felt from him and what I knew was going to happen. I didn't have the same enthusiasm for them after that and I ended up getting rid of all my AIC CD's a few years later.  I never even bothered listening to the Mad Season album either.   Life went on, and I basically forgot about AIC and Layne.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.3K 49 15
a Dave Grohl fan fiction, not much more needs to be said.
4.6K 176 11
A girl from a small fishing town runs into a boy she used to know. Layne Staley fan fiction influenced by traditional gothic romance literary themes...
14.1K 680 40
Mike Starr visits Layne Staley on April 4, 2002...the day before his real life demise. Can Layne Staley's band mates save him?