The Ape King

By Madd_hatteR89

All he has known is the laws of the jungle: survive and protect his family. All she has known is an unfair wo... More

Home sweet home
Pride and Principles
Welcome to The Jungle: Part 1
Welcome to The Jungle: Part 2
Not All Heroes Wear Loincloths
Pen-Pals
A Scholar and A Gentleman
Meet The Barnetts
Nochtadh
Our House
Saved By The....Interruption
So Kiss Me
We Meet Again
The Trade Off
Make-Over
Long Time Coming
Honor Of A Swear
You Are The Reason
Here Without You
Are We There Yet
A Hunch
Gallows Of Heartache
All Hail
Epilogue 1: Project Adam
Epilogue 2: Married Life

Rico Suave

2.6K 90 26
By Madd_hatteR89

She woke to Eddie shaking her awake.

"Rise and shine, Penn. We gotta get going."

"Uhhhh.....it feels too early to wake up." She complained as she stretched and sat up.

Eddie laughed. "Oh, it is but Zane insists that we start early."

At his name she blinked the sleep from her eyes and looked around. No Zane to be found. She frowned and got up to pack up.

"He went ahead to make sure we're still on track. He'll be back soon." Eddie said as he packed too.

She stuck her tongue out at him and helped him then went over to see if Gus needed help. Gus was a fairly quiet man but he accepted her help. Sandra was still getting her beauty sleep but after another thirty minutes, Gus woke her.

Zane slipped into camp as everyone was taking turns using the restroom before they set off. Penny had convinced Eddie to let her wear his pack for today and she waited by the rock they had used for shelter. She felt her nerves on end as Zane approached.

"Can I speak to you alone?"

Penny looked at him and shook her head.

"Another time. We should get going."

Zane gave her a narrow eyed look but nodded and didn't argue. Soon he was leading them through the jungle once more.

This time Penny had ended up sandwiched between Eddie and Gus. Sandra of course was talking Zane's ear off again.

To her surprise Gus joined in her conversation with Eddie about what food they missed the most.

"What's the first thing you'll eat when you go back home?" Penny asked Gus.

Gus thought about it a moment.

"Pasta. I love it. What about you?"

Penny groaned as she thought of her favorite comfort food.

"A hamburger and fries from a small diner. Family restaurants have the best food." Penny sighed.

Gus laughed at her dreamy expression and she swatted him playfully.

"What about you, Eddie?" She asked with a laugh.

"Fish and chips." He said smiling. "Speaking of food....oy mate! Can we  stop a moment and eat?" He said to Zane.

Zane turned and stopped. His eyes glided over them all and stopped on Penny.

"A few moments. Then we have to move on."

Penny let out a sigh of relieve and moved to take off Eddie's pack. In her haste she didn't see a root protruding out of the ground and tripped. Gus grabbed her and helped her sit down. Penny thanked him and turned her head to the side. She saw Zane staring her intensely. His jaw ticked then he turned and grabbed fruit from Sandra's pack to give everyone. When he got to Penny, he lingered but left.

Sandra was of course right by Zane and talking with him. Gus had left to relieve himself. Eddie leaned into her arm.

"So what's the verdict on your situation. Are you going to say anything?" He whispered.

Penny bit her lip.

"I don't think so. They seem to have hit it off." She nodded towards Zane and Sandra. "Plus I have other things occupying my mind right now."  She spoke whispered back.

Eddie nodded and patted her shoulder.

"Well, you know I'm here for you if you need someone to talk to."

"I know. Thanks, Eddie." She said as she imagined telling him about Randall.

Of course she couldn't. It would put him and Des in danger. Not to mention Gus and stupid Sandra. The rest of the day was spent traveling through the jungle until night fall again. This time Zane led them to a niche inside a giant tree. Everyone was too exhausted to say much and Penny helped Eddie set up their spot again. Penny was going to lay down when she felt a touch on her elbow. Tingles spread from the contact.

"Can I speak to you a moment?" His voice came right next to her ear.

"Sure "

She followed him a bit until they were several feet from the camp but not out of sight.

"I get the feeling you are avoiding me." He spoke as he looked at her with an intensity.

"I'm not. I just don't think it's a good idea to continue with the scenting."

He pursed his lips and nodded. "As you wish. Will you be joining me to hear a story?" Hope gleamed in his eyes.

Guilt tore through her as she shook her head.

"Sorry, I'm too tired. Maybe tomorrow. " She said as she turned and went to her spot by Eddie.

She had been pretending to sleep for an hour now. She hadn't meant to pretending. She wanted to sleep but the sound of Zane telling a story to Sandra and her giggling at things he said were bothering her. She finally succumbed to exhaustion and fell asleep to Zane laughing with Sandra.

》》》》

Penny woke early the next morning. The sun had barely begun to paint the sky in a dark purple. She sat up slowly and noticed that Zane wasn't there. She knew he left some mornings to bathe, so she didn't think much of it. She had woken with the urge to relieve her bladder so she quietly tip toed off to do so.

After she had finished she went to look for a nearby river to wash her hands and face. She was now used to being as quiet as she could to not attract wild animals, so it caught her by surprise to hear voices nearby. Carefully, she made her way over to the voices. Luckily there was plenty of bushes and foliage to block her as she zeroed in on the source. She crouched and peeked from behind a bush to see Zane speaking with Sandra.

A feeling ran through her body. Something akin to shock. Why were they here alone? She held her breath as she watched them. She wasn't close enough to hear what they were saying so she had to settle on their body language. She could tell the Sandra was being flirty but Zane seemed standoffish. Watching them, she would have never guessed what would happen next.

Zane leaned down and Sandra threw her arms around his neck and kissed him. Penny covered her mouth and grit her teeth so hard in order to not make a sound. Jealousy and anger exploded inside her. She turned away but her mind kept replaying what she saw. She felt betrayed. The overwhelming urge to stand and scream at them thrummed in her. Then, as if someone threw ice water over her, she realized that she had no claim to him. An ache began in her heart and painful tingles pulsed on her palms. She needed to get away. She took a deep breathe and quietly left. She wasn't sure how but she had managed to stumble upon the river. She bent and washed her hands than face in autopilot.

It was as if she couldn't think properly. The ache continued in her chest. A twig snapped and it brought her awareness back with a snap. She stood and turned.

"Sorry I scared you." Gus put his hands up.

Penny let out a breath she had been holding. She had been a little scared that it had been an animal but even more terrified that it would be Zane. Her heart was slowing from the gallop it was doing as she gave him a relieved smile.

"It's okay. I was leaving anyway."

She was going to go back to their camp when Gus spoke.

"You saw them too?" His voice was quiet but she could hear his sad tone.

She turned and stared at him without speaking. She took a moment to really observe him. He had a heartbroken expression. Then it clicked. He was in love with Sandra. That was why he had followed her around. Her heart ached for him and herself. She looked into his eyes a moment.

"Yeah, I did." She finally answered in a hoarse voice.

He nodded and came closer.

"I can see you love that Zane man. Any fool can. I myself have been in love with Sandra for years."

Her mouth opened in surprise. He saw her expression and smiled gloomily.

"At first I thought it was because she was beautiful but as time went on, I knew it was more than a simple infatuation. I know she hasn't been very nice to you but I promise you she isn't always like that. Now too much time has gone by. I am only seen as her friend. I don't know why you won't tell Zane you love him but that is your business. I just thought it would bring you comfort to know that you are not alone in your pain." He ended softly.

That was it. His last words broke a dam inside of her. Her face crumpled and a sob tore out of her. Everything hit at once. Des being in critical condition. Having to keep her feelings away from Zane all these months. And now having to let him go. The fact that she would be forced to marry a man she didn't love. Gus looked alarmed and pulled her into a hug.

"¡Mierda! Lo siento mucho. Por favor no llores." He tried to comfort her.

But she couldn't stop the tears.

"Please." She gasped between sobs. "Take. Me. Away."

She felt Gus pick her up bridal style and walk quickly in the opposite direction of where Zane and Sandra were. She wasn't sure how far he went, but eventually he stopped and put her down. She sat with her legs folded in front of her and hugged her legs to her face. She could hear Gus' muffled voice as he tried to soothe her.

At last she had been able to stop. Gus had sat next to her and was thankfully silent after initially trying to talk to her. She turned her head to the side to look at him. He looked at her in worry. She was drying the last of her tears and trying to stop the shuddering breaths. She wasn't sure how long they had sat there but more colors were in the sky so she guessed anywhere from thirty minutes to an hour.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to make you cry. My mom always said 'Gustavo, si no tienes cuidado, harás llorar a muchas mujeres'. I guess she was right." He sighed.

She cleared her throat before speaking.

"What does that mean?"

"Basically, I'll make lots of women cry by breaking their hearts." He said with an eye roll.

Penny smiled and a small laugh escaped.

"That's pretty mean for your own mom to say." She said as she stood and put a hand out to help him up.

"Yes," He said as he grabbed her hand. "But I was like a Rico Suave back in my teenage years and she was trying to knock some sense into me."

Neither of them had let go of each other's hand as they started the walk back to camp. But it wasn't out of mutual attraction. More of a comfort to both.

"I know it may seem like a lot considering what I already told you but can I burden you with another secret?" He spoke in a whisper.

Penny looked at him with curiosity and nodded.

"I heard those putos that had guns talking about how they were going to radio help. Can you believe that?! After months of being stranded here, now they decide to call for a plane." He said angrily.

Penny's blood ran cold. She squeezed his hand to get his attention.

"When did they say that?" She felt out of breath.

Gus frowned. "Right before we left. I think that's why they stayed behind. Although there has to be reason why they were being secretive about it. Seems fishy."

He had scarcely finished speaking when the sound of an angry silverback echoed behind them. Gus jumped and began running while pulling Penny behind him. Penny knew who it was so she pulled on Gus' arm. He stopped but looked terrified.

"We need to run!" He yelled.

She shook her head.

"No more running, Gus. Let him come." She turned with determination etched in her face.

Gus looked at her bewildered as the trees moved above them. Penny squeezed Gus' hand tight as Zane landed in front of them with a roar. His face contorted with rage as he set his stare on their hands then at Gus. Then he charged.

It was frightening but Penny held her ground. Then she felt her anger come back ten fold. She pulled Gus behind herself and stepped forward. Zane stopped right in front of her and bared his teeth to Gus. Penny could feel Gus' hand shake a bit.

"Care to explain why you're trying to beat the shit out of Gus?" Came her icy demand.

He looked at her surprised a moment before anger shone through again.

"Me, explain?! Why don't you explain why you're holding his hand!" Zane's voiced rose.

Fresh hurt and anger flowed through her. Even though she wanted to shout, she took a deep breath.

"First, do not raise your voice to me. Second, you have no right telling me who I can and cannot hold hands with. Especially when you are kissing Sandra. You have no claim to me." Her voice was eerily calm.

His face paled, turned red with anger, then guilt set into his features. He opened his mouth but Penny held up her hand.

"I honestly don't want to hear what bullshit excuse you have. I....I thought you were different." Her voice had cracked at her last statement.

She let go of Gus' hand and strode back to the camp. Gus was right on her heels and to her relief, Eddie was still sleeping when they got back. She thought for sure all the yelling would have woken him up. Gus went straight over to pack his things. He was going to pack Sandra's things too when Penny stopped him.

"Don't. If you have any respect for yourself, you'll let her do it from now on." She said sincerely.

He looked at her for a moment before nodding and leaving Sandra's things. Penny went over to Eddie and shook him awake.

"You woke up before me?" Eddie yawned out as he rubbed the sleep from his eyes.

Then he looked at her face and his eyes widened. He sat up quickly and grabbed her shoulders.

"What happened?? You look like you've been crying..." Eddie  said as he looked around.

He spotted Gus staring at them. Then looked for around.

"Where is he?" Eddie asked them both.

At the anger in his eyes, she sighed.

"It doesn't matter now Eddie. Please don't say anything. It's done. The only thing that matters now is that we get to Des. And we can be there today I bet if we start now. Help me pack up." She said in a tired voice.

As soon as she finished talking, Zane landed with a loud thud by the entrance of the camp and began pacing while watching Penny. Penny stood and started packing up as Eddie got up to help. For a moment she saw determination set in Eddie's eyes and thought he would march up to Zane to try and fight him. But then he turned to look at her and she pleaded with her eyes for him not to. Eddie gave her a quick nod and packed as quickly as he could. Eddie kept glancing at Zane but Penny ignored him completely. She could feel his mind power thingy trying to work on her. There was this oppressive feeling hanging over her that was urging her to go to him. She fought with everything she had until Zane finally left. With his departure, went the weight on her mind. After several minutes, Sandra came into the camp.

"Gustavo! Why are my things not packed?" She whined.

Penny had had enough. She looked at her.

"Pack your own fucking things. Or do you not have hands?" Her voice was level and strong.

Sandra looked at her with anger. Oddly enough the anger seemed to morph swiftly into a disinterested expression.

"I wasn't talking to you. Gustavo?" She turned to Gus expectantly.

His eyes darted to Penny a moment before looking at Sandra. He shook his head and shrugged apologetically.

"Sorry but no." He said awkwardly.

Her mouth dropped open as he walked away. She turned back to Penny angrily.

"This is your fault!" She spat.

Sandra came towards her as if she wanted to fight. Adrenaline pumped into her. She wouldn't start a fight with Sandra but she'd sure as hell finish it. Eddie and Gus stepped in front of her just in time. Penny almost wanted to shove her way through them but she calmed herself.

"Not going to happen. I suggest you pack up because I want to see my fiance and I don't have a problem leaving you behind if you refuse to pack." Eddie said as he stared her down.

Sandra sneered at him but turned and packed her things in a huff. Zane appeared shortly after and gave Eddie fruit to pass around for breakfast quietly. He didn't try to talk to Penny but she could feel him staring. She managed to ignore him and stay away from him until they were in their formation walking through the jungle for what would be the last part of their journey. Zane had told Eddie that he expected they would be there by the afternoon.

Penny sighed inwardly as she followed behind Eddie. She tried to put on a brave face. Even if her world was falling apart, she needed to keep it together for her friends.

*

*

A/N: I hope you won't get too frustrated at Penny or Zane. I'm trying to show that love most of the time isn't something that comes easy. Sometimes we have feel like we have to settle for less or go through hell but...it IS worth it! Have a great week!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

258 3 38
Annabella Juliet Rocky lives in a small town called River Falls with her younger brother Timmy and parents. She gets mad one day and runs away to a f...
1.7K 336 50
[Completed ↓] Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be stranded in the jungle? To be hopeless in word where emotions were considered unsafe...
3.3K 181 13
An angel and the devil cannot be together.. but, why is it always like this: "but our story is different, we are meant to be together, so we will" "e...
4.4K 138 15
Trope: enemies to lovers, forced proximity TW-SA, Cursing, violence, Cnc, drugs If you can't handle the triggers I strongly suggest you don't read...