Tenacious

By AllisonAsh

Gray and Matt, two surgeons vowed to save lives find themselves experiencing love for the first time in their... More

Tenacious
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight

Chapter Three

25 8 0
By AllisonAsh

Matthew Evans stared at Henry Maxwell, chairman of Maxwell Foundation as he hugged the newly appointed doctor. He has been working in this hospital for the past five years and he has never seen anyone doctor getting this much attention from the chairman, not even his children, niece or nephews who all worked here as doctors. What we need right now is an experienced surgeon, not someone someone who is so young and new. What in the world does she even know about this hospital? This is madness. 

He rose from his seat bringing attention to himself. "With all due respect, Sir, I don't understand why a new doctor should be appointed as the chief of surgery."

"There's nothing wrong in being new," Mark Maxwell answered, his voice held authority.

Matt sees his sister, Melinda Evans rise to her feet. "I agree with Dr. Evans, she is so young and has barely any knowledge about the hospital. We need someone experienced not some pretty doll," Melinda snapped. Matt winced slightly, that came out harshly. He looked at Dr. Gray who still stood her ground, her expression calm and steady. Hmm, she does have some guts.

"Mind what you talk, Dr. Evans," Ben Maxmell said, his voice held displeasure of Melinda's comment.

Darius Brannon, his best friend said, rising to his feet. "I think it's the wrong move for us right now."

"Chairman, is there a reason why Dr. Gray is appointed suddenly without notifying the board?" Dr. Carter, Matt's maternal uncle and Chief of Medicine questioned.

"As the head of the foundation I've to make a decision without wasting further time. The board members agrees with my decision. It was an unanimous vote. We don't have enough surgeons right now and the cases are piling up everyday and we need help," Henry stated.

"Don't mind them, Sir," Margaret Evans, his mother said, rising to her feet. She glared at Matt and Melinda before turning towards Henry. "They're acting like spoiled brats and they don't have a say in this. This is a decision made by you and moreover I think we should give Dr. Gray a chance to prove herself."

"Mom but she is not qual-"

"She's more qualified than you, Matthew. You don't have a say in this. She's a doctor who has enough experience. Don't talk if you know nothing."

He drew air sharply through his nose. They all trust her to manage the chaos of this hospital? Why? How? They had that fucking pretty doll on their side as if she can do something. How the hell could they think that woman knew anything about the hospital? She looked like she wouldn't know anything. 

He turned his gaze towards Dr. Gray who is already staring at him with those silver-blue eyes. She had pretty eyes, he'd give her that. Huge and bright. A pretty smile, too. He has to admit she looked gorgeous, it's not just her beauty but the way she held herself, her whole stance bold and brave. He wasn't his type but she has a kind of a pull. Her hair was nice, though, smooth and black and shiny. What would it feel like slipping through his fingers? Wrapped around his fist? Brushing over his bare chest?

He brushed of his thoughts as he faced his mother. "But we have a say in this. She's going to work with us," Matt said, raising his voice. He looked at Henry. "I'm sorry we cannot accept this decision."

Henry looked calm as he glanced at Dr. Gray who calmly walked towards the coffee machine to grab a coffee for her. Everyone stared at her movements until she took a sip from her freshly prepared coffee. He enjoyed her reaction immensely, the flutter of the lashes, the faint flush, the darkening of the eyes. "I buying my own coffee machine," she muttered, winking at Henry.

Matt blinked. Is she serious?

"What do you think?" Henry asked, looking at Matt and then at Dr. Gray.

Dr. Gray stepped forward, beside Henry Maxwell as she faced the crowd. "What are the residents doing here instead of doing their job?"

Matt froze.

"This is a meeting regarding the residents too," Melinda retorted but Dr. Gray wasn't buying it.

"Regarding what?" Gray asked as she faced Melinda. "Finding ways to kick out the chief of surgery even before she's appointed?"

Melinda was pissed. Matt had never seen his sister this angry before and he knew that it was something about Dr. Gray.

"They have a right to find ways to kick out an incompetent surgeon," Melinda responded, her lips turning into a smirk.

Dr. Gray's eyes narrowed as she watched Melinda. "Sounds fun. How did you decide a surgeon is incompetent without seeing his or her skills?"

"By looking at you," Melinda snapped. "You're not old enough to do a surgery."

Gray chuckled as she cocked her head. "What about you? Are you old enough to do a surgery? According to me, you look like a surgeon but behaves like an annoying teenager."

"How dare yo-" Melinda started but didn't complete.

"Don't you dare raise your voice against me when you know nothing about me or what actually is the problem," Gray said in a cold voice. "Who is she anyway?"

"Surgical resident," Xavier Maxwell, son of Henry provided.

Dr. Gray nodded her head. "I guess you didn't get your mother's level-headed behavior."

Margaret nodded her head eagerly. "You're absolutely right."

Matt rolled his eyes while Melinda glared at her mom.

Dr. Gray smiled at Margaret before turning back towards Melinda. "I'm a surgeon. My age is none of your bloody business but just for your information, I'm thirty-four years old. Older than you. I've been an attending for the past six years and I know very well how to handle my patients. My appointment is none of your business, it's the board's decision." Gray shook her head again. "I don't know who gave you the idea that the residents have a say in who gets appointed. You're a resident and you can't go around arguing with an attending because trust me, you won't work here anymore if you continue this. The management decides who gets appointed and as far as I know you're not a part of it." Her gaze turned cold. "I have years of experience in surgery so that's not something for you to worry about. Dr. Wilde will be back within few months and until he comes, I'm in charge whether you like it or not. I'm not here permanently so just as any normal human being would do, you need to learn to pitch in and do your part. Also keep in mind, wrong words can get you in trouble."

Odd, he thought, he hadn't pegged her to have a sharp mouth. His instincts were usually keen about such matters.

A glimmer of a smile worked around her mouth. He'd felt her gaze, as physical as a blow. When he'd turned towards her, when his eyes met her, another blow. A slow motion punch he hadn't been able to evade.

It was fascinating.

For one humming minute they stared at each other. He couldn't look away from her. Her eyes held his and she didn't blink even once. Only a smile touched her lips and she looked away from him but the smiled remained on her lips.

"I agree you can help us but we really need someone who has some experience in this hospital. There's many surgeons here in this hospital who are more qualified and has enough experience, it isn't fair to bring in someone new. It's against all procedures," Matt retorted, bitterness creeping into his voice.

"For the last time, there's a reason for going against all procedures and this is being done after the consultation of the board members who all created the procedures in the first place. If you can't deal with that, you can always walk out. Nobody is stopping you, Dr. Matthew Evans." With that she strolled out of the room.

Matt gritted his teeth.

Damn her! He knew she was right but he couldn't find within himself to admit it.

-----------------------

Half an hour later, Matt was in the bullpen listening to the complaints of the residents. 

"She's going to screw this up," Adrian Miller, second year resident complained.

"I don't know what the chairman was thinking."

"Seriously, I can't believe she's thirty four. She looks like she's in her early twenties. And how does she have six years of experience as an attending? That means she completed her residency when she was twenty-eight. That is impressive."

They continue their angry comments as Matt looked at Sam and Hannah, the interns who are quiet. Hannah has a frown on her face. "She's nice. And sweet," Hannah whispered, earning attention from the residents and Matt.

Matt raised his brows. Hannah started her internship just few weeks and she always looked nervous, so a comment like this from her is shocking. "Sweet? Are you serious?" Savannah asked, her blue eyes wide.

"She helped me in the morning with an unconscious patient. She was sweet and talked to me about what I should do. I like her." Matt's eyes widened slightly. How in the world did she have everyone on her side already?

Gray smiled brightly as she heard Hannah's words. She entered inside the bull pen where everyone were present. Everyone looked at her with curious eyes while she settled on the couch and opened the file her Uncle Mark gave her.

"Doctor, ER paged in," Nurse Lydia said as she rushed in.

Everyone looked at her. She raised her brows at the residents. "What are you all waiting for? Get to work," she snapped causing everyone to walk out of the room except Dr. Matthew Evans. She took another second to appreciate his handsome features.

"Why are you here? Nothing is ordinary when it's about you," Matt asked. He had an edge in his voice.

"Feeling the bite because you're not in charge?" She questioned, rising to her feet to face him. He might be more than six feet because even with her five-seven inches and heels, he still is a little taller than her.

His eyes filled with fury as he faced her. "You may not care about the patients or those doctors who are struggling but I do. It's not just a workplace for me. Melinda was right, you are really just a pretty doll." He walked out, slamming the door hard.

Normally Gray would have been angry with his words but right now she wasn't. He doesn't like her which is clear as crystal but she won't back off just because there are people who judge her without knowing anything about her.

Smart, quick and efficient is what her uncle told her about him. She isn't sure about any of these but he definitely has a temper in that huge body of his. And tons of passion for her hospital which she admired. You wanna know why I'm here? I'm here to make your life a tiny bit better.

Gray smiled as she moved towards the ER. It's time to start her job.

------------------------------

It's a CS patient and we need a surgeon. Matt thought as he worked on a bowel injury on another patient. Both patients seem to have been in the same accident.

"Dr. Evans?" Dr. Samantha Reese called, her eyes filled with panic as she continued checking on the CS patients.

"Page Dr. Zach." 

Savannah nodded as she sighed in frustration. She's in her fourth year, she's supposed to know what to do here. 

"Move away, Dr. Reese," Gray said and Savannah blinked as she stepped away from the patient.

Gray checked the heartbeat with the stethoscope ignoring everyone. "Vitals?"

Nobody replied. Gray lifted her head, glaring at them. "What are the vitals?"

"80 over 40. Heartbeat is 130," Savannah replied, standing on the right side of the bed.

"Nurse Blake, get me the chest portable," Gray said to the ER nurse. "Dr. Collins, hold the volume line and put in a central line. Give him six litres of oxygen via mask."

"Yes doctor," Dr. Collins replied, rushing to finish her task. She was surprised to know about that the new chief of surgery is none other than the doctor who helped her this morning.

"Echo please," she muttered to Nurse Lydia who nodded her head.

Matt watched her as she worked. Again, not the usual. She could have waited for the CS but she didn't, Matt didn't know what to make out of it. Moreover, she was fast and the others could barely catch up with her.

Those hands are not for administration, Matt thought. Those are the hands of a surgeon in every sense. If she was this good, why did she choose administration over surgery. Being the Chief of Surgery would definitely reduce her time as a surgeon and would focus more on the hospital administration. Why?

"Nurse Lydia, call anesthesiology and tell them that we need an anesthesiologist quickly. Prep the OT."

"Dr. Matt, what do I have here?" Matt heard Zach's voice as he comes into the view. His gaze falls on Matt and then widens when it falls on Gray. "Gray?"

Within seconds Zach wraps his arms around her, pulling her for a warm hug. "I missed you, you have no idea how much."

Matt grits his teeth when Gray wrapped her arms around Zach after sanitizing her hands. "I missed you too, honey."

How do they know each other? This was the question in Matt's mind as he stared at them.

Zach pulled away from Gray and turned towards Matt. "If she's here then why did you call me?" He then turns towards Gray. "Seriously? If I knew you were the new surgeon then I would have definitely attended the meeting."

She smiled at him warmly. "I'm the chief of surgery but I thought I would first start with a surgery before I move into other things. Can we talk after that? I need some help."

"Sure. Anything for you. Give me few minutes to make some calls," Zach said before walking out of the ER.

"Help my child, please." Matt heard the cry of a woman who is carrying her child inside the ER. Dr. Collins and Hannah rushed towards them. Just then another patient rushes in. ER is busy as always. William Drew, chief resident of GS moved to help. ER is really short on staff and he had to give it to Dr. Collins for handling the pressure.

Just then Nurse Lydia calls out for a CS doctor. Matt looks at Gray who remains calm as she continues checking her patient. "Dr. Reese, go and check the patient. Dr. Zach will join you soon."

Savannah hesitated for a second before following her orders. "Nurse Mia, lower the binds."

No, we should wait for Dr. Zach. We don't know anything about her. She might kill the patient," Dr. Emma Graham, second year resident blurts out.

Matt closes his eyes in frustration. "Get out," he snapped at Emma before Gray could step in. He didn't like Dr. Gray either but ER is not the place to handle the situation. He doesn't have patience for their nonsense. Her eyes widens in shock and slowly she steps back.

"Mia, binds," Gray said nonchalantly.

Matt watches Gray as she does her work without loosing her cool. A smile touches his lips when he realizes that he did underestimate her. She knows what she's doing.

five minutes later, the patient was stabilized. "Vitals?"

"Ninety over forty and heartbeat is 100."

"Done. Now move the patient to OT quickly and take the guardian's consent."

"Yes Doctor."

They immediately disposes the gloves and lowers binds. Matt finds Gray moving towards Zach where he was checking Savannah's patient. "Zach, can you assist me?"

Matt frowns. Assist her? Who the hell is she? "Of course, Gray. I always wanted to assist one of your surgeries."

Gray rolled her eyes. "Stop with your flattering and get to OT 1. I'm not yet familiar with the surgerical residents so I need you. The anesthesiologist and nurses are already there."

Zach nods his head as he muttered his instructions to Savannah and then moved towards the OT. Gray faces Matt with a smile, her mask is pulled down. "I need to have a talk with the residents once I complete the surgery. And yeah, you do look like you know what you're doing."

Their eyes met, and something strange happened in his chest- a hitch. What the hell? Directing his attention back to the patient, he hoped she'd take the hint and leave him alone. Fuck!

"We'll talk soon." With that last sentence, Gray strolled towards the OT.

---------------------

Hey everyone!

It's Friday and I'm here!

Hope you liked the meeting of Matt and Gray. Let me know what you think.

Don't forget to vote, comment and share my story.

Allison

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

678K 38.1K 30
"Call me an assh*le all you want. It won't stop me from making you the best doctor you can be." . . . . . Naomi Reece's life was complicated long be...
3.4M 148K 91
When Andy starts a complex and steamy love affair with her new boss, she discovers there's more to his arrogant facade than she originally thought. •...
48.1K 2.9K 50
[Complete] A NEW enemies to lovers, office romance. 🔥 Rated R for mature sexual content and graphic language • 18+ *** Two rivaling company presiden...