Lead to You

By victorianshawtty

"Dear Diary Now there is nothing but uncertainty around my future. I got married, to Ethan Carter.The merger... More

Aesthetics/Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Epilogue

Chapter 8

13K 461 13
By victorianshawtty

It's been a week since we got back to New York. Ethan lived in a penthouse--no surprise there.However, it was a beautiful place with minimal furnishings and modern interior. Floor to ceiling high windows were a signature in every room with dark hardwood floors.It felt like no one lived here, the place was practically untouched.Although there was a library with an art space, I jumped with joy when I discovered that this will be my sanctuary.

The only thing lacking was warmth--a home.

Another good thing here was Madeline, our house help. Apparently she had worked here for many years.She cooked and cleaned and exuded motherly instincts.I remember the time when I burnt my hand with coffee, she ran over with ice and asked me to be more careful. Might seem like nothing but it means a lot to me.

Ethan on the other hand barely noticed me.We had separate rooms obviously. We lived our lives just like we used to except when we had to put on a show for the office, to show people that we're in love. 

I am satisfied with this arrangement, everybody minding their own business, but sometimes when I am alone, those deep thoughts gnaw at me. Will I ever find a chance for true love? Will I have what mom and dad had? Will I have a family of my own?

Currently I was getting ready to leave for work.I was wearing my maroon pantsuit with  basic black pumps. I had a lot on my plate today.I needed to finish up 2 meetings within 4 hours and then get the everyday tasks done. If that wasn't enough tonight is also the official party for the merger announcement.Ethan and I--obviously--had to go together.

We hadn't really talked since we came back.It was like living with a stranger, considering the side of Ethan I saw in Hawaii, he was really cold now.Just like the beginning. Not like I minded, I just feel a bit lonely at times. Ava has been busy and Em was back in London for the month.

Liam and I hung out a few times and he was a really nice guy. Turns out he is younger than Ethan and wasn't obliged to join the business.His passion was photography and he travelled around the world, good for him. Zach was a fun loving guy.They were perfect for each other.Liam also introduced me to Ace, one of  Ethan's close friends.He couldn't meet me at the wedding as he left early but he was also a very polite and funny guy. Seems like Ethan is the only grumpy pants in their group.

"Have a good day, sweetie!" Madeline said as I left, "You too, Madeline!" I shot back and hurried down to the basement parking.

--*--

I was currently finishing some paperwork. Andrea was late today, I was a bit mad because she didn't inform me. She hurried in with my coffee, "I am so sorry, Ms.Evans," she shakes her head, "I mean Mrs. Carter, I had an emergency." She was shocked to see me already seated in my office.

"That's fine Andrea, just inform me beforehand.And please don't call me Mrs. Carter, I'm not comfortable with that yet." I sighed.

"Oh, okay." She nodded and left.

It was time for the 1st meeting , I got up and left for the conference room.Andrea followed behind to take notes. Despite the merger, we didn't make any major changes.Both the companies still operated from their original locations. We continued on with our individual projects with no interference unless we were assigned to. 

The day was certainly lengthy, I reached home at 5. Ava was waiting for me there, we had decided to get ready together. She still hadn't told me who she was taking her as a date, said it was a 'surprise'.

"Oh, hey! You're finally home."She jumped upon seeing me.

"Yeah, better start getting ready if we don't wanna be late." I said as I walked towards her and give her a hug.

We decided to relax first so we put on face masks and sat in front of the tv with some chamomile tea. "You've got a gorgeous house."Ava said while looking around.

"Thanks, it's not mine though."I spoke in a bored tone.

"Are you still hung up on this business deal thing? I mean, maybe you should try to move on and just maybe give a chance to this marriage.After all, both of you share so much in common regarding the situation around you."

"Please Ava, I don't feel like getting into all this right now. Can we just get ready for the party and enjoy ourselves?" 

"Okay, fine." 

It's better to leave things as they are rather than trying and screwing them up even more. I'm content with my life right now. There's a fleeting moment every now and then of loneliness but it'll be fine.

I don't know about Ethan though, if he was seeing someone or not. I, out of respect of this marriage or draw any suspicion had completely distanced myself from the dating arena.

--*--

"Oh my god, we look so hot."Ava said after taking the hundredth mirror picture of us.

I opted for my hair down with loose strands framing my face. As usual, I went for light makeup with highlighting my features.

Ava on the other hand, went all out.She looked gorgeous as ever.I think she was trying to impress someone  not that she needed any makeup to do so. With a figure and height like that she could outshine models.

I was wearing a silver satin evening gown that hugged my body in all the right places . It had a thigh high slit which showed off my legs and the 4 inch long strappy heels I was wearing. I felt confident.My tanned skin was definitely a bonus--thanks to Hawaii.

Ava wore a red dress which also had a high slit, it was off shoulder and accompanied with long black stilettos.

"We would make a very hot couple." I winked towards her.

"You know we already are a couple,"She shot back and kisses my cheek. I burst out in laughter.

We finally descended downstairs with Ava going down first and me following her. 

Wait what is Asher doing here?

I think I know who Ava's date is.The way they exchanged smiles, it was very clear what was happening.

My brother and my best friend! Oh my god, yes!

Before they could say anything I hugged them both. " You sneaky little bastards! Why did you hide this from me?"

"We didn't hide it, we just wanted to surprise you." Asher said while extending flowers towards both of us,"You both look beautiful, by the way."

"Thanks." Ava said shyly while blushing, very uncharacteristic of her. I see the two of them standing side by side, Asher's hand holding Ava's and there's this unknown burst of happiness inside of me. Maybe sub-consciously, I've always rooted for them.

"Where's Ethan?" Asher inquired. 

Before I could answer the question was answered in Ethan's voice.

"Right here," he walked out and smiled at Asher.

"Ava, Skylar, both of you look wonderful tonight." He said while giving us both a single red rose.

This was uncharacteristically gentlemanly behaviour of Ethan. The person who lived in the same house as me hadn't even bothered to say a 'good morning' or a passing 'hey' in the past week and suddenly he's Prince Charming.

"Alright then we'll get in the car."Asher said as he walked out with Ava. I grabbed the opportunity to have a good look at my date for the night.

Ethan looked like a vision. With his hair set back and him wearing a jet black suit which showed off his body, he was definitely the star of the show. The best part was his tie had a thin silver streak going through it, matching my dress. 

Must be a weird co-incidence.

As I looked back up after shamelessly checking him out, I was locked into his ocean depth eyes staring back at me in awe.Was he actually noticing me today?

Before both of us could comprehend anything, we saw a flash followed by a clicking sound. We both snapped our gazes away from each other and immediately looked at the source. 

Ava was clicking our pictures.

"I came back to get my purse and looking at you two, I couldn't stop myself. Now how about one with arms around each other?" She asked, looking at me cheekily.

"Let's save some of that for the party." I said from in between my teeth. She hurried out.

Ethan extended his hand and pressed mine into his.It was warm and large just like the day of our wedding. I could feel the cool metal of the wedding ring touching my palm. We didn't exchange a single word or even a glance before walking out.

The red carpet rolled out of the venue was covered with flashing lights and reporters with their mics extended. New York's two biggest architectural firms are merging, of course it's gonna be a big deal.

"Remember, we're madly in love." Ethan teases as he looks me straight in the eye.

"You don't have to say it twice, husband."

He scoffs, "Wife," and extends his hand after the chauffeur opens the gate for us. Stepping out we're mobbed with question about the merger, the marriage and tonight. All of the words were screamed and morphed into one. The glaring flashes didn't help my anxiety either.

And strangely enough, the only comfort for me was Ethan's hand resting on my back.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

200K 5.6K 61
"I need you to be the put together one because I'm so fucked up. You've saved me." He whispers. "Carter, we saved each other." I mutter looking at hi...
1.6M 49.9K 55
Highest ranking Millionaires No 6 (03-3-19) Deal No 3 (23-3-19) Feisty No 13 (05-6-19) ---------------------------------------------------------- ...
162K 5.7K 52
American man-Indian girl Arranged marriage love story Story in single line: Not a love marriage but love after marriage Anu's a girl who'd never bee...
1.1M 34.9K 50
I quickly turned away from him, to get the hell out of the room. But he caught my arm and pulled me back into his chest. Shit. Fuck. He buried his fa...