Brass and Brawn [korrasami]

By in_jail_out_soon45

"I want you to go undercover. Find out this woman's name and her whereabouts. Once that's done, we can cease... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18

Chapter 2

1.1K 41 95
By in_jail_out_soon45

"Let me get this straight. You're going to be teaching a class full of kids?" When Korra nodded, Opal burst out into a fit of laughter.

Korra's eyes rolled to the side, unamused.
"Hilarious."

Opal calmed her laughing fit down into small giggles.
"Sorry Boss." She said, wiping at a few tears.
"I just can't imagine you teaching. Especially kids as young as these."

"It's stupid. I'm a cop, I shouldn't be doing this sort of stuff." Korra flew her hands up into the air in protest and then crossed them against her chest.

Opal begun to type onto her keyboard for a moment before leaning back into her chair. She kicked away from her desk and the chair rolled over to the other side of the cubicle where her coffee cup was.
"Well you're doing it in order to catch Mako, so I think this is excatly what a cop would do in this situation."

Korra huffed and leant against the cubicle wall. She knew Opal was right, that's why it made her frustrated.
"That bastard has been on the run for too long..." She dragged her hand down her face.
"It's almost embarrassing that it's almost been 4 years."

Opal took the last sip out of her coffe and tossed the remins in the box underneath her desk.
"Hey.. it's not your fault. This whole floor has been working to catch him." She said and gestured around the cubicle farm. There were at least over 100 people stationed around, tapping away at their computers with their eyes hypnotised by their monitors.

"That makes it even more embarrassing." Korra huffed again.
"All of these people chasing down one guy.."

"You'll get him this time boss. I'm sure of it." Opal replied and spun around in her chair so she could get back to work.

Korra fiddled with the tie around her neck, loosening it up a little.
"I have a partner too.."

Opal raised a brow, slowly twisting her torso so she could look over her shoulder. Her lips rose at the corners and her eyes squinted with mischief.
"A partner?"

The officer knew that look all too well. She shook her hands out in front of her frantically, shaking her head.
"No, no not like that. Just a partner to help with the case."

Opal's shoulders drooped. She thought that Korra finally managed to open up and live a little.
"Oh." she said and continued to tap away.
"Who is it?"

Korra popped her head up and gazed over the sea of grey walls, everyone was working and there was a small sound of chatter amongst them all. Once she was satisfied with her check, she leant forward and muttered close to Opal.
"Some newbie called Kuvira."

Opal hummed, a finger on her chin in thought.
"I've heard of her before but I haven't seen her around. Is she nice?"

"She's... serious I guess." Korra shrugged. Not really knowing what words to use to describe her new 'partner'. There was no doubt she was attractive, especially with those green eyes.

"You sure she can keep up with you?" Opal asked, earnign a small chuckle from the officer.

"I hope so." Korra replied.
"Chief Beifong said that she could handle herself."

"Who can handle themselves?"

The two women jumped at the sudden voice that just invited itself into their conversation. Korra spun around and tilted her head up, meeting with a pair of green eyes that peered down at her.
"Oh.. morning Kuvira."

Kuvira rose a brow and exchanged glances between the two.
"Morning Korra.. and..?"

Korra took a step back and gestured to Opal sitting at her desk.
"This is Opal. My assistant." Kuvira nodded her head and Opal gave her an awkward wave. Korra cleared her throat and stepped back into the position she was originally in.
"So is there something you need?"

"Yes. I wanted to tell you that Chief Beifong has ordered us to set out tomorrow." Kuvira explained, keeping her hand clasped behind her back like she was some sort of soldier addressing their captain.
"She arranged a meeting with the headmaster."

"Will both of us be attending?" Korra questioned.

"You first. I'm attending a later one." Kuvira replied.
"The Chief said that the headmaster has been notified about us being cops and they're not happy about it."

Korra furrowed her brow.
"Why wouldn't they be happy? we're cops, we're supposed to make them feel safe aren't we?"

"That's not the reason." Kuvira chuckled nervously.
"The headmaster had to sack two of their most experienced teachers for this investigation to work."

Korra stuck out her bottom lip and blew the hair out of her face.
"Oh.."

"Yeah..." Kuvira sighed and took a step back.
"So be prepared."

Korra nodded and watched her new 'partner' walk away down the halls of cubicles. Once she was out of hearing range, Opal spoke up.
"You could've told me she was hot."

Korra instantly turned around and shot her assisstant a glare.
"What the hell Opal?"

Opal helf her hands up high in surrender, yet a smirk still played on her lips.
"Okay.. I'm sorry."

<->

The cafe was her refuge in the mornings. The room with tables in their rich deep browns, the aroma with its dark aromatic perfume call her in from the long day ahead of her. It's early and the machines were yet to warm, so she pondered the chance to let her eyes close for a little, to drink in the aroma of the place. The barista had tired eyes, yet there is that glimmer, a give away of his good heart. Opal reached over the counter, handing him her cup of cold coffee.
"Can I have this warmed please?" She aksed.

The man nodded, taking the cup from her soft hands.
"Of course."

"Sorry, I'm just feeling like being a bit of a fuss pot today." Opal apologised amid her own tired smile.

She saw his green eyes glow a little brighter, his face more relaxed, a smidge more joy in his smile.
"That's alright. You be a fuss pot." He said and tipped her coffee into the sink, he might as well make her another one.

Opal laughed unexpectedly and just like that her morning was already just a little bit better.
"Thank you for indulging my fuss-pot-ism..." she glanced at the name tag that bounced against his apron as he walked.
"..Bolin."

He laughed a warm laugh and handed her a new cup of coffee.
"The pleasure is all mine fuss pot."

She took her leave, a smile still planted on her face whilst she crossed the road to the police station, where she would spend the next 10 hours working at her desk. But no matter how many hours, she will definitely be visiting that cafe every once in a while.

The elevator opened up and she walked over to her cubicle, setting down her cup of piping hot coffee next to her computer. It wasn't long until she heard the familiar rhythm of footsteps coming her way, yet they sounded a little different then usual. The footsteps came to a stop and Opal peered away from her computer, taking in the attire of the woman standing by her cubicle.

Korra gave her a smile, awkwardly gesturing to her clothes.
"How do I look?" The suit was as crisp as a new banknote and dyed to a uniform shade of bleak grey. Above white collar line it was as if her face had been fashioned from those inky dots. Korra's worry heightened when Opal didn't say a word, she looked bad, it was too much, she doesn't look like a teacher. Frantically, the officer begun to brush herself down, hoping that this action would magically make her attire look better.

"This was a bad idea. Maybe I should've just worn a shirt or something simple."

"Korra. you look great." Opal finally managed to splutter out. She had never seen her boss look this... smart before, it took her off guard.

"Is it too much?" Korra asked, still brushing at her shoulders.

Opal hummed, still analysing how the grey material fit against the officer's figure.
"Korra, do you have a firearm in your pocket?"

Korra sighed and opened up her blazer, slipping out a charcoal handgun.
"You're going to a school full of kids.. as a teacher. Do you really think taking that is a good idea?"

Korra's face scrunched up in annoyance.
"What if Mako shows up?"

"No guns and that's final." Opal demanded.

"It's not like one of the kids are going to see it, it's hidden." Korra huffed, checking to see if the pistol was locked into safety before she handed it to Opal.

"Have you ever been around 6 year olds?"

Korra dusted herself down.
"Not really. How hard can it be?"

Opal stifled a laugh and shook her head.
"On second thought.. take the gun." She joked.

Someone cleared their throat behind them. As Korra turned around, she bumped into somebody else who stood right outside Opal's cubicle. Korra took a step back and looked up to the woman in the way, it was exactly like the morning before yet Kuvira was dressed just as smart as she was.
"Morning Korra, you ready to go?"

Korra nodded and waved goodbye to her assistant before she found herself in the elevator with Kuvira at her side. It was awkward, well to Korra anyway. She didn't know if she should strike up a conversation with her new 'partner' or just wait until they had to exchange words in order to do their job.

Kuvira dug her hand into her blazer pocket and pulled out a ring of keys, tossing them over to Korra as they exited the main building. Korra caught the keys with ease and rose a brow, looking between them and Kuvira.
"Uh?"

The car that was parked a few feet in front of them, sat as if it were formed from flowing metal, aquatic, yet feminine with its curves. It had a personality of its own with those raised and rounded headlamps. It was a normal car, perfect for what they were doing.
"You can drive boss." Kuvira said.

"Correction, I'm your partner not your boss. You should drive since it's your car." Korra tossed the keys back to their rightful owner and quickly hurried over to the passenger side. Kuvira watched in confused as her partner basically chucked herself into the passenger seat and closed the door shut, strapping her seat belt in so she couldn't be removed.

Kuvira cautiously sat down, hands on the wheel whilst she took a glance to Korra on the leather seats. She was peering out the window, knees tilted so they press up against the door with her elbow leaning against the pannel.
"You can't drive can you?" Kuvira asked.

Korra stiffened at the question.
"What makes you say that?"

Kuvira turned the key in the ignition and begun to pull out onto the street, driving at a steady pace. Driving in the sunshine, the warm blacktop leading onward into the horizon of the city and towards their destination.
"It was just a guess."

Korra took a quick glance at Kuvira, her green eyes were concentrated on the road through the windscreen. She wondered how Kuvira would handle these kids, considering she's quite a serious woman.
"Well.. I can.. I'm just not very good at it." Korra admitted, earning a little chuckle to her side.

The car ride was silent after that, only the sounds of the indicator ticking occasionally and the tires against the ground constantly.

<->

Humilation wasn't the word to describe that feeling. She sat, in a seat that was obviously made for people smaller and younger than her, waiting for her name to be called by the receptionist. She thought her trousers might split once she sat down, her legs were forced to tuck in close to her chest as the chair propped up only a few centimetres from off the floor.

10 minutes passed and she had to stay in that position, feeling her muscles act up as she didn't move an inch that whole time. The room was nice to say the least, but obviously they needed to refurbish it, like a lot. The only chairs were the ones that Korra was sitting on, small, tiny things that made sitting on the floor the better option. The walls were painted a light blue and the wood pannels on the floor shined a dark brown. It was cozy, warm but.. boring.

Korra checked her wrist watch. As awkward as it was with Kuvira, Korra wished she was here right now so she wasn't the only one that looked like a complete idiot.

The door clicked open and relief washed over her like a wave. However, the person who stepped in wasn't who she was expecting and her frustration rebounded. A child, no older than 7 strolled in. Her eyes were a puffy red and her nose was a little damp. It was obvious that this girl had a tantrum of some sort.

Her feet barely picked up from the ground and she skidded herself over to one of the chairs near Korra, her shoes squeaking with each step. She plopped herself down, her feet dangling towards the floor with her toes gently brushing it as she swung her legs back and forth.

Korra kept her eyes forward, not knowing whether she should ask if the girl was alright or just deal with the sounds of her sniffling. That's when she felt it, the eyes burning into the side of her head, as if daggers were being shot at her from a few feet away. The child was looking at her, Korra knew she would. Well who wouldn't? A grown woman, sitting with her legs scrabbled close to her on a chair that was designed for toddlers.

The door opened again and all Korra could do was roll her eyes and keep them on the ground, focusing on the small cracks in the wooden floor boards. The clicks of the newcomers heels grabbed Korra's attention. It wasn't another child like she thought. A pair of high heels stepped into her view and Korra let her eyes wander up the slender legs as they walked past.

The woman knelt down, her pencil skirt sat just above her knees. Korra's eyes begun to travel further up, taking in each and every curve of the woman's body, finally reaching the dark hair that flowed over her shoulder and down her dark red jacket.

That's when she noticed the green eyes, the crimson lips and the pale skin. Don't tell me this is one of the teachers I have to work with..

The woman placed a hand onto the little girl's shoulder.
"So.. what happened back there?" Korra instantly melted at the sound of that voice, it matched her pretty face so well.

The child sniffled and sobbed, wiping her tears with her little hands as she spluttered out her excuse. Korra wasn't even listening, she was more concentrated on the woman, the way her eyes closed when she blinked, the way her lips moved as she talked.

"I'm sure we can get you another piece of paper." The woman said, soothing the little girl's sobs with a rub of the shoudler.
"But you have to promise me you'll never hit anyone ever again." The woman glanced to her right, her green eyes meeting blue for second before Korra turned away, instantly busying herself with adjusting the time on her watch.

The little girl sniffled again, giving her eyes one last wipe to dispose of any stray tears.
"Alright Miss Sato."

Miss Sato. Korra smiled at that name, wondering what her first name might be. It definitely would make the woman more attractive than she already is. Korra was lost in thought to even realise that the door to the room opened again and the receptionist stepped through.
"Miss Smith?"

Korra shook herself out of her thoughts, twisting herself awkwardly on the tiny seat to peer at the person who called her name.
"Yes?"

"Mr Tenzin will see you now."

Korra abruptly got up and out of that horrible seat. She brushed a few creases out of her blazer and walked out the room, not daring to look back at that attractive individual that was still in there.

Once she entered the office, the air got thick really quickly. A bald man sat at his desk, hands clasped together as he firmly watched Korra's every move whilst she stepped closer.
"You must be Korra." He said, getting to his feet so he could offer her a handshake.

She gladly took it.
"Yes that's me."

The man didn't say a word and just sat back down in his leather chair again. Korra made herself comfortable in the seat opposite, relived that it was an actual chair.
"I've heard about you and your case." He said, eyes narrowed.
"I've been told to replace two of my best teachers for undercover cops. Would you mind filling me in as to why that is?"

Kuvira was right, there was no doubt this man was angry about this whole situation.
"I'm afraid I can't do that." Korra said, smiling a little to try and ease the tension. It only made it worse.

"All I have to do is tell these parents that their child's teacher is a police officer and they'll yank their kids out fo this school and half way across the country." Mr Tenzin explained, keeping his eyes trained on the straight faced woman.
"I'll have to close the whole place down if that happens and I will if I feel like these children are in danger."

Korra kept her gaze on him, not even blinking.
"I can assure you Sir, they're not in any danger."

It was like some sort of staring contest. Both of them, cold and firm, not moving an inch as if they'd crumble to pieces if they did.
"Right." Mr Tenzin said and broke the eye contact by standing up.
"I'll show you around."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.1K 266 13
After the 100 years old war the world fell into a place of peace and harmony, with Avatar Aang watching over everyone in every nation. True growth an...
173K 7.1K 67
A young girl gets told by a spirit that fate made a mistake and she was supposed to be born later. So she is turned into a spirit and told she can wa...
729K 9.8K 40
There is a prophecy most have never heard of. That one day a person will be born that can bend the powerful force of nature known as electricity to t...
2.5K 125 9
❪ BLEED YOUR HEART OUT ❫ ──── ❝You weren't there, and you hurt me.❞ She is Lin Beifong's daughter, embodying the same fearlessness, strength, and tou...