Bloodhearts

By MysteryOfWordsDK

When you're dead, you're dead, right? One dead guy used to think so. He doesn't know who he is or why he is a... More

Prologue: Reflection.
Chapter one: Dead.
Chapter two: Out.
Chapter three: Trust.
Chapter four: Wanting.
Chapter five: Blood.
Chapter six: Danger.
Chapter seven: Wounds.
Chapter eight: Wrong.
Chapter nine: Change.
Chapter ten: Cause.
Chapter eleven: Backwards.
Chapter twelve: Everything.
Chapter thirteen: Awake.
Chapter fourteen: Fighter.
PART TWO
Chapter one: Afterlife.
Chapter three: What If.
Chapter four: (Un)Identified.
Chapter five: The Returned.
Chapter six: New Life.
Chapter seven: A Message.
Chapter eight: White Noise.
Chapter nine: Pokรฉmon Cards.
Chapter ten: Notebook.
Chapter eleven: Another Me.
Chapter twelve: Emergency.
Chapter thirteen: In the End.
Chapter fourteen: Rebellion.
Chapter fifteen: Grave Site.
Epilogue: Come With Me.

Chapter two: Perimeter Fence.

865 54 8
By MysteryOfWordsDK

My training goes well over the next month and I get more and more mobile every day. Jason is happy to have me back and so is Cory, although he is giving me these looks. I know he just worries for me and I try to tell him that everything is fine. I try to tell myself that, too.

I'm on patrol when my walkie scratches and a frantic voice reports sightings of strangers just by the main gate. I call Jason and Cory to me and we rush to get there. The guards have been communicating with this group of strangers and they don't seem to be infected, but they do seem scared and exhausted. And they are wearing masks to cover their true faces. I order the gate to be opened, so we can inspect these people more closely, but we keep our weapons held high. We can't take any chances.

"Put your weapons on the ground and hands where I can see them!" I yell and the group instantly obeys. "Unmask them."

To my great surprise, I see several familiar faces in the group. Some of them I have gone to school with. One is my old friend Peter. He used to hang out with Jason and I once upon a time before he and his parents moved to a different city. I recognize his face easily since he has a very distinctive birthmark on his face.

"Jay?" Peter asks in disbelief. "Is that you?"

Still a little weary, I let my men lower their guns, but order them to stay ready for anything.

Peter keeps his hands raised in the air. His friends all do the same thing. "It's good to see you," he continues, trying to negotiate with me. "You're the leader?" he questions.

"My father's the general. I just lead these men," I reply.

Nodding, Peter grins at me. "Makes sense," he says. "I figured you'd be the boss. Just like old times." His eyes flicker from me to Jason. Jason receives a smile, which he returns warily.

I order my men to stand down and allow Peter and his friends to explain how they've found us. He tells me they have been traveling for a long time and that this area is more or less boney-free. And then he tells me he has heard rumors of this place. That part surprises me.

"I don't want to be rude," Peter says then. "But we were hoping to be let inside. It's been too long since we've had a proper meal and a bath."

I chuckle. "Definitely too long."

He smiles back and we check them again for any signs of infection and they turn in all of their weapons. We do a very thorough body search just to make sure we've found everything. They do everything they're told and hide no weapons from us, so I decide that these people don't pose any immediate threats to us. I give my old friend a warmer welcome and make sure to meet everyone else in the group. Just as I have made it all around, Peter is meeting Cory - and Peter does not know anything about my relationship with Cory yet. He moved to a different city years before we started dating. This will be fun.

"Coriander, is that you?" Peter says, baffled. It's taken him a bit of time to recognize Cory. Of course, Cory has changed a lot over the past decade - but so have I. Cory moves closer to me and we share a look. I can already tell he doesn't like Peter's attitude. The old rivalry between them doesn't seem to be gone despite everything. One of them is easily provoked and the other one is without a doubt the most sarcastic person I know.

"You've grown some!" Peter continues with a smile that's just a little bit taunting.

Cory smiles back despite what Peter just said and it worries me.

"Hi, Peter, I'm so glad to see you again," Cory says, putting on his best fake smile.

I put a hand on Cory's shoulder to make him stop before the situation escalates further. I make him understand that I will handle this from here. He looks at me with an irritated expression but doesn't argue.

Peter frowns. "What the heck? You and Coriander being friends is something I never expected to see," Peter teases. "The end of the world really changes things, huh?"

"Except you," Cory comments acidly, batting his eyelashes.

I know Peter doesn't mean to insult us. This is just his personality.

"I suggest we move back inside. It gets dark soon," I say and everyone agrees.

When we arrive, I have another full body search conducted of each new arrival. We record their names and injuries. We find out what skills they have and if they might have family here. That's the case with a couple of them. Peter moved away and has lost most of his family. One of his companions is his cousin and he is the only family Peter has left. His name is Michael. They have lived in a different community until it dissolved several months ago, they tell me, a place somewhat smaller than this and where they still fear zombies and boneys.

"So tell me," Peter says as we sit down to eat that night. "How come Cory looks like you used to, Jay? I bet he could probably beat you up if he wanted to. Aren't you scared he's going to? You're looking a little pale if I you don't mind me saying so." It hasn't escaped Peter's attention that Cory is sitting next to me at dinner either.

"I'm sure he could," I answer calmly and focus on controlling the movements of my hand, so I can eat properly. High school is so long ago but yet it seems like I'm transported right back into that bubble when Peter speaks.

He scoffs in disbelief. "You don't care that fairy boy can whoop your ass?"

I shrug. "I trust him," I reply, eyes still on my food.

Peter looks from me to Cory, who tries to focus on anything but our conversation - and failing miserably, of course. "Are you seriously telling me you and fairy boy are, like, friends now?"

"Stop calling me that, you moron!" Cory snaps, glaring at Peter. I put my hand on his thigh in a silent attempt to calm him down.

"Why? Does it bother you, fairy boy?" Peter retorts, getting riled up too.

"Would me sticking my gun up your ass bother you?!" Cory threatens. They are both on their feet and so is everyone else the next second. My hand grips Cory's shoulder tightly, holding him in place. I have to fight to get his attention. When I finally do, I raise my eyebrows, asking him to stop. I make eye contact with Jason whom I know is ready to hold Peter back if necessary.

"You watch your mouth," I warn, giving Peter a look just as stern as the one I just gave Cory. "I won't have you talk to Cory - or anyone else - that way. Is that clear?"

Peter looks at me appraisingly for a few moments. Then he chuckles before sitting back down as if nothing's happened.

"Sure, okay. I just didn't think I'd see the day when you'd be defending him."

My eyes narrow. Peter is just as I remember him. Always pushing it to the limit. Just like he did all those years ago when we prowled the school hallways together. Perhaps, there is a more weathered and menacing touch to Peter's personality today. I expect it's why he's survived this long. This world does things to people and sometimes accentuates the not so pretty things. It rips open every possible scar it can find. Mercilessly.

We all sit down and Peter goes back to eating without another comment. He sends Cory a provocative smile and Cory responds with another glare. Cory doesn't go back to eating, but takes a deep breath. I just hope Peter will leave him alone for now.

I lean in closer to Cory, caressing his arm. "Why don't you go home?" I say in his ear. "We'll talk later, okay?"

He eyes me with a scowl, but agrees, and leaves in quick strides.

After the rather chaotic dinner is over, I take my crouches and ask Peter to take a walk with me. I want to find out more about his journey and I want to try to keep some good spirits between us. I'm a little worried as to what he'll think of my relationship with Cory. I saw him exchange glances with his cousin Michael when I asked Cory to leave. I wasn't exactly sure it was a positive reaction. Despite everything, there are still idiots who will try to beat you up if they don't think you fit into their definition of 'normal' human being should be.

Peter tells me they've been wandering for a long time. The fact that he has made it back makes the world seem smaller. It definitely is smaller than it was years ago when people still insisted on traveling being an essential part of life.

"Thanks for letting us in, man," Peter says as we walk.

"Well, you're all very welcome here," I tell him. "It's always good to see old friends."

"Yeah," Peter agrees.

He takes an interest in our camp and how it's run. I only tell him the basics.

"It's strange how this place looks so much like it used to but then again it doesn't," Peter comments.

I smile and nod.

He looks at me then, puzzled. "What's the deal with Coriander though? Seriously?"

I sigh. "Well, a lot has happened since you left. For one, Cory is one of my best recruits. He can give Jason a run for his money, you know. I can't keep up with them at the moment..."

I don't elaborate on why. That can wait until later.

"... Sometimes I feel a bit shut out despite the fact that Cory and I live together," I add with a chuckle. I also mentally slap myself for that last and very inelegant statement.

Peter catches on quickly. He's not amused. "God, you're not telling me you two are a thing, are you?"

I just try and explain it calmly. "Actually, we are - and have been for the past seven years now." More or less, that is.

Peter's eyes widen. "No way! Really? But we used to push him around and stuff! And you liked girls then... didn't you?"

I shrug. "Maybe. Probably always liked Cory more," I reply.

"Huh," Peter mumbles and we walk in silence for a few minutes. I give him some time to put the pieces together. Then comes more questions about the whole thing. "So you never had a crush on that Sadie girl like Jason always thought? You were looking at Cory?" He actually says my boyfriend's name this time, but it sounds as much as an insult as 'fairy boy' does.

"Yes," I answer, deciding to ignore it. "I'm not ashamed of that, Peter. Cory saved my life. Literally."

This seems to make an impression on Peter and his expression softens. I don't think he understands, though.

"Maybe it's time we found you all a place to stay for the night," I suggest. "You must be tired."

It takes a couple of hours before they are settled in and I arrive home a little later than expected. I open the door quietly. My parents are both out and only Cory is here. His boots are thrown on the floor just inside the door, indicating his irritation has not worn off as he came home. I can only hope it has now.

I climb the stairs and find him sitting on our bed, scowling. Of course, I know why. It's all about Peter and his friends. He's worried. Still, I can't help but find this situation funny. This reminds me of a younger Cory, whom I could easily tackle or carry around in my arms and I chuckle.

"You can wipe that smile right off," Cory warns, pointing a finger at me. He gets to his feet.

I try to suppress it and fail completely. "Cory," I say and snake my arms around him. He continues to glare at me, but doesn't move away from my touch. "Don't worry. It's gonna be fine."

He scoffs, evidently not convinced. "Right. I'll believe that when Peter proves he isn't another Spencer."

I pull him closer. "I don't understand why you're so worried about Peter. If you two ever get in a fight, I have no doubt you will win it."

Cory grimaces and is about to retort, but I kiss him instead, waiting until he stops trying to continue the conversation. I can tell I haven't quenched his worries completely, but after a few moments he stops fighting me and kisses me back. We don't have much time to ourselves these days and I've only recently come to a place where I'm able to show Cory how much I love him. So we both dive into this kiss, letting go for just a moment. Our shirts are thrown on the floor and Cory sighs when my hands begin to travel south...and just then, the front door downstairs gets unlocked. Of course, my mother would chose this time to come home. She yells her 'hello' and I groan in annoyance, my lips still on Cory's neck.

"James?" my mother calls. "Your father needs you!"

I reluctantly pull away from Cory, throwing my head back in exasperation. "Now's a really bad time!" I yell back, but get no reply. So perhaps she's already left again. My mother has become a permanent part of my dad's command at headquarters. She was never home much before, but now she is here almost as rarely as my dad is - which means Cory and I often have the house to ourselves. That is, when we're here at the same time.

Cory groans when I pull away, and throws my t-shirt right in my face, after he gets up from the bed. We both know this request to come in isn't going to be made twice.

"I'm coming with you," Cory promises and I nod, getting my crutches.

We head downstairs together and steal another kiss before we walk out the door.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

46.2K 1.6K 47
"I hate everyone." "Except me, right?" "No, especially you." โŽปโŽปโŽปโŽปโŽปโŽปโŽปโŽปโŽปโŽป It's funny, isn't it? That when the whole world decides to become infected wi...
7.2K 1.4K 82
โhow do you kill a monster without becoming one?โž In the last city ruled by man, fish soar in the skies above and monsters lurk in the alleys below...
7 1 4
It has been 3 years since the world decided it wanted to bring the dead back walking again and have them become cannibalistic creatures towards alive...
1.1M 36.4K 30
Book 1 in the Creatures series. Everyone knows what happens to mythical creatures when they die. They end up in purgatory, right? Well, that's what...