The Black Cat in the Window (...

By MahogonyApples

Y/N lived a relatively normal and seemingly near perfect life. Since she was 10, she worked alongside her fat... More

Chapter 1 - Cafe
Chapter 2 - The Movies
Chapter 3 - Meeting The Avengers
Chapter 4 - Settling In
Chapter 5 - Laufey
Chapter 7 - Babysitter
Chapter 8 - A Shopping Day
Chapter 9 - His Offer
Chapter 10 - Runaway
Chapter 11 - Memories
Chapter 12 - Lies
Chapter 13 - An Explanation
Chapter 14 - Crash Course
Chapter 15 - Muffins
Chapter 16 - Bombs and Band-Aids
Chapter 17 - 6th Sense
Chapter 18 - 4th of July
Chapter 19 - Free
Chapter 20 - To the Compound
Chapter 21 - Soulmates
Chapter 22 - To Asgard
Chapter 23 - The Cure of Nergal
Chapter 24 - Royalty
Chapter 25 - Away to the Ball
Chapter 26 - A Little Full
Chapter 27 - Bed Booking
Chapter 28 - The Impossible
Chapter 29 - Ruins of Asgard
Chapter 30 - Final Dinner
HIATUS
-Break !! Please read !!
Chapter 31 - Home at last
End of book 1

Chapter 6 - Loki

3.5K 131 26
By MahogonyApples

Your bike stopped in front of a building, large words read 'Esta Café'. You had finally arrived. The café was closed, it was Sunday now and your father didn't work on the weekends, he was probably still in his sad stupor at home, worrying about you. You grabbed the keys to the café as you always had an extra hidden in the dirt of a small plant by the door. You stepped inside the darkened workplace. You had memorized where everything was, as you made your way to the back rooms, confident you wouldn't smash yourself into anything. You walked around the café for a bit, checking the window every few seconds. No Laufey. Had he been scared away for good this time? He had fled abruptly yesterday at the sound of your dads knocks on your bedroom door. You secretly wished he hadn't been so scared, otherwise this mission of finding him wouldn't be taking so long.

You decided, after a few minutes of stumbling around in the darkness that you would switch on the lights. You made your way back through the tables. You suddenly caught a quick glimpse of something green. You turned back around, staring directly at two glowing green eyes watching you within the blackness of the café. There. Sitting directly on a table was Laufey. You hadn't noticed him before as he blended in easily with the darkness.

You ran to switch the lights on. Still focused on the cat. You finally found him, now you just needed to make sure he wouldn't run away again. The cat watched you carefully, squinting it's eyes as you stepped closer to it. "How'd you get in here little guy?" You asked genuinely confused. When you had left Friday you made sure everything was locked and secured in its place. And the windows were also always locked. Was there a small opening somewhere where he could've entered? No. Definitely not. You practically lived there 8 years of your life. You had inspected every single corner in the café. You knew every hiding spot and secret passageway there was.

You pet the cat slowly, it didn't move, just watched you as you watched it. You almost felt bad. If this really was just a normal cat it was going to be seriously terrified by being suddenly snatched and taken to a foreign building where it was going to be watched and expected to turn into a god of some sorts.

And even if it was Loki, you still felt bad. Even though he had nearly came close to destroying the world, there was almost, something cool about that. Or maybe you were psychotic idk. You went back to your main train of thought: Even if it was Loki, you still felt bad. He was obviously scared and hiding, and he must've trusted you if he somehow ended up in your café. You had led the Avengers right to him. Exactly what he didn't want.

You sighed, giving the cat a sympathy face, almost a face of regret. It widened its eyes as the team arrived and pushed through the door. Laufey tried to flee but it was too late, Clint was already in front of you, holding the cat by the tail. Nat came in and helped Clint put him into a cat carrier where he couldn't escape.

Before you had left, Thor informed you that Loki could teleport, however there was no way he could if he was an animal in a cage. So the team and you formed an easy plan, you would find and distract the cat while the team arrived and captured him.

Well, come to find out, the plan had worked, as now you were carrying a cat carrier with a very very aggressive Laufey inside. He meowed loudly and hissed at every movement. It sounded as like you had just killed somebody. Scratching sounded along with everything else as Laufey was now trying to break through the strong plastic container walls. The inside was cushioned in case it was just a normal cat. By now an SUV showed up, you all gathered inside, you still holding on tightly to Laufey. As much as the hissing scared you, you wouldn't let anybody try to take him from you.

~
Loki's POV
~

I watched the girls sympathy soak into her face. Now, I realized what was happening. Oh Shit. Agent Romanoff and Agent Clint appeared in front of me suddenly. I was stuffed into a plastic container. How did they know? Had the god of mischief and lies just been tricked into getting caught? Over the last couple of days I had grown fascinated by the Midgardian girl. I watched her work and talk to other Midgardians at a small café as they called it. Occasionally she would find me outside the window.

I didn't trust her. I couldn't. I was supposed to be hiding but she interested me, I wanted to learn more about this girl. Big mistake I thought to myself as I fought to get out of the cage I had been smuggled into. "Let me out!" I tried to shriek. I realized I was still in animal form and had no way of teleporting elsewhere or transforming back as my 6'4 body wouldn't fit.

"Good work kid." A familiar voice sounded from the front seat of a vehicle, which apparently we were in. It dawned on me I was being carried to the tower as a ridiculous "cat". "Thank you." The Midgardian girl smiled. I quieted a little to hear their conversation.

"That's Loki alright. A cat may be hostile but never that much."

"Can he hear us?" The girl asked somebody.

"Yes, if you didn't know cats have ears Y/N" I almost laughed at that. How stupid could this girl be?

"Oops, I was wondering if it was different for him since he's not technically a cat. It's that way in movies." I heard her voice speak back.

Being in this so called cat form was not comfortable whatsoever. If the oaf saw me like this I would for sure be dead. Not by Odin but by the sheer embarrassment of my failed attempt of hiding. Thor would be reminding me about this event for the rest of my miserable life.

~
Y/N's POV
~

Finally you had arrived back at the tower, Laufey.. or Loki, had finally calmed a bit. The team rode the elevator to a floor which you hadn't seen yet. Tony ushered you all inside the cool room. It was a sound proof area, almost like a panic room. You dropped the cage carefully onto the floor and quickly opened the small cat door. The cat ran out and faced us anxiously. "You've been caught reindeer games." Tony spoke down to the cat, rolling his eyes.

It seemed to grin widely. There was a flash of green sparks, which you presumed as his magic. Standing in place of Laufey was a tall, slim but muscular man. He had bright emerald green eyes, blue outlined his irises. Sharp cheekbones shaped his face. He had long, silky looking raven black hair, it curled slightly by his shoulders. And he seemed to be wearing a dark green tunic and suit leggings and a few pieces of dulled armor. Woah, he was hotter than you thought. But you let that thought escape your mind. There was no way you could think like that.

At this moment Thor burst in, eager to see his mischievous brother. "LOKI!" He boomed, "Hello brother." Loki returned the greeting sarcastically. He was not at all happy. In fact, you almost could feel his anger radiating off of him. He looked around the room, only avoiding you. "I'm sorry brother, but we cannot risk your escape again." Thor announced stepping forwards as he secured a pair of heavy looking metal cuffs, which Nat told you earlier binds a persons magic abilities so they can no longer use them. Loki muttered something before he was grabbed firmly courtesy of Thor and Tony. You, Clint and Nat walked behind the three, as Thor and Stark escorted Loki to the elevator. Apparently they were the only ones who came along. Following the team towards the elevator, you exited into the living room. Thor dragged Loki aside to speak with him. A sense of sympathy flooded over you again, Nat seemed to notice, "He'll be fine." She reassured you dryly as she and Clint went to get some food from the kitchen.

Bruce and Cap reappeared coming from the lab most likely. "I see you finally caught the cat. Well done Y/N" Cap acknowledged you and strode pass. "Good job Y/N, Couldn't have done it without you." Bruce patted you on the back, giving you a compliment with his contagious smile. You could feel Loki's harsh stare set upon you. You quickly made your way to the kitchen, trying to escape his lingering gaze. You could practically feel him rolling his eyes while Thor was scolding him for escaping.

You most certainly weren't going to be going shopping any time soon like Pepper and Nat had promised. You didn't mind though, you still didn't want to spend their money. "I'm retreating to my room, cya guys." You told the team, swiftly backing into the elevator before they could answer the doors were already shut. You wanted to get away from that terrible glare of Loki's.

You didn't like people staring. It annoyed you heavily. Your stomach was finally getting used to all of the elevator rides since you had arrived yesterday. The doors opened and you made your way towards your chambers, ready to watch some Netflix.

You still felt slightly bad about outing Loki so readily. But at least you knew that the cat you thought was your friend was actually a hot homicidal god. "Don't think like that Y/N" You mumbled to yourself again, remembering that Loki was a criminal. Nothing more.

*

Hours passed as you sat in a warm chair watching Netflix. A blanket covered your lap, it draped over your feet and slumped onto the floor.

"Hey Y/N! Dinner's ready." Pepper said from outside of your door. You had sensed that somebody was there, it was confirmed when she spoke. Your hand automatically grabbed the remote and switched off the television. "Coming!" You called back to Pepper as you folded the blanket you'd been wrapped in. You heard her footsteps walk away. You set down the newly folded cover and exited your bedroom. You caught up with Pep and rode the elevator together.

Following Pepper, her high-heels clacking on the dark marble floors, you made your way to the dining table. Tonight you were eating hotdogs and hamburgers. Thor and Loki were already sat next to each other, "Let me feed you brother! Open wide!" Thor joked holding out a hotdog to Loki's mouth. You fought back a laugh, you hadn't heard what Loki said back as you went to retrieve the others from the couches, you were sure it wasn't a happy response though.

Everybody sat down finally. You sat at the end of the table, Nat and Clint on both of your sides. The silence burst into chatter and minor arguments quickly. Living with the Avengers wasn't the most normal thing in the world. You ate quietly listening to everybody's conversations. You glanced up at Loki. The cuffs had been taken off but in return were different metal restrainers cuffed on each of his wrists instead. He seemed to also be eating quietly as he death stared his food, not making eye contact with anybody. You had been watching him eat so sternly you zoned out for a moment. You didn't even notice him glance up at you as well. He happened to be at the other end of the table, giving a perfect view of each other.

Realizing he was watching you, you quickly looked down breaking the now awkward eye contact, you went back to eating.

*

Dinner had ended awhile ago. Everybody was propped up on the couch watching a movie. Loki had been given a book to pass the time.

"Hey kid, can you show Loki to his room?" Tony asked you suddenly

You looked up nodding, "Where is it located?"

"His room is the door over from yours. It's the closest unoccupied room from here. Plus you'll be able to catch him if he tries to escape again."

At this, Loki rolled his eyes, now watching Stark carefully but then returned to his book.

"Okay." You accepted the task and got up. "C'mon." You told Loki sternly motioning him to get up. He glared at you from behind his book, but reluctantly closed it and got up. You led him towards the elevator. "Be careful Y/N" Cap called after you. The doors shut before you could answer. Loki and you sat in awkward silence the whole time. 'Bing' sounded the elevator, as you stepped out onto the floor. Loki followed you as you strode past your own room to another pair of doors. "I'm going to assume this is the room Stark was talking about." You muttered, "Assume?" Loki raised an eyebrow frowning at you. "I only got here a day and a half ago Mr. Magic still figuring out where everything is." You quickly scolded him. He rolled his eyes again and pushed open the door, allowing you to see a bed, dresser and another room that looked like a bathroom before he slammed the door again in your face.

"Rude.." You sighed as you retired to your room as well.

(Published: 6/5/2021)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

217K 6.4K 43
Loki x Reader You live with the avengers. One day Thor will take you all to the Asgard. There you'll meet someone who changes your life. But soon aft...
196K 6.7K 37
Heavily edited as of 02/08/2023 Kathy is an immortal Witch working with the Avengers. He's an Asgardian God, forced into helping the team by Odin's...
45.8K 2.2K 62
(Very slow-burn romance) Cassandra Pierce led an ordinary life until she encountered an injured Loki in Central Park. A year passes before she sees h...
5K 142 33
Love is a dagger. It's a weapon to be wielded far away or close up so you can see yourself in it. It's beautiful until it makes you bleed. --------- ...