Humanity's Butterfly

By ShinyUmbreon1243

After being sent into an S class mission by the 5th Hokage, Sunako Uchiha, one of the few surviving members o... More

Prologue (SLIGHT EDITED)
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Filler Chapter: Visiting the 104th Cadets
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Filler Chapter #2: Sunako's Sunny Side Battle
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Filler Chapter #3: Tea Battle
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Filler Chapter #4: Unveiling the Butterfly
Chapter 21
Chapter 22

Chapter 12

8.1K 274 166
By ShinyUmbreon1243

Levi blinked his eyes once more, adjusting his vision to see that he's back in Erwin's office along with Erwin, Hange, Mike. They're back where they were before with Sunako standing the same spot before them. Her face streaked with blood and looked a bit tired herself. Her blood-red eyes shifting back to her onyx ones.

Levi clicked his tongue, approaching her as he takes out his handkerchief and proceeded to scrub the blood away. This was the second time today that he used his handkerchief to scrub her face.

"Thank you." She muttered while letting her captain clean off the blood from her face. Once satisfied, Levi pulled his hand away, giving Sunako the handkerchief which she knows she has to clean it off, before walking back to Erwin's side. However, he could still remember her dying in the rain, cold and alone with her blood pouring out from her wound. Is that how she got those scars? From that masked man?

It took some time to process what they have seen and heard. It was nothing they have ever seen before. A place where Titans don't exist and people could go in and out of the village. The downside was how people were divided, fighting and killing each other whether it's for the village or themselves, going through war against others. To think that Sunako was born in such a war-torn world, young children raised to be child soldiers and fight all for the sake of one's village.

"How long have we been gone?" Erwin asked.

"About 5 minutes. Not much time has passed since I showed you the truth about myself." Sunako replied.

They were quite shocked. It looked as if they spent years seeing through her past and yet only 5 minutes have passed.

"5 minutes... In just 5 minutes..." Hange started. The next thing Sunako knew, Hange grabbed her by the shoulder, her face inches close to her with a crazed expression on her face as the petite woman lean her head back her smile still present on her face as she remain compose. "Do you mind if I could take some tests on you? I would really like to know how it was only 5 minutes when we've spent years overseeing your memories! I would also want to know how fire came out of your mouth along with your other abilities! Please? Pretty please?!"

Sunako blinked several times before answering, "Nope. But I can show you if you want?" she then turn to Erwin. "After all, I know there are some questions you wanted to be answered. Go ahead and ask, I will try my best to tell you all that I know of."

"Very well." Erwin leaned back, putting his hands down on his desk as Hange walk back to his side of the room. "Then tell me, what is this 'chakra' and 'chakra pathways'? It has been mentioned about it before but I'd like to know what that is in context." He said.

"Ara ara, that's a rather complex question, commander. Well, chakra are, to put it simply, energies that a shinobi needs in order to perform even the most basic of techniques. Through various methods, the most common of which is hand seals, chakra can be controlled and manipulated to create an effect that would not be possible otherwise, such as walking on water, exhaling fire, or creating illusions. Though, Chakra is ordinarily not visible to the unaided eye unless it is highly concentrated or manifested in large amounts. Chakra is also a form of life energy that all individuals produce to some degree; those who run out of chakra will die and I'm no exception to that. I also use chakra to strengthen my physical capabilities and can also amplify my use of weaponry." She paused for a moment, her eyes observing them absorbing the information they were given to them from her mouth before she continued.

"Chakra is created when two more primal energies, known collectively as one's 'stamina', are molded together. Physical Energy is collected from each of the body's cells and can be increased through training, stimulants, and exercise. While Spiritual Energy is derived from the mind's consciousness and can be increased through studying, meditation, and experience. These two energies becoming more powerful will in turn make the created chakra more powerful. At any given time, a shinobi will have a 'maximum' amount of chakra that they can form and use before it runs out and they need to rest to replenish it. With practice, this maximum can be increased, but to a certain extent as they are limited to the quantity and strength of chakra that their genetics grants them. As I'm part of the Uchiha Clan, my chakra is quite large than the average amount of chakra a civilian has. The same goes for those who are part of a Shinobi clan." She said, glancing at their looks of consideration before continuing.

"However, Produced within and manipulated by organs such as the heart, the energy circulates throughout the body in a network called the "Chakra Pathway System", which is similar to the cardiovascular system. Simply put, they serve the same function for chakra as blood vessels do for blood, transporting chakra through the body and each organ as the circulatory system does blood." Sunako said.

"I see..." Erwin brought his hand up to his chin in a thoughtful motion. "In your memories, the doctor explained how your Chakra pathways are fragile that it couldn't support the large amount of Chakra that you have."

"Yes. My pathways were underdeveloped when I was born but it's gotten better now." Sunako assured them. Throughout the years, her pathways have slowly developed itself that she no longer needs someone regulating her chakra.

"Could you maybe demonstrate for us? This chakra of yours?" Hange asked her as Sunako nodded. Glancing around, she then found the perfect wall she could do to show them. They watched as she approached the wall, putting one foot on the wall as her chakra enabled her to stick her foot on the wall before proceeding to climb, not using her hands whatsoever as if she was casually walking. She stopped when she stood upside down on the ceiling as they all stared at her from below.

Hange gaped in awe and her eyes twinkle in astonishment. Sunako then released her chakra from the soles of her feet, gravity taking her down as she flipped her body to land her feet softly on the ground. She was in a crouch position before she stood back up with her smile still present on her face.

"You've got to teach me how to do that." Hange said. Sunako's brows contorted slightly. "I'm sorry, Hange. But I don't think that's possible."

"How so?"

"Well, when I arrived into this world, there's little to no chakra present in this world. Therefore, I'm the only one who has and can use chakra to that extent." She explained. Hange slumped her shoulders in disappointment that she couldn't do the same move Sunako did.

"Then how were you able to recover your chakra?" Erwin questioned her.

"Meditation. I found that not only am I able to expand my reserves but I could also recover my chakra when I meditated, along with some rest." Sunako replied.

"Tell me something," Sunako turned her attention to Levi. His grey eyes staring intently at her onyx ones. "I could tell that you used your chakra to strengthen your arms to cut a titan's nape off now that you explained what chakra is. However, explain to me on why there are purple blotches on those shitty bastard's nape as well as what the hell did you do to your body?" He demanded.

Sunako knew what he meant since they saw her consuming poison in her memories. She knew that he was also suspicious of her lack of physical strength ever since their spar. "I modified my body to be immune to poison. From the very blood and internal organs, down to the tips of my fingers. Because of my lack of physical strength, I knew that I can't always rely on my chakra so I have to find other ways to contribute myself to humanity. It was only then that I was able to create a poison lethal enough to kill a Titan. By exposing poison through the Titan's nape, it will immediately spread throughout the Titan's system within a few seconds until the Titan dies." Sunako explains.

"How were you able to expose them with poison?" Mike asked.

"I may have tinkered with my ODM gear so that when I pulled my blades out, it was already coated with heavy doses of poison." Sunako answered honestly with a calm smile.

Erwin was impressed that this petite woman, who they discovered had no physical strength, used her pharmaceutical skills to go around her weakness. It was no easy feat to discover another solution to kill Titans.

"In your memories, I could tell that the name Uchiha was of prominence and had a high standing in your village before it fell out due to distrust between them. Would you mind explaining about it?" Erwin asked.

"Sure." Sunako said. "Among the four noble clans in Konoha, the Uchiha clan was reputed to be the strongest shinobi clan because of our bloodline limit, the Sharingan, and our natural battle prowess. After the Warring States period, the Uchiha unified with the Senju and created Konoha within the borders of the land of fire."

"Oh!" Hange snapped her fingers. "So that's why the air around you screamed nobility whenever you talk!"

"You could say that, but I am no heir. However, even after helping found Konoha decades ago, my clan grew increasingly isolated from the village's affairs which led to plot a coup against the village and then their downfall. I was one of the few surviving Uchiha until I died. I guess you could say right now that I'm the first and last Uchiha living in this world." Sunako said. If she were to be married, she would no longer carry on the Uchiha name to her children with the possibility that her children may inherit her clan's bloodline, and if she were to die, then that would be the end of her bloodline.

"Then what is the Uchiha Clan and this 'Sharingan' of yours?" Erwin asked.

Sunako closed her eyes, thinking back on her elder brother's words and the knowledge of her clan. "As I'm sure it was mentioned in my memories. Before the founding of Konoha, the Senju Clan and the Uchiha clan have warred endlessly across history. Both clans have been enemies since the beginning."

"Your mother did mention that, but how does that connect?" Levi questioned her with narrowed eyes.

Sunako sighed. "It was often said that in contrast to the Senju clan who sought to triumph not through techniques, but through the power of love, whereas the Uchiha clan valued the power of techniques above all. However, the truth was very different."

Levi lifted his brow in interest as Sunako calmly stared at them. Her eyes held seriousness and shone wisdom as she revealed the one sentence that most people haven't thought of throughout history. "No clan feels deeper love than the Uchiha. That is why we suppressed and sealed it away."

"What do you mean by that?" Levi demanded, his brows furrowed.

"Once a member of the Uchiha comes to know love, it's as if all our previously checked emotions are released. Strong love and power exceeding even that of the Senju."

"But why is that a problem? It should help them bond with the Senju. This super strong power of love, shouldn't it?" Hange asked. A bit confused on why it would be a problem.

"But therein lies the danger." Sunako's tone turned grim. "Excessively strong love is capable of flying out of control. When an Uchiha knows love only to then lose those powerful feelings, it is replaced by an even stronger hate that changes them. I've seen it happen among my clansmen and I am no exception to it. And that's when a special condition emerges."

"A special condition?" Erwin questioned, sitting up straight on his seat when he heard, rather curious about this condition.

"When an Uchiha is tormented by the loss of a great love, or by despair at who they have become, or something equally terrible, a special chakra flows through the brain, causing the nerves to respond and our eyes to be altered. This phenomenon is called the Sharingan, eyes that reflect the heart." Sunako paused for a bit, thinking back to the times where she awakened her Sharingan along with how her brother awakened his in his despair. "The Sharingan aligns with the power of that person's heart, rapidly making them stronger, even as it strengthens the hatred in their heart."

Levi immediately thought back to Sunako's memories. The number of times she lost people precious to her along with losing the lives of their squad in their recent expedition. The rage she felt when she lost her beloved elder brother and when she faced the masked man who murdered her parents.

"I was among the many sensitive people in the Uchiha clan but almost all of them who awaken to powerful emotions end up falling into darkness. While I'm among the few Uchiha who are able to transcend my clan's usual narrow-mindedness and chose a different path than my fellow clansmen. As that darkness grows deeper, our ocular powers also grow till we can't be stopped. Just like our predecessor, Madara Uchiha." Sunako said, scoffing to herself when a thought came into mind.  "It's funny, actually. Madness and greatness are like two sides of the same coin. Every time a new Uchiha is born, the gods toss the coin in the air and the world holds its breath to see how it will land."

It was silent at first, the information she gave about the Uchiha gave off a different light about her and her clan. For one, an Uchiha's love was deeper than they expected. For such excessively strong love, is capable of losing out of control which eventually leads to madness and seemingly impossible to reason with. However, knowing that there are only a few people that would not fall into such madness.

One thing's for certain, hatred is born in order to protect love and the Uchiha clan is a clan cursed with hatred.

"Now that you mention about hate, were you angry the whole time?" Mike suddenly asked. Sunako looked at him, her eyes slightly widen in surprise. She always kept her emotions hidden from others.

"How was she angry when she's smiling? I don't see her being angry now." Hange stated, looking quizzical at Mike's question.

"I've been smelling subtle hints of anger from you ever since you joined. It only grew over time despite you having a smile on your face. Even now, I could still smell the angry scent from you." Mike confessed. It was quiet for a moment as Levi looked at her with a raised brow, expecting what she has to say.

"Yes. You're right. I guess you could say that I'm in a constant state of anger." Sunako admitted, looking down at the floor bit, her onyx eyes downcast as she loses her smile in front of them. Now that she has been exposed, there's no point in denying how she really felt for a very long time. "Ever since the people I cared about died, whether in front of me or not. Every time I see the tears of those who've lost their loved ones, every time I hear those cries of despair, the anger keeps building up inside me and continues to swell. Deep down in the innermost depths of my body, there's a revulsion that I can't fight. I'm sure you all felt something similar, as well."

Levi looked at her, his face remains indifferent but he knew what she meant. In fact, the rest of them knew very well the revulsion they felt. That sense of revulsion he felt towards Titans, the very beasts who took away the lives of his subordinates and his closest friends. He knew all that too well. Not to mention the loathing he felt towards those merchant pigs who fatten themselves as well as the incompetence of the military police.

Sunako clenched her fist slightly before loosening it. "Both my mother and elder brother were kind-hearted people, too kind for their own good. They had sympathy for their enemies and held hope that peace is possible. Even in death, I knew that they still felt pity for them. I, for one, couldn't bring myself to feel that way. How can you feel sorry for your enemies and think that we could understand one another and live in peace? I've never heard of anything so absurd and naive." She said, revealing her cynical point of view. It was baffling so to speak. How could they feel sympathetic for their enemies who killed countless of their comrades?

"But if that was how they truly felt, then I must carry it on. If there's a way to end this bloodshed and live in peace with others, I have to keep trying to come up with it. Without ever extinguishing the smile that both my mother and elder brother said they loved..." she continued, thinking back at the blissful times she spent with her family till their deaths.
—————————————————————————————————————————————

After the Uchiha clan massacre, she was sent to the hospital to recover from the recent trauma she witnessed. There she sat on the hospital bed with her mother's hairpin as teardrops fell on the white sheets. She held the hairpin close to her chest as she cried. Mourning over her parents' deaths.

She lost so much of the people she mattered to. She should've protected them as she should as a kunoichi and yet she failed to do so. Why? Why was she so weak?

'Nii-San...Otosan... Okasan... I'm sorry!' She thought. Her tears were of frustration and grief. The guilt she felt was overbearing as she continued to cry till her tears ran out.

'Why am I so pathetically weak!'
———————————————————————————————————————

"But now, I'm a bit exhausted. People do nothing but lie. Whether they're humans or Titans, losing all reason out of self-preservation, murdering innocents with their instincts laid totally bare." Sunako said, clenching her fists tightly as she thought of those kinds of people as well as the Titans before taking a breath to reel her emotions in.

Levi observed her as she calms herself down. He now sees why she had kept her secret and her emotions for a long time. It was all to protect, not only herself, but to others around her. Hiding her emotions away with a smile and an easygoing persona is like a defense mechanism. Knowing what other people will extort her in doing something she does not want. To her, it must've been a gamble to see if her trust in them was worth it.

"Who else knew of your secret?" Erwin asked.

"My siblings, Eren, Mikasa, and Armin, knew of my secret." Sunako answered.

Erwin hummed and nodded. "You have my word that I will keep your secret and so does the rest of us in this room, if you continue to offer yourself for humanity. Is that understood?"

It was silent at first before Sunako's smile returns to her face. "Understood, sir."
—————————————————————————————————————————————

Levi sat in his office, his hands writing with the quill as his eyes scanned on every report. The dark bags under his eyes were evident. Like every other night, he couldn't sleep well. Barely slept for three hours as it is. His mind troubled mainly towards a certain petite, raven-haired woman. After she discloses the truth about herself, showing them her past, especially when she revealed about her clan and her emotions hidden behind a smiling mask.

He couldn't help but feel unease. The memory of her bloodied body alone in the rain still lingered in his mind coinciding with her unresponsive body back in the Forest of Giant Trees. He knew in their line of work, death was inevitable. Whether or not you survived long enough or very much skilled, death will find its way to meet one's end. And yet the thought of her death was something incomprehensible.

At this point, the pile of papers did not seem to get any smaller by the second. Normally, these were handle by Erwin but he had delegated the tasks to him. Filling out death reports, sending out condolence letters to families of the deceased, filling out fund requests, and creating budget reports for the next two expeditions, if they even got them to begin with. Of course, he gave Sunako half of them.

At the side of his desk were four letters, addressed to his former subordinates' families and loved ones. It was supposedly a generic letter, the template used for every single KIA of the Scout Regiment. However, it didn't sit well with him at the thought that his team was going to receive the same bad news and old condolences everyone got made when they had died trying to protect what they thought was Humanity's Hope.

Now, Favoritism was prohibited in the military, but he knew that his team deserves better. Their families deserved more than the military benefits for deceased soldiers, but there's nothing he could do in that area. He could, however, make it personal. It was the least he could do.

Of all the letters he wrote, these were probably the most personal he could get. Ever since he was a child, there had always been a wall in his mind about what he had to do and what he wanted to do. Between his duty as a soldier for humanity or his personal sentiments. Numerous times, it protected him from getting hurt, but that meant protected him from other people.

He was already hurt as it is and had the unfortunate desire to alleviate the pain their families must be feeling. Having that wall also meant he was shitty at comforting people the conventional way. It has been proven the night before the expedition with Sunako. He did not dare to write short letters cause that would be an insult to the families of his squad.

To the Gin family, he wrote that Eld was a responsible and firm soldier with a strong sense of duty. He was compassionate in the headquarters and cared about his comrades but ruthless on the fields. He was proud of his family and origins, especially to the woman he loved and was going to propose when the mission was over. To Seraphine, he added that Eld would've wished she mourned for him, but she must also move on when the time felt right for her as there is no use in chasing after a ghost.

The letter for the Shultz family was only addressed to his mother, whom Gunther spoke with reverence. She had raised him in what he said were the most critical points in his life. His strength and honor as a soldier were commendable. He was fiercely protective of his friends and squadmates, a trait that saved lives in their profession. He was also thankful to his mother and grandfather for supporting him in his decision to join the Scout Regiment.

As for Oruo... His initial thought of him was a very self-confident, outspoken individual who boasts about his own prowess. Not to mention one of the most silently arrogant people he met. Of course, no parent would like to hear that about their child, especially their dead child. However, while Oluo may be arrogant, he never left anyone behind. One of the excellent soldiers they had. 

The last letter was addressed to Petra's father. Other than Sunako, she had acted as the caretaker to the group. She was openly warm and supportive, but ruthless to all the Titans that dared to harm her loved ones. Her skill and power made sure nobody was ever harmed. He admitted, he had never realized how much Petra had devoted herself to him until her father had let him known.

He then heard his door knock twice but he didn't stop writing. "State your name."

"It's Sunako, may I come in?"

Of course, it was her. Levi gave her permission to enter as the petite woman opened the door, holding two cups in her hand. He could feel her eyeing the black circles under his eyes while he sat on his chair, writing and checking report after report. "I see you've been working up late." She pointed out, placing his cup of black tea in front of him.

"These f****** reports aren't going to work by themselves. I might as well finish them while I'm at it." He said. Glancing briefly at the tea before him. "You didn't put anything in there, did you?"

"Now why would you ever assume that, Captain?" Sunako questioned, a teasing glint in her eyes seeing how hesitant he is to drink the tea.

"Knowing you and the countless times you drugged my tea, I have every right to be f****** cautious." Levi snarked back at her. Sunako chuckled a bit when her eyes caught on four envelopes at the side. She picked two of the letters up to find that these letters were addressed to Petra's family and Eld's family. Her brow raised slightly as she looked back up at Levi.

"These are..." She trailed off. Grey eyes glanced up to the two letters she's holding before looking back and continuing on with his work. "Those letters will be given out later today to inform their families about what happened to them. In case you're wondering, I'll be the one to personally deliver those."

"With that leg of yours?" She questioned. His hand immediately halted from writing as he touches his left leg rather consciously when she pointed that out. "This is nothing." He uttered.

Sunako sighed before going around his desk, going to his left side. "Let me see." She said.

"I told you this is nothing, Uchiha. Stop being so f****** nosy, you brat." He hissed. Sunako's brow twitched slightly at how stubborn he's being despite the sweet smile playing on her face as she kicked his ankle which sent Levi reeling in a string of colorful curses.

"Ara ara, here I thought you said that it's nothing." She recounted. Normally, it would take several of her kicks for Levi to feel it. He wouldn't even be cursing out in pain had he let her check on his foot than stubbornly denied. Levi glared at her but Sunako was unfazed and kept smiling, aggravating him with that annoying smile of hers. "Now, don't give me that look. You know, that's another reason why nobody likes you."

Levi clicked his tongue. Here it is, back to her teasing. Sunako waited for him before he relented much to her delight. He pushed his chair a bit from his desk for Sunako to kneel down and thoroughly check his foot. She took off his boots and rolled up his pants. It felt tender when she touch the ankle, she could even see some swelling and bruising.

Her hand slightly moved his foot upwards causing Levi to hiss in pain. Her ears heard the sound of popping at the time when he saved Mikasa not to mention he was limping after that even when they arrived at headquarters. "You definitely sprained your ankle." Sunako uttered.

Before he could even have a chance to retort, a green glow suddenly lit up from her hand, hovering over his ankle. His ankle felt warm but he could almost feel the pain lessening the second. It honestly feels good.

Levi shifted his gaze to Sunako as she remains focused on doing her task. In all honesty, she looked so domesticated with a smile on her lips. It was as if she wasn't raised to be a child soldier whose hands trained to kill. He's not one to talk, his hands aren't particularly pure either. "I'm coming with you to deliver those letters."

"No." Levi promptly said, as Sunako look up to meet his gaze. "And why not?"

"It's none of your business. This is a responsibility that I chose to do."

"They're my teammates too, Levi." She pointed that out. "I, at least, deserve to be there just as much as you do. I owe them a lot, so let me do this one more time." She beseeched him.

Levi wanted to say no but the look in her eyes made him think otherwise. He knew that inwardly she was still grieving over the deaths of their squad. The fact that she's the only survivor of the original team didn't help at all. Then again, she is a survivor. Maybe he wanted to spare her any more of the guilt she carried herself.

Before he knew it, his lips moved when he should've said the opposite of what he said. "Fine."

He cursed himself on why he said that as Sunako's eyes lit up when he relented before smiling softly at him. She then turns her focus on finish healing up his ankle as the green glow in her hands died down. "That should do it. How do you feel?" She asked him.

Levi tested out by moving his foot in rotation, expecting to feel pain only to find none. It's surreal how in just one moment the pain from his sprain ankle would be gone by the petite woman's healing power. "It's... alright." He hummed.

"That's good." Sunako said with a cheerful smile on her face as she stood up and patted her knees. Levi rolled down his pants and put on his boots as Sunako made her way towards the door and before she left, she said, "I'll finish up my side of the paperwork and then we can leave. Don't strain yourself too much."

With that, she turned her heel and left the door. Levi's grey eyes lingered at the door where Sunako left before he clicked his tongue and muttered. "That brat, I didn't even dismiss her yet."
—————————————————————————————————————————————

The journey was quiet between them as they both rode on their horses. It wasn't the kind of silence that makes them uncomfortable. In fact, they had spent enough time around each other that the silence doesn't bother them at all. Levi glanced briefly at Sunako before refocusing his gaze at the road ahead of them.

They had nothing to say to each other, but inwardly they were preparing themselves for what is to come. Telling the families of the deceased soldiers was something many veterans face, after coming back on an expedition. The reaction varies though, from weeping to yelling out in rage, blaming the regiment for the death of a loved one.

Sunako saw how her father reacted when Daisuke died and knew how it felt to lose someone precious. Her captain in Anbu does this as well when a comrade of theirs died, leaving behind their families. She doesn't get to do this in Anbu since it was mostly her captain who does the job, but in the Scout Regiment, it can be anyone and she thought it was right for her to tell the families of her friends.

Truly, the bonds she had with her squad were something she can never forget. Most of all, her bonds with Eld and Gunther were memorable to her. They were the first people who she had a close friendship with ever since they were just Cadets in this world besides her wards. They were the first people who offered her friendship and she was grateful for it.

It didn't take long till the sun was almost at its highest point when they arrived. The next part of the trip was finding the houses where their comrades' lived. However, since Karanes was a fairly organized district, they assumed they wouldn't have much trouble finding their houses.

Their uniforms may have caught unwanted attention, even more so due to their reputation, but they're on a military business so they couldn't just dress up as civilians. The failure of the 57th Expedition was still so fresh in everyone's minds that they were being viewed with such pity and disgruntle, an interesting combination.

Disgruntled was nothing out of the ordinary. The Scout Regiment has always been viewed as useless and a waste of money considering nobody other than the Scout Regiment had any hope of regaining back lost territory. Both Levi and Sunako didn't pay any mind to their malcontent since they were pretty use to it in every expedition. Pity, though, was something new to Levi but he wasn't sure whether he liked it or not.

Sunako, however, was no stranger of such pity towards her. She and Sasuke had received sympathetic looks from civilians after the massacre happened whenever they walk by but paid no mind to it. If anything, the only reason they paid more attention to them wasn't just because of their looks or talents. No, it was because of their clan name. It disgusts her when she overhead some civilian family telling their daughter to get close to Sasuke due to him being the survivor and heir of the Uchiha clan. Many men have tried to ask her out but she saw through their motives and rejected every single one, she didn't even bother remembering their names.

The first house was the Bozad family home as both of them went up to the door. Sunako then proceeded to knock on the door twice and waited till the door opened revealing to be Oruo's father, Hugo Bozad. Hugo looked at them rather dumbfounded. He was expecting that it was his son to be at the door, instead, it was the famed captain Levi and Sunako.

"You're... Mr. Bozad? Oruo's father, correct?" The petite, raven-haired woman asked.

Hugo snapped out of his trance and nodded in confirmation. "Yes. Yes, I am. Please, come in." He opened the door a bit wider to allow them in, which they promptly did as he closed the door and beckoned them to the couch.

"Dear, who was at the door?" They heard a woman called out from the kitchen.

"It's captain Levi and Sunako." Hugo answered before turning to the both of them. "Would the both of you like some tea?" He asked.

"We're good, thank you." Sunako politely answered, her smile ever-present. She observed around the family home to see devoid of children when she could've sworn that Oruo did mention that he has 6 younger siblings one time. She looks up at Hugo and asked, "Mr. Bozad, do you perhaps have any other children?"

"Please, call me Hugo, Mr. Bozad sounds too formal. The children should be outside playing somewhere." Hugo answered scratching at the back of his neck when a thought came to him. "Speaking of children, Oruo had been sending us letters on how he's doing but surely, he must've not caused any trouble, right? So, how's my son doing?" He asked.

Sunako and Levi looked at each other before turning back to Hugo, who's looking anxiously at the both of them. "Could you please bring your wife here? We have something to tell the both of you."

Hugo nodded a bit before getting his wife from the kitchen. It didn't take long till both parents came out of the kitchen. "Mrs. Bozad?" Sunako questioned.

"Yes, but please call me Elea." Elea said. Anxiousness evident on her face.

"So, what do you want to tell us? Is my son okay?" Hugo asked them. Levi took out the letter from the small bag he carried and handed it to Hugo. "I'm sorry, but Oruo died in our last expedition."

The moment Levi told them, both parents' world shook as they look at the both of them in pure shock and disbelief. Sunako's hand curled, swallowing the lump in her throat as Elea's eyes became glossy. "This can't be... Tell me, this is some kind of joke, right?" Hugo asked, disbelief evident on his face as his voice cracked.

Sunako shook her head, losing her smile a bit as her onyx eyes were filled with remorse. "I'm sorry, but it's the truth..."

Elea broke down into tears. Her cries filled with grief and despair. "Oh, my son! My poor Oruo!"

Hugo wrapped his arms around his wife in an attempt to comfort her but he, too, was also grieving. His son is gone, he's not coming back. He clutches the letter in his hand tightly. "I told him he shouldn't have gone to the Scouts... It would have been better if he had joined the Military Police or the Garrison but he chose the Scouts... He was so proud of it too... but look where it got him." He said. His voice held contempt before looking at the two people responsible for Oruo.

Sunako could see the overwhelming grief and contempt but she understands how they felt. "Please get out of my house." Hugo said.

Levi nodded, glancing at the petite, raven-haired woman, motioning his head towards the door as the two stood up and started to walk out of the door to leave them to grieve. However, Sunako halted her steps, turning to look at the grieving parents. Levi also stopped when he noticed her looking back.

Sunako took a deep breath before opening her mouth. "Oruo was... one of the most confident people I've met and worked with. He looks after others and helps them despite him saying otherwise. You should be proud of him."

The two looked at her with tearful eyes as Sunako bows slightly. "Again, I sincerely apologize for your loss and farewell." She genuinely said before turning her heel and left, closing the door before meeting with Levi as they walk together towards their horses.

Their horses were still tied where they had left them, the perfect picture of obedience. People were passing by, their eyes watching them quietly with curiosity as to why there are two soldiers in front of the Bozad's home. Sunako caressed Izanami's snout a bit as they mount their horses and went on to the next house.

The next house just happened to be the Ral's house. If what Sunako heard correctly, Petra was raised by her father when her mother died. Petra often expresses her worries about her father to the petite woman. If he was alright in alone while she was gone away from home. Sunako could tell that Petra's relationship with her father was close. In a way, it made her reminiscent of her and her father.

Sunako may not admit it herself but she's rather a daddy's girl. Though her father was strict and doesn't give much praise, her mother may have secretly told her how he doted on her and was simply proud of her accomplishments despite her condition. Knowing that she had wanted to please her father more and worked hard to do so.

Once they arrived at the front door of the Rall's home, Sunako proceeded to knock on his door twice and waited for Petra's father to open the door. It didn't take long for the man to open the door only to be surprised to see Captain Levi and Sunako Uchiha.

"Captain Levi and Sunako!"

"Good afternoon, Mr. Rall, would you mind us coming in?" Sunako asked as he promptly nodded.

"Yes, of course! Come in. But please call me Henry." He said, opening the door wide enough for them to enter. The petite woman gave her thanks as she and Levi immediately entered his home. "Why don't we sit at the dining area, I'll make you some tea."

"We appreciate the offer, but we have pressing matters that needs to be done." Levi said as they sat down at the dining table.

Sunako gestured to Henry to sit at the table with them. "Please sit, we have something to tell you." She said.

Henry did as he was told and sat at the opposite of the table from them. He could still remember how he came forward to thank Levi for taking care of Petra after the regiment came back from their failed expedition, and the petite, raven-haired woman, whom his daughter expressed her admiration in her letters to the famed Humanity's Butterfly, was right beside him. "So what do you want to tell me? How's my Petra doing? Was she doing well?" He asked.

The smile on his face made Sunako feel remorse but she didn't show it. "It's about Petra." She said. Levi glanced at her before deciding he should be the one to tell him. He took out the letter designated for him from his bag and slide it towards him on the table. Henry looked at the letter before hesitantly picking it up. His smile disappearing as he looked up. The incoming dread starting to bubble.

"I'm sorry, but Petra died in our last expedition." The moment he heard those words, it's like his world shatter. His daughter, his only daughter is dead. "No... no, she can't be dead... my Petra... my only daughter.... why?" he uttered under his breath in disbelief, tears of grief fell from his eyes. His hand tightened into a fist. "Give me back..." he muttered.

"Sir?"

Henry then grabbed Sunako by the collar. Levi was about to intervene before Sunako grabbed his arm to stop him as she let Petra's father grabbing the collar of her uniform and yell at her in such grief. "GIVE HER BACK TO ME! MY PETRA!"

He was sobbing uncontrollably. His wails are loud, wretched in complete agonizing pain as Sunako stared at him with such sympathy in her eyes, never taking them off of Petra's grieving father. "I'm sorry..." Sunako apologized, her voice was gentle yet solemn.

"WHY COULDN'T YOU PROTECT HER!? SHE WAS SO YOUNG! YOUR SORRIES CANT BRING HER BACK! SHE WAS SO PROUD OF SERVING UNDER BOTH OF YOU, SO PROUD TO EVEN JOIN THE SCOUT REGIMENT, BUT LOOK AT HER NOW! WHAT DID SHE DIE FOR!? MY POOR DAUGHTER! WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? MY PETRA!? GIVE HER BACK! GIVE ME BACK MY PETRA!" Henry yelled, shaking the petite woman harshly. He was mad with grief, blinded with rage just like how her father reacted when her elder brother died.

Levi couldn't tolerate anymore when the man shook Sunako harshly as he promptly made the elder man let go of his grip from her collar. However, Henry never left his condemning, judgemental eyes off of the people in front of him as Levi has his hand protectively in front of him.

Sunako calmly urges Levi by pulling his hand down and shook her head before looking at the elder man with sympathy and remorse. There's no fixing the past and the dead cannot come back, that's the reality. A reality she knew dreadfully well. "I'm terribly sorry for your loss. I know my apologies won't bring the dead back. Your daughter is precious to you, I know. But, thank you for raising Petra."

Her lips quirked up into a sad smile. "Your daughter was one of the most kindhearted people I've met and you are her father who raised her, so thank you and I'm sorry."

Both Levi and Sunako stood up. "We'll be taking our leave, again I'm sorry." Levi said before they walk towards the door and left as they close the door behind them. The petite woman let out a sigh as they walk towards their horses.

Levi glanced at her. "Oi, you alright?" He asked.

Sunako nodded and reassured him with her usual smile on her face. "Don't worry, I'm alright." She said.

Their horses were there, perfectly oblivious to what was happening to their owners. There are still 2 more houses to go but Levi had hoped that Sunako would sit out on these two. He knew how important Eld and Gunther are to the petite woman. The fact that they'll be going to the families of her dead best friends is difficult already.

"The next two are the most important ones." She said.

Levi frowned. Her mentality was what he was concerned about. "You're taking this too far, Sunako. you should go home."

"I already have many regrets in my life, I'm not adding more to the list, Levi." She said, her voice was solemn as she looks straight ahead. If she doesn't go on, she would regret it for the rest of her life. The list of regrets were too many to count on but by doing this, she would somewhat feel easy with herself.

A look of softness flashed in Levi's grey eyes before returning back to its hardened state as he holds in a sigh. Who was he kidding? This is Sunako he was talking about. Even if he ordered her, her stubbornness remains. But, he saw himself in her. Without ever showing much of her emotions, he somehow knew she was suffering. Grieving over the loss of their squad who became like family to them.

However, at the same time, she's not like him. Unlike him, she retained very much of her remaining humanity within her. Her mother and brother's influence is what made her held on to her sanity but in turn, was a mask that she wore every day as if it's a defense mechanism. It was commendable that she held on, but for how long? How long will she keep this act? How long till she breaks?

They mounted their horses and headed towards the Schultz home, which was a bit farther away. The sun had already passed the highest point in the sky, meaning it was at least two. It was summer, so sunset was around nine, but Levi really wanted to be back at the headquarters by eight.

About half an hour later, Levi's stomach grumbled slightly. All the drama from the morning had made him forget lunchtime had passed and he was getting hungry. He glanced at Sunako and ask, "Do you want to eat lunch somewhere?"

Sunako raised a brow slightly at his question. "Didn't we brought rations?"

Levi scrunched his nose slightly, remembering what the cook put in his bag after asking for some traveling rations. The day was already shitty enough as it is, he didn't need more shitty food. "We did, but the Scouts won't crash and burn in the ground if we eat somewhere."

Sunako breathed out a laugh. "Ara ara, are you perhaps asking me out on a date, Captain?" She teased. Though, she doesn't mind going out with him. If anything, it was thanks to her Anbu training that prevented the blush, threatening on her face.

Levi went still for a moment. He remembered the words that came out of his mouth yesterday. His words slip out in the heat of the moment but he didn't expect that Sunako, the woman who often tease him of how nobody likes him, would like him of all people. But in truth, he wasn't exactly sure on what he was feeling towards her. It was conflicting to some extent. But he surely thought that these feelings would fade in time. They're just superior and subordinate.

Their horses must be getting used to getting tied up because they did not protest this time as they stopped at a small restaurant. "I'll take care of feeding the horses, you order the food." Levi announced.

"What will you be having then?"

"Some bread and soup should do."

Sunako nodded and entered the restaurant, a one-story building with a beat-down wooden sign on the front. Levi took a bucket near the water pump and filled it with water, then carried the water to the small basin near the horses. Both of their horses greedily drank without prompt. Levi then went back near the water pump and got a generous amount of hay for the horses and dropped it in the food box. Truth be told, most of what he was doing was excessive compared to what people fed their horses. However, he and Sunako wouldn't be alive today if it weren't for their horses and may have a chance to live tomorrow. The Scout Regiment were never stingy with their horses.

Just before he could go to the water pump, Sunako's horse, Izanami, nudge him. Levi looked at the mare's intelligent eyes with raised brow when he got what the horse wanted. He sighed and pull out an apple before giving it to the horse who took it without hesitation. He would at times saw the petite woman spoiling her horse but then again, he saw her spoiling large cats with large fangs in her memories.

He then went to wash his hands in the pump, air-dried them, before heading inside. The place was crowded with travelers as all of the bartenders and cooks were furiously doing their job to catch up to the number of orders. After Trost was attacked by the Colossal Titan, people had moved to other places and since Karanes was around the same price range as Trost, the town experienced an influx of people and travelers at an unprecedented rate. Good for Karanes' economy, brutal for Trost's.

"Yoo-hoo! Over here!"

Upon hearing that familiar voice, Levi turned to see Sunako waving at him in one of the more removed tables as he started to walk towards her. He didn't like crowded places anyway. Too many variables. Their table had two cups filled with water but no food yet whatsoever. He sat opposite to her and started drinking, his parched mouth screaming in relief.

He wasn't oblivious at the number of stares, mainly from men staring at his second-in-command as she peacefully sips her water. It annoyed him how they kept their eyes on her instead of minding their own damn business.

"The food should be here in a few minutes." Sunako started with an ever-present smile on her face. "They're really nice, the owners I mean. Spoke nice things about the Scout Regiment."

This made Levi a bit intrigue when he heard, raising his brow. "That's new. No complaints about taxpayer money?"

Sunako shook her head a bit. "No, not yet at least. If that were the case I wouldn't be surprised. After all, we got a bit of a snag in our last expedition."

Levi scoff at her statement. That snag would be that Titan bitch whose identity was still uncertain of. Erwin was right that there was a spy for the Titans among them but that cost the lives of their men, the lives of his squad all to protect Sunako's Titan brat of a brother.

It didn't take long until a small, chubby man approached their table and place their dishes in front of them. "If you need anything, just yell, okay?" He offered with a jovial small, then left after they said their gratitude.

They ate in comfortable silence, none dare say a word. When a man approached their table, his eyes staring solely at the beautiful petite, raven-haired woman before stopping at their table. The two paid no mind to the approaching man and ought to finish their meal before leaving.

"hello there, sweetheart." He said, a smile making its way on his face trying to be appealing. Levi stared at the man, scowling in disgust when he smelt the booze coming out from him. Sunako twitched her nose slightly, smelling the alcohol from the man. "Why don't you ditch this guy and come with me? we'll have fun together." The man offer.

"I'm sorry, sir. But I'll have to decline your offer." Sunako politely rejected him with a smile on her face but the man keeps pressing her.

"Come on, don't be like that."

"Nope, not interested, please leave us."

Levi watched this all happen in front of him as his eyebrow twitches in annoyance at this guy who seemed to not get a hint already. Sunako was getting uncomfortable at this point as she kept rejecting the man several times. She was ready to subdue him if he ever touches her.

"A little fun wouldn't hurt." The man said, he was about to grab her hand when another hand shot forward and snagged his wrist, squeezing it tight within its grasp. The man yelp as Levi stood up, glaring at the man that dared try to touch Sunako's hand with that dirty hand of his. The amount of dirt under his nails had sent shivers down his spine.

"Don't you ever lay a f****** finger on her again. She's clearly not interested in you, so go take your shitty fun somewhere else." Levi said, his voice threatening.

"Ah! Sorry man!" The man spluttered, pulling his hand away from Levi's tight grip with a sour expression on his face. "Didn't know she was taken!"

Levi froze at the man's words as the man slink back into the crowd. The belligerent captain then went back to his seat to finish his food. "You know, I could've handled that." Sunako said.

"Yeah? The shitty pig is insistent by it and didn't even give a damn about personal space. Besides if we don't finish up soon, the others would follow." He said, referring to the other men that kept glancing at their table. So much for having a peaceful meal. It's no wonder, why her elder brother was so protective of her. She was just too pretty!

Sunako merely looked at him with mirth before she too finishes up her meal. They finished the rest of the lunch in comfortable silence. Before Sunako could even get the chance, Levi went and paid for their meals and their horse's feed while the petite woman went outside by their horses to wait for him.

He wouldn't be concerned. After all, Izanami is rather protective of her owner and doesn't let anyone close to her unless it's the petite woman herself or him, strangely enough. By the time he went out of the restaurant, both of their horses plus Sunako were now surrounded by other horses but they weren't uncomfortable. The both of them saddled up and went on their way to the Schultz home.

The moment they arrived, Sunako was the first one to get off and tie Izanami to a nearby pole as she strode to the front and knock softly with Levi trailing behind her. He immediately detested how quickly Gunther's mother, Beatrice, face fell the moment she opened the door as if she already knew what they were to say. Nonetheless, she allowed both him and Sunako in, making them feel at home.

In all honesty, Sunako was getting slightly nervous. The guilt was racking up when she faced one of her best friend's mother as Levi handed the letter as she watched how Beatrice's face immediately twisted and brought both of her hands to her face to cover her tears. Her frame was wracked with sobs as Sunako pressed her lips together and clenching her small hands before she decided to stand up and slowly walk up to Beatrice, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. She knew if Gunther was still, he would've done the same thing.

Her sobs decreased their intensity until she was hiccuping but the tears did not stop. Beatrice looked up to meet the eyes of her son's best friend.

"I'm sorry... I'm so sorry..." Sunako apologized to her, her onyx eyes filled with such remorse but Beatrice held the petite woman's hand. "No... it's okay... You're the woman who's friends with my son, right?" Beatrice asked.

Sunako responded by nodding her head as Beatrice smiled sadly. "My son talked about you in the letters he sent. You see, he was a very timid boy when he was younger and Eld was his only friend at the time. I'm very thankful that you befriended my son while he was alive."

"No, I should be thanking you for raising him. Raising him singlehandedly wasn't easy." Her lips turned upwards in a bittersweet smile. "Gunther never found someone else in his life, but he had you. He said that you were the only woman he ever needed in his life, and that was enough for him."

The tears kept flowing out on Beatrice's face as she heard the petite woman's words about her son. "Thank you." She whispered as Sunako continue to comfort her before she and Levi have to go to the last house.

Levi knew the last visit was going to be the hardest one for her. He knew that those three were a tight-knit group of friends. Maybe they weren't as close as she was with Itachi and Shisui or him with Furlan and Isabel, but the comparison was rather unfair since they came from different backgrounds.

They arrived at Gin home rather quickly than expected. Sunako was determined to finish this, even if she does need a helping hand every once in a while. They knocked on the door and sure enough, a young blonde woman opened the door, tilting her head in confusion.

"Hi... what can I do to help—" Her eyes then lightened up at the sight of the petite woman in front of her. "You! I remember you!" She smiled at Sunako. "You were there when I met Eld!"

Levi inwardly groaned. So this was Seraphine, the woman that Eld was going to propose to. He didn't know if this was better or worse than the parents. Sunako has her usual smile and nods in greeting.

"Yes, I was. Do you... mind if we come in?"

Sera blinked and put a hand on her cheek. "Oh! I'm so sorry for being rude! Where are my manners, please come in!" She opened the door wide enough for them to enter as Sunako went in first followed by Levi.

"You might want to sit." Levi said.

Sera's head snapped towards him as if her mind just registered that he was there. Her eyes were confused for a bit until they widened in recognition. "You must be Captain Levi, aren't you?"

"Yes."

There was a table with four wooden chairs as she took the one closest to the entrance, placing her hands on her thighs and laced her trembling fingers together. "This is about Eld, isn't it? Did something happened to him?" She asked, her voice broke at the end as Sunako's eyes went solemn.

"In the last expedition... Eld was killed." Sunako declared. "We're sorry."

Sera's eyes went wide at the news and bit her lip harshly. "This... This must be some mistake. Surely, He... he can't be dead!"

Levi got the letter out from his bag and handed it to her gently. "This is for you and his family."

Sera's eyes geared up and started blabbering. She was no longer looking at them but looking through them. "No! This can't be happening! He can't be dead! I love him! How!? How can this happen!?"

Sunako took the letter from his hands and placed it on the table. This was her best friend's girlfriend and supposed fiancé, it should be right for her to give this letter to her since she was the one who introduced Eld to her. "I'm really sorry, Sera. But it's the truth, Eld's gone. I... witnessed it happened." Sunako said.

Sera snapped her head at her and snarled at the petite woman, raven-haired woman. "How could you let him die!? He was your best friend! Tell me, what did he die for? Trying to save you!? Is that what he threw our future away for?!"

Sunako remain still, letting Sera take all of her grief on her but each word she spoke made her feel more remorseful. "No, he died trying to secure a better future for you, his family, and his future family." Levi then pitched in, rather harshly.

Sera grit her teeth and cried in sorrow. "I know, I know, I'm sorry, that's what Eld always said. For me, for him, for everyone. I believed in him, but my father was right..." she hugged her small frame.

Onyx eyes looked at her with sympathy before calling her name. "Sera..."

The blonde woman looked at the petite, raven-haired woman, her tears flowing down still. "For all the times I spent with Eld, the day that you two met was the first time I saw him lay his eyes on you with such adoration. He constantly talks about you every chance he gets and often comes to me when he needed advice to make you feel special. Before he died, he wanted to give this to you." Sunako went to her pocket before pulling out a cloth and handed it to her.

Sera shakily unravels the cloth only to gasp when she saw a ring there. "This just proves how much he loves you, Sera. So thank you for loving him and I'm sorry." Sunako said as Sera sobbed, pulling the ring close to her chest.

Sunako glance at Levi and nodded as they stood up. "We'll be taking our leave. Again, we're sorry." Levi said as the both of them left the house, closing the door behind them.

The moment they step out of the door, Sunako lets out a breath. Her chest felt at ease knowing that she did what she thought was right for their families. "Oi, you alright?" Levi asked.

It took a few seconds before Sunako finally answered him. "Yeah... let's go back."
—————————————————————————————————————————————

The sun was already setting down by the time they got back from headquarters. Sunako was through the silent hallways, passing by door after door of the old building. A sigh escaped her face when she passes by Oruo's room.

Standing in front of his room, she grabbed the handle and open the door. The room was almost cleared out as if there was not a trace left for him. She steps foot inside the room, inspecting it thoroughly before her eyes landed on a book on the ground. Curious, she went and pick it up, looking through the contents before letting out a wry smile and shook her head. A memory pops up in her mind.
—————————————————————————————————————————————

"Shit, This is so heavy." Oruo complained, his hands with heavy stacks of books as Sunako walk beside him carrying her stack of books. Though, hers were a bit lighter compared to Oruo's stack.

She was just going back to her room with a stack of books that she finds would be beneficial. To say that she went overboard was an understatement. Oruo just happens to be passing by when he saw her carrying such a heavy stack back to her room. Sunako denied his help at first but Oruo was insistent and grabbed most of the books anyway as they walk back to her room.

"You know, you didn't have to help me carry these books. I could handle this myself." Sunako said. She could've just used her chakra to strengthen her arms and carry the books herself.

"You may be as strong and skilled as captain Levi, but you're also a woman, a small one at that. There's no way that I would even let a woman like you carry these books alone, regardless that you're my superior or not." Oruo haughtily said. He could feel his arms aching by the weight of the books he's carrying. "Seriously, do you really need to read all of these?"

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." Sunako said. "Besides, if you could only bask yourself in books, then maybe you could use your head in some situations other than boasting about and imitating the captain himself, otherwise I would've thought that you're disliked as well." She wittily pointed out with an ever-present smile on her face.

Oruo sputtered his words as if he was being hit by an arrow in the head. "I... For your information, I'm not disliked by anyone! And I'm also—" Before Oruo could finish, he accidentally bit his tongue again and blood splutters out from his mouth.

Sunako let out a sigh. "Don't ruin the books with your blood, please"

"You're more worried about the books than me bleeding out!?"

"That's what you get for not being too careful and don't worry, I'll take care of that bleeding tongue of yours."
———————————————————————————————————————

She chuckled to herself at that memory as she left the room. Oruo may have taken her point and went to read on his own before he died, hence the book that she picked up. She continued to stroll by the hallways before spotting two rooms, both of which belonged to Eld and Gunther.

Like Oruo, both of their rooms were almost cleared out until her eyes caught sight of a bucket at the side of the room before giggling to herself how she used to wake them up.
—————————————————————————————————————————————

The petite woman stood before the sleeping figures of the two men, donning the Cadet Corps's uniform as she shook them to wake up but to no avail. "Eld, Gunther, you two need to wake up, or else Commandant Sadies will chastise you two." She said.

All she got in response was the snores coming from the two and their noncoherent murmuring. Sunako shook her head and sighed, putting both her hands to her hips. "Oh geez, what am I gonna do with you two..." she said in her native tongue. Not that they would hear her anyway.

She taps her foot, thinking of something to wake them up before training starts when an idea came up. Her eyes glinted in mischief as she walked out of the door to get something.

Much to her delight, there are two buckets near the well and fill them up with water. With her chakra strengthening her arms as she carried the two buckets of water back to Eld and Gunther's room. Many Cadets that walk past her looked curious as to where is she going to use the two buckets for. By the time she got back into the room, Both Eld and Gunther are still sleeping like a log.

Good. She put down one bucket while she held the other one and went to Eld's bed. Her onyx eyes filled with mischief as her smile became sadistic. Without hesitation, she dumped the bucket of cold water on Eld as the blonde man himself shot up from his bed when he felt the cold water being poured on him. Not only were his clothes wet but the sheets as well.

"Sunako, what was that for?" He asked, cold water dripping from him as Sunako went to get the other bucket and did the same thing to Gunther, garnering the same reaction as Eld did.

"What gives, Sunako?" Gunther asked as well.

"It's about time you two woke up. Have I hadn't poured water on you, you would be late for training." Sunako said with a sweet smile on her face.

"You could've just wake us up normally." Gunther pointed out.

"I did, but you two just won't budge. Honestly, you two slept like a log that I had to take drastic measures just so that you two would get up." Sunako bluntly said. She grabbed both of their towels and threw them towards them. "Come change now, you must make haste, training will start in a few minutes."

With that said, Eld and Gunther immediately sprang out of their beds in a rush, drying themselves with the towels as Sunako leave them to change and get ready.
———————————————————————————————————————

Sunako smiled in mirth at the memory. Those were the good times she spent with Eld and Gunther. Those two helped fill the hole that Shisui and Itachi left. Although no one can replace the close bond she had with Shisui and Itachi, it felt nice to have a similar bond like she had with them.

Next, she passes by Petra's room. Her room was almost cleared out like the others as the petite woman steps into the room. She sat on the bed that was once Petra's and recalled a certain memory in her mind.
—————————————————————————————————————————————

"Here, that should do it." Sunako said as she finished treating Petra's bitten hand in Petra's room. She already finished treating the men's hands after they also bit their hands as an apology for the way they acted earlier. While, she's thankful for their sincere apology, but their stunt was not something that she expected. "Does it still hurt?" She asked.

Petra shook her head and gave her a reassuring smile. "No, it doesn't hurt at all. Thank you, Sunako."

"That's good." Sunako let out a close-eyed smile. "Tell me if it hurts again, alright?"

Just as she was about to leave, she eventually heard Petra's voice that made her stop in her tracks. "Actually..."

Sunako look at her, curiosity in her onyx eyes as she observed Petra fidgeting her hand slightly as if she was hesitant to say something. "Yes?"

"Um... If you don't mind, wouldn't it be alright if you express your emotions more? Don't get me wrong! I think that being able to smile all the time is a wonderful thing. But wouldn't it hurt if you show your other emotions? With your voice... or your face... when you're in pain?" Petra rambled but Sunako understood what she meant and smiled softly at her.

"Petra... Are you telling me, to cry in front of you?" Sunako asked as Petra stared at her ever-smiling face. Not once had she saw her break her smile and yet, whenever a number of their comrades passed away, she always held such saddened eyes but her smile didn't waver.

She couldn't help but feel sad at how Sunako couldn't express much of her emotions, only showing a smile on her face despite wanting to openly show her sadness. It must've been painful to put up such a face. The sight of it felt like her heart is going to rip apart.

Sunako was a bit taken aback when Petra started to cry as she immediately went to Petra's side. "What's wrong? Why are you crying, Petra?"

The ginger-haired woman continued to cry. "If Sunako won't cry, then I'll cry in her stead."

Sunako's eyes went wide when Petra spoke those words. Words that she was familiar with very well.
———————————————————————————————————————

"Why are you crying, Okasan!?" Her younger self asked. Panicking a bit when she saw her own mother crying.

"Since Sunako won't cry, I'm crying in your stead." Her mother continued to cry as Sunako stood there not knowing what to do at first before going closer to her mother and hugged her. Her mother returned the hug as she continued to cry. Sunako could only hope that she would stop crying at this point.

After Rukia calm down, she then made the young girl lay her head on her lap. Sunako was a bit hesitant to be in this position but she eventually gave in to her mother's insistence as she laid comfortably in her mother's lap and the woman, herself, caressing her head softly.

"I like my little butterfly's smiles more. And since you chose to take this path, remember to always control your emotions." Rukia said as the girl hummed in affirmation to her words. "But Sunako,"

Sunako glanced her eyes up slightly to look at her mother who has a smile on her face. "It's fine if you act like a pampered child once in a while in front of me. Because I'm your Okasan."

———————————————————————————————————————

Petra was taken by surprise when Sunako then lay her head on her lap. The times she spent with the petite, raven-haired woman, she had never seen her acting like this until now.

'Okasan is so much kinder than me, Nii-San too. Sympathizing with their enemies and feeling their pain... The one who really wants to cry would be you, Okasan. You and Nii-San are too good of a person.' Sunako thought.

"S-Sunako? Are you-"

"Just for a bit." Sunako promptly said, cutting Petra off her sentence. "Just let me act like a pampered child for once."

Petra was surprised by her request, before smiling warmly and started to caress her head just like how her mother used to do. Onyx eyes started to glisten as silent tears came out from her eyes. She was reminded of the warmth her mother had when she would caress her head like this.

'It's so warm...'
———————————————————————————————————————

The memories eventually washed away, like the waves punching into the shoreline, bringing Sunako back to reality. There was no denying it anyway.

Her squad, her dear friends, did not pass away in the comforts of their bed, graying of old age. No family members were surrounding them, comforting them as they took their last breaths. They died in a gruesome death in battle with their uniform as their shrouds. Their bodies must be rotting in the beating sun, far from the walls they called home. Abandoned by the Scouts.

She felt pain, sorrow, and grief. But above all, she felt anger and resentment, all directed to herself.

Maybe if she had activated her Sharingan, protecting them with her own abilities, they would still be here alive and well. If she had just stayed and protected them like she ought to, would it change? No matter how much she thinks about it, there's nothing she could do to change the past.

For most of her life, she has to remain strong. Smiling away to hide the pain in her heart. Switching to a cheerful persona to conceal her growing anger and hate. Doing all things she must do, all for the sake of duty. And yet it was starting to take a toll on her. The pitiful glance of condolences from the remaining soldiers, their mourning friends and families, and most of all, Levi's empty grieving cold eyes.

But she has more important things to do. She can't afford to break. She has her wards to worry about. The three kids that she took in after Wall Maria fell. The three kids who she claimed as her siblings in all but blood. They're depending on her, needing her to be the pillar that keeps them together. She has to be strong and firm for them.

And Levi... she needs to be strong for him too. She must do what she can to survive and protect those she cared for the most. All with a smile on her face. Never again, would she fail.

Her train of thoughts were interrupted when a knock came on her door. She immediately recollected herself before allowing the person to open the door. "Come in."

The door opened, revealing to be a scout as he gave her a salute. "Sunako, Commander Erwin has something to discuss with you."

Sunako blinked at this before nodding. "All right. I'll be there."

She stood up and followed him out of the room to meet with Commander Erwin. Now, what did Erwin wanted to discuss with her?
—————————————————————————————————————————————

Levi sat in the large, seemingly lonely mess hall. The place almost resembled their fallen comrades who had recently resided in the area— dead. He could still feel their lingering presence shadowing around him. It's nearly unbelievable to imagine that this was the very same mess hall that once came with excited and happy chatter.

He exhaled softly. The only source of warmth in the room was a cup of black tea which sat between his pale palms that still hosted a slight tremor of shock from recent events.

The only other form of life in this room was a young teenage boy, sitting a good chair's space away from him, seemingly also drowning in his sorrows. Eren consciously realized how the once lively mess hall could become so silent and haunted just after one expedition. The shock and despair from the loss of his comrades still lingered in his body along with how his elder sister almost died because of him. The boy could only sit in silence, unsure of what to say to his captain.

"They're late..." Levi uttered. His mind swimming with various thoughts. "That Erwin bastard and his men are keeping me waiting. The Military Police escorts will come here before they do."  He took a long sip from his tea before continuing, "He's probably constipated and having a hard time now."

Eren offered a small smile at his jest. "You sure talk a lot today, Captain."

"Don't be stupid." Levi flatly said. He had an indiscernible look on his face when he saw that Eren was studying as he sips his warm tea. "I talk a lot, to begin with."

The Titan shifter fidgeted in his seat. The wooden chair he sat on creaked in protest every time he made a sound. "I'm sorry." He finally said after a long silence. "If only I hadn't made the wrong choice at that time... this wouldn't have..."

With an audible exhale, Levi placed his cup back on the saucer. He wasn't the only one who seemed to be mulling over their damn decisions. Sunako made decisions that need to be done, countless of her decisions were ones that she regretted. Although she doesn't say it out loud, he knows that she's blaming herself over their deaths.

"I told you... No one knows how things will turn out." Levi drawled, casting his gaze somewhere else. He was already drained enough as it is. The last thing he wanted was to sit through a sullen apology.

Things were definitely not the same since the last expedition. Eren couldn't help but feel unbearably uneasy at how quiet it was.

"...How's Sunako...?" Eren worked up the courage to ask. "Have you talk to her?"

"Why don't you ask her yourself? She's your sister after all." Levi snapped irritably.

Eren blanched. Berating himself for even asking such a thing when he could've just ask her himself. But from what Mikasa told him, she used the advanced form of her bloodline to rescue him and that his Captain already knows of her secret.

"Do you... blame her for keeping such a secret from you?" Eren cautiously asked.

It was silent for a bit before Levi replied. "No, I don't."

It was odd enough that he didn't resent her for keeping her abilities to herself. If she had known about it, then maybe she could've prevented their deaths. But then again, he could understand why. If people were to discover this ability of hers, others would fear its power or exploit it for their own gain. Nobles would appeal with the king and strip her off of her military status and be bred like cattle in order to gain her bloodline. Not only that, she would endanger those around her, especially when he now knows the truth behind her clan's abilities.

No one knows love more than an Uchiha. However, such love is capable of losing out of control that would eventually turn to hatred. The more an Uchiha falls into darkness, the more they succumbed to their madness until they can't be stopped.

Although, there's likely no chance that Sunako would fall, but what if that small chance happened? Many of their subordinates die in their line of work, there's no escaping that death will come on to him and the people she made attachments to. It's only a matter of time until she finally snaps. If that happens, instead of being one of humanity's hope, she'll be humanity's greatest danger. Humanity will be damned if that happens.

His thoughts were later interrupted when Erwin came in as Eren stood up from his seat. "Sorry to keep you waiting." Erwin apologized.

"Not at all, sir." Eren said. However, Erwin wasn't alone when he entered the mess hall. He came to the mess hall with the newest recruits along with his ever-smiling elder sister.

"You guys!" Eren gasped audibly upon seeing his classmates. Mikasa was relieved to see Eren physically well and Armin softly smiled at him before returning to his serious expression. There's something more crucial that he needed to know.

Levi grimaced, barely acknowledging his Commander. "You sure took your damn sweet time."

"Excuse me for the delay, Levi." Erwin interrupted swiftly, making eye contact with him. "But we have identified a person who may be the Female Titan."

Eren gasped, his real-green eyes widened at the news. "We will capture her for sure this time." Erwin affirmed. The cadets stood silently.

They now sat around the table with the map of Stohess District open on the table. "The operation will be in two days. It will take place in Stohess District, as go our way to the capital. This will be our first and last chance."

Sunako sat across from Levi as Erwin discussed their plan. Usually, she would've sat next to him but he has been keeping his distance from her after visiting the families of her squad.

"Once we pass that point, Eren will be remanded to the capital.  Our pursuit of those who seek to destroy the walls will be difficult. Worst case, it might ensure the extinction of humanity. We will stake everything on this plan." Erwin said.

Eren nodded slightly, his face grim and serious. He understood how critical this plan must succeed.

"Here's our plan. When we pass through Stohess, Eren will act as a decoy, and lead the target into this underground tunnel." Erwin said, tracing the route with his finger, pointing to where they should be. "If we can go to the lowest level, given the tunnel's size and structural integrity, even if the target transforms, we can immobilize her."

"However, should she ever figures out the plan and transforms before then..." Sunako turns her gaze to Eren. "Eren, we're gonna need your help."

"Right. As for the target... are we sure she is in Stohess?" Eren asked, doubt evident in his voice about their target's location.

"Yes, our target is a member of the Military Police." Erwin said, his voice held seriousness.

"The Military Police?"

"Armin was the one who figured it out." Sunako said as Eren looked at his friend briefly.

"He believes the target also killed the two captured Titans." Erwin continued.

"You may know her, Eren. After all, she is a former trainee from the 104th, the same as you." Sunako said. There was a certain solemnity in her gentle voice as Eren's eyes expanded. "W-Wait a second... the 104th?" Eren stuttered in shock.

Erwin's blue eyes stared hard at Eren before revealing the identity of the suspected Female Titan. "The name of the girl we believe to be the Female Titan is... Annie Leonhart."
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Hey everyone! Here's chapter 12 of this book. As you can see, she not only did she provided her knowledge about chakra and the Uchiha clan but also revealed her feelings of anger and hatred towards her enemies. Hope you guys enjoy this chapter and also here's a drawing of Sunako that I try in a semi-realistic style.

So bye and stay awesome!😊 Peace out!✌️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

98.8K 3.5K 36
"The bravest hero of them all... you are a true warrior Miss Ackerman!" When Y/n Ackerman is pushed off the edge of wall Maria she thinks this might...
1.1M 31.3K 54
Chisaki Matsumoto a bloodthirsty soldier who lives for the sole purpose of destroying the titans. But as straightforward as her plan is, not everythi...
18.7K 561 19
When money was tight and she was unable to pay off her remaining semester balance, Y/n had no choice but to take a night club job as a dancer. The wo...
995K 27.9K 86
Suns had always been known to be the brightest light, but anyone whose ever met one particular girl would know her smile conquered all. She loved and...