πŽπ‚π„π€π π„π˜π„π’-Kaz Brekk...

By wxlfmaid

"He left her lonely with a diamond mind." (Ranked #1 in Kaz Brekker.) More

π’π”πŒπŒπ€π‘π˜
𝐈.
𝐈𝐈.
πˆπ•.
𝐕.
π•πˆ.
π•πˆπˆ.
π•πˆπˆπˆ.
πˆπ—.

𝐈𝐈𝐈.

2.1K 115 6
By wxlfmaid

𝐎𝐂𝐄𝐀𝐍 𝐄𝐘𝐄𝐒

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑: 𝐈𝐈𝐈.

Raisa hugs her cloak tightly around herself as she follows Kaz to Dreesen's house. She walks between Inej and Jesper. A part of her knows that she's as good as a prisoner to them. But if she's getting two hundred and seventy thousand kruge, she's willing to follow Kaz Brekker through the Fold. She can only hope that whatever Dreesen wants is nowhere near Os Alta.

The shadows weigh heavy on her and it's as if she can feel Kirigan beside her. He's far away, across the Fold, in the Little Palace with his underlings.

But sometimes she wonders if he ever came looking for her.

"Who are you lot?" a man asks, tromping down the walkway toward the gate.

"We're here to see Dreesen," Kaz replies.

"You're not with Pekka's crew."

"And you're not in Pekka's pocket anymore, if you don't owe him," Kaz answers simply.  He draws forth a purse of coins from the pocket of his waistcoat. 

Bribery is the easiest way to get around the Barrel.

"Hey, where did you get that coin?" Jesper asks as they continue toward the house.

Raisa nearly jumps as the man states, "Hey! One of these has a hole in it!"

Jesper is grinning. "Saints," he says.

They're saved by the door opening, Kaz shoving Jesper ahead. "Inside," he states. "Inside."

Raisa can't help but chuckle at the angered expression on the man's face as they pile into the doorway, following two men to Dreesen's study.

At his desk, Dreesen raises an eyebrow, leaning on his elbow. "One look and I can tell. Criminals. I'm not meeting anyone 'til midnight."

"We heard you needed a Heartrender," Kaz replies calmly. "And I've found one trained at the Little Palace."

Raisa takes a small step forward, bowing her head respectfully.

That makes Dreesen rise, looking at her with a critical eye. "Hm," he says. "All right, she stays, the rest of you, out."

Raisa makes no moves. Kaz gives her a nod. "She stays," Kaz states. "And we have an exclusive on this job."

Dreesen considers that a moment, coming around to sit at the edge of his desk, eyes locked with Kaz's. "Mr. Brekker," he says. "No businessman worth his salt hires his first applicant."

"No," Kaz says. "No, I understand. Of course, I will have to report you to the guild for kidnapping and harboring a prisoner without chain of title."

One of Dreesen's men moves for his gun, hand brushing open his coat. 

"Heartbeats are increasing," Raisa says quietly. While their voices may be quiet, their heartbeats are astoundingly loud and a part of her wonders just why she agreed to this in this first place.

Beside her, Jesper moves for the gun at his own hip.

"You wouldn't," Dreesen says.

"No businessman worth his salt bargains for what he can take."

Dreesen moves closer, face-to-face with Kaz. He takes a deep breath, eyes scanning their strange little party.

"You're in my sight line," Raisa notes, trying to sound casual. "All I need is the go-ahead."

Dreesen sighs. "All right. Come on."

They're led down to a basement. Raisa goes horribly tense as she registers a body, tied up and slumped over in a chair with a bag over it's head. It's a familiar scene that makes her want to turn and run away.

Stop his heart, the Kirigan in her head urges her. This is what your power is for.

She balls her hands into tight fists, swallowing down bile as Dreesen rests a hand on the back of the chair.

"Who's this?" Kaz asks.

"So you don't know everything after all," Dreesen answers, a touch of humor in his voice. "This... is Alexei Stepanov." He draws off the bag to reveal the terrified face of a young man. "Two weeks ago, young Alexei here crossed through the Fold on foot. Alone."

"How'd he manage that?" Raisa asks.

"They're keeping it quiet, but allegedly he was one of a few witnesses to... an event."

"Water," Alexei pleads, his voice weak as he sees that Dreesen is pouring a glass of wine.

Inej moves to get him water, matching Dreesen's stunned expression with a glare.

"What kind of event?" Kaz presses, watching Inej as she helps the bound Alexei drain the water.

"I know an expedition was swarmed by volcra. Should've been a total loss, but something happened," Dreeesen says. "Some device detonated. Obliterated the volcra, lit up the dark like a forest fire. I know it wasn't a fire or else no one would have survived. This was some invention no one had seen before." He aims a finger at Alexei. "He knows. But he doesn't seem to be able to articulate his account of events. Some form of traumatic lapse."

Raisa nods. "Hence why I'm needed here."

"Exactly."

She looks toward Kaz. If she's going to be getting money out of this deal, she's not doing anything without his confirmation.

When he gives her a nod, she steps forward, lowering in front of Alexei. "Take a deep breath," she says, keeping her voice steady, calm. "You're safe now." She takes his hand and it's as if his heartbeat has grown a thousand times louder, making her head ache and her hands tremble.

He's a traitor, you know. He abandoned his crew. He's a coward.

Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!

She takes a slow breath, watching Alexei do the same as she smoothes her fingertips over his neck, feeling his pulse slow as he calms down. "There you go," she says. "You can speak freely now. And I'll listen."

"All right," he says. He looks tired, his eyes heavy, his chest still heaving.

"Will you tell me what happened in the Fold?" she asks, offering him a kind enough smile. Her powers are enough to calm him but she still wants him to trust her. "What saved you?"

"You won't believe me, but... it was a Sun Summoner."

The room is quiet enough that even under the sound of hearts pounding, Raisa hears Inej's gasp, a hand coming up to rest over her heart.

Dreesen comes forward, lowering to join Raisa, who shies away from him. "Who was it?" Dreesen asks, a smile playing at his lips.

"If I tell you, you'll set me free?" Alexei asks, hope in his eyes.

"You have my word. I'll set you free," Dreesen says. "You're in Ketterdam now, Alexei. You can go anywhere in the world from here. Just imagine. Come on."

Alexei swallows hard. "Her name is... Alina Starkov."

"Alina Starkov?" Dreesen asks, and Alexei nods. "Good boy."

Dreesen rises, turning to one of his men. "Show me the manifest," he states, scanning the list of names on the paper. 

Raisa still has her attention on Alexei, trying to calm his nerves.

"Perfect," Dreesen finally says. 

"You'll set me free now?" Alexei asks. 

"Of course," Dreesen says.

Raisa doesn't even see him draw the gun.

All she knows is that he fires it directly into Alexei's head.

Blood spatters her cheeks and she hears the last, weak, tha...thump of his heart before it stops pumping.

She drops his hand and the chair falls back, letting Alexei's blood stain the floorboards. "Bastard!" she hisses out, hands shaking.

"Raisa," Kaz states. "Not now."

She wants to argue. Wants to scream at him. But if she's working under him for this, she can't step out of line. She can't do anything.

Head down, back bent, eyes low.

She bites her tongue hard enough that she tastes blood and gets to her feet, letting Dreesen speak.

"We are now the only people west of the Fold with this information," he says. "My ship sails for West Ravka at dawn. If you can prove that you have a way through the Fold and back, I'll put you on that ship with an advance. If you don't, I'm giving this job to Pekka Rollins."

"Give me a day," Kaz says. "I'll have a plan."

"You have until sunrise, then your ship will have sailed, Mr. Brekker. The prize is one million kruge. Now bring me Alina Starkov."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.9K 362 25
☞︎(Completed)☜︎ βœͺ "𝑰 π’•π’‰π’π’–π’ˆπ’‰π’• π’šπ’π’– π’…π’Šπ’†π’… 𝒂𝒍𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝑨 π’π’π’π’ˆ, π’π’π’π’ˆ π’•π’Šπ’Žπ’† π’‚π’ˆπ’" -π‘«π’‚π’—π’Šπ’… π‘©π’π’˜π’Šπ’† βœͺ Adelaide KΓΌbrik jus...
41.2K 2.2K 28
Don't blame me, love made me crazy If it doesn't, you ain't doin' it right γ€Žthe darkling x femaleoc』 pre-shadow&bone ...
1.1M 53.5K 49
❝ she loved him, but she kept pretending she didn't because she knew he didn't love her the same ❞ In which the Snake of Ketterdam slithers out f...
6.6K 142 26
What's a Bastart without his Queen?