chapter ten | new missions

A night in the Gryffindor Common Room where it had been a bit quiet was rare. Andrew and Eliza were sitting in opposite armchairs, making attempts to read their Charms textbook. They found it difficult with other conversations going on around them. Groaning in annoyance, Andrew closed his textbook and slouched deeper into his chair.

"What's your problem?" Eliza asked, closing her book as well.

"I don't have one," he replied.

She pursed her lips. "Yes, you do. I can see it written all over your face."

He rolled his eyes. "I just wished that I was out on that pitch, trying out for the Quidditch team, you know?"

Eliza sighed. "I know, Andy, but that whole duel was your idea and your fault."

"I know, I know. I don't need any more reminders," he stated.

The two looked over at Ron sitting on the couch by the fire, while Harry and Hermione sat on the floor on opposite sides of his feet. Their legs crossed. "I have to admit, I thought I was gonna miss that last one," Ron chuckled, talking about the tryouts. "I hope Cormac's not taking it too hard." He looked down at Hermione. "He's got a bit of a thing for you, Hermione."

Hermione put down her newspaper and looked up at Ron, then shook her head, reading her paper. "He's vile."

"I think we know who is a better match for Hermione," Andrew muttered towards Eliza.

She smiled, thinking about Oliver. "If he'll just ask her out already."

Ron looked over to see Lavender Brown gazing his way, which made his face turn into a funny expression.

"Have you ever heard of this spell? Sectumsempra?" Harry asked Hermione, showing her his Potions textbook.

Andrew and Eliza were now curious, as the spell mentioned was the one Andrew almost tried out on Mary during the duel.

"No, I haven't," Hermione responded, sounding annoyed. "And if you had a shred of self-respect, you'd hand that book in."

Ron scoffed. "Not bloody likely. He's top of the class. He's even better than you, Hermione. Slughorn thinks he's a genius." Hermione shot him another look. "What?"

She folded her newspaper up. "I'd like to know whose book that was. Let's have a look." Hermione stretched her hand out for Harry to give her the book.

Harry closed his book and quickly stood up. "No."

Hermione, confused, stood up with him. "Why not?"

"The binding is fragile," Harry blurted out, trying to get away from Hermione.

"The binding is fragile?" Hermione repeated in shock.

Andrew and Eliza snorted. "Nice one, Harry," Andrew commented.

"Yeah, very smooth," Eliza added.

"Well, it is..." Harry mumbled.

Andrew looked at Ginny, motioning her to grab the book. She grinned, standing up from the chair and snatched the book from Harry's hand. Before he could grab it from her, Ginny had already opened the book. "Who's the Half-Blood Prince?" she asked.

"Who?" Hermione questioned.

"That's what it says right here: 'This book is property of the Half-Blood Prince.'"

"Sounds like a weird bloke to me," Andrew said.

Ginny threw the book back to Harry, letting him go to a desk so that he could read more of the book. Hermione and Ginny grinned at each other.