When Fire Meets Gasoline | Wi...

By xonceuponatimex

Oliver Campbell just wants to have two more peaceful years at Hogwarts with his best friends before they all... More

Introduction
Graphic Gallery
PART I
chapter one | the great escape
chapter two | moving across the pond
chapter three | weasleys' wizard wheezes
chapter four | en route to hogwarts
chapter five | the warm welcome
chapter six | potions class
chapter seven | way down andrew goes
chapter eight | the shortest duel
chapter nine | little secrets
chapter ten | new missions
chapter eleven | an alarming discovery
chapter twelve | one's theory is another one's problem
chapter thirteen | letters
chapter fourteen | feelings and distractions
chapter fifteen | putting on an act
chapter sixteen | the library quarrel
chapter seventeen | holiday surprises
chapter eighteen | a heated train ride
chapter nineteen | the big christmas disaster
chapter twenty | the truth about healing
chapter twenty-one | overwhelmed with emotions
chapter twenty-two | openings and closings
chapter twenty-three | the morning after
chapter twenty-four | when it all spills out
chapter twenty-five | the final hours
chapter twenty-six | tragedies on the astronomy tower
chapter twenty-seven | a war is coming
PART II
chapter twenty-eight | switching sides
chapter twenty-nine | timing is everything
chapter thirty | a new addition
chapter thirty-one | the scamander house
chapter thirty-two | early risers
chapter thirty-three | london bound
chapter thirty-four | apologies
chapter thirty-five | inside the ministry of magic
chapter thirty-six | the fire pack
chapter thirty-seven | the long-awaited closure and peace
chapter thirty-eight | the risky journey
chapter forty | a memorable christmas
chapter forty-one | the departure
chapter forty-two | the betrayal
chapter forty-three | a new prison
chapter forty-four | oliver's interrogation
chapter forty-five | new arrivals
chapter forty-six | the aftermath at shell cottage
chapter forty-seven | the countdown begins
chapter forty-eight | going back to hogwarts
chapter forty-nine | in the corridors
chapter fifty | the battle begins
chapter fifty-one | fight to the finish
chapter fifty-two | escape from the turmoil
epilogue
Author's Note

chapter thirty-nine | moments that linger

66 8 12
By xonceuponatimex

"So what have you two been up to these last few months?"

Violet chuckled at Eliza's question, shaking her head. "A lot of running, that's what. After the Death Eaters invaded my house, we split up from my family and went looking for you guys. We headed for Dorset first, even stayed there for a little while, but we got attacked there as well."

"Yeah, we went there to see if you two were there," Jacob said, taking her hand. "The house was a mess. We also got your very vague note."

"That was my idea to leave one in the first place," Andrew spoke up. "But really, there are only so many places you could narrow down to, if you really think about it. I figured Hampstead was out of the question, so it was between London and Manchester."

Oliver scoffed in response. "That wasn't very clear in the note, Andy."

"Well, my bad," he retorted. "Anyway, after Dorset, we kind of just waited around in London, skipping around the city. We even ran into Harry, Ron, and Hermione. Apparently, Death Eaters also attacked Ron's brother's wedding the same day the Ministry of Magic was taken over by You-Know-Who." Andrew paused, letting out a shaky sigh. "I'm telling you, with more Snatchers rounding up all the Muggle-borns they can find, it's getting more dangerous."

"Just like your little stunt at the Ministry of Magic," Violet added. "Mind telling us what that was all about?"

Jacob and Mary glanced at each other before Jacob cleared his throat. "Well, to be fair, Mary and I didn't plan that incident, and your incident by the Thunderbolt Headquarters wasn't so discreet, either, seeing as Potterwatch reported about it."

Andrew rolled his eyes. "Yeah, well, we had to get your attention somehow, and it worked, because you're here. Speaking of the American, why is she here?"

"Because she's helped us," Jacob explained. "Many times, actually."

"Have you forgotten what she's done?" Andrew snapped, stopping in his tracks and spinning around to face Jacob. "She's the reason my family is dead, along with poisoning you and Ron Weasley!"

"I didn't have any involvement with the death of your family," Mary intervened. "That was my brother. If I knew he was going to do that--"

"You wouldn't have stopped him," Andrew interrupted, staring at her with hatred in his eyes.

"Yes, I would have," she replied, clenching her fists. "I'm not like my brother. Sure, I made some stupid choices while I was at Hogwarts, but I was given the chance to redeem myself, unlike Tobias."

Andrew let out a scoff. "Right, and I'm sure Malfoy's redeemed himself, too? What a load of bollocks."

Mary felt her blood boil. While she understood how hurt he was by her standing here, despite all that she had done, his comments still hit hard. It was nothing but anger, frustration, and guit. She wanted those feelings to vanish, to fade away and never come back.

All of a sudden, she felt a hand wrap around her wrist. She looked over to see Oliver standing there, giving her a soft glance as his thumb began to move in a circular motion on her skin. The more she stared at him, the more she felt her body relax, letting go of her fists. Every sign of whatever that was negative Mary experienced in the moment was replaced by something peaceful, which she hadn't felt in a while, it seemed.

But maybe things had always been like that whenever she was around Oliver, and she was just noticing it.

"She's risked a lot to get here, Andy," Oliver spoke up. "More than you even realize. We all get you're still pissed about what she did, but if you finally want some closure, then hear what she has to say."

He still held his glare when he paused before huffing a sigh. "I'll hear you out when I'm ready." With that, he turned back around and kept walking, not taking another glance behind him.

The others merely exchanged looks before Jacob, Violet, and Eliza followed suit. Oliver and Mary stayed behind long enough for her to give him a small smile. "Thanks."

"You're welcome," he replied. "Come on."

So they continued on to catch up with the others, with Mary tightening the grip on his hand.

*******

After much walking with no destination, the six could feel the soles of their feet ache with every step. Their stomachs began to rumble as well, much like the dark sky above them. So, they quickly agreed on heading back in the woods where they could guarantee their safety with all of the protective enchantments they would be able to cast over their campsite.

Once everything was set up, food was the next thing on their minds. They headed deep into the woods, weaving through the trees and listening to the rustling of the leaves and rumbling of thunder in the distance. Andrew did his best to keep as much distance between him and Mary, and Eliza went with him. Jacob and Violet were close by, swinging their intertwined hands back and forth, along with the occasional gaze and kiss the two would steal from one another. Oliver and Mary were ahead of the others, not saying much to each other.

The moment he grabbed her hand earlier that day, it became obvious to him that he found her attractive and his feelings were starting to take over. He thought at times his chest was going to explode, along with the words revealing his true feelings that could escape from his mouth any moment now. If that were to happen, then all he'd have to do is run farther into the woods and never look back.

At this point, it took all he could to focus his attention on finding food rather than the thought of having to keep himself composed around Mary.

As the two continued to tread through the woods, a few rabbits hopped by, which Mary made an attempt to use her wand to catch them. She let out a groan when her spell missed, causing the animals to pick up their pace and scurry away before another spell had the chance to hit them.

"Nice shot!" Andrew shouted in a sarcastic tone. "Just as rusty when we dueled last year!"

Mary's face grew hard, her nostrils flaring. "Jerk," she mumbled.

Oliver shook his head towards Andrew, then turned towards Mary. "I'm sorry," was all he could say.

"It's not your fault," she assured him.

"You're not rusty, you know," he stated.

She grinned. "Thanks. I was so close getting those rabbits, though," she said, flipping her hair back, then turning to face the boy. "Why don't you give it a shot?"

Oliver raised his eyebrows, then cleared his throat. "Well, there aren't any animals around."

She rolled her eyes playfully. "That's when you start looking for some."

"Right," he replied, nodding his head, twirling his wand in between his fingers. He could already feel her eyes on him as he glanced up at the trees for squirrels. Just when his neck was getting stiff, he refused to look back down due to his face now hot and red.

"Anything over there?" Jacob called out.

"Nothing!" Mary shouted back. "We're still looking!"

"Well, head back towards the campsite! The clouds are getting worse!" Violet warned them.

Oliver scoffed, letting his head back down. "Let's hope we can find something to eat on the way back."

Suddenly, Mary let out a gasp. "Hold on." She paused, creeping towards a nearby tree, going in the opposite direction of the others. "I think I see something."

"What is it?" Oliver asked, his pace quick and steady until he stood beside her. "Is it more rabbits?"

"Better than that," she replied. "I think it's a doe."

The anticipation was now running through their bodies as they made their way towards the animal. They treaded lightly as the leaves beneath them seemed to get louder with each step. The thunder occurred more frequently in a low rumble, but the doe didn't flinch at the sound of it.

"Let me try first," Oliver whispered, his lips close enough to brush her ear.

Mary slightly turned her head. "Don't screw this up."

He nodded his head, getting his wand ready to fire, when a loud crash of thunder broke out, causing the two to jump a bit from being startled, as well as the doe to shoot her head up and dash away.

"No!" Mary yelled, taking off in a sprint.

"Mary, wait!" Oliver attempted to call after her, his pace now aiming to catch up with her own.

Hearing the echoes of the thunder, they went after the doe, barely keeping up with it in between the trees. Through the turns that left them almost out of breath, the doe was just about out of their sight when the raindrops began to fall. Too far from their campsite, shelter was the next best thing.

The two frantically scanned around for anywhere as the rain came down harder by the second. Like before, running was their only choice until they found something. Fortunately, it didn't take long for them to discover an abandoned cave. By the time they reached it, their clothes were sticking to their skin, along with water dripping from their hair.

All they could do while they were panting in attempts to regain their breaths was tuck their wands inside the pockets of their jeans and stare at each other. But the panting turned into small chuckles, with smiles plastered on their faces. There was an agreement through laughter that their moment was exhilarating, where the adrenaline that pumped through their veins was nothing short of happiness, even if it was short-lived.

When the laughter faded away, the grins remained, holding their gazes at each other. The more Oliver kept his eyes on Mary, the faster his heart would beat. He realized that now, while the water slid down her face and her mouth was opening up, something had to be done.

Luckily, she spoke up first. "Can I ask you a question?"

He nodded. "Anything."

She took a deep breath, then continued. "Do you think you would feel something if we were to kiss right now?"

He raised his eyebrows. Don't screw this up. Don't screw this up. Don't screw this up. "I think there's only one way to find out." Oliver took a step closer, to which she still let her eyes linger on him. He lifted his hands and placed them on each side of her face, while she took hers and let them rub against his arms. For just one more moment, he took in one last look before pressing his lips onto hers.

Kissing Mary was like the rain. It started out slow and small before it gradually moved at a quick and heavy pace. While being caught in the midst of a rainstorm, there was something thrilling about it, and that was how Oliver felt as he didn't let go of their embrace. By how long they stayed that way, she wasn't ready to break it, either.

Merlin, this was nothing like kissing Hermione Granger. The sparks that had a rough jumpstart were finally igniting the passion between the two, letting their feelings be revealed.

After what seemed like countless minutes, the two pulled away from each other. With lingering eyes, it was clear to them that Mary's question had been answered.

It was evident that despite standing in front of each other, cold and wet, a warm tenderness hovered between them, with fire in their eyes that burned the deep flame that was possibly there all along.

A/N: THEY KISSED! AIDAJFJKFJKSDFJ I AM SO HAPPY.

It is past 3AM and I am SO happy I got this chapter done because it took me a hot minute.

Anyway, after thirty-nine chapters, were you happy this finally happened?

Song above is Fire and the Flood by Vance Joy.

Comment, vote, more soon!

-A

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

188K 5.7K 32
~ Year two ~ Warning; this is the second book in a series!!! This also will journey through all of the books / movies so if you want a quick read, o...
195 20 20
"Slytherin will help you on your way to greatness." How true that saying was for Draco Malfoy. Not only was he forced to become a Death Eater, but he...
322 69 38
Two Ilvermorny witches get a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to represent their school in the Triwizard tournament, but along the way they find their...
2.3M 73.1K 101
"Once upon a time there was a boy who loved a girl, and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering."― Nicole Krauss, "Th...