Sugar | August Alsina

By ArtistryByBadu

shit ain't always sweet. © ArtistryByBadu This story is not to be copied, reposted, plagiarized in any form. More

Sugar
1| Meetings
2 | Basketball
3| Guess Who's Coming To Dinner
4| Deliveries
5 | Player's Prayer
6 | Gotta Make It

7 | Healing

269 11 11
By ArtistryByBadu

I changed from first person to third person just in case anyone is confused by the perspective change. Love y'all.

7 | Healing

As the days progressed August regained enough strength to be released from the hospital. When the day came Zeke was by his side for the transition.

He was on strict doctors orders to decrease the physical exercise he did on the daily, and take a regimen of pills until his body regulated itself.

It was a waiting game, and August didn't have any patience.

"I got your meds." Zeke poked his head through the door with a large white CVS bag.

God had sent August a hidden blessing in Ezekiel, he was a great kid and a help to August, especially now that he had fallen ill. He was also a great basketball player with a lot of potential to do great things in his future.

"You don't know how much I appreciate you Zeke."

He shrugged. "It's nun, I got you dawg." Zeke sat the medicine down on the foot of my bed that I'd just climbed into.

"You want me to bring you food?"

August nodded. "Of course. Your momma cooking?"

Zeke rolled his eyes. "Yes, I'll bring you some."

There was just something about Ezekiel's mother Thandie's cooking. It was just her thing, and she was great at it.

"I'll see you later, I'll get Challen to bring me."

Challen, he hadn't heard about her in a minute, since their tragic meeting. He didn't understand why she was such a bitch, maybe it was a defense mechanism, but that didn't mean he needed to be around it.

He was cool with Zeke, not her.

Just moving around had made August tired, so he found his eyes drooping closed. He'd eaten on the way home, now his body was ready for a nap.

One of the major side effects was fatigue and muscle tiredness, and August was feeling it.

On the other side of the city Challen sat in a sky rise building above the bustling city. She was about to leave the office for the day and head home. Matthew had been busier than usual today, so she had barely seen him.

She would probably sleep over at his place tonight.

Packing up her files and papers for tomorrow, Challen's phone started ringing. It was Zeke, she paused to answer it.

"Hello?"

"Hey sis can you do me a favor? I need a ride."

She'd been aware that Zeke had been hanging out with his coach after school, and he looked at him like a big brother of sorts.

Apparently he was sick and Zeke wanted to be of help to him. Challen found it sweet, especially 'cause that was just her brother's nature.

"I got you. I'm about to leave the office."

Challen grabbed a notepad and scribbled down a quick note for Matthew before she left.

You're a busy man, I'll see you tonight.
❤️ Challen

She grabbed her stuff and headed out to the parking garage and to her Mercedes. The love she had for her car was a loyal one, especially when Matthew wanted her to sell it and commit to having a driver like he did.

Challen liked having her own car, and her own personal time sometimes, even if traffic was horrible. Like now, would she take a driver to pick up and drop off her brother at another man's house? How would that look to Matthew?

She drove from Manhattan towards the Bronx and texted Zeke.

I'm about to be there - 6:00 PM

Ok I'm coming down - Zeke, 6:01 PM

When she arrived at the brown brick building she parked outside and looked for Zeke's familiar curly hair. He was standing on the steps outside, and when he saw her white car he ran down and hopped in.

"Thanks."

She nodded. "Of course."

Challen pulled off and they started their journey towards their home.

"How's your friend doing?" She asked to start a conversation. The last time she had met August she wasn't in the nicest of moods and had come off as a bitch.

She was aware but there was nothing she could do to change it now.

"He's doing better, just on bedrest like the doctor said."

"How old is he?" He seemed to be around her age but she could've been wrong.

"24."

Twenty four and on bed rest, she hoped he got better soon, for his and Zeke's sake. You could tell that they had a bond, and it would be a shame to lose it.

Challen and Zeke made their way to the beautiful quarter million dollar home, adorned with five bedrooms, three bathrooms, a dining, living, game room, and pool. Zeke had been born and raised in the home, Challen moving into the home when she was four and had just met her stepfather Brian.

When they arrived Challen parked along the array of cars in the driveway making sure she could get out, and turned off the engine.

Her phone started ringing as she grabbed her bags from the backseat. It was Matthew.

"I'll be right in." She told Zeke, stopping in her tracks to answer the call.

"Hello?"

"Why didn't you wait for me?" He asked with a slight whine to his voice.

"I had to go get Zeke from a friend's house, I told you I'd see you tonight."

"Alright. Try to hurry up, I signed the Dawson contract today and I want to celebrate."

Matthew had been trying to make this deal concrete for a long time, and after many meetings and tedious back and forth it had finally happened. Challen was happy for him.

"I'll be there after dinner."

"See you soon." They hung up the call and Challen headed inside to join her family.

She walked into the kitchen, the aroma of baked chicken wafting into her nose. There was mail sitting on the counter, so she sifted through it looking for anything with her name on it.

"Hey Zeke, how's August?" Their mother Thandie asked while standing at the stove stirring up some mashed potatoes in a pot.

"He's good, I'ma bring him some leftovers tomorrow."

Thandie smiled. "That'd be nice of you, Challen you should drop it off so they stay warm."

Challen's eyebrows raised, now why did she have to do it? It was Zeke's friend, and he was definitely capable.

"Why me?"

"You don't have anything better to do, you're probably gonna end up picking up Zeke anyways, and because I don't want Zeke walking round smelling like chicken at school."

Her mother had never cared about smells when she sent her to school with various African meals. She'd had many stains on her work due to grease and jollof rice.

"I'll think about it. I'm gonna go shower before dinner."

Challen brushed her keycard against the elevator keypad to get into Matthew's penthouse. She was showered, fed, and ready to lay up with her man for the night.

Her hair was tied up, she had on some comfy sweats from PINK, and had her outfit for tomorrow in her hand.

The elevator dinged open and immediately Challen noted the smell of frankincense incense. Matthew was trying to set a mood.

"Baby?" Her voice echoed throughout the spacious modern complex. It had three bedrooms and two bedrooms, and it's own personal gym separate from the complexes.

"In the room." Matthew's deep voice answered from the agape door down the hall, and Challen followed.

He stood in front of his bed unbuttoning his cuff links. Challen laid her items on his ottoman and approached him to help.

"Hello beautiful." He smiled down at her, allowing her to start unbuttoning the ones going down the middle of his chest.

"Hey handsome." Challen bit her lip and stood on her tiptoes so her lips could touch Matthew's. He met her halfway and scooped her up, wrapping his arms around her waist and pulling her tight body into his.

"I missed you all day." He breathed against her lips.

"Congratulations on your proposal." Challen pulled away beaming.

"Thank you baby."

Matthew scooped her off the ground for a hug before releasing her and heading into the bathroom.

Challen plopped down on his bed with her phone in tow. She was texting her best friend Nickie and they were in the middle of a deep conversation.

She was trying to matchmake for Nickie, and thought that August would be a great fit. She would get Zeke to get on board and they would set it up.

If he's so great, you date him! - Nickie, 10:09 PM

🙄 I have someone already you don't - 10:10 PM

Challen heard the water start in the shower. "So I was thinking." Matthew started.

"You were thinking."

You got a sugar daddy bitch that don't count - Nickie, 10:12 PM

Challen rolled her eyes. The same anti Matthew train that Challen's mother was on, Nickie was a part of as well.

Matthew had did nothing but be nice to both of them, and they just continued to hate on him.

You didn't say that when he sent us to Trinidad - 10:12 PM

"Tomorrow we have dinner and throw a party. You invite your family and friends, my work colleagues will come."

Challen shrugged, as long as she didn't have to plan. "I love parties, and you have been working hard on this proposal."

"Damn right I have."

I said it then and I'll say it now, you need someone our age. - Nickie, 10:15 PM

Matthew is who makes me happy rn, can you just accept that? - 10:16 PM

I'll say yes but deep down no lmao but I'm gonna go shower, goodnight 😘- Nickie, 10:16 PM

Challen threw her phone down and focused on Matthew. He turned off the shower and stepped out, using the towel to soak up the water on his skin.

"How was your day?"

"It was good, I got most of my tasks around the office done since I had no distractions."

"Well I'll be there tomorrow to distract you again, I just needed this contract to go through, and now that it has I can relax again." He pulled on some pajama pants and walked out the bathroom, heading straight for the bed where Challen was laying.

Matthew climbed on top of her, careful not to lean into her too much and kissed her forehead.

"I got my favorite girl, all I need is some 1942."

"Go get us some baby."

He followed instructions, leaving Challen alone for a second, and returning with a bottle and two clear shot glasses.

"What're we cheering to?"

Challen started. "Cheers to you getting everything you want, work for, and deserve, baby. I'm so proud of you and your drive." They clinked glasses and threw it back, enjoying the smooth slow burn.

He poured out two more. "Cheers to you for being by my side, I know I'm not the easiest to deal with and you get hell for dating an old man like me, but I truly do appreciate you Challen."

A grin spread across her face. "Aw baby, you're so sweet. Cheers."

They clinked glasses one more time and threw it back.

"I wanna tell you something." Matthew started, putting his glass down on the bedside dresser and grabbing Challen's hand.

"I'm in love with you Challen, I've known it for a while I just didn't know how to say it. I love you."

They'd been together for eight months now, and they hadn't exchanged the love word yet. They both had felt the feeling, but didn't want to risk it.

Challen knew he was married for a while prior to her, and didn't want to rush or scare him away with feelings of love.

Matthew didn't want to scare her into something permanent that she wasn't ready for, but it was inevitable. He loved him some Challen.

She made him extremely happy and gave him a new lease on life.

"I love you baby." Challen dropped her shot glass and hopped on Matthew's toned body, straddling his waist and feeling his member growing underneath her.

"I love you so much."

All of August's life he'd been used to hustling, and making due with what he was given, which wasn't much.

Whenever August got money he saved a portion for his mother, and put most of it in savings. Now that he was out of work for a little while, he was gonna have to rely strictly on his savings.

He had at least a month's worth to his name, so he wasn't worried right now. If he kept on his medications, he'd be back to work in no time.

He kind of already felt better after leaving the hospital, they had pumped him full of IV's and meds, and they were still in August's system.

All the medicine did was make him tired and hungry.

August laid in bed watching Scarface when he heard the door close. The only person with a key to his place was Zeke.

"What's popping." August nodded when Zeke stepped through the doorway to his bedroom. He dropped his backpack and pulled up a chair next to August's bed.

"Coolin', I got an essay to write."

"Need my help?" August looked over at Zeke who was setting up himself to start working.

"Nah nigga, you dumb." Zeke laughed and dodged the piece of popcorn August threw his way.

"Where's the leftovers you were gonna bring?"

Zeke pulled out his phone. "Oh yeah, my sis is supposed to bring it before she goes to her boyfriend's, my mom told her to."

August's face screwed up at the thought of Challen. "I hope she ain't gone spit in it."

Zeke laughed. "She wouldn't do that, she's actually really nice when you get to know her."

"And I guess I ain't gone get to know her." He shrugged. The girl was just plain mean, he didn't need that around his spirit. He was in healing and needed to heal, not stress.

"You will, she's coming to bring the food. It's roast chicken and mashed potatoes with sweet rolls."

At this point August would eat anything, and he knew Ms. Thandie could throw down in the kitchen so he wasn't worried.

He continued watching Toni Montana until Zeke popped up from his seated position.

"I'm bout to go downstairs, come with me."

August shook his head, he was still weak. "I'ma wait for you up here."

"You haven't been outside in over a week, you need to stretch."

He was right but August didn't want to admit it, or go downstairs to talk to Challen. But sometimes you did things you didn't want to do, sacrifices.

"Aight. Help me up." August extended out his hand and allowed Zeke to help him out of the bed. They walked in synchronicity towards the elevator and made their way to the lobby.

Challen's white Mercedes was parked out front, and she had the windows down blasting NBA Youngboy.

They approached the car and Zeke smiled at his sister.
"Hey you."

"Hey, are you gonna need a ride home?" Challen looked up from her phone and inspected August and her brother.

He wasn't ugly, he was actually really cute, thought Challen.

Zeke looked up at August. "I'ma stay around for a lil bit longer, I'm good."

Challen held out a plastic bag with containers full of food for August. "Here."

Once Zeke retrieved the food he returned back to August and gave it to him.
"Thank you Challen, tell ya moms thank you too."

Challen's head bobbed up and down. "Will do, you're welcome, but I ain't Ubereats so don't get used to it. Zeke be home before dark, I got to go."

Zeke rolled his eyes and started back up the stairs to August's complex. Challen adjusted her clutch and pulled off.

"See, told you she's not that bad."

"Yeah, yeah. Come on."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

35.1K 978 23
read all because of detention first! ✔️: november 11 sequel.. relationships will be tested..
89.8K 2.2K 28
Just read🤍. -(COMPLETED)- This is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to actual events or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental. All righ...
79.9K 3.5K 18
"Art...is all perspective." 2016, TeaIsForTimi. All Rights Reserved.
RISING By M | ♖

Science Fiction

11.3K 1.8K 27
REMOVED FROM HOSTING SITES. ------------ First draft. © 2021 MABWrites. All Rights Reserved.