Half a Dozen...Horses? Book 1

Bởi Shylee-Rose

Without any knowledge about her family or even her last name, Dani finds herself surrounding by a world fille... Xem Thêm

Half a Dozen...Horses? Chapter 1
Half a Dozen...Horses? Chapter 2...
Half a Dozen...Horses? Chapter 3...
Half a Dozen...Horses? Chapter 4...
Half a Dozen...Horses? Chapter 5...
Half a Dozen...Horses? Chapter 6...
Half a Dozen...Horses? Chapter 7...
Half a Dozen...Horses? Chapter 8...
Half a Dozen...Horses? Chapter 9...
Half a dozen...Horses? Chapter 10...
Half a dozen...Horses? Chapter 10.P2...
Half a Dozen... Horses Chapter 11...
Half a Dozen...Horses? Chapter 12...
Half a Dozen...Horses? Chapter 12.2...
Half a Dozen...Horses? Chapter 13...
Half a Dozen...Horses? Chapter 14...
Half a Dozen...Horses? Chapter 15...
Half a Dozen...Horses? Chapter 16...
Half a Dozen...Horses? Chapter 17...
Half a dozen...Horses? Chapter 18...
Half a Dozen...Horses? Chapter 19...
Half a Dozen...Horses? Chapter 20...
Half a Dozen...Horses? Chapter 21...
Half a Dozen...Horses? Chapter 22...
Half a Dozen...Horses? Chapter 23...
Half a Dozen...Horses? Chapter 24...Version 1
Half a Dozen...Horses? Chapter 24...Version2
Half a Dozen...Horses? Chapter 24...p1
Half a Dozen...Horses? Chapter 24..p2
Half a Dozen...Horses? Chapter 25...
Half a Dozen...Horses? Chapter 26...
Half a Dozen...Horses? Chapter 27...
Half a Dozen...Horses? Chapter 28...
Half a Dozen...Horses? Chapter 29
Half a Dozen...Horess? Chapter 30...
Epilogue

Half a Dozen...Horses? Chapter 19.2

8.8K 150 5
Bởi Shylee-Rose

Continuation of Chapter 19....

Early Friday morning Dani found herself hidden in the back seat of Sam's truck, heading toward the city, the plan was for Sam to go into town and pick up a few bits and pieces that were needed on the ranch just like he did every Friday and then meet Jim in an underground car park, where Dani would change vehicles and continue on to Heaven's Anchor with Jim in a blacked out SUV which turned out to be one of the most common cars in Lexington.

Dani was hidden beneath a heavy blanket for the duration of the journey with Sam.  Who had stuck his Bluetooth in and kept up a steady stream of conversation as they drove.  He kept all his appointments as short as possible, but by the time they finally reached the car park, Dani was sweating up a storm and just about every muscle in her body was protesting from remaining still for too long.

Jim quietly helped her out of Sam's truck and into the back of the SUV closing the door behind her and running around to the driver's seat. The cool air blowing through the air-con unit was absolute bliss as Dani stretched out along the back seat.

"Thank God for air con!"  Dani exclaimed once Jim was on the road heading out of the city.  There was no need for the blanket now as all the windows were darkly tinted but Dani was focused to remain out of silhouette just in case.

"Yeah sorry about that, I didn't think about how hot it was going to be for you under that blanket."  Jim grimaced back at her.  "I did get you a smoothie though."

"You are awesome, where is it?"  Dani asked rolling onto her side and then sticking her head in between the two front seats.  Jim handed her the cup and let her fall back into her lying position.  Within two minute Dani have finished the entire 500ml drink and goose flesh ran rampant across her skin.

"Ah brain freeze!"  Dani groaned.

"Geez you finish that already?" Jim laughed catching her expression in the rear view mirror.

"Shut up, I was thirsty.  Next time you can hide under a blanket for two hours in this raging heat."  Dani sulked as she slipped her hand behind her head and tried to get comfortable.

"Sorry Babe, but it was a necessary precaution."

"I'm really starting to dislike precautions, you know that?" Dani pouted as Jim burst out laughing at her throwing her a sympathetic look as he turned off the interstate. "How long until we get there?"

"Another twenty minutes or so."  Came the reply.

"Did you let Miss Delaney know that we were coming?"  Dani asked suddenly a few minutes later.

"Uh no, why would I do that?  Given the secrecy of this trip, why would I want to let anyone know."  Jim frowned.

"But what happens if she isn't there, I mean I really don't want to have to go through all that again."  Dam frowned back at him.  "And what happens if she doesn't want me there?  What happens if she doesn't remember me and chases us away?  What happens if she blames me for my parents?"

"Dani...!"

"Oh my god, I can't do this, turn around Jim!"  Dani cried, worst case scenarios where running triumphant through her brain as they drove.  They had just turned onto a dirt road and without warning Jim pulled the car over to the side of the road and turned to look at her. 

"Dani you need to calm down, come here."  He soothed pulling her through the two front seats and parking her in the passenger chair still holding her hands.  "I will tell you one thing you perhaps haven't thought about, but do you honestly think anyone in their right mind would refuse to purchase an entire ranch that was practically handed to them if they didn't care about the owner. This Miss Delaney must care about you greatly to want to ensure that the ranch remained in your name.  Based on that point alone I think this women has your best interests at heart and that right there is the only reason we are even going there."

"Oh!"   Dani replied pathetically, sliding her hands back into her lap and then fastening her seatbelt.

"And I know for a fact that she is there, I wouldn't plan this all out not knowing the outcome."  He stated turning forward in his own seat.

"How did you find that out?" Dani asked intrigue spreading across her face.

"Really, you have to ask?  Think about it for a minute?"  Jim laughed rolling his eyes.

"What?  I don't know.  Did you send in someone to scope the place out?"  Dani's eyes twinkled with mischief at the prospect but Jim erupted with laughter.

"This isn't a stick up babe or a stake out!" He roared through his laughter.  Dani just pouted back at him before he could continue.  "I just phoned them up saying I was calling from UPS and wanted to confirm delivery of a package."

"Oh, well that's just lame."  Dani sighed, crossing her arms and turning away from him in her seat.  Again Jim just laughed.

"What did you expect, constant thrills and adventure?"

"Well yes actually." Dani sighed again disappointed.

"Well sorry to disappoint you Dani girl but it's not all fun and game. Well at least I got you distracted, we're almost there."  Somewhere through the conversation he had started driving again and after another long bend they turned into a private driveway that led up to a double story white ranch house.  There was a barn and a couple other outhouses to the left, with the stables adjacent to that, but the entire place was surrounded by corrals and grazing fields.  A massive tree shaded that drive in front of the house and provided perfect parking and cover from prying eyes on the horizon.

A crowd of people stood leaning against one of the corral fences, watching as a large brown stallion was going through the process of been broken.  There were muted cheers and gasps as rider after rider was thrown from the horses' back.

A short stocky lady in her mid fifties broke away from the gathered crowd and after gesturing to one of the men, began making her way over to us as Jim step out of the SUV.

"Stay in the truck, until I give the all clear ok?"  Jim said as he moved to close the door, but before he had even finished his sentence, Dani had already swung open her door and walked around to stand next to him.  "Well bang goes that idea now doesn't it."  But he got nothing but silence as a reply.  Dani stood frozen next to him, at the same time as the women came to a stop, halfway across the yard.

"Aunty Lesley?"  Dani questioned in a whisper.

"Oh my sweet mercy!" Was the replied that drifted back scares seconds later.  The next instant Dani was closing the distance between them in a flat out sprint.  The middle aged women had her arms spread wide in welcome and engulfed Dani as she reached her.  "Oh good lord, I can't believe it, I can't believe you're finally home."  Tear of complete joy ran down her checks as she leaned back from Dani taking in every inch of her from head to toe, before quickly gathering her up in a hug again. "I knew you were alive, I knew you'd come back to us."

For the next two minute they were both talking asking questions at the same time and giggling in response, neither were making much head way but they didn't care.  It wasn't until Jim stepped between them and the gathered crowd that either of them took notice of their surroundings.  A second man had broken away from the crowd and was hurriedly making his way towards them, when Jim intercepted him.

"Ma'am is everything alright?"  He called as he approached, eying Jim as he tried to step past him.

"Everything is prefect, just prefect!"  Miss Delaney replied as she smiled at Dani.  She then turned to look at the other man but frowned as she took in Jim.  "I suggest you step aside son!"  She added firmly to Jim.

Jim let the man pass but stepped next to Dani protectively just in case, which earned him another frown from Miss Delaney. "What's the matter with you boy?"  Miss Delaney snapped.  "I'm not going to eat her, for goodness sake, now step off or you can go wait in the car till we finished our visit." Jim gaped back in her in shock for a second before Dani closed his mouth with her finger.

"Aunty Lesley, This is Jim Doyle, my boyfriend.  And he is only trying to keep me safe, he has very good reason." Dani practically whispered the last part and Miss Delaney took a long calculating glance between the two of them as Dani slipped her hand into Jim's.

"Jim, this is my Aunt Lesley, and I believe that is Carl her foreman."  Jim tipped his hat towards them in greeting and was about to respond when Miss Delaney interrupted him.

"Your father George Doyle?"

"Yes ma'am!"  Jim responded.

"I'll be having words with him about you, I will have no niece of mine carrying on with an overprotective, controlling boy, the likes of you."  She linked her arm through Dani's and turned them away from him.

"Aunty Lesley he isn't..."

"Ma'am, you can say whatever you like to my father but I will not have Dani out of my sight until I know for one hundred percent certainty that no threat has followed her here, now you may not like that but she is my number one priority and I won't have anything or anyone come in the way of her safety." He gave her hand a slight tug and reluctantly Dani let go of her Aunt and stepped back beside him.  Dani felt him relax slightly as she came to his side and gave his hand a gentle squeeze.

"Aunt Lesley, he's right, there is a long story that I need to speak to you about, but Jim agreed to bring me here on condition that I play by the rules." Aunt Lesley face was applauded but Dani continued anyway.  "Everything will become extremely clear once we are inside and Jim and I have had a chance to explain."

"Well I suggest that we don't wait one second longer, wouldn't want the mafia to come screaming over the horizon while we dilly dally in my driveway now would we."  She stated sarcastically before turning on her heel and heading towards the house.

"Get back to work Carl."  She snapped as he fell into step next to her.  "Apparently nieces come with special agents these days!2  If only she realised how close her statement came to be true.

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

8.8K 468 28
Kate and Spirit are living a happy life at the ranch.. Two horse thieves lay on eyes Spirit and they are overcome with greed. With Spirit gone and so...
Horsepeople Bởi Barberees

Tiểu Thuyết Chung

155 33 33
Joanna King has found a soft place to land- even though the land is rugged- from her troubled childhood. Taking her in after her mother's death, Joan...
1.3K 115 31
Madison Sterling as she says it but.... why does she makes calls and say Madison Daniels? Marshal Madison recieved a call from the one of the chieve...
915 94 44
We all grew up ready books where the innocent sweet naive girl falls for the troubled boy with a dark a dark past. We grew up rooting for the girl to...