But Now, I Know

By IgnatiousTheWarlock

Post the battle of Camlann, Morgana mourns the loss of Mordred. However, before she can pursue Merlin and Art... More

Another Way For Vengeance
Beginning A Second Chance
Armed With The Future
An Unexpected Interaction
I Couldn't Save Her
Time Is Impatient
The Fires Of Idirsholas
Where The Hell Is Merlin?
Enemy Of The Enemy
The Sword In The Lake
The Lady In The Lake
Incitement And Escape
An Hour's Promise
Merlin, Kyulds, and Emrys
Unburying A Dragon
Placing The Blame
Death Without Dying
Doom Before Destiny
Epilogue

Cause And Effect

841 42 2
By IgnatiousTheWarlock

"I have magic too!"

No, no, no, no, no... This was not what he was supposed to do. "What?"

"I was born with it... I could move objects around with my mind before I could even talk. I couldn't control who I was, just like you! People in my village... they didn't like it. It's why I had to leave Ealdor, leave my mother... She sent me here so Gaius could help me control it. I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, Morgana... I should have told you a long time ago, but... I was afraid." His eyes were full of shame. 

"I-"

"Please, Morgana. This... th-" he clutched his head. "This is... 's not the way." His body could no longer strain against Morgause's powerful spell. His breaths were deep and ragged. "Morgana...? Stop this... I understand... but it's not the way... please tell her to stop this..."

"I'm afraid that won't be possible," she said coldly. 

He furrowed his brow in confusion, startled by her shift in tone. "Wh- what's going on? What do you mean? It's-"

"You should have done it, Emrys. You should have killed me when you had the chance."

His eyes widened further. 

"It was not meant to happen this way."

"What are you...?" he couldn't finish the sentence. He held onto the wall, attempting to steady himself to no avail. He slid down the stone, landing in a heap on the floor. Morgana knelt next to him, meeting his wide blue eyes. "Mor-"

"Shh..." She put a finger to her lips. "There's no point... is there... you've made things more difficult for me, Emrys."

"How..."

"How do I know? You wouldn't believe me if I told you."

The doors burst open and Arthur stumbled in, barely managing to close the heavy doors and lock them, before falling to the floor. 

"What have you two been doing?!?" he gasped. "The cart's ready and I've been calling!" His eyes fell on the near unconscious Merlin on the floor. "Wake him up!" he stumbled over.

"The rope we made is not long enough!" Morgana managed, slipping back into her helpless demeanor. Then he just fell, he's not getting up!"

"Merlin!" Arthur yelled in his face. The boy reached out and grabbed Arthur's shoulder with as much strength as he could muster.

"Arthur... she's... she... the source..."

"She? Yes, I know Morgause is behind this. I saw her." He clutched his head, struggling against his own feelings of exhaustion. "You have to get up!!"

This time there was no response from the boy. His arms dropped to his side and his eyes rolled into the back of his head. 

"Merlin!" Arthur shook him, slapped him even, but it was no use.

"There's no point!" Morgana said. "He's asleep! There's no waking him now."

"Dammit!" Rage and frustration bubbled in the prince's voice. He set Merlin down gently on the floor and stumbled to the window to examine the rope for himself. He cursed under his breath as he realized Morgana was right, the rope would never reach the cart safely. He looked wildly around the room, searching for any other method of escape. Bangs echoed from the other side of the door. He hit the wall with his fist, releasing his rage and frustration. "Morgana we have to-"

The doors burst open once more, collapsing under the strength of the seven knights. Flecks of dust and splinters flew through the room and midst the dust Morgause strode confidently into the chamber, the seven knights of Medhir standing menacingly behind her. Their expressionless stares carved trenches into whoever was unlucky enough to fall into their gaze. 

Arthur tensed and tried to muster a position ready for battle, but the spell already had a firm hold on him. His outstretched arm trembled under the weight of his own sword. 

"Mor- Morgana, get behind me!" he stuttered. 

Morgana didn't move. She locked eyes with her sister. "I've made a mistake," she communicated with her mind. "Emrys didn't poison me. Things changed too much." Morgause's eyes twitched slightly in surprise. 

"Morgana!" Arthur tried again.

This time she shrank back behind the prince, realizing it would be best to remain undetected as his adversary. 

Morgause smiled. "Prince Arthur, we meet again. I regret that it is under more... strenuous circumstances."

"The circumstance is just as strenuous, your intent just as malicious!"

"Oh, but you're wrong," she said, feigning offense. I simply allowed you to speak with your mother again. I had no control over what she told you."

"She fed me lies! My father would never hurt my mother, he would never turn to magic!!"

She smiled wickedly. "Whatever you choose to believe."

"I'm warning you, Morgause. Stay back!" He held the quivering sword aloft. 

She laughed at his vain attempts to defend Morgana, his servant, and his father. "How much longer do you really think you can hold out. A minute perhaps? Maybe two?"

"For as long as... it takes..." 

She approached him with mocking pity, but stopped when she reached the sleeping form of Merlin. She kelt down next to him. 

"Stay away from him!"

"I don't think you're in any position to make demands. I will do what I wish." She pulled Merlin's limp form up by his neckerchief, amused by his helplessness.

"Leave him alone!!" Arthur yelled. He flung himself with all his strength at the sorceress. She simply waved her hand, eyes ablaze, sending him careening back into the wall. He cried out in pain and fell to his hands and knees. Morgana shuffled backward as to avoid any collision. Morgause stalked toward the wounded prince, crouching down next to him and holding his chin up with her hands. She smiled as he struggled weakly. 

"There's no use, Arthur."

The princes eyes drifted close as his entire body became limp. Morgause let go of his chin, letting him fall to the ground next to Merlin. As soon as he was asleep, Morgana ran to her sister. 

"Something went wrong! I did something wrong! He didn't poison me! Things are changing! What am I supposed to do now?!"

"Calm down, Morgana! Panicking won't do us any good!"

"Why can't anything go right! Why, after everything, am I still failing time and time again!!??"

"MORGANA!!" 

The yell quieted her. 

"We should not see this as a failure. The greatest aspect of strength is the ability to adapt to changing circumstances. Our initial plan did not turn out as expected... it just means we have to try something new."

"But if he never poisons me, then..." Morgana didn't finish her sentence. In truth, she didn't know how she felt about taking her revenge on the Merlin of this time. This Merlin had been nothing but kind to her and had even revealed his secret with the intention of helping her. It was with this revelation that she realized how close the boy must have been to telling her the first time, how even the smallest of changes affected his decision. Torturing or even killing him wouldn't feel right, it wouldn't feel as sweet. In her wildest dreams, she imagined the pain and regret that would shine through his eyes in his final moments. But there was nothing for this Merlin to be sorry for, no grudge to settle, no vendetta to make even. She didn't say this, considering it a weak thought. Merlin was destined to be her doom. One way or another, he would give her a reason to hold a grudge. The logical thing to do would be to take care of him before he could give her a reason to hate him, rip the maple seed from the ground before it could sprout any roots. 

"Morgana?"

"Yes, sorry. I was just thinking."

"And?"

"We can't leave him here. He already knows I'm working with you. If I leave with you for a year, he will not buy that you kidnapped me. He might be able to convince Arthur."

"Since things have clearly departed from your original timeline, I think it best that you don't stay with me for the next year. Having no ally at court will leave too many things in the dark. We need to know what's going on inside the citadel."

Morgana nodded. "I agree. As much as it pains me to say it, I must remain here. But how can I grow my magical skill if you're not around to guide me?"

Morgause furrowed her brow. "Perhaps..." she turned her head and focused on the still form of king Uther, who was on the floor by the throne. "Perhaps, I won't need to leave you."

Morgana followed her gaze. "What do you mean?"

"Can we agree," she began. "That the death of king Uther would best be... delayed until we can work it in to a greater plan. A plan that will surely bring us long lasting victory."

"I suppose so..." Morgana said, uncertain. 

Morgause put a hand on her shoulder. "I know you wish to see him suffer, and you will, but killing him now, when we're in such a moment of uncertainty would be most unwise."

"You're right. Of course you're right," she said, reluctantly. 

"However, he cannot be left to rule to his own devices..." The enchantress removed a bedazzled   pendant from around her neck. Morgana watched as it swung gently from her finger tips.

"But if the king wasn't in his own mind..."

"Exactly right, Morgana."

"Sister, you would be able to remain undetected in his chambers. I will be able to seek your council whenever I wish."

"That you would."

"What about Merlin?" Both women stared at the sleeping form of the boy at their feet. "As I said, we can't leave him here, and we can't underestimate him. He may be able to break through any restrictive enchantment you place on him. There have been many times I've placed a powerful spell on the boy, only for him to break it through."

"Why don't you just kill him now?"

Morgana froze. Why shouldn't she just kill him now? "I don't know... I'd like to wait..."

"Wait for what?"

"I'm just... I'm just not ready. I want him to suffer as I suffered before he meets his end," she said, although she was unsure. 

"Keep in mind the danger. If this boy is destined to be your doom, then destiny will do anything it takes to ensure it. Killing him now would eliminate that threat entirely."

"I know... I know..." she bit her lip, trying to find the words. "But he just hasn't done anything!"

"What do you mean? You said he was the reason for all your suffering."

"He was... maybe. After Camlann, I wanted nothing more than to see him dead, but seeing him like this again... trying his hardest to be my friend and to help me, refusing to betray me when given the chance... it's just not the same. It wouldn't feel the same." She shuddered. "I don't know why, but it would feel like murdering a friend."

Morgause stared at her sister in disbelief. "I would tread carefully, sister. These feelings are most unwise."

"I know..."

She sighed reluctantly. "I will keep him until you are ready to exact your revenge. I will respect your wishes."

"I just need time."

"And I will give it to you."

Morgana let out a breath that she had been holding in for some time. "Thank you."

The armored enchantress turned her attention back to the necklace she held between her fingertips. She side eyed her sister. 

"Ealdordómlicnes geweald mín andsaca," she chanted. "Imete cynce heorte," she finished. The necklace glowed ruby red for a moment, before returning to its original emerald shade. "If this remains around Uther's neck, his mind will remain completely and utterly under my jurisdiction."

Morgana smirked and took the necklace from her sister. She walked over to her sleeping father and wrapped the pendant around his neck, taking care to tuck it under his shirt so it would not be seen. She stood and made her way back to her sister. 

"The perfect place for me to hide with the boy will be in Uther's chambers. No one will think to look in there. If any servants stumbled in, I'll capture their minds too, or kill them."

Morgana paused. "Do you think Arthur will suspect anything?"

"Not if I play my part well."

"I have faith in you, but he cares for Merlin. If he didn't show up after the attack... he would worry."

Morgause made her way to the center of the room. "Even if he does worry about the location of the boy, it's not as if he would ever be able to find him, ever think to look in his father's chambers. It does raise the question though... he might be confused when he wakes and the attack has been called off."

"I'll tell him that I took his sword and stabbed you when you weren't paying attention," she lifted the sword easily from Arthur's hand. "You had to retreat to heal your wounds."

"Will he believe that?"

"He'll believe anything."

"You'll be hailed as a hero."

"Indeed I will," she said, smiling wickedly and staring at her reflection in the blade.

"Néadhæs," Morgause whispered. One of the knights of Medhir sprang to life at her order. It stalked over to Merlin and scooped up his unconscious form. Morgause turned back to her sister. "Once we reach the king's chambers I will lift the enchantment and everyone will wake. You must be prepared to deliver your story. Is there anything else we are forgetting?"

Morgana shook her head. "I don't think so."

"Good." Morgause began to make her way to the double doors, followed by the knight carrying Merlin.

"Morgause," Morgana called out.

She turned. 

"I'll visit you tonight."

"I look forward to it."  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.8K 308 17
VIGILANTE SHIT- ❝ revenge is a good look on you ❞ IN WHICH, two sorcerers in camelot are both destined to take care of the king's most beloved, arthu...
50.8K 1.8K 13
Arthur and Merlin are connected by a Magic stronger than any other but while Merlin tries his best to keep his Soulmate alive, Arthur ignores his sou...
164K 6.5K 27
A Merthur fic set in canon era. After two years of putting up with his useless excuse for a manservant, Arthur begins to suspect that there may be mo...
16.2K 694 11
"Merlin has-" The ghost of Uther Pendragon has told Arthur that Merlin has magic. Arthur struggles to deal with it, until he's forced to once Camelo...