Chapter 3

The hallways consisted of dark marble floors and white walls, not a hand print or scuff mark anywhere. The doors were a glossy black, numbered with silver digits that matched the globe shaped handles with a window sketched in the middle of it all.

"Here's the oldest ones." Mr Tenzin explained and pointed to the closest door to their right. Korra only took a glance, but when she did, her eyes snapped back to take another look. Miss Sato was sat, her slender legs crossed over one another, on the desk that was perched infront of all of her students. They were small children, no more than 18 of them in the room. All silent, scribbling into their books with loopy writing whilst Miss Sato's voice read out the words in the book that rested gently in her hands. It was faint but Korra could hear it.

The headmaster realised that Korra wasn't following him anymore and looked over his shoulder. The woman was completely mesmerised, eyes locked into the classroom that he pointed out a few seconds ago. He stood by her side and followed her gaze.
"I can introduce you to the other teachers in the staff room soon."

Korra shook her head back to reality, finally forcing herself to look away and carry on down the halls. There were 5 more classes, they were identical to Miss Sato's room but the kid's varied in ages.
"And finally, this will be your class."

Instead of having desks, the classroom had a combination of tables and the small chairs that Korra was all too familiar with. There were five rows of tables near the front of the room, each filled with little people. The place was littered with colour, a piano pushed up against the far wall, a chalk board at the other end of the room. This was a much bigger room then the rest of them and Korra felt her stomach start to droop. Why was she nervous about this.. how hard could it be?

Before she could compose herself, Mr Tenzin opened the charcoal door and stepped in. All eyes were on him and he stepped further inside. The teacher that was in the room before hand smiled at the headmaster and took her leave, giving Korra a look of 'good luck' before strolling away down the hall. Korra's stomach drooped once again, maybe she should've taken the gun. Korra peeped around the corner and into the room, seeing that all of the kids were paying attention to Mr Tenzin.

"Morning all." He said and the room erupted into a chours of 'mornings'.
"Your teacher, Mrs Izumi, had to go on an important trip for a few days."

One of the girls put her hand up but spoke out loud anyway.
"Where'd she go?"

The headmaster chuckled.
"That doesn't matter."

"Did she die?"

Mr Tenzin looked towards the voice that spoke up.
"No Meelo."

Korra pressed her back against the wall outside the classroom, taking in controlled breaths through her nose and out through her mouth. They're just kids, what's the worst that could happen?

"Now until Mrs Izumi comes back, we have someone special to help." Mr Tenzin poked his head out of the classroom and gestured for the anxious woman to step forward. Korra took one last breath and held it, stepping into the classroom with a firm expression on her face. Her lips were a firm straight line and she marched like a clockwork soldier as if her muscles were too tight to move properly.

"This is Miss Smith. She'll be your new teacher for the time being." All eyes were on her and she never realised how scary little kids could be until now. Mr Tenzin gave the children one last smile before turning towards Korra, stepping closer so he could mutter into her ear.
"They're all yours." after that, he left.

Korra finally let out the breath she was holding, awkwardly tapping her hands against her legs as she rocked back and forth on her toes and heels. She noticed that the room contained more posters than the others and to her surprise there was no clock.