Smoke and Iron-Legends of Sil...

Par Talespinner56

⚔️This is an incomplete, unedited version of the story. I am in the process of finishing and editing this boo... Plus

Author's Note
Chapter 1-Plights of a Thief
Chapter 2-A Daring Assignment
Chapter 4-A Suprising Revelation
Chapter 5-Deals and Tales
A Prayer on the Wind
Chapter 6-Secrets in the Dark
Chapter 7-Adventures in the Market
Chapter 8-Never a Dull Moment
Chapter 9- The Power in a Name
Chapter 10-To Catch a Ghost
Dealings by Candlelight
Chapter 11-Another Hard Day's Work
Chapter 12-The Third Verse
Chapter 13-Trouble Knows No Bounds
Chapter 14-Unusual Allies
Chapter 15-A Name Long Forgotten
Sailing in the Clouds
Chapter 16-First Blood
Chapter 17-The Power of Phrophecy
Chapter 18-The Face of a Ghost
Chapter 19-Consequences
Chapter 20-Truths
An Unkown Guardian
Chapter 21- Another Cat is Out of the Bag

Chapter 3-A Party for Thieves

34 3 0
Par Talespinner56

Tara

Never was I so relieved to see the dingy form of the Coal Inn, than today. Even though I thought those fools had given up their search for me, I was wrong. After running from that alley as if a demon was after me, I stopped to catch my breath when I was sure I was safe. I was wrong, in the alley I saw soldiers walking down the main streets of the Quarter. Damn I thought, why couldn't they just let me have one good day.

Thanks to the increase in patrolmen, it took me longer than the usual half hour's walk to the inn. By the time I entered through the main door, the hands of the old clock pointed to one. My legs ache from having to scale the walls of buildings without my hook. Knowing my luck, one of them would see the rope dangling attached to nothing but air.

The room is packed full of people, the tables filled with the usual crowd of sailors, hardened thugs, and thieves. The tavern boasts two long tables on either side of the room. Between them, is an open space designated for dancing, dangerous stunts, and mind boggling tricks. The long bar to my right, boasts a variety of bottles filled with beer, ale, and whiskey. All of them lined neatly on wooden shelves nailed into the wall.

The door next to them, leads into the kitchen filled with the smell of baking bread, roasting meat, and steaming soup. Small circular tables fill up the rest of the room, a few playing host to games of chance, cards, and dice.

A set of stairs to my left leads up to the balcony above. A balcony that wraps its way around the room, a perfect way to view the goings on from a safe distance. The stage is situated opposite of the bar, though it's nothing more than a raised wooden platform in front of the stone fireplace. Sharing the same wall is a door that leads into a small hallway, one that few are allowed to enter.

Walking across the scuffed floor, I find a seat at the bar, far away from one very drunk and loud sailor. As soon as I sit down my body is jarred into a crushing hug. Laughing, I slide easily out of my captor's hold. Turning, I face a girl with green eyes and frizzy red hair.

"Tara were the hell ya been? Miss Cole was about to send someone after you. She was so worried that she almost decided to send Jarvis to find your sorry neck," she scolds in a fake stern tone.

"Relax Jade," I say, placing a hand on her shoulder.

"I just had to take longer to avoid all those damn metal heads, that's all."

Huffing a sigh, she looks me up and down as if to see if my head is still screwed on right.

"Well at least you're here now," she replies with a huff.

"Come on, let's get you dressed into something that hasn't been dragged through the mud."

Grabbing my hand, we head to the other side of the tavern to the hallway, with a set of stairs leading to the series of rooms above. Jade pulls me so hard I fear my arm will come out of its socket. Going up the stairs, I take in the dark wood of the walls and ceiling, the old brass wall sconces glow dimly on either side.

The boards are old but still strong, though I can hear the creaks and groans of the steps beneath my feet. Reaching the top, we go to the first door at the beginning of the hall. The door protests as we enter into a room, one that we share with two other girls who are most likely out making trouble as usual.

The room holds only enough space for the four lumpy cots on the floor, an old battered trunk holds our supply of clothing and a small washstand beside it. On the walls are hooks and shelves holding coats, boots, and personal items all cluttered together in the limited space. The only light in the room comes from two thin candles on the wall, small runnels of wax dripping down their sides.

Jade leads me to the washstand, and then heads to the chest in search of something that has not been covered in a week's worth of coal dust and dirt. Taking off my clothes, boots, and goggles leaving myself in a thin gray shift,  I start the annoying task of cleaning my hair and face.

When I finish, Jade flings a brightly colored bundle at me, catching it I feel the smoothness of silk brush across my fingers. I unroll the bundle, which reveals a red wine cotton blouse with intricate swirling patterns that shine golden in the candlelight. Forest green leggings follow suit, the material thin and soft against my hands.

The skirt though leaves me speechless, never have I seen something so beautiful in my life. Made from different strips of material in jewel dark colors, it reaches all the way down to my ankles. I touch the smooth silk, and soft cotton of the individual strips, all of them edged with designs of moons, suns and stars.

"Whoa," I say in amazement, "Isn't this a little too fancy for me."

Glancing over at Jade, my eyebrows rise up in question. Hands on her hips she stares at me as if I grew a second head.

"Have you forgotten one of the most important days? More important than the king's birthday. Which I can't believe people still celebrate like yes we know the old dog is still alive we get it," she says.

"So," I begin, "What is so special that I have to wear this?"

A smile appears on her face, one filled with conniving glee.

"It's the tenth anniversary since Miss Cole bought this place and turned it into one of the most popular places for debauchery and a home for us scoundrels," she says.

Her eyes now shine with mischief and promises of good old-fashioned trouble. I smile, filled with joy at the prospect of the celebration that will soon start under our very feet. Never have there been bigger parties thrown than at The Coal Inn, resulting in fistfights, drunken declarations of love, and even a wedding. Which ended with the groom and bride falling off a nearby dock. They survived, though they were too drunk to care.

I hurriedly dress, putting on the clothes and then grabbing my leather shoes, of which I only wear on special occasions like this. When I am done, I turn and see Jade dressed in clothes similar to mine. Except where mine are in colors of green, red, and purple, hers are in orange, yellow and bright red. A yellow and orange scarf ties her hair back, revealing small glass beads that dangle from her ears.

"Now let's get that nest of hair fixed before Lark hogs the comb," Jade says, picking up the fine tooth comb.

It is a struggle for her and a pain for me as she tames my snarled tresses. In the midst of this torture, the door bangs open to reveal the two others in our quartet. Dressed just like Jade and me, they swagger in failing to keep their laughter at bay.

"How's the raking going girls?" Gemma snickers, blue eyes filled with glee.

Lark upon seeing my angry face, loses control and laughs until she has tears in her eyes. Setting herself down on one of the cots, long brown legs stretching across the floor, she reclines oblivious to the space that she takes up.

"From my guess our little Starling thinks it's not going so well," Lark comments, a catlike grin lighting up her face.

Bringing attention to her sharp cheekbones and golden eyes. Eyes that sparkle like the blue and greens beads that decorate her many corded braids.

"Well if she would stay still it wouldn't hurt so much," Jade replies with thea huff.

"You know I'm sitting right here," I say, annoyance coating my voice.

"We know," Gemma replies, "but it is fun to see you mad."

Tossing her blonde hair over her shoulder, she gives me a look filled with teasing.

"It's also our way of showing that we love you Tara we wouldn't have you any other way," she finishes.

Clapping me on the shoulder, I notice she has added another ring to her collection of pilfered gems that shine on her pale fingers.

"Without you we wouldn't get into half the trouble that we get into. Remember the time you dared that pirate to throw you off the dock, boy was he mad," she says with a grin.

We all burst into laughter because the unfortunate pirate had gone swimming while I had stayed dry. While he made himself hoarse from cursing my name.

Finally, after an eternity of Jade's endless pulling of my scalp, we all go to the door. Heading down the steps, the sound of drums and pipes rattle the wall. The voices of the crowd sing along to a hearty tale of a sailor and his empty bed. At the entrance, two men already drunk with ale, attempt to dance to the bawdy song, arms and legs loose from the strong drink.

"Alright girls, let's show them how to really celebrate," I say.

My feet ready to dance and my heart beating to the rhythm of the drums, yearn to be let free. Crafty smiles line their faces ready to make merry and mischief. We enter and join the others already there, twirling their bodies and stomping their feet. Lark's twin Farris, clad in a shirt of blue and silver thread, is already on one of the tables. His boots thumping on the wood as he dances, legs nimble and swift as he performs for the rowdy crowd.

Our friend Mark has also drawn the attention of the many party goers. Ruffled golden hair framing conniving eyes of blue and a cunning smile. With his hands, he juggles mugs, knives, even a vase much to Miss Cole's dismay. Her gray eyes never leaving his skinny form, as he tosses her precious treasure above the heads of the people.

The twins Cora and Calla, do cartwheels and somersaults across the tables. Their dark skin painted with stars in silver paint, shine underneath the candle light. Then there is Darius clad in green dangling from the rafters, and Erick his red hair glistening with sweat as he arm wrestles a man twice his size.

On the stage, Jarvis plays the drums bare-chested, catching the eyes of women and a few men in the room. It's no wonder he does with his dark tanned skin, eyes the color of the sea, and shiny black hair, they all can't help but fall under his spell. Especially, when they see the many tattoos of seabirds and ships that decorate his arms.

With him on stage is Amelia playing the pipes, her blond hair white against the red of her lacy gown. Her brother Derrick leads the crowd in song while playing the old piano, his fingers flying across the ivory keys.

All of this I see while we join in the dance in the middle of the giant room. Boots thumping, hands clapping to the steady beat of the music. Feeling free from the worries of Reapers, soldiers, and aching legs. I dance to the music with vigor, my blood tingling and ears ringing with the sound of pipes. Joining hands, we laugh and raise our voices high in song. The walls resounding with the melody of thumping feet, clapping hands, and gathered voices. The melody of a party that threatens to last till dawn.

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

13.3K 1.2K 63
ONC 2023 Shortlist Astrid, the Princess of Eurovea, a country existing several centuries in the future, had led a happy and sheltered life in the ca...
89.5K 3.8K 94
A young dream walker gifted with the ability to take over other people's bodies, becomes a spy and political assassin, venturing across worlds to sav...
504K 35.7K 51
*COMPLETE* There are whispers across the kingdoms that the Paragon, that strangely gifted person who can wield all four Skills, has been found. Th...
5.6K 461 28
Lannasia Derouv, distinguished member of Elchwen's secretive Thieves' Guild, is commissioned to steal a prized artefact from the heavily fortified es...