JUST BEST FRIENDS

By Samfreddy

Have you ever been madly in love with your childhood best friend, but they never loved you the same way? I me... More

CHAPTER 1: THE CHALLENGE.
CHAPTER 2: THE TURN DOWN.
CHAPTER 3: HOPE.
CHAPTER 4: SWEET CANDY.
CHAPTER 5: TRUTH OR DARE.
CHAPTER 6: THE PROMISE.
CHAPTER 8: HEARTBREAK ON A FULL MOON.
CHAPTER 9: THE REQUEST.
CHAPTER 10: ALL THE BEST.
CHAPTER 11: THE WARNING.
CHAPTER 12: THE DISCUSSION.
CHAPTER 13: A BIG MISTAKE.
CHAPTER 14: A SAD LOSS.
CHAPTER 15: A BLOODY NIGHTMARE.
CHAPTER 16: EMOTIONS.
CHAPTER 17: HAKUNA MATATA.
CHAPTER 18: FINAL WARNING.
CHAPTER 19: SUGAR AND SPICE.
CHAPTER 20: SHOTS GONE WRONG.
CHAPTER 21: LOVE IS BLIND.
CHAPTER 22: CHAOS.
CHAPTER 23: REVELATIONS.
CHAPTER 24: WELCOME TO LAGOS, BABY.
CHAPTER 25: LOVE OR LUST?
CHAPTER 26: PROOF.
CHAPTER 27: MAYHEM.
CHAPTER 28: INDECISION.
CHAPTER 29: HEART TO HEART.
CHAPTER 30: MOVING ON.
CHAPTER 31: PEACE OF MIND.
CHAPTER 32: CONSEQUENCES.
CHAPTER 33: COMPLICATIONS.
CHAPTER 34: RECONCILIATION.
CHAPTER 35: A WAKE-UP CALL.
CHAPTER 36: DEEP REGRET.
CHAPTER 37: KARMA STRIKES.
CHAPTER 38: THE BIG NEWS.
CHAPTER 39: A DREAM COME TRUE.
CHAPTER 40: MEMORIES.
CHAPTER 41: HOMICIDE.
CHAPTER 42: GOODBYE.
CHAPTER 43: RIP.
AUTHOR'S NOTE
BOOK PROMOTION.

CHAPTER 7: LISTEN TO THE RADIO.

859 193 18
By Samfreddy

#JUST_BEST_FRIENDS

Author: Sam Freddy

CHAPTER 7: LISTEN TO THE RADIO.

-
-
-

Dressed in a knee-length sky blue gown, Idara danced outside in the very light rain, whirling and twirling with exceptional vigour and profound agility. She saw herself performing on stage in front of a relatively large audience, competing against other skilled dancers like herself.

So far so good, she'd beaten many of her fellow competitors out of the big tournament and had gotten to the final round without breaking a sweat. But when her last opponent came out from behind the curtains, Idara was stunned as she saw that it was none other than Yomi, her very own incomparable sunflower, charging at her with an expressionless look on his face.

The moment he stood before her, the location changed from a wide, noisy hall to a quiet, spacious, adorned garden which stood next to a mighty waterfall. Softly, a beautiful little butterfly perched on Idara's shoulder as a calm wind kissed her face, blowing her loose hair about in the air like tiny paper planes.

Carefully, Yomi placed two stray strands of hair at the back of Idara's ear and held her hands lovingly. "Isabelle, I have a confession to make."

Idara blinked twice, feeling tensed. "A confession? Well, go ahead, Yomee. I'm listening."

"Isabelle, I love you." Yomi blinked at her, rubbing the back of her hands with his creamy thumbs. "I've always loved you since we were teens, but I couldn't tell you then because you were older, and I felt like you deserved someone better. But now I can't hide it anymore. I have to let you know that I'm truly in love with you, babe, and that I want you to be mine. Will you please be my better half, Idara?"

"No. I can't accept this!" A thunderous voice came from nowhere. "Wake up!"

Instantly, the cute butterfly flew away as an invisible hand tapped on Idara's back with so much force. "I said, wake up, my friend!"

Slowly, Idara opened her eyes and raised her head up from the long table, only to see a lecturer standing right beside her seat. Glancing around, she came to the shocking realization that almost every other student's eyes were on her, all eager to see how the budding drama would unfold.

"Stand up, young lady." The angry lecturer commanded, snapping his fingers impatiently. "Right now!"

Obediently, Idara did just that. She was so surprised to know that he knew her name, because she was more of a loner, especially in class.

Looking down at the ground in-between her feet, Idara said, "Good morning, Mr. Suraj."

Dr. Suraj ignored her greeting. "Sleeping in my class, are we?"

"I'm sorry, sir. I dozed off."

"Is that so?" Dr. Suraj widened his eyes, marvelling at Idara's height. "So are you trying to say that my lecture is boring for you, Madam Tall Girl?"

"No, sir."

"Are you sick?"

"Not really, sir."

"So you are very healthy, yet you fell asleep in the process of an important lecture?" Dr. Suraj hissed with disdain. "Just look at your mates studying hard, and here you are, wasting your father's money. Can you imagine such nonsense!"

"Leave her alone, Mr. Lecturer." Anastasia intervened. "She's been having serious mood swings since yesterday night. Please don't make it worse."

Dr. Suraj marvelled at Anastasia's confidence. "Are you talking to me like that, young woman?"

Anastasia looked him in the eye and sighed. "With due respect, sir, I didn't say anything wrong. All I'm saying is-"

"Hold it right there!" Dr. Suraj gestured with his left hand, interrupting Anastasia's speech. "I have just two questions for you, and the first one is, are you in this department?"

"No." Anastasia wagged her head, running her fingers through her hair. "I'm a law student, and my class starts by one o'clock on Wednesdays. I only came here to chill for some time."

"I see." Dr. Suraj gritted his teeth, glaring furiously at Anastasia's cool face. "Secondly, who is she to you?"

"She's a sister from another mother." Anastasia replied smugly. "She's my dear friend, sir."

"All right. Get out of my class, both of you."

"But, sir-"

"Shush!" Dr. Suraj silenced Idara's protest and pointed at the door. "Out. Now!"

"Okayyy, Mr. Lecturer." Anastasia drawled, putting Idara's books in Idara's schoolbag. "We will surely leave, but, please, just stop yelling, because the whole class knows that we did absolutely nothing wrong to you."

"Yesss!"

"Exactly!"

"Correct!"

"Abi o!"

So many students said different words of agreement while a few others only clapped in support of both ladies. Grinning to herself, Anastasia put her arm around her friend's shoulders and said, "Come on, Dara. Let's go."

With that, Idara and Anastasia walked over to the front door like two very classy bosses, and then they high-fived on their way out of the noisy auditorium.

When they'd gotten out of the compound through the rear gate, Idara said, "Thanks for having my back back there, Asia."

"You're welcome, girlfriend." Anastasia finally removed her arm from Idara's shoulders to give her some breathing space. "Let me guess, you didn't sleep properly last night, aye?"

"Yeah. How'd you know?"

Anastasia rolled her eyes at the silly question. "I know you better than your own mother, Dara. After what you witnessed between Yomi and Candice, I figured you'd have problems with sleeping during the night. Looks like I was right after all."

Idara glanced away, apparently at a loss for words.

"Honestly, Dara, I don't even know why you bother so much about that guy. He clearly doesn't see you as you see him. I mean, his words and actions have proven it a million times that he's not that into you. What other sign could you possibly need?"

Idara remained mute, avoiding eye contact with Asia.

"You know, if I were you I'd try someone else," Anastasia suggested, batting her eyelashes.

"Someone else, like who?"

"Someone like my brother, of course." Anastasia sounded somewhat persuasive. "That poor guy has been through hell for your attention, but you hardly even acknowledge his existence. And it's not fair, really."

Idara swallowed hard, feeling guilty as charged.

"See, as far as I know, Tayo has never dated any other woman since his ex-girlfriend died five years ago," Anastasia added. "Why don't you just give him a chance, Dara?"

"I can't believe you're the one saying this." Idara looked at the two-faced lady walking beside her with great surprise. "Weren't you the same person who advised me to shoot my shot at Yomi some days back?"

"Yes, I said so, and I also remember saying something about fate and some kinda girl taking your place soon if you wasted time." Anastasia argued, shrugging her shoulders impulsively. "As fate may have it, Candice is the new lass who has come to take your place. And, as far as I know, Yomi likes her already. So I'll suggest you move on, darling. Open your heart to someone who's worthy of your love, for your own good."

Idara instantly halted, staring at her 'deceitful' friend in wonder. "You are such a hypocrite, Asia." She shook her head, feeling strongly betrayed. "So, in a nutshell, what you're telling me is to quit making advances at Yomi and settle for your brother instead, right?"

"Yes. I mean no. Well, yes and no." Anastasia prattled, halting as well. "Yes, in the sense that you really need to realize that there are far better people out there than your so-called Yomi. People who truly know your worth and are willing to sacrifice their all for you. And no, in the sense that it doesn't have to be my brother. It's your life, and I can't run it for you, Dara. In the end, you get to decide who you want to rock with. All I'm trying to do is guide you, sweetie. Don't get it twisted. I'm just being honest and neutral, that's all."

"Honest and neutral my brown arse." Idara smiled and crossed her arms. "I could've sworn you were on your brother's side a minute ago. Now here you are, claiming honesty. If I nod you ehn."

Anastasia chuckled with her hands on her hips. "Yep, I'm sure as hell guilty of that. But, jokes aside, I'd really be glad if you were my brother's girl, you know?"

Idara blushed. "Yeah, I guess so."

Anastasia smirked and took two steps closer to Idara. "Babe, can you promise me something?"

Idara raised an eyebrow. "Depends on what you are asking and if it's within my power."

"Oh, believe me, it's something you can do," said Anastasia, wearing a serious look.

"Fine. Shoot." Idara agreed. "I'm listening."

Anastasia smiled. "Dara, I need you to promise me that you'd give Tayo a chance if things don't work out between you and Yomi eventually."

Quite surprised, Idara giggled. "Is that all?"

"Yes. Promise me. I need your word."

Idara gave it some thought before saying, "All right, then." Then she winked and added, "I'll put that into consideration. I promise."

__________

Meanwhile, Tayo clicked his cell closed after receiving a call from a client who'd just paid the balance of his money for an online job he did a week ago. He was standing in front of a roadside kiosk, waiting to be served by a female attendant who had taken his order.

After he'd been attended to, Tayo left the queue. He got into his car, turned on the ignition and was about to drive when he saw Yomi at a distant parking lot, opening his car door for a lady who held an umbrella that covered her upper body from the blazing sunshine.

Tayo instantly recognized the pretty lady, due to her fashionable attire and her complexion.

Ordinarily, Tayo would've hollered at them if only they weren't too far from him. So, calmly, he watched as they both entered Yomi's car and Yomi drove away from the crowded parking lot to God knows where. Tayo waited until Yomi's vehicle was out of sight before driving his car away from the roadside parking space to the main road.

Barely three minutes into the drive to his favorite canteen, Tayo spotted two very familiar ladies walking on a broad sidewalk, both chatting merrily under the sun.

Instinctively, he sped up and slowed down when he'd gotten a little bit ahead of them, then he pressed his car horn and started waving his hand outside through his car window. In no time at all, Idara and Anastasia saw Tayo's signal and joined him in the car.

After they'd all exchanged pleasantries, Tayo said, "Ladies, you both might not believe this, but I'm at a point where I already know your respective schedules by heart. Ana, I'm aware that your class starts in the afternoon, so you have some time to flex before then. But what I don't understand is why you are out here when you actually have an ongoing class, Elle."

"She was sent out of her class." Anastasia explained from the back seat. "I mean both of us, actually."

"Why? What'd you two do?"

"Well, she was kicked out for sleeping in class." Anastasia scoffed, looking out the car window. "And I was 'evicted' for defending her. Pretty cool, right?"

Tayo laughed. "That is really messed up," he said, keeping his eyes on the road. "Really, really messed up."

"Yeah." Idara couldn't help but laugh too. "For real, man."

"Yup. Nice dress, by the way." Tayo complimented her, stealing glances at her pale blue gown. "Love the design. Looks good on you."

Idara bit her bottom lip. "Thanks, T."

"Pleasure's all mine, as usual." Tayo gave her a sideways wink and smiled. "So was Yomi sent out, too?"

"Yomi?" Idara looked confused. "Yomi is going to be absent throughout today. He's not in school."

"Says who?" Tayo cocked his head to the side, glancing at Idara through the corner of his eyes. "Somebody that I saw with a woman earlier."

"That's not possible." Idara disagreed sharply. "Yomi personally told me over the phone that he'd be unavailable today because he has issues to sort out at his salon. Maybe you saw someone that looked like him, you know?"

Tayo shook his head slowly. "Trust me, Elle, I know exactly who I saw. He was in his car with that oyibo chick from yesterday's party. What's her name again?"

"You mean Candice?" Idara gasped, wide-eyed. "The albino girl?"

"Yup. Exactly." Tayo confirmed at once. "She was the one I saw."

"Oh, no." Idara suddenly felt uneasy. "Where did you see them?"

"Somewhere around Jaja Hall, in a parking lot to be precise." Tayo looked at Idara with concern. "But they left before I even got the chance to drive over and say hello. Um, are you all right?"

"Yeah, sure. I am." Idara's breathing became rapid. "You said that you saw them together in Yomi's car, shebi?"

"Yes." Tayo nodded, sensing Idara's discomfort. "What's wrong, Elle?"

Idara paid deaf ears to Tayo's question. "Please what's the time there?" She asked, pointing at his wristwatch.

Tayo peeked at his wristwatch and said, "It's eleven thirty-four right now."

"Ah, thank God. That means the radio show is still on."

"What radio show?" Anastasia sounded confused. "I'm totally lost here."

"Never mind." Idara voiced over her shoulder, then she looked back at Tayo's face and said, "Please pull over and give me a minute. I need to go outside and make an important phone call ASAP!"

__________

Driving out through the school's main gate, Yomi glanced at Candice who was busy taking selfies with his smartphone and smiled to himself. She was sitting right beside him, sticking her tongue out at the triple, fancy iPhone cameras.

Yomi shook his head and sighed. Girls. He'd never understand their nature, especially when it comes to the picture aspect. Their undying love for photography was just simply amazing. Truly overwhelming.

Yomi didn't want to disturb Candice by starting a conversation, so he turned on the car radio instead to listen to his favorite radio program. The moment he tuned in to his preferred radio station, Yomi heaved a sigh of relief, deeply excited to hear the sonorous voices of his favorite on-air personalities.

OAP 1: Heyo, beautiful people. Welcome back to the Request Show. If you are just tuning in, this is Suave FM, 120.5, the only station that plays good music for your listening pleasure. And what you just heard was Loving You by the king of pop himself, Michael Jackson. Really great tune, ain't it?

OAP 2: Definitely, bruh. You just gotta love that man, folks. He ain't playin'.

OAP 1: That's wassup. All right, beautiful people. We are your hosts, Gabby and Sherry. Y'all know the numbers to call, so give us a call and make your requests, fellas. C'mon, Sherry. Open the phone lines.

SHERRY: (laughs) Right on it.

GABBY: All right. Someone's on the line. Hello!

CALLER: (coughs) Hello. Good morning.

Yomi instantly furrowed his eyebrows, surprised to hear the familiar voice of the woman on the radio station's line.

GABBY: Morning, cupcake. Welcome to the Request Show.

CALLER: Yeah. Thank you. So, um, this is Suave FM, I suppose?

SHERRY: Absolutely, sunshine. What's your name and where are you calling from?

CALLER: (hesitates briefly) Uh, my name is Elle, and I'm calling from Surulere.

Yomi's eyebrows shot up at that as he glanced at Candice who was completely engrossed in the phone in her hands. He thought she was also listening, but unfortunately, she wasn't.

SHERRY: Okay, Elle. What brings you to the show?

ELLE: Well, I'd like to make a request. Can I?

GABBY: Sure, why not? Go ahead, please.

ELLE: Okay. Please play me Sent From Heaven by Keyshia Cole. I'm dedicating it to a special someone.

SHERRY: Aww, that's lovely. I love that song.

ELLE: (chuckles) Me, too.

SHERRY: (sighs) So does this special someone have a name, sunshine?

ELLE: Of course, he does. (chuckles again) His name is Yomi, and he's the best thing that has ever happened to me.

At this juncture, Yomi's jaw dropped in amazement. 'Could this be who I think it is?' He seriously wondered. 'Is this Idara?'

ELLE: (sniffs and coughs) So, baby-boo, just in case you are listening, I just want you to know that I, um... That I love you, and I will always love you, even in my grave. From Elle, your dearest better half.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34.7K 7K 47
Started- May 07 2020 Completed- July 26 2020 Highest Rankings #1 in lekki (4/08/2020) #1 naija stars (5/08/2020) #5 in secondary school(17/07/2020) #...
260K 80.1K 98
We're all broken, all beautifully Imperfect. They say these would be the best days of our lives but does that mean it could be the worst too? For a t...
6.5K 1.7K 43
My words vanished the moment I locked gazes with the girl in question. I looked down at the book in my hand. Fenix Alade was written boldy on the fro...
86K 13.4K 52
" Idara it's not like that , let me explain . " He said begging her again but she had made up her mind. "Look everything and everyone is saying it's...