Chapter Twenty-Three: Matters Settled

The next day soon descended on the Granvilles who had prepared a significant amount of food, tea, and if things were to go south, whiskey, as they were expecting many guests, some of whom remained a mystery before their arrival. Franny was at the edge of her seat, more so than usual, therefore Everly didn't get a chance to announce them.

"Lady Danbury, what are you doing here?" Franny's jaw fell as she caught sight of the elder lady and a prickle of guilt spread in her because she hadn't painted a decent picture to present to her.

"Silly girl, did you really think that I would not come to your aid? And more importantly, miss my chance to watch that sneer being wiped off Cressida's face? Ha!" came the reply accompanied by a grunt.

Franny's mouth curved into an amused grin.

"Now show me where the food is."

Franny led Lady Danbury into the drawing room where Lord Wetherby was already waiting. As always, there was an air of nonchalant elegance around him, but Franny could not miss how his perfect smile assumed a genuine warmness as he was chattering with Henry. Lady Danbury took a seat next to him and nudged him with her cane to hand a plate of cookies over to her.

"Wetherby," Lady D. greeted him, "You look handsome as always."

"You aren't so bad yourself, Lady Danbury," he replied with his signature impeccable smile.

"Smooth as usual. I get why the Granvilles like you so much."

Lord Wetherby nodded in silence, while the elder lady regarded him over the rim of her teacup, a small smile playing on her mouth.

Franny rushed to the entrance when she heard a carriage arriving, beating Everly to the door. Not that he put much effort in engaging in a race with her, after all, he did not mind her doing his job instead of him.

"Franny dearest, how are you this morning?" Lady Bridgerton kissed Franny's cheeks.

"As fine as one can be, given the situation," she replied honestly.

Anthony leaned down to brush an airy kiss across Franny's knuckles which she found the most awkward. She had no idea where Anthony's sudden gentleness came from. He stumbled into the drawing room and Franny found himself in front of Benedict. From the grin on his handsome face, very-very handsome face, she knew that he was contemplating kissing her,  definitely not on her hand. But in the end, he decided that there was enough excitement for the day and he did not cause a scene.

"Cressida should be here by now," Franny commented when all the guests took their seats.

"Oh, she won't be here for another ten minutes or so," Lady Danbury added in a tone that implied she knew the reason behind Cressida's absence.

"How so?" Lucy inquired, her hand stopping in midair. 

"I paid the carriage driver to get lost on his way a few times."

Benedict laughed out loud, "You really are diabolical, Lady Danbury. And I quite enjoy it when I am not the target of it."

"Don't we all?"

"Yes, we certainly do," said a deep voice and all eyes turned to the Duke of Hastings and his wife on his side. Whether Everly had decided that people were fine letting themselves in or could not chase after them, remained a mystery.

The Granvilles rose to their feet to greet the new arrivals and pay their respect. 

"Your Grace and Your Grace we cannot express how grateful we are for your support," Lucy thanked them with a polite curtsy.

"Naturally, Mrs. Granville, we are to be a family and we always protect our family, don't we, Simon?" Daphne shot a look at the duke making Franny suspect that things weren't exactly smooth between the two of them.