Coal Among Diamonds │Benedict...

By holmes22113

Witty, daring and with a secret knack for painting Frances Granville arrives at London with two convictions:... More

Chapter One: The Reluctant Debutante
Chapter Two: A Spot of Orange Paint
Chapter Three: The First Caller
Chapter Four: The Art of Chasing Suitors Away
Chapter Five: Meeting Mr. Bridgerton
Chapter Six: Rivalry
Chapter Seven: What Happens in Somerset House... [Part One]
Chapter Seven: What Happens in Somerset House... [Part Two]
Chapter Eight: Resentment
Chapter Nine: Affairs of the Heart
Chapter Ten: War of Flowers
Chapter Eleven: Will You Let Me Lead
Chapter Twelve: Auntie's Wicked Tales
Chapter Thirteen: The Aftermath of the Duel
Chapter Fourteen: Corruption [Part One]
Chapter Fourteen: Corruption [Part Two]
Chapter Fifteen: Casual Wedding Conversations
Chapter Sixteen: A Visit at the Bridgertons'
Chapter Seventeen: Lady Danbury Always Gets What She Wants
Chapter Eighteen: Frenzy [Part One]
Chapter Eighteen: Frenzy [Part Two]
Chapter Nineteen: Trouble Brewing
Chapter Twenty: Running Into Some Help
Chapter Twenty-One: The Bridgertons and the Granvilles Unite Forces
Chapter Twenty-Three: Matters Settled
Chapter Twenty-Four: Benedict Comes to a Decision [Part One]
Chapter Twenty-Four: Benedict Comes to a Decision [Part Two]
Chapter Twenty-Five: A Thousand Yellow Daisies
Chapter Twenty-Six: News Travel Fast
Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Moment of Truth
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Conversation and Practice
Chapter Twenty-Nine: A Devious Ruse
Chapter Thirty: A Willing Bride or a Successful Artist
Epilogue: A Promise of a Lifetime

Chapter Twenty-Two: An Invaluable Ally

9.3K 327 19
By holmes22113

"Wallflowers," Lucy murmured, "Wallflowers! Simply ridiculous. I could get that girl shipped across the ocean without anyone noticing."

"You what?" Franny gasped, almost falling into the carriage. Well, better in than out.

"Of course, your Aunt's exaggerating," Henry replied with a reassuring smile, but the sharp glare Lucy shot him didn't exactly settle Franny's concerns. Dear God, were the Granvilles involved with the mafia? Did they run it?

"We prefer a quiet solution as we do not want to draw attention to ourselves, do we," Henry explained in a patient tone.

"Do not use that patronizing tone on me Henry Granville if you wish to continue this journey in the carriage and not under it," Lucy snapped.

Henry raised his hands in surrender, "Or, of course, we can go full-on assault mode. Burn the Cowper House to the ground. Don't take any hostages."

"Auntie," Franny cut in before her aunt could strangle her uncle, "Can I get out? I must talk to Penelope."

"The Featherington girl?" Lucy inquired, "Do you truly need to see her at this very moment?"

"Yes."

Lucy waved her hands as if saying please elaborate.

"Please?"

Henry, returning the favour, replied, "Sure dearest, but please head home after it. And the sooner the better."

"I promise, thank you," Franny knocked on the top of the carriage not giving her aunt the chance to disagree and quickly jumped out when it came to a halt.

After sitting for a few awkward minutes under the suspecting gaze at Mrs. Featherington and listening to her daughters pestering each other, Penelope came to Franny's rescue and took her to her room.

"I suspect you very well know I am not a proponent for small talk, I might just get to the point. I know that you are Lady Whistledown," Franny cut to the chase.

Penelope looked taken aback for a split second before bursting out in laughter. Franny narrowed her eyes in frustration, giving a few minutes for Penelope to finish the theatrics. Her act was good, that much Franny had to admit, but she had already caught a smell and wasn't going to stop, especially not when she needed Lady Whistledown to be on her side.

"Franny, I am merely a shy debutante, very far away from the notorious writer who has wrapped the whole ton around her finger," Penelope waved with her hand dismissively and chattered in a light tone.

"But you are not merely shy debutante, are you," Franny pressed on, lowering the tone at the end of the sentence. She frowned and seized Penelope up who met her gaze with an amused expression. Franny knew that she wasn't going to stare the truth out of her.

"Very well, I do not intend to insult your intelligence by throwing unsupported allegations around. Let me lay my case before you, and when I am done, I hope you will not insult my intelligence either by denying the facts."

Penelope didn't say a word, which Franny interpreted as a green light.

"I do agree with Eloise that Lady Whistledown must be one with considerable means, connections and time. And of course, a woman, that has never been the question, no man would notice the details and pick up on the subtle signs as she does. Eloise suspects that she might be a widow, after all, widows are invited to all social events and not expected to take part in courting which gives them plenty of time to lay back and observe, not to mention that they have considerable financial resources at their disposal. Lady Whistledown is very smart and cheeky which also points towards a widow, with life experience and the confidence to insult half of the ton in such a sublime manner. I do not have anything to counter that theory, indeed, it has led me astray. Alas, Marina's case changed everything."

Franny stopped for a second to let her words hang in the air. She has learnt from her aunt that a pinch of dramatics always enhances the message. Franny noticed that Penelope's undisturbed countenance somehow faltered. She was sitting on the edge of the sofa, her posture stiffened, and her eyes narrowed very slightly, suggesting that she was eager to hear what Franny was going to say.

"Before Marina, most of the gossips that reached Lady Whistledown could have been picked up by anyone who took part in the events of the ton. Someone with great observational skills, no doubt, but the scandals were always whispered around, even if no one dared to articulate them. Moreover, Lady Whistledown has also a great talent for telling gossip and fact apart, which once again attest to her intelligence, but going further away to her fair spirit also. I have always felt a touch of social justice in her voice but correct me if I am mistaken. Albeit, poor Daphne Bridgerton has never hurt a fly in her life, so I do think she was mistreated, but let's not get caught up on details. Back to Marina, she was different, it was... personal. I doubt that anyone outside the Featherington household would have been privy to her secret. No, it was very well kept, maybe even kept from the servants, if such a thing is possible."

Penelope shifted in her seat again, and Franny suppressed a small smile. She was enjoying the tension that hung in the air, and, let's just be frank about it, showing off. However, she reminded herself that she needed Lady Whistledown's help.

"That doesn't rule out servants," Penelope pointed out shrewdly.

"Come to think of it..., Franny replied, "it would be brilliant to operate a servant gossip network. Albeit, servants have their hands full, they would not be able to find the time to write. Not to mention they lack the means and connections to publish papers."

Penelope did not infer, so Franny continued, "I apologise, but I do not think that either Prudence or Philippa have the wits to be Lady Whistledown, and judging by the tone she writes about the Featheringtons, we can rule out Lady Featherington as well. So, clue one," Franny held up her pixie finger to illustrate her point.

"Clue two," second finger, "I noticed that in this issue Lady Whistledown suddenly started calling me Franny. I assure you, I do not give my nickname to many people, only those I like, so very few. Consequently, my aunt and uncle, who I can say with 100% confidence are not Lady Whistledown, Lord Wetherby or Benedict, males, so out of question, that leaves the Bridgertons, and you, Penelope. Now, Lady Bridgerton would be an ideal candidate, but she has her hands full with playing wingwoman to her children, and I have mentioned before Daphne's not so welcoming portrayal in the so-called Society Papers. Eloise, however brilliant she is, definitely is not Lady Whistledown, even if her committed chase to reveal her identity would be a great cover story. Hyacinth, who I am sure will be a force to be reckoned with, is too young. That leaves you, Penelope."

Penelope chuckled lightly, "Your name is not exactly a secret, Franny. Any of these people could have mentioned it to someone, thus giving it away."

"That could be true, Penelope," Franny retorted, secretly enjoying this war of wits, "but as I have said, I do keep my nickname to myself. Lady Whistledown insisted on calling me Frances Granville throughout the whole season, only with the exception of the latest issue. Now, she must have thought that she was only late to the party of finding out my nickname, which was perfectly sensible of her, after all, who would keep their nickname a secret? I, however, do," she made her point, but Penelope was still wearing that little, unconvinced smile of hers.

"Very well, let's move on to clue three," another finger held up, "Colin."

Penelope's chest rose almost imperceptibly, but enough for Franny to pick up on it. She suspected that this was the point that would finally lay her case.

"I do see things as well, Penelope. And I could not help but notice that you always light up when Colin steps into the room and linger your eyes just a second longer at him. I also know that you are not the type who engages in conversations, but you are always at ease with him, bantering and laughing. It is a shame, Penelope, because I think you are awfully clever, and your voice should be heard. Alas, who am I to give advice, my big mouth has got me into enough trouble already."

Franny grew quiet for a second, and Penelope did not interrupt her. She took a deep breath, and continued, "I know you are in love with him. And the fool he is, I don't think he knows. And I truly hope that one day this will change."

Penelope's smile assumed a kind curve, "I don't think there is any use in denying it, yes, I am in love with him. Have been, for quite a while now."

Franny frowned slightly, getting frustrated, "Okay, I see that you are still not giving in. Let me finish then. We found out about Marina's secret at the very last minute, moments before they could elope. I imagine you did anything under your power to stop this from happening, to prevent all the shame to be brought to your family and hurting the Bridgertons. Albeit, in the end, you had no choice but to publish it in the papers. And that is my last clue, bringing together all the evidence I have gathered. You come from an influential family therefore you are invited to all social events. You are invisible to most people, which gives you the advantage to gather info quietly. I also suspect that you have an undercover man who helps you with the publishing, but you certainly have the means to have started this. You are observant, well-read, clever and funny, with a unique style. And most importantly, you are kind and just, that is why you only voice criticism which is true. That is why we have only just learnt about Marina's secret when you have probably known it since day one, because you wanted to avoid the hurt and damage at all cost. Because you care about Marina, but you also care about Colin and you had to stop him from getting caught in a fraud."

Franny finished her monologue and grew quiet. She knew that she had made her point, and it was now only up to Penelope to decide how to proceed.

"Do you think I made the right decision?" she finally asked honestly.

"If I were in your shoes... if it was Benedict... I probably would have done the same," Franny replied squarely. In truth, she knew that Benedict would have believed her if she had told her about Marina, but she did not want to hurt Penelope's feelings.

"Thank you," the red-haired girl whispered with a bleak smile, then drew herself up, her whole countenance changing. Franny knew that Lady Whistledown had finally arrived to the party.

"I will reciprocate your kindness and not insult your intelligence by denying what is plain and clear. My only question is what do you intend to do with this information?"

"Nothing, in particular," Franny stated, but there was another issue bothering her, "Don't you think that Eloise has the right to know?"

Penelope sighed deeply, "Believe me, I have thought this over several times. It causes me pain to keep this from her, but I don't think she would understand. She is a Bridgerton, beautiful and well-liked. I love her from the bottom of my heart, and I have never been jealous of her for a moment. But this is all I have; it's all mine and I can discard it any moment. I finally have an influence and a voice, and it is only safe as long as it remains secret. From anyone, including my very best friend. And I know that you are very different from me, Franny. You have the courage and the confidence not to bother with the ton and to voice your opinions, fearless of the consequences. But I am not like that, I have never felt brave enough to raise my voice. But the Papers give me the confidence to do it. Can you understand it?" Penelope pleaded, her eyes glistening with passion.

Franny thought for a moment and tried to put herself in Penelope's shoes. She liked her very much, she was smart, kind and funny, but it was true that she wasn't as popular or influential as the Bridgertons. She lacked confidence and she found solace in her Papers, similarly in the way Franny found it in painting. Franny always took pride in dismissing the ton and remaining unhinged, but Benedict was right, it was partly because she was afraid of rejection. And if it wasn't for Lord Wetherby or Benedict, she would have needed to put herself out there. She wasn't sure she would have succeeded.

"Of course, Pen," Franny replied honestly, with a kind smile, "And the truth is, I too, lack the confidence. Behind my countenance, I am dreadfully afraid of rejection, that is why I never took courting seriously. Because if I did, and I failed to find someone I truly liked and if he were to reject me, I would be devastated. Albeit, in the end I did find someone I liked, or he found me, rather we found each other. I got extremely lucky to have someone who loves me for who I am and support my efforts of finding my voice. For me, it is through painting, and if for you it is through the Papers, then I am the very last person on this Earth to take that away from you. So yes, I understand, and however hard it will be, I won't tell Eloise either. It is your secret to share, and I promise you that I will keep it."

"Thank you, Franny, I appreciate it," Penelope let out a relieved sigh and her smile widened.

Franny mirrored the gesture, then added, "An overripe citrus, seriously, Penelope?"

They both burst out in laughter, an amicable ambience filled the room.

"I found it a very apt description."

Then Franny suddenly remembered that question that has long occupied her thoughts.

"I was always curious as to why Lady Whistledown hasn't written about my blunder with Cressida at Somerset House. I know you were there, Pen, seen and heard everything, so tell me please."

Penelope swallowed and Franny could feel she was in doubt over how to answer, "Well, I do not like bullying, even if the biggest bully is subject to it. And I also didn't think Cressida's anger should be fuelled by publishing the incident."

Franny let out a breath and leaned back in her seat, while taking a piece of biscuit, "You are very right Pen, and I am sorry about calling her out. You are also wiser than me because Cressida's anger did come back to bite me in the ass."

Penelope's eyes twitched but she smiled despite herself.

"I received a serious threat from Cressida, and I need your help, Pen. More precisely, I need Lady Whistledown's," Franny said seriously, looking Penelope in the eyes, then added to lighten the mood, "I can offer my portrait series of the queen's funny hairstyles in exchange."

"I am sure we can come to an agreement." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.7K 163 12
𝓕𝓸𝓻𝓰𝓸𝓽𝓽𝓮𝓷 𝓓𝓮𝓼𝓲𝓻𝓮𝓼 𓆩♡𓆪 Best friends since they barely learned to walk, Anthony and Ayera had never imagined a life lacking another...
1.2M 29.1K 64
extremely delicate and light in a way that seems too perfect for this world Nola Addington never reached for attention, it was always a given. *I do...
119K 3.2K 28
The tale of Her Majesty The Queen Dowager of Württemberg unfolds not as a fairy-tale love story with a happily ever after but as a narrative of growt...
14K 230 7
Over a series of five sessions, Benedict paints your portrait for your husband-to-be... and a passionate secret love affair develops. Regency 18+ Exp...