JUST BEST FRIENDS

By Samfreddy

Have you ever been madly in love with your childhood best friend, but they never loved you the same way? I me... More

CHAPTER 1: THE CHALLENGE.
CHAPTER 2: THE TURN DOWN.
CHAPTER 3: HOPE.
CHAPTER 5: TRUTH OR DARE.
CHAPTER 6: THE PROMISE.
CHAPTER 7: LISTEN TO THE RADIO.
CHAPTER 8: HEARTBREAK ON A FULL MOON.
CHAPTER 9: THE REQUEST.
CHAPTER 10: ALL THE BEST.
CHAPTER 11: THE WARNING.
CHAPTER 12: THE DISCUSSION.
CHAPTER 13: A BIG MISTAKE.
CHAPTER 14: A SAD LOSS.
CHAPTER 15: A BLOODY NIGHTMARE.
CHAPTER 16: EMOTIONS.
CHAPTER 17: HAKUNA MATATA.
CHAPTER 18: FINAL WARNING.
CHAPTER 19: SUGAR AND SPICE.
CHAPTER 20: SHOTS GONE WRONG.
CHAPTER 21: LOVE IS BLIND.
CHAPTER 22: CHAOS.
CHAPTER 23: REVELATIONS.
CHAPTER 24: WELCOME TO LAGOS, BABY.
CHAPTER 25: LOVE OR LUST?
CHAPTER 26: PROOF.
CHAPTER 27: MAYHEM.
CHAPTER 28: INDECISION.
CHAPTER 29: HEART TO HEART.
CHAPTER 30: MOVING ON.
CHAPTER 31: PEACE OF MIND.
CHAPTER 32: CONSEQUENCES.
CHAPTER 33: COMPLICATIONS.
CHAPTER 34: RECONCILIATION.
CHAPTER 35: A WAKE-UP CALL.
CHAPTER 36: DEEP REGRET.
CHAPTER 37: KARMA STRIKES.
CHAPTER 38: THE BIG NEWS.
CHAPTER 39: A DREAM COME TRUE.
CHAPTER 40: MEMORIES.
CHAPTER 41: HOMICIDE.
CHAPTER 42: GOODBYE.
CHAPTER 43: RIP.
AUTHOR'S NOTE
BOOK PROMOTION.

CHAPTER 4: SWEET CANDY.

952 206 19
By Samfreddy

#JUST_BEST_FRIENDS

Author: Sam Freddy

CHAPTER 4: SWEET CANDY.

-
-
-

In all honesty, Yomi's birthday party was a blast. It was a low-key event, as planned, and it was strictly by invitation. There were a lot of important factors that spiced up the celebration, such as lots of beautiful ladies, surplus drinks and snacks, a big, fine cake, and very fun games, to mention but a few.

A total of twenty-five people were present at the ceremony - including the celebrant himself - and it lasted for one hour at Unilag's Love Garden. Then, when it was over, so many people left, while a few others stayed behind to have some more fun.

Presently, the time was 9:13 PM, and Yomi was with Jordan, Steve, Jonathan, Candice, Alice, Betty, and Isioma. Steve and Jonathan were both Yomi's good friends and course mates, while Alice, Betty and Isioma were all Candice's hot friends and roommates. They were all chattering on their way to the Lagoon Front.

Meanwhile, Idara, Tayo and Anastasia were all absent from the group, because they all went together to return the plastic chairs and the bottles that had been used at the party.

Swinging her arms in the air, Candice spun around right on the walkway and screamed at the top of her lungs, saying, "Best. Frickin'. Party. Ever! I swear down!"

"You can say that again." Alice agreed from the back. "But it's such a shame that there was no weed on ground sha."

"As in ehn." Betty chipped in too. "Not even a common cigar sef. Na wetin spoil am for me be that," she added, grimacing. "I mean, the party was dope for sure, but without the necessary highness I expected, the whole thing just felt too soft for me jor. I mean no offense to you, though, Broda Yomi."

Looking over his shoulder, Yomi forced a smile. "None taken, dear," he said, quite surprised about what he just heard from them. "At least you both enjoyed yourselves. That is all that matters."

Alice and Betty nodded in agreement. Now, with his eyes on the face of the attractive lady walking beside him, Yomi whispered to her, saying, "Damn. I never would've taken your friends for smokers, Candy. Do y'all do it together?"

"Nah. They smoke, I don't."

"Ah, thank God." Yomi heaved a sigh of relief. "I can't even imagine you puffing on a joint in my presence. That'll be a complete turn-off for me, for real."

Candice furrowed her eyebrows. "Like, seriously? But you drank alcohol some minutes ago. What makes you different from a smoker?"

"There's a big difference, dear. Trust me."

"I don't think so." Candice disagreed sharply. "Smoking, drinking, prostitution, fornication, adultery and so on are all categorized under sin. No sin is bigger than the other. So, in a nutshell, we are all going to hell, fam."

Yomi instantly gave her an icy glare. "Take that back immediately. Nobody among us is going to hell, by God's grace."

Candice bit her upper lip to keep herself from laughing out loud. "Okey-dokey. I take it back. But is that why you are now looking at me like that?" She gave Yomi a light tap on his shoulder and stuck her tongue out at him. "Somebody cannot even play with you in peace. See your long head."

Yomi nudged Candice's arm in return. "At least my head is still fine the way it is. See your own small bum-bum."

Candice kicked Yomi's leg gently as she laughed at that. "Ehen abi? Thank you o. Leave it for me. I like it like that," she hissed, smiling. "Come to think of it, where do you stay?"

"Off campus. Yaba. And you?"

"Right here in school. Moremi Hall, second block. For now, though." Candice snapped her fingers for emphasis. "Planning on gettin' an apartment soon. Only a matter of time. Plus, um, you live alone?"

"Yup. Always have been."

"Bingo! I thought as much." Candice shrugged her shoulders. "Only God knows how many poor girls you sleep with in that house on a daily basis."

Yomi shook his head in blatant disapproval. "Nah, I don't do that. I'm too shy and well principled to live such lifestyle."

Candice found Yomi's words very hilarious. "You know, that's a little hard to believe, especially when it's coming from someone whose birthday party was filled with more than fifteen señoritas who were all drooling over him." She eyed him suspiciously. "But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, anyway. So, um, what about your girlfriend? Does she school here, too?"

"Unfortunately, I don't have a girlfriend."

"You gotta be kiddin' me, homie." Candice's eyes widened automatically. "A fine boy like you can never be single. That's a fact."

Yomi looked her in the eyes, smiled, and shook his head again. "You'd be surprised, dear."

Still finding it hard to believe, Candice shrugged and said, "That's highly impossible. But, I guess I'll just find a way to believe that, too. And, um, what exactly do you do?" She asked. "I mean, like, er, a job, to be precise. Are you working?"

"Definitely. I'm a barber." Yomi nodded affirmatively. "I don't mean to brag, but I own one of the best salons in Lagos, and it's run by three of my skilled employees because I hardly go there, unless I'm needed to sort some bills and blah blah blah. They're all professionals, so they handle the shop pretty good," he shrugged. "And, uh, I offer home services, too, only for the VIP customers who pay me well. I mean, if you ask me, I'd say I'm very blessed and satisfied with the life I'm living, Candy."

"Wooowww!" Candice clapped her hands in pure amazement. She'd just found a living money bag, after all. "So you're a barber, and a good one at that. That's great. That explains the nice haircut you've got on. Pretty fantastic style, if I should say."

Yomi laughed, feeling himself. "Thanks."

"But, seriously, you're doing so good for yourself, Yomi," said Candice. "Did you start the business on your own? All alone? I wanna know."

"Yeah, I did. Started it from scratch, all by myself." Yomi grinned proudly. "Just so you know, my pops is literally like the famous Aliko Dangote. He's into electronics. Dude has all the money in the world, but I refused to dwell on his wealth, so I sought greener pastures for myself. To do that successfully, I had to leave home and stay with a distant relative for a whole year."

"Wow. That's a whole new level of bravery."

"Trust me, it was hard. Very hard!" Yomi continued speaking. "I did several menial jobs during that time, before I finally settled on being an apprentice for a popular barber in the hood. Even my mother, who is a chartered accountant, wanted to assist me back then, but I always disagreed stubbornly. Eventually, she gave up on me. But, look at me today, chap. I finally made it, and they're both proud of me. And here I am, living large. Is God not wonderful?"

"He is, indeed." Candice gazed at Yomi in admiration. "Truth be told, I'm very impressed with you. This is frickin' inspiring. You should write a book about it or something. I swear, you'll blow, big time."

"Nah. I highly doubt that." The smile on Yomi's face turned to a wide grin as he laughed softly. "So, what about you, Candy? What are you into?"

"Me? Meh! Not much, really. Just modelling and cosmetics. I don't have a shop where I sell them, though. I only do deliveries for now." Candice said, while avoiding eye contact with Yomi. "Plus, I'm a make-up artist, and a very talented one for that matter. But the pay is pretty... well... wack. To be very honest with you."

"Come on, you don't have to feel bad. At least you have something doing." Yomi placed a hand on her shoulder, giving her a reassuring smile. "Look at me, Candy. Come on."

Slowly, Candice turned her head until she was face to face with Yomi.

"Candice, if I were you I'd be grateful for the little I have. Instead of complaining, thank God for your situation and pray that it gets much better with time. I mean, look on the bright side: This same business you're into helps in sorting your bills one way or the other. True or false?"

"True stuff." Candice replied, matter-of-factly. "As much as I hate to admit it, you have a very solid point, Yomi. So far, with the short period of time I've spent in this school, I've seen so many girls that sleep with different men just for monetary gains. But here I am, legit hustling for my own good. And, frankly, I've been making real progress without sellin' my body to any-freakin'-body. Truly, I think it's somethin' that is worth being grateful for."

"You see what I mean? That's the spirit, girl." Yomi gave Candice a gentle pat on her back. "I'm so proud of you, for real. And I gotta confess that I'm seriously starting to envy your boyfriend, big time. Whoever he is, he's one helluva lucky dude to have you, Candy."

Candice blinked and laughed heartily. "Guess what, Yomi?"

"What, Candy?"

"I don't have a lover either." Candice smiled radiantly as she held Yomi's hand and twined her fingers around his. "And I don't mind being the one who fills the vacuum in your poor, lonely heart, cutie. What do you say to that, love?"

What do you think about this chapter, lovely people? Have you been enjoying the ride so far? Please comment and VOTE! 😁

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.5K 1.7K 43
My words vanished the moment I locked gazes with the girl in question. I looked down at the book in my hand. Fenix Alade was written boldy on the fro...
260K 80.1K 98
We're all broken, all beautifully Imperfect. They say these would be the best days of our lives but does that mean it could be the worst too? For a t...
35.2K 4.8K 36
"Nimi, a frustrated church girl, encounters her biggest temptation yet when she lands herself in the arms of Lagos' most eligible bachelor..." Nimi i...
35.5K 7.6K 60
"Jace stop"I murmured in between his lips. "Michelle,It has always been you"Jace whispered. "Please stop,love isn't real in your world so why now...