A Hero's Song (Darkest Secret...

By DLSchrader

Gabriel lived his whole life in an underground lab, surrounded by people who only sought to use him - tricked... More

Foreword
Prologue
Chapter 1 - Test Run
Chapter 2 - Omen
Chapter 3 - Tinkering Before the Storm
Chapter 4 - Code L
Chapter 5 - A Hero's Life
Chapter 6 - Out of the Frying Pan
Chapter 7 - Lost to the Void
Chapter 8 - Homework
Chapter 10 - An Interesting Friend
Rosenquartz
Falco
Lilith
Chapter 11 - Old Family and New
Chapter 12 - Into the Fire
Chapter 13 - Alfred
Chapter 14 - The Saviour
Chapter 15 - Evolution
Chapter 16 - Pop Quiz
Chapter 17 - What Makes a Leader?
Chapter 18 - A Friendly Duel to the Death
Chapter 19 - Those are just the Babies
Chapter 20 - New Toys
Chapter 21 - Jacks of All Trades
Chapter 22 - Insubordination
Chapter 23 - I am the Captain now
Chapter 24 - True Purpose
Chapter 25 - This One Time in the Rockies
Chapter 26 - Boss Fight
Chapter 27 - Dr. Atomic
Chapter 28 - After Hours
Chapter 29 - A Small Step for Man
Chapter 30 - Lockdown
Chapter 31 - Assassin
Chapter 32 - The Hunt
Chapter 33 - Truer Colors
Chapter 34 - The Quantum Conundrum
Chapter 35 - Words Unspoken
Chapter 36 - Seconds to Strike
Chapter 37 - Bitter Victories

Chapter 9 - Sentinel Initiation: An Introduction

13 4 4
By DLSchrader

"Where'd I put it?" Zero rifled through a stack of novels and magazines, then tossed a small red paperback to Gabriel. "With that big brain of yours. You should work through this in a night no problem, right?"

Gabriel snatched the handbook from the air and examined the cover. The title read "Sentinel Initiation: An Introduction".

Zero pulled out a tiny vodka bottle from the built-in mini-fridge under his seat. "That's your manual, it will explain things you may already know, but I'd prefer you to be fresh on Sentinel vocab before we start. Take this as well, peruse it to your liking." He tossed a file. "Those are the briefs on your new teammates, get to know who you'll be working with before we start tomorrow. It could really help. They get files on you too, by the way, those are being written up as we speak."

The Super reclined fully, chugging his vodka and settling down for a snooze.

Gabriel gazed at the information in his hands with a megafan's reverence. The first few pages looked to be an introduction into life at the Sentinel Academy, but Gabriel skipped those. He wouldn't be attending as a student, Zero had moved him years ahead. He found the first combat relevant section after a second.

SUPERS - CLASSES AND COMMON TERMINOLOGY

Supergenetic mutations are divided into Classes by power level, starting from 0 or UnClassed. Testing done in the early years of Classification showed that most Supers of a Class higher were the equals of a group of three Supers below them, those bouts showing a 50% chance of victory for either party. The fact that these tests were run in enclosed spaces, and that all of the Supers involved had similar power sets must be noted.

There is no recognized limit to the Classification scale. Thus far, Quantum - a Class 6 Matter Controller - is the most powerful Super ever measured.

Several deceased members of the old High Heroes, like Nemo and Zephyr, also belonged to Class 6. It has been theorized that the mutations of the leading Supers of the Ruchin could be in the Class 7 range, although no concrete testing has ever been reported.

Classification is key when judging Super engagements. If one force is outClassed, they must retreat. Fighting would likely result in the total annihilation of the weaker squad.

Apart from Classes, Supers are divided further into rudimentary designations, based on their mutation combinations:

Brawlers are Supers that have mutations augmenting their physical strength, toughness, and agility.Blasters have abilities involving distance attacks projected in streams, bullets, or blasts.Speedsters possess incredible speed and agility. Their strength and physical resilience are usually subpar when compared to Bruisers. Tanks are those with a heightened physical toughness. They are usually very strong but tend to move at below Class 2 speed.Minds have incredible mental capacity. These mutations could demonstrate themselves in any area of human life, and as such many Minds aren't Heroes, having innately used their talents in business or science. Those that do use their abilities in the relevance to the Sentinels build incredible weapons and exo-suits as well as state-of-the-art defense and assault systems. They are called Engineers.

Note: Class designation for non-physical abilities follows the same principle as discussed previously.

*Warning: There is always a chance a mutation will perform above its Class.

Power sets do not end at these designations. Often, Supers will demonstrate abilities of multiple types, and many Supers have mutations that are not considered in this list. However, these terms are sufficient in combat situations when communicating the strength and general capabilities of the enemy.

POST-ACADEMY TEAM STRUCTURE AND MENTORING

The Sentinel Strike Force is a system designed to emulate the overpowering might of the High Heroes lost in the first invasion. They are comprised of four members, each having a certain set of duties - pertaining to their positions - out in the field. This allows every Strike Force to handle a multitude of situations. These positions are designated; Offence, Defence, Support, and Jack.

Offense Supers specialize in combat-oriented towards high-priority targets. The Offense's role on missions is to ensure the safety of their team and civilians by removing the biggest threat as quickly as possible.

A good example of the ideal Offense would be SteamBoat, with the Green Bay Sentinels. He has Class 4 Brawling mutations and the ability to emit and control superheated steam. Many Villains have fallen to his steam, losing the ability to breathe in the boiler-hot vapor. He can also fly with it.

Defense specialists are the literal shields of the Strike Force. They usually have mutations that allow them to take hits that would cripple or kill the other members of their team. It is their job to ensure this doesn't happen. Tanks tend to be slow, given their unusually high masses. As such, they should position themselves close to their most vulnerable teammates, only focusing on attacking when the threats approach them, or when a large object could turn the tide if thrown.

Brickhouse was the most powerful Tank recorded, he was a High Hero before the first invasion. His brick organs regenerated almost instantly, and he weighed close to three tons. Brickhouse once protected his team's support, Henrietta, from a mech's Pulse Laser Cannon during the destruction of Los Angeles. He was struck dead center but remained able to lift the wounded Support and exit the danger zone.

Support specialists are dedicated to keeping their team alive through regenerative mutations. Mostly, these include some form of accelerated healing transferable to others. The Support is dedicated to aiding whichever Hero has the direst need. Accompanied by the Tank of the Strike Force, a Support is a force to be reckoned with, turning the tide in engagements that seemed hopeless but moments before.

Henrietta was a prime example of a Support expert. She could create forcefields around her teammates, protecting them from even Medium Pulse Lasers. When cornered, Henrietta was known to use her force fields as weapons, slicing enemies with atom-thin blades. A Support must be attentive above all else, many times a situation can only be analyzed by the team member not fully engaged with an enemy.

The Jacks are of a different sort than the other specialists. That is because Jack refers to Jack-of-all-Trades. A proper Jack can change their priority on the fly, saving the lives of their companions or bystanders.

Copper Cobra was the perfect Jack. His mutations allowed him to ward off damage with his hard skin, his cobra hood large enough to shield others. His venom was not only deadly but a potent curative and adrenaline booster if used in small doses. Thanks to this the Cobra was able to heal his allies in a pinch.

Apart from the basic designations of positions, one of the four members of the Strike Force will be chosen as Strike Captain. The specialization of the team lead matters little. The leader for each mission may be different. Some situations may be more suited to another member's expertise more so than the official Captain.

Team leaders receive special training apart from their designation regiment. This involves advanced decision-making exercises, as well as the instruction of top-secret protocol codes. The Strike Captain is also required to attend monthly meetings at the S.P.I.R.E. to communicate with the leaders of other Strike Forces.

The fifth member of each Strike Force is their Mentor. Each Mentor is responsible for the team's creation and is fully involved in designing the Strike Force's training and ultimate Strike designation - which decides the kinds of incidents the squad will be focused on handling. Mentors have often retired, though there are times when an active super will take up the mantle of Mentorship.

MISSION DESIGNATIONS

The missions embarked by Sentinel Strike Forces are organized into categories. These are defined by the area of jurisdiction of the problem to be solved. These categories are Local, Regional, Factional and Intergalactic.

Local missions involve problems easily solved by a team of Supers. These may range from robberies to disaster recovery. As the most straightforward mission type, this is usually the category a new team will handle for its first few missions. Some Strike Forces are even put in charge of certain local areas like cities.

Regional missions take place when a threat is posed to an entire territory or continent. These assignments usually include the involvement of a Named Villain, whose machinations might end the lives of hundreds of thousands of people. Regional endeavors oftentimes result in the death of one or more Heroes, because of this they are only undertaken after passing a Mentor's tests.

Factional missions involve the ongoing conflicts between the Human Republic, the Persian Dawn, and the Ruchin. We are called in to stop the Ruchin from expanding their dictatorial regime, and conflict with their high-Class Supers is almost guaranteed. These missions are only to be accepted by experienced Strike Forces.

Intergalactic missions are assaults on MechaBlitz positions. Not many of these attacks are carried out, seeing as the Sentinels no longer possess the numbers we once did. These missions, when undertaken without proper precautions, are suicide runs.

*Regarding the defense of human settlements: in the event of a Blitz attack, all available Sentinels are obligated to assist. Those emergencies are not considered missions, and any team within range must respond to assist with civilian rescue efforts.

THE MECHABLITZ

The arrival of the MechaBlitz in Earth's atmosphere marked the end of what is now known as the "Golden Age" of Mankind. Their advanced Pulse Laser weaponry proved too powerful for the natural defenses of the Supers who responded to the invasion. This initial surprise led to the instant deaths of too many heavy-hitters on our side, enfeebling Earth's desperate struggle for survival.

MechaBlitz tactics rely solely on their namesake. After an unspecified bombardment period from the stratosphere, the Blitz crush the enemy with overwhelming force. The usual Blitz assault begins with volleys of Large and Medium lasers from their vessels while infantry and Heavy Mecha drop to the ground.

The Blitz infantry, and indeed species, resemble large bipedal lizards. They have claws and 2-inch teeth, short snouts with heat tracking organs, and powerful tails. They all wear Class 4 power armor and carry Pulse rifles. Their suits cannot fly but are extremely resistant to all forms of damage. Thankfully, it seems the Blitz are not a populous species. Their forces seldom number over a hundred, and they are always evacuated promptly after a successful engagement.

Outside their suits, the aliens are wonders to behold. They are adapted to withstand a multitude of different atmospheric environments, Earth's included. Seven feet tall at the smallest, and always heavily muscled regardless of gender.

Ridged scales cover their entire bodies, they have no soft underbelly.

Their coloration seems to imply caste, given that any force captured always has the same colors. From their backs rise spikes that protrude out of their suits when worn. These can rend and tear flesh remarkably well, and the Blitz have respectable close combat training.

In short, compared to Supers, they are genetically superior predators.

The Blitz's Pulse Lasers come in three varieties, Large, Medium, and Small. Each tier glows a different color, red for Small, yellow for Medium, and blue for Large. The larger the laser, the heavier it is. Due to the tonnage, Large Pulse Lasers are only found on the larger Blitz Mechs and Attack Craft. Particularly strong Blitz can carry Medium Pulse weapons but will move more slowly as a result.

*Be warned, even Small Pulse Lasers can kill or disable a Class 3 Supers.

MechaBlitz HeavyMechs come in all shapes and sizes, but few smaller than a double-decker bus or lighter than 5 tons have been seen. They are automated platforms of raw obliteration, sometimes having forcefields and Pulse missiles in addition to Large Pulse Lasers.

Depending on the unique design, there will be claws or various appendages that can crush and destroy.

Their only weakness lay in their individual construction. Thankfully, they make large targets for missiles or Auto Cannon rounds fired from our artillery emplacements and satellites.

MechaBlitz communications take place along a series of coded channels, utilizing microwave and magnetic technology as well as regular radio transmissions and psychic networks simultaneously. We have been unable to fully crack their messages and language. The aliens respond to every attempt made at communication, but we cannot to understand - or even fully receive the message - because of our vastly different technology.

Their purpose on Earth was once assumed to be conquest, given the ferocity of their attacks and the fact that reinforcements were brought after Quantum knocked them back in time. Recent findings point towards something else as their prime directive. As the Blitz bombed and destroyed cities all over the globe, using space as their defensive territory, they have taken up constructing temporary defensive outposts. The outposts are always protected by at least two assault ships, and because of this, we have been unable to infiltrate any of them. Currently, they are all located along the western side of the American Territories.

After the outposts are taken apart, those areas show signs that the Blitz aren't simply here to destroy us. There is blatant evidence they are mining. Outposts leave craters thinner and deeper than any made by humans. Dr. Atomic believes the MechaBlitz are here looking for something.

So far, we have no idea what that may be.

Gabriel closed the handbook after reading through its relevant sections. Looking up, he noted the GPS readout on a holo-screen showed they were nearing their destination. Zero had fallen asleep, still snoring as the VI pilot announced their descent. Gabriel put the book back in the pile of stuff and pondered what he'd read.

He had known how Supers were Classified, as well as the fact Sentinels worked in teams of four. The positions like Offense and Defense were new for him, but they made more sense as he replayed the fight he had seen between the guards and Strike Force Beta. He thought it might be his calling to become an Offensive specialist.

The information about the MechaBlitz was interesting. Their Pulse Laser weaponry fascinated him as much as it terrified him, and from the pictures, their exo-suits were quite advanced. He may even be able to learn something if he could get his hands on some reverse-engineered schematics.

The theory that they were on Earth to find something made sense as well, why else would they be drilling so far into the ground, over and over again?

The engines died down and the lights in the cabin rose to a day-level. The bulkhead door slid open and the walkway descended to the ground. Gabriel stood and peered outside. He saw nothing but a long black tar runway stretching out for hundreds of meters ahead of him. As he turned back to wake Zero he jumped, startled. He had been standing behind him.

"You should pay better attention to your surroundings," Zero said with a grin. "Ready to see your new digs?" He stepped out of his transport, Gabriel following close behind.

"What do you mean? I don't see anything here. Is it underground?" Gabriel asked, looking around and seeing nothing but trees around the landing strip.

"Three, two... aaaand," Zero counted.

It was like Gabriel had the fog lifted from his eyes. With a shimmer, the symbol of the Sentinels appeared before him on a gargantuan wall. Zero chuckled at Gabriel's awestruck expression. "Welcome home kid."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

130 39 41
How will you feel if your parents never believed in you? How will you feel if they never wanted you? How will you feel if the society trampled upon y...
419 55 25
150 years in the future, after a huge war has devastated the Earth, everyone has evolved to become a superhero. Gabrielle is one of the only Prevalen...
Hope By Frances Adorno

Science Fiction

3 0 1
This story takes place on Earth in the 2040's. Is based on fiction and apocalyptic genre. The protagonist was the last environmentalist and his servi...
9 0 25
What happens when parallel universes collide? When a portal opens up in the middle of the city, it unleashes a reign of terror unlike anything that a...