An Inconvenient Attraction

By GirlOfAPearl

Lady Elizabeth 'Eliza' Greystone is summoned from her finishing school to enter society. She catches the eye... More

Chapter 1- The Return
Chapter 2- The Prince's Ball
Chapter 3- A New Friend
Chapter 5- The Envy of Them All
Chapter 6- A Ladder Climbing Archer
Chapter 7- Playing Nurse
Chapter 8- Happy Birthday Eliza
Chapter 9- Fire
Chapter 10- A Queen's View
Chapter 11- A Little Kindness
Chapter 12- The Spinster Sister
Chapter 13- A Walk on the Tame Side
Chapter 14- Friends?
Chapter 15- A Wanted Woman
Chapter 16- A Bold Announcement
Chapter 17- The Waiting Game
Chapter 18- A Final Decision
Chapter 19- Making It Official
Chapter 20

Chapter 4- Horses

476 23 1
By GirlOfAPearl

Eliza took a deep breath.

Countess Cecilia Browning was one of the most beautiful women in existence. She didn't look real in some respects, with her almost marble skin and perfect posture. With her ash blonde hair and dull blue, almost grey, eyes, she looked rather cold. Everything about her bearing was flawless. It was at though she was a statue come to life.

Eliza wanted to at least introduce herself. Cecilia had been reportedly rather angry that Eliza got the first dance and had glared at her whenever they crossed paths. It didn't need to be a war, thought Eliza, she didn't want enemies.

All she needed to do was be polite.

The Countess sat watching some of the other ladies croquet, her servants seated around her in identical clothing so that she could stand out.

"Lady Cecilia."

Cecilia looked up sharply, her face cold and regarding.

"Yes?"

"I wanted to introduce myself, I am Lady Elizabeth Greystone. It's a pleasure to meet you."

Cecilia continued to glare.

"You're really as attractive as they say, my lady, you were beautiful at the ball."

At the mention of the ball, Cecilia's eyes flashed dangerously.

"Hmm, yes, thank you. You just returned from finishing school, yes?"

"Indeed."

"My father always said school was for girls with no immediate prospects."

It took everything in Eliza not to drop her mouth open in shock.

"At least you're back now, not too late for you, though I suppose you have to contend with your sister being a spinster. It must be embarrassing for you, having an elder sister not yet wed. You're not unattractive at the very least."

Eliza was gobsmacked.

"I could never be embarrassed by my sister."

Cecilia smirked slightly, "How quaint. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to watch this."

Eliza could do nothing but curtesy politely, rushing away quickly. She felt so angry. A real lady never showed anger but she could not help going red as a tomato. Cecilia had no right to comment on her sister's marital prospects, no right at all. Eliza had been raised not to insult one's family so boldly. It was rude.

She needed to cool off, she knew it. The stables were not far away.

Horse riding had always been a pleasure for her, one of the acceptable outdoor activities for ladies. Eliza was deeply fond of horses, such noble and intuitive. They always calmed her.

Greeting the stable master, she lifted her skirts slightly to avoid the mud and hay on the floors. As she walked, a handsome horse caught her eye.

He (or she) was huge, jet black with warm eyes. Eliza had never seen such a huge, stocky animal before in her life. It was a magnificent creature that seemed to still itself as she approached.

"Hello there," Eliza held out a hand for it to sniff. She wasn't about to pet a horse that didn't want it.

The horse sniffed at her, before its giant tongue started licking her hand. She laughed as she stroked its mane, its hair tickling her palm.

"Aren't you a sweetheart, hmm?"

"He's a good horse."

Eliza jumped, turning pink as Alex stood beside her, laughing heartily.

"You like to scare me, don't you?" she accused before remembering whom she was speaking to, "Your Highness."

"You would think that it gets less amusing on each occasion, but you would be wrong. Have I angered you?"

"No, it's not that."

"Are you alright?" Alex asked, looking genuinely concerned.

"It is nothing, I do not want to cause any trouble."

"If someone is bothering you, tell me."

There was something about his voice and pleading eyes that made Eliza want to trust him wholeheartedly. Alex was truly a charming prince.

"I introduced myself to Countess Cecilia just now."

"Didn't go too well, did it?"

"You can tell?"

"Countess Cecilia is not known for her kindness. What did she say to you?"

"Basically said I was at school because I didn't have marriage prospects and that I should be embarrassed by Hannah because she's still unwed. Her manner was so condescending too- she didn't outright say those things, but she made them plainly obvious."

Alex shook his head.

"I would not take it personally, she is like that with everyone."

"Even you?"

"Well no, she lays it on thick with me, but I'm not blind. I see how she treats the servants."

"It was hard not to take it personally. She hates me because I was your first dance at the ball."

Alex chuckled.

"Ah, the possessive streak. The Countess is sure that she'll be my bride. I can see why though. My father wants her for me- her family is the most wealthy and influential."

"I wish you'd choose Alice, she's so sweet."

"Believe me, I wish I had better options but my father is putting pressure on me to pick Cecilia. The other two are just for show, to make sure that we don't offend the other families. They're backup for if something happens. This is Knight, by the way."

Eliza suddenly remembered the horse.

"He's yours?"

"Yes, a grand beast. Great for hunting."

"We had to share at Whitehead, but they were good. My horse Blossom, she's just down there. I came down here to cool down."

"Would you like to go for a ride with me?"

Eliza looked surprised.

"Me? Now?"

"Yes."

"Is that appropriate...I mean, we're alone."

"There are guards crawling the place, it's not like we'd be totally unchaperoned. Are you really that worried? I promise I would never hurt you."

She believed him.

"Very well, let us ride."

"Excellent. Gerald, please prepare Knight and Lady Elizabeth's horse Blossom."

The stable master nodded, bringing Knight out of his stall and doing the same with Blossom. They led their horses outside onto the green.

"Here, let me," Alex rushed forward to help Eliza onto her horse.

"Thank you."

With Alex hopping onto Knight easily, he turned to Eliza.

"We can go through the path near the flower gardens if you'd like? There's a clear view from the path."

"Lead the way."

The horses trotted merrily along, both its riders silent. As Alex rode, he discreetly looked over at Eliza. She was an attractive woman, he thought, more warm and open than the more beautiful Cecilia. He liked her smile the most, and her openness. It hurt him to see her reaction to Cecilia, however inevitable that was.

"How are you finding court life?"

"Good, thank you. It is nice to be back with friends old and new."

"I'm glad to hear it. I assume you'll be going to the ball this Friday?"

"Of course."

"I hope you shall save me a dance, I'm sure that I may be fighting against your many suitors."

"I do not have many suitors are you say."

"I watched you at the last ball, men were tripping over themselves to dance with you, or at least have a conversation."

"You were watching me?"

"I said I thought you were the belle of the ball, didn't I? It was hard to look away from Lady Eliza, protector of small children and climber of ladders."

"Please do not strain yourself to dance with me, I do not wish to cause offence to any other women."

"You shouldn't worry about them, Lady Eliza. If they are jealous or upset, then that shows that their nature is mean. Most of the other girls are vying for husbands yet do not tear down other women in order to get ahead. The fact that you care about others shows you're better than those types. Besides, you'll only upset Cecilia. Alice is kind and Lavinia is an alright sort. I want to dance with you."

"Why?"

"I find you interesting. You're easier to talk to than the rest of them. Besides, you impressed me with your kindness to the village children."

"I'm only easier to talk to because I didn't know who you were at that first meeting. The others are just doing what they are taught is proper."

"True, but I just feel we've connected."

"Well, I think you're a nice person if that helps."

Alex chuckled.

"You flatter me."

"You're very good with your horse, you ride him well."

"I take pride in my equestrian talents. It is like who you are with your dancing, I feel riding is my special thing. Sometimes I do not know if people are complimenting me genuinely or if they're just being kind because it's me, but I know that I am good with Knight."

"I believe they are being genuine, Your Highness."

"Please call me Alex."

"I cannot do that."

"Come on, we're alone."

"I'm afraid I cannot."

"Suit yourself, a man can dream. Do you like to read?"

"Yes."

"You'll have to see the library at some point, it is marvellous. What's your favourite book?"

"The Tale of The Squire and the Maiden."

"Of course you do," Alex rolled his eyes.

"What is wrong with it?"

"It's a soppy love story. Girls lap that kind of thing up."

"There is nothing wrong with a love story, just because it's not about killing and destruction doesn't mean it's not a good book. Besides, it's well-written and the characters are fleshed out."

"Whatever you say."

"What's your favourite then?"

"Mr. Myers' Journey."

"I always found Jerard of Kova's stories dreadfully unfunny."

"That's blasphemous!"

"I find them crude and childish."

"You have no sense of humour."

"I have a perfectly fine sense of humour, it's just that his tales are not funny."

"What is funny?"

"I like Charles' Cabin."

"Oh come on, I never laughed at that even as a child."

"It's better than anything Jerard of Kova has ever written."

Alex shook his head, "Shall we let the horses drink for a moment?"

"Good idea."

Ever the gentlemen, Alex helped Eliza off of Blossom before leading the horses to the lake. As the horses lapped up their water, Alex and Eliza watched them from a short distance.

Just then, a paper fell out of Alex's pocket.

"Let me get that," Eliza volunteered. She picked up what was revealed to be an outstanding drawing of the palace.

"Did you do this?" she showed him the drawing, his initials scribbled at the bottom.

"Yes."

"It's marvellous."

"You don't have to say that."

"No, I mean it, I truly do. It looks like a court artist has sketched it."

"Thank you."

"You shouldn't lessen your talents because you think people are only trying to flatter you, Your Highness. You can draw and you can ride better than most people I know."

Alex smiled at her. She always seemed to make him smile.

As the afternoon drew on, the conversation continues with it. Both felt comfortable and at ease with one another as their horses trotted beside one another. Eliza had almost forgotten about Cecilia's cruelty.

"My Lord!"

They both looked up to see Gabriel heading towards them.

"Pardon the interruption, my lady," Gabriel nodded politely at Eliza, "The King wishes you to join him in meeting the naval commanders."

"Of course," Alex nodded, "I'm sorry we had to cut this short."

"Do not apologise, your duties are important."

"You owe me a dance, remember," Alex tapped his nose, "Lady Eliza."

"Your Highness."

Eliza watched him ride away, promising to herself she would not get too attached. She had her future and that of her family to think of.

Hi all, hope you enjoyed this one. Please check out my new story 'Queen from the Ashes,' for something a bit darker and more intriguing.

Next Time: the court ladies get ready for the ball together, Alex is determined to get his dance and there's an unspoken contest between two of the girls.

Thanks again and I hope to see you next time.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

197K 10K 21
The gowns, the dinners, the dashing young gentlemen ... every young lady dreams of experiencing a taste of life amongst the nobility. For Catherine T...
3M 130K 65
Lady Eliza Turner has no interest in finding herself a wealthy husband, she has her books, her best friend Charlotte, and plenty of opinions on what...
56.8K 544 47
' 𝘪'𝘮 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘴𝘤𝘢𝘳𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘰 𝘫𝘶𝘮𝘱 𝘪𝘧 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘸𝘢𝘯𝘵 𝘵𝘰' when nicholas and may get married, they embark on a new journey together. but wh...
67 0 39
After Christina decides to marry Elias, Elizabeth wants to go all out to win back her heart. With Duke Liam she has come up with a plan, but will thi...