Crimson Queen

By Mama_Kas

Vampires have risen from their graves and crawled out of the shadows. The world is at war and the Church has... More

Crimson Queen
Sin
Michael
Last Salvation
Traitor
Shades of Gray
Question
Blood
Poison
Not Enough Time
Damnation
Failure
Slave
One Last Job
Last Resort
Silver Chain
Not Yet
Vengeance
Guilt
It's Over
Last Request

Unfinish Business

629 44 4
By Mama_Kas

Hey. I know it has been awhile since I updated. School has just been too busy but I took the time to get this part in. A recap: Lucinda's new body had taken her to the vampire nest where her maker tells her to feed. Meanwhile, Michael and the Holy Knights get to work.

------

Dark billows of smoke spiraled upward to the dawning sun. The bright and colorful sky did nothing to brighten the faces of the survivors. Not once did Michael look away from the scene. He burned the image into his mind. This was his fault and he would never let himself forget it. He should have known it was all too easy. Finding Lucinda, saving the townsfolk, why did it never occur to him it was all part of some twisted plan – a plan he hadn’t began to figure out. What were the vampires planning?

Michael’s hands curled into fists. The dried blood cracked and peeled from his skin. It had taken hours for him and the Holy Knights to go through the town killing all the vampires and gathering the victims at the center of the town. With the help of the survivors, they had built a pyre where all the infected bodies were gathered around and burned. The population of Kanya was dwindling into extinction.

A hand clasped his shoulder. “Let them mourn,” Gabriel said. “We have work to do.

Reluctantly, Michael turned away but the image haunted his steps.

….

Michael sat across Gabriel as they all waited for the Innkeeper to bring their tea. The sun had lowered and was soon to set. Gabriel had given him the day to rest but that had been far from his mind. He had spent hours thinking about Lucinda’s whereabouts. Upon speculation, he had come to the conclusion that she would have gone to the nest; if he managed to track her down; this whole ordeal would come to an end. Michael would be able to liberate her, only then could he retire knowing that he would spend the rest of his days repenting for his mistakes.

The hours of silence had given him plenty to think and even now Lucinda’s words echoed in his mind; the Sheriff was working with the vampires. He didn’t see a way to tell the Holy Knights of the information; not without revealing his source. Few, if not none, of the found townsfolk remained. To track them down now; many of the citizens had already packed their belongings and left for the next town. Kanya was as good as deserted. Without proof, Michael wouldn’t be able to do anything.

At long last the Innkeeper walked in carrying a steaming pot and four mugs. The silence continued as the tea was poured for each of them. With an awkward bow, the Innkeeper walked out.

“What is your report concerning the disappearances of Kanya?” Gabriel asked.

Michael took a few moments to gather his thought before speaking. “Sir, upon my investigation, I conclude that the enemy was taking civilians from the jail; the cells were empty upon arrival. Though we have a great threat before mankind, there are still fools who wish to break the law. In this town there weren’t any. I overheard the enemy declaring its intelligence. I also decided that perhaps the Sheriff had something to do with this but I wasn’t able to further my investigations.”

“Father David commented on that,” Daniel said. He stood near the window keeping vigilance of the street. “You saved a sinner from their punishment.”

“The Order has fought for many decades to dwindle the ranks of our enemies,” Michael said. “I didn’t want to add one more member to their rank.”

“You could have cut her in half,” Joseph said. “Punished and released.”

“She was misguided,” Michael said. “My judgment was merely that of quick thinking.”

“Continue with your report,” Gabriel said.

“Lucinda was told to stay in her house but when I checked on her, she was gone.” He didn’t mention Crimson Queen, Lucinda’s sword which he had expertly hid from the Holy Knights. As far as he was concerned, that sword had no business entering the conversation.  “I was attacked by vampires,” Michael continued. “I was able to find out that she had been kidnapped. On my way to find her, I ran into the Sheriff.” He hesitated. “I don’t trust him. He appears at the correct moment and disappears at others. He wasn’t part of the citizens tonight.”

Michael finished his tale and stayed silent. He was prepared for them to ask whether he checked the townsfolk for any signs of the evil transformation; he hadn’t checked but as he pulled them up one by one, that was enough for him to determine that they were still human. Before Michael could search for Lucinda, he had to make safe what was left of Kanya.

“What happened to the girl?” Gabriel asked. “Was she among the townsfolk?”

Michael swallowed. Lying to the superior Knight and Captain was a severe punishment. But he knew of no other way to explain Lucinda’s situation without rapid judgment from the three.

“No,” he finally said. “She wasn’t. I can only assume that she didn’t make it. I don’t know if her body was among the burned.”

“If she has joined the enemies rank,” Joseph said. His hand dropped to the dagger at his hip. “There is only one thing left for us to do.”

“Let’s move on to more pressing matter,” Gabriel said. He folded his hands on the table. “What we thought to be mere isolated attacks are in reality part of a bigger plan. There have been many towns, like this one, suffering from abductions by vampires. We have enough evidence to believe those fiends are creating an army. We don’t know how long they have been working for this but the Vatican doesn’t want to lose any more lives to them.”

“Why did the Church send three elites to this town?” Michael asked. “I would have thought they would have sent you to a more strategically located town.”

The three Holy Knights shared a glance.  “The Vatican believes the vampire in charge of this region is here,” Gabriel said. “We are to capture it and bring it before the Church for questioning.”

Daniel stepped away from his spot, squaring his shoulders. “Which means that you’re no longer needed,” he said. “By tomorrow, we ask you to pack your belongings and head back to the Church for further instructions.”

A rising panic crowded Michael’s throat. He couldn’t leave; not with Lucinda as a vampire. He was to blame for letting her become a monster.

Michael turned to each one of them. “Is there no way I can be of use?” he asked. “This was my mission and I want to see it through.”

Gabriel smiled at him sympathetically.

“You have failed once already,” Daniel said. There was warmth in his eyes but his tone remained stoic. “We can’t afford any more blunders. Your mistake has caused many people their lives. What you need to do is ask for forgiveness, if it is right that it should be granted to you.”

Michael was speechless. How could they simply come to town and proclaim themselves masters of Kanya? They didn’t know the people’s struggles like he did. Michael had been with them for almost every step of the way.

“Gabriel,” he said. “You can’t do this. I’ve been helping these people. I can’t abandon them; not after everything that I have done for them.”

“It isn’t up for debate,” Gabriel said coldly. “These are you orders. I suggest you follow them or join the bodies on the pyre.”

Michael reign in his anger. He had to think. He had to stay in town. There was so many things that he still needed to do; he had to find Lucinda and grant her salvation. He had to stop this vampire menace.

“I understand,” Michael said, “but I ask that you rethink your decision. I want to further investigate the Sherriff. I won’t stand in the way of your search for the vampire master. I just ask that justice be served to those who deserve it.”

Gabriel picked up his mug and took a sip of his tea. The silence stretched for a few minutes. Michael glanced repeatedly at Daniel and Joseph. The latter had started digging out the blood from underneath his fingertips with a knife.

 “Joseph,” Gabriel finally said. “Accompany Michael to the Sherriff’s home. Keep watch on the man.” He looked at Michael. “I’ll give you two days to find evidence that ties him to his involvement with the vampires,” he said. “Otherwise, you’ll be leaving this town.”

“Thank you,” Michael said. “I won’t disappoint you.”

---

That's it for now. I hope you enjoy the chapter. For those who have been patiently waiting and reading this story. Thanks so much. And if you really like it, don't forget to like or comment. Thanks.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

73 0 13
Peace was one thing. Oblivion is another thing. And in this world, there has never been peace. Humans have not just realized that, nor have the vampi...
161K 3.3K 34
Meet Raven Night. She's 17. At school, she gets bullied because she's a "nerd". No one knows her past and she tends to keep it that way. During the d...
96 0 7
Disclaimers: -gore -implied gore -talks of gore -heavy gore -violence -murder -horror -thriller -fictional race racism -domestic violence and abus...
1.1M 39.1K 30
What if the Bible has it all wrong about the Anti-Christ? What if this person is female and what if she actually has a choice? Meet A.C. a.k.a An...