To Deceive A Duke

By vickitickitoria

{Shortlisted for the Wattys 2022} It's 1798 and The Lenoir family controls a significant part of London's dre... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Epilogue

Chapter 54

3.4K 210 23
By vickitickitoria

The night has truly fallen when Clarissa eventually gets up and goes inside. She calls for a bath, promising to tell Alice about the night's events, tomorrow, before sending her away. She climbs into the bath, closing her eyes and relishing the bubbles. She washes the dried blood from her body and hair, the heavenly warm water doing wonders for her aching muscles. When the bath, at last, turns cold, she climbs out and dries herself, plaiting her wet hair into one long braid and slipping into a nightgown.

She walks into her room and stops, staring at her cold bed. She glances through to her study, and the door that leads to Daniels's bedroom seems to stand out in the dim light. She walks over to it, her feet padding across the rugs, and places a hand on the handle.  She slowly opens the door, listening carefully. Level breathing comes from the large bed, and she can see the outline of his body under the sheets. Her heart begins to race as she hovers in the doorway, unsure of what to do next. 

"You are not a coward," She whispers to herself before slipping into his room and shutting the door to her wing. 

She is careful not to crash into any furniture as she walks over to her side bed. Daniel is sleeping soundly on the right side, tucked into the pillows and facing the middle of the bed. The covers have slid off his broad shoulders, and they rest on his waist letting her see the white bandages covering the lower half of his torso. She tries not to disturb him as she lies down on the top of the covers.  She turns onto her side to face him, marvelling at the peaceful expression he wears as he dreams. It's such a contrast to the dark scowl he usually wears. Her gaze raves over his handsome face and an intense war wages within her mind. 

"I think I could love you if you let me," She confesses into the darkness. She holds her breath, half expecting him to open his eyes and reply but he doesn't. She turns onto her back and stares at the ceiling, "I don't know what today was. I don't know what part was an act and what was real. You terrify me, you terrify me in the best way possible because I want to love you."

He murmers something in his sleep and his blonde hair falls across his face. He looks so innocent. She squeezes her eyes shut, determined to face her feelings and not shy away from what could be. She turns back onto her side, and he is so close to her that their noses are almost touching. 

"I lied," She admits, "I know I could love you if you let me, so let me, please, because I am not going to leave you, Daniel," Her voice breaks, and she sniffs, "I see all you, I see everything and I am not leaving, because..." She inhales sharply, "Because I am falling for you, Cavendish. Please be there to catch me,"

A weight lifts off her chest and she can finally breathe properly. She watches her husband sleep for a few minutes more before carefully climbing off the bed and heading to her own. She dives under her covers and settles into her pillows, intense fatigue claiming her. Her eyelashes flutter and she yawns, turning over and falling asleep. Clarissa expects to dream of Baines and Lestrade, and of Jack, but the nightmares never come and she sleeps soundly. Her sleep is only disturbed in the morning when an intense heat circles around her. 

She blinks awake, rubbing her eyes as bright light peaks through the gaps in the curtains. It takes her a moment to register her surroundings and when she does, she tenses and stops breathing. There is someone in her bed, a someone who is holding her, one muscular arm thrown over her waist while the other is curled around her head. The blonde hair and sharp features are instantly recognisable as Daniel's, as she is pressed against him, his warm body radiating the heat that woke her up. She tries to turn her head but she quickly notices that his head is pressed into the back of her neck and she can't risk moving without waking him.

Her mind races and her flight instinct heightens. What the hell is he doing in her bed? She quickly scans to the room to confirm that this is definitely her bedroom. The blue sheets and cream pillows reassure her. She cranes her neck to take another look at him. Part of her hopes that the doctor gave him some kind of sedative that will keep him sleeping while she escapes his arms, but her logic screams that that is too much of a risk to take. She looks across to her bedside table, hoping to spot something helpful but there are only books within reach. 

"So how are you getting out of this trap?" Daniel murmurs into her hair. 

"How long have you been awake?" She fumes, wriggling out of his arms and sitting up in bed, putting distance between them, 

"Long enough." He replies, awkwardly propping himself up on the pillows. 

 She shoots him a furious glare, "What the hell?"

"What?" He gives her a crooked smile that would make her knees weak if she were standing. 

"Why are you in my bed?" She demands, folding her arms. 

"The doctor prescribed me bed rest," He says like it is obvious, "This is a bed," 

"This is my bed," She says pointedly, "You have your own!" 

Daniel smirks, "You cannot blame an injured man for wanting the company of his wife to aid in his recovery," He clutches at his stomach for dramatic effect. 

She scoffs and scrambles out of bed, flicking the covers into his face. She grabs her nearest robe and pulls it on, tying it around her waist. She spins to face him, glowering fiercely, "This is not funny, you have so much to answer for and yet you think it's acceptable to do this?" She shakes her head, "You are despicable,"

"No, wait," He shifts forward, regret in his eyes, "I am sorry, I didn't mean to do..." 

She laughs mirthlessly, "Do you expect me to accept such an apology? After everything you have done?" She turns away, her head in her hands. How could she be so stupid? So blind? Why did she think that everything would be fine, when it can never be? She strides to the window and looks out into the garden, anger blurring her vision of the trees. 

"I had a nightmare," Daniel admits, his voice strangled, "But I heard you say that see me, that you see everything, and you aren't leaving. Is that true?" 

She freezes, her eyes widening as she recognises her own words, "Your lying," She says automatically. 

"I never lie angel," He says sadly, "I heard you," 

She spins around and marches over to him, "You were sleeping," She accuses, "You shouldn't have heard a word,"

"But I did," He moves to sit at the end of the bed, shortening the distance between them, "I heard you, and I am going catch you because I've already fallen," 

She looks down at him, his expression so honest and open, but her head refuses to trust him and she looks away, fighting back tears of frustration. 

"You gave me a choice," He continues, taking her hand, "And I am choosing you, I want you to be in my life, in every moment, in the good and in the bad. I want all of you," 

"I gave you that choice before you stole The Strand," She replies thickly, ripping her hand away, "It's a little different now, don't you think?" 

He sighs, "Yes, you are right, a lot has happened," 

Clarissa walks over to the nearest chair and sinks into it, staring at the empty fireplace. She hears him groan as he struggles to stand and walk over to her. He takes it slowly but gets there, clutching at the backrest as he gently lowers himself into the seat. She offers him no sympathy as he adjusts to get comfy, wincing as he moves. She keeps herself impassive, regarding him with little emotion and a calculating mind. 

"I'll listen to whatever you have to say," She decides, "But that is all, the rest is up to me," 

He inclines his head graciously, "Thank you." 

He is quiet for a moment as he ponders upon the best place to start, and then he speaks, "Peter came to me a couple of days after our first meeting and suggested that I put my name on all of the legal documentation relating to The Strand. He said that you would never have to know but that it would improve the security of The Strand and ensure the future for the people. A future that couldn't be taken away by other men like me," He looks down into his hands, "I signed because I thought it was my duty to protect you and your people, not because I wanted to," 

"Duty over compassion, right?" Clarissa sneers, "You fight for what you believe is your duty, not for those you care about. I see it now, but you never had a duty to The Strand. You never owed them a thing." 

"But as your husband, no matter how fake our marriage, I have a duty to you," He replies, "You care about The Strand and therefore so must I. By signing I thought I was securing The Stand for you, forever." 

"That's either a very pretty lie or an ignorant truth," She comments bitterly. He gives her a look and she chuckles, "But of course you don't lie," 

"I suppose my caring for you has driven me to ignorance," 

"Caring is not ignorance, ignorance is just that,...ignorance."

He grins ruefully, "I don't mind being ignorant for you," Then his expression grows regretful, "If I could take it back I would, I never saw beyond the facts. I didn't think how it would affect you, I didn't want to make you run from me," 

"I ran because I could," She says, tilting her head, "I saved you because I could, and I missed that shot, because I could. No one gets to control what I do, least of all a man with superiority issues and average mark. You do no get to make decisions for me, and you will give me back The Strand," 

He bows his head, "Of course, I have only one question," 

Clarissa raises her eyebrows expectingly. 

"Where did you go?" 

"I went to my parent's house," She replies, her upper lip curling, "And then I went to see Wyn," 

"The lawyer?" Daniel questions, frowning, "Why?" 

"Because you hurt me and I wanted to watch you burn," She admits, "I asked him to destroy our marriage licence and create a real one in its place," She leans on the arm of the chair, resting her head on the tips of her fingers, "I still might," 

"Why?"

"So that I can take everything from you," She says darkly, her purple eyes flashing, "So that it all becomes mine,"

"Smart," He says with a hint of approval, "There's only one problem," 

"What?" She sits up straighter. 

"The only way to take everything from me is for you to leave me," He says, "You know my past, my crimes, my choices, my father, you know everything, and in the time that I have known you, you have shown me everything that matters in life and I want more. The City, Whitechapel, Baines...they have no meaning. Having George as my brother, eating breakfast, going on boat rides, sneaking out of balls, kissing you....these are the things that matter and that I want more of, and I would give everything up for it. " 

Her words catch in her throat, "So he was right?" 

"Who?"

"Baines," Clarissa says, "You would give up The City and Whitechapel for me, if I asked?" 

"Is this you asking?" He asks. 

"Yes," She whispers. 

He exhales sharply, chaos swirling in his eyes. A mixture of emotion flashes across his face and then he awkwardly gets off his chairs and kneels in front of her. He takes her hands in his, "I will sign everything over to you in this moment, it's all yours," He brushes a curl behind her ear, "You don't have to stay, you can take it all and I'll let you go," 

She studies his face, her lips slightly parted. Everything is within her grasp, everything her grandfather ever wanted, everything a leader of London could want. All she has to do is take it and she's won. She swallows, "I expect the documents to be on my desk by this evening," And with that, she stands up and walks towards the door. 

She hears Daniel slump to the ground, but he makes no move to stop her. With every step, she expects a knife in her back or a shot through her heart but it never happens. Does this mean she's won? It is over? The further she gets from the duke, the less she feels like she's won. She pauses at the foot of her bed, running a hand along the old leather of her weapons chest. 

"What if it's not all I want?" She asks, her voice trembling slightly. She turns around and sits on the chest. He rises off his knees, the barest glimmer of hope in his eyes. 

He stops in front of her and towers over, "What do you want, angel?" 

"I want you to not hurt me, I want you to let me in, I want you to stay by my side and never leave," She whispers, staring up at him, "I want you, all of you and I don't know why because you are so confusing and arrogant and you can be so ignorant," She breaks off, taking a sharp breath, "We've been married for so little time, we barely know each other and yet I don't want to live my life without you," 

"And I, you," Daniel murmers, crouching down so they are face to face, a hairs-width apart. 

"I can't promise that this is going work," She says, "We are both too volatile for our own good, but I want to try, do you?" 

His smile is breathtakingly handsome, "Nothing would give me more joy," And then he closes the distance between them, pressing his lips to hers. 

She leans into the embrace, her hands coming to rest on the sides of his face as she tilts her head to give him better access. He takes advantage, deepening the kiss, his tongue dipping into her mouth. The sparks explode inside her and something powerful begins to burn in the pit of her stomach. He is her poison, and his burn is so delicious. She lets out a muffled cry as she slips off the chest, falling onto him. Panic in her mind, she crashes onto the floor, managing to avoid landing on him. 

"Are you alright?" She cries, her eyes jumping to his bandages. 

"I am more than well," He reassures, sitting up "A beautiful girl just agreed to give being my wife a go," 

Clarissa blushes, covering up her embarrassment with action, "Well regardless, we should get you to bed, the doctor wouldn't approve of you being up so soon," 

She helps him to his feet and back into bed. She tucks the covers around him, making sure that he is as comfortable as possible. As she moves around the room, picking up her things from last night, he never takes his eyes off her, studying her intently with a smile. 

"I am going to go and dress," She says, at last, moving towards her dressing room, "And then I'll call for breakfast in bed," 

"Clarissa," Daniel's call halts her before she can leave the room. She turns around. 

"It could be much worse than me, couldn't it?" He asks. 

She smiles, "Oh, much worse indeed," 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

111K 7.4K 20
When Helene Lovell finds herself a penniless orphan, she is swept into the world of manners, money, and etiquette, where her cruel Aunt Lady Dorothea...
333 32 14
A timeless rivalry, Y/n Y/l/n and Draco Malfoy sworn enemies, locked in an unmatched discord. Forced-to-be potion partners and years of ceaseless bi...
19.3K 1.2K 11
[ONC 2023 SHORTLISTER] Prompt 63: A rivalry between two coworkers has unforeseen consequences. *** Down on her luck with a string of 12 unfateful hea...
47.7K 4K 27
[2022 YOUNG ADULT WATTY WINNER] Penny Brooks's life is nothing short of perfect; during her reign of being a mean girl at Royal High School, she has...