Chapter Twenty-Six: News Travel Fast

"Benedict, can I ask you something?" Franny pleaded while she was wrapped in the embrace of Benedict and on her way back to London.

"I would say anything, but knowing you, it would be a dangerous promise to make," came the cheeky reply and Benedict heard Franny huff.

She untangled herself from his embrace to face him. Twining her fingers into his, she rested her eyes on her hand, examining the ring on it. There was a curious feeling in her stomach, something unfamiliar, something strange: she had never imagined herself to be married and now it was her reality. Maybe that feeling was excitement for the impending nuptials with a touch of worry.

Benedict lifted her hand to brush an airy kiss on it while his navy blue eyes stared into hers deeply, "What is it, Franny?"

Franny bit her lips nervously before she spoke her mind.

"Could we hold off announcing the news until I have my audience with the Queen?" she blurted out, then the pace of her words quickened, "It is not because I hold any reservation against being your betrothed. No, please do not harbour any doubts about how committed I am. I am in, I am all in. I just... I want to settle this matter so that I can focus on our wedding with all my energy and devotion. It's not –"

Before she could spiral into more doubt, Benedict reached out to cup her face.

"Franny," he said in a kind tone, "It's okay, we can wait. The most important thing, for now, is to impress the Queen with your picture. Then, when it's done and when you are accomplished, we will start planning our wedding. We have the rest of our lives for us, we are in no hurry."

Franny let out a deep breath and melted into Benedict's touch. He always seemed to be able to put her mind at ease.

"Thank you," she put her hand above his gratefully.

"You are only doing a favour to me. At least we will get a break before my mother goes into raptures. And I can assure you, our wedding will definitely be on par with Daphne's. The ton is in for a treat."

Franny gulped nervously, as she was not quite sure she was ready to be in the centre of attention. Or in white...

"Or," Benedict continued, reading the worry on her face, "we could just elope. She would probably disown me, but the most important thing is that we feel comfortable."

Franny nodded hesitantly without a sound.

"However," Benedict purred in a tone that made Franny shiver, his smile growing lopsided, "I am not willing to wait with this."

But just before Benedict could draw his lips to Franny's, the carriage door was torn open. Franny jumped, and Benedict shielded her with his body, ready to face the intruder. To both their relief and utter surprise, they found themselves in front of the fifth Bridgerton in the row.

"What the hell are you doing, Eloise?" Benedict swore, while his eyes rained thunderstorms on his meddlesome little sister.

Eloise's eyes widened in shock. She blinked a few times and gasped as if she was about to say something, but no sound escaped her throat. If he hadn't been so pissed off, Benedict would have found that situation amusing, as seeing his sister being short on words was a rare occurrence.

"I-I," Eloise stuttered, then, after a few rounds of darting her eyes back and forth between Franny and Benedict, she found her voice, "I wanted to ambush the carriage."

"I am terribly sorry Sir, I did not see her there," the driver joined them sheepishly, quite helpless about what to do. Benedict shooed him away, then grabbed his sister and tucked her into the carriage. Causing a scene in front of the Granville House was the last thing he wanted. Her brother would probably skin all of them, but mostly him, alive. Not to mention Lucy Granville, who was quite a formidable force to be reckoned with.