Incarnadine | Prequel to "Vir...

بواسطة ateezprecious

From fear to admiration. From members to leaders. From petty gangs to ruling the country. After young Hongj... المزيد

PLEASE READ
Prologue pt. 1
Prologue pt. 2
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
Author's Note

10

49 4 24
بواسطة ateezprecious

20th September
2005

Seonghwa looks around the area cautiously, not even having paid attention to anything as they were walking. It seems as though they are in a considerably darker area which also happens to be much colder.

"Our shooting range is in our basement, but we also have a bigger area outside. You'll probably be using this one for most of the time though," Hoseok explains as he rummages through shelves.

Seonghwa eyes the targets on the other side of the large room nervously, shuddering at the sight of all the holes. Will that be him soon?

He watches Hoseok approach Hongjoong with a small pistol in his hand. The man explains a few things to Hongjoong and Seonghwa takes mental notes of the information.

Next, he instructs the two on their posture. Seonghwa pays close attention but he still doesn't feel confident. Hongjoong, on the other hand, seems to soak up every single piece of information like a sponge.

The next thing he knows, Seonghwa is standing side by side with Hongjoong with a gun in hand, facing the targets that are about twenty metres away. He repeatedly takes deep breaths, concentrating on the sound of his breathing with his headphones on.

His eyes whip to the side by the sudden sound of the muffled gunshot. Hongjoong holds a satisfied smirk as he shoots into his target again. Both of the bullets barely hit the edge of the target, missing the middle greatly.

Seonghwa also decides to suck in his breath and go for it. He slowly presses onto the trigger, the metal feeling heavy in his hands. His heart jumps at the same time as the bullet leaves his gun. He gulps loudly as he tries to control his heart as well as the recoil from the gun.

He squints at the target and gasps loudly. Is that new hole near the centre really from him?

He jumps in his place at the feeling of a hand on his shoulder and immediately puts the gun down while pulling his headphones down. "Well done, that was really impressive! You seem to have a good aim," Hoseok laughs loudly, thoroughly impressed.

Seonghwa thinks back to the time his parents forcefully made him take archery lessons for a couple of years. Those really paid off after all, but for the wrong reasons.

"I-It was just luck," he timidly replies, avoiding eye contact. "Maybe...try it again!"

Both Seonghwa and Hongjoong fire at the targets for the rest of the day, growing addicted to the improvement they're seeing in themselves. Seonghwa proves that his first shot wasn't just luck, his extraordinary aim impressing Hoseok over and over again.

Hongjoong's aim isn't as astounding as his friend's, but that doesn't stop him from having a blast.

Hoseok innocently feeds Hongjoong his praise, while the younger child smirks devilishly. He imagines Hoseok and Hyungwon's face on the target as he shoots, providing him with more thrill than the gang members can even imagine. In Hoseok's eyes however, there's a young boy who gets excited whenever he manages to hit the target.

At last, the boys decide to call it a day. Seonghwa finally shows some relief on his face, having enjoyed the session more than he'd like to admit. He'd always been good at archery and missed it, but avoided telling anyone. He had quit because of one of his own stubborn acts, but only after did he realise how much he truly did like it. Guns have always terrified the boy, despite him not seeing one in person before. He'd seen them in movies and TV shows, the loud bang always having him on edge. Hearing one in person from Hoseok earlier in the morning had shaken him up quite badly, and even now it took him some getting used to.

But maybe it's not so bad after all. It's nearly as fun as archery.

As the boys are walking back behind Hoseok, the bubbly Hongjoong can't help but grow more excited at the sight of his friend's relaxed face. It seems like the little scaredy-cat is finally growing.

"You did well today, good job!" he cheers. Seonghwa allows a small smile to creep onto his face. "Thank you, you did too," he shyly returns. The boys gush over their training the entire way to the kitchen, entering alongside Hoseok without even noticing.

A proud smile forms on Hyungwon's lips as he watches them enter, satisfied that everything's going according to his plans. He flashes a look of satisfaction to Hoseok too, the two of them exchanging their emotions without words. Manipulating these children comes easier to them than they thought.

However, Hongjoong's mind races in silence as everyone eats. He continuously glances at his friend, studying his expression. He didn't think he was ready before, but maybe it will be alright to tell Seonghwa the truth after all?

Once everyone's finished eating, the two young boys return to their room. Seonghwa instantly goes to lie down, starting to feel sentimental again. Would his aunt and uncle be feeling too sad right now? He's been gone for nearly a week now, he wonders if they've given up on looking for him. Ever since those few days ago, the police haven't returned to the town to look for him again.

At this rate, his chances of escape keep getting lower.

"Hwa?" Hongjoong's small voice calls out. Seonghwa turns around in his bed to face Hongjoong, who sits alone on the wooden chair in their room. "It's 'Seonghwa'," he simply corrects.

Hongjoong ignores his request and straightens up. "Hwa, these old men are trying to use us because we're young. They're only teaching us how to shoot so they can make us grow up to stay in their gang. You don't want that either, do you?" he asks gently.

Seonghwa's eyebrows furrow and he frowns. He shuffles into a sitting position, this information coming as news to him. "No, I don't. How can we avoid it now though?" he wonders, growing even more sad at the thought of being forced to do bad things for this gang.

"I was thinking...what if we use them for their training they're giving us and then we can leave together when the time is right?"

Seonghwa's eyes fill with a little bit of hope again. "So I can finally see my aunt and uncle again?" he brightly asks, growing more motivated. Hongjoong bursts out with laughter in response, causing Seonghwa's hope to deflate a bit.

"Of course not, you're still staying with me!" he wheezes, laughing even harder at the sight of the tears now welling up in Seonghwa's eyes.

The older boy's shoulders slump. He nearly forgot that even if he's free from this gang, he still has Hongjoong to deal with.

But Hongjoong's words plant a seed of determination in him. Hongjoong's plan sounds good for now, so who is he to disagree? Getting away from one dangerous creep is surely easier than getting away from a whole gang of creeps. He can worry about Hongjoong in the future, getting away from these grown men looks tougher. Especially after hearing what Hoseok did to that man earlier on.

"I'm going to sleep," Seonghwa mumbles grumpily, returning to his previous position on the bed. Now he just feels a bit bitter alongside the familiar solemn emotion.

Hongjoong smiles to himself as he approaches his bed too, but with different thoughts in mind. Once he's out of here, the first thing he's going to do is go back home.

How would Jangmi react when she sees his face again? He hopes she hasn't forgotten him. He can't wait to squeeze her plump cheeks and play with her again. Her loud giggles were nearly a sort of therapy to the boy, the only brightness he experiences in this world. She's the embodiment of purity.

He hopes she didn't get too upset after the passing of their mother.

He restlessly tosses and turns in bed while thinking about all the possibilities. It's been six months since he's seen her last, could she have perhaps gotten a new hairstyle? What if she had a change in personality?

No, she should stay as the sweet and loving girl he remembers her to be. She's so loving that she earns the love she recieves in return. Hongjoong wishes for her to be loved the same way for her whole life.

From now on, he'll visit his sister more frequently. His biggest regret is not spending more time with her in the past, even though he had no choice. But now that he's free, he'll finally get to be the older brother he's always dreamt of being.

It may not be completely safe to return to his town yet. The psychiatric hospital probably know for certain that he's the one who murdered his nurse. If anyone catches sight of him, he'll get into deep trouble and will certainly never see his sister again.

It'll be risky, but he can't wait any longer. He has to at least drop by to say hello. His thoughts take a dark turn when the image of his father's face flashes through his mind, however.

He won't touch his father yet, he can only afford to stop by briefly for Jangmi. His father is safe for now.

For now.

A/N
SORRY I FORGOT TO UPLOAD YESTERDAY but I hope everyone has an amazing 2022!!! <3 I'm proud of you for getting through 2021 :)

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

76.5K 3.5K 25
*THIS STORY WILL BE RE-EDITED* Being sheltered by his father all his life, Wooyoung grew up alone, but when San was assigned to be his personal bodyg...
1.1M 67.2K 90
{COMPLETE} if there's something i've learnt from a million mistakes, you're the one that i want at the end of the day. seongjoong au where seonghwa...
82.1K 6.2K 31
We are all connected, even though our paths have never crossed before. "Let's play a game, shall we? I will count to 20 and you can run away from me...
102K 3.7K 33
as a girl who manages to travel between parallel universes as she pleases, she is being chased down by a mafia who can do the same. 8 boys who are in...