A Hero's Song (Darkest Secret...

Από DLSchrader

Gabriel lived his whole life in an underground lab, surrounded by people who only sought to use him - tricked... Περισσότερα

Foreword
Prologue
Chapter 1 - Test Run
Chapter 2 - Omen
Chapter 3 - Tinkering Before the Storm
Chapter 5 - A Hero's Life
Chapter 6 - Out of the Frying Pan
Chapter 7 - Lost to the Void
Chapter 8 - Homework
Chapter 9 - Sentinel Initiation: An Introduction
Chapter 10 - An Interesting Friend
Rosenquartz
Falco
Lilith
Chapter 11 - Old Family and New
Chapter 12 - Into the Fire
Chapter 13 - Alfred
Chapter 14 - The Saviour
Chapter 15 - Evolution
Chapter 16 - Pop Quiz
Chapter 17 - What Makes a Leader?
Chapter 18 - A Friendly Duel to the Death
Chapter 19 - Those are just the Babies
Chapter 20 - New Toys
Chapter 21 - Jacks of All Trades
Chapter 22 - Insubordination
Chapter 23 - I am the Captain now
Chapter 24 - True Purpose
Chapter 25 - This One Time in the Rockies
Chapter 26 - Boss Fight
Chapter 27 - Dr. Atomic
Chapter 28 - After Hours
Chapter 29 - A Small Step for Man
Chapter 30 - Lockdown
Chapter 31 - Assassin
Chapter 32 - The Hunt
Chapter 33 - Truer Colors
Chapter 34 - The Quantum Conundrum
Chapter 35 - Words Unspoken
Chapter 36 - Seconds to Strike
Chapter 37 - Bitter Victories

Chapter 4 - Code L

23 5 5
Από DLSchrader

Jimmy rushed the length of the room while Gabriel set up two chairs at the closest table.

The power suit stood on its rack, glistening under the fluorescent lighting. Various pieces of uninstalled materials lay on the surfaces in ordered chaos. Gabriel shut down his holo-screens to avoid any distractions as he waited.

Wobbly steps took Jimmy to the empty chair, where he sat with a thump. The Handler tried to contain his sobs. Gabriel placed a hand on his shoulder.

The sniffles slowed and ebbed away. Jimmy sat up and looked at the Super, his long pink hair shadowing his eyes. "I...found him, Gabe." He said.

Containing another wave of emotion, the man spoke slowly. "I let him have a few hours to himself before I got worried. He still wasn't answering my calls or texts, he didn't bother accepting my invitation to go out and talk.

Four hours later the guys from lab 76 told me in the mess hall that Harold missed his first robotics exposition since upgrading the mechs to Class 4. I knew something had to be wrong." Jimmy stopped as another sob wracked him.

"What did you do then?" Gabriel asked.

"I didn't see that there was anything else to do but hack into his private lab and see what was going on with him. It took me a minute but I got the door open... that's when I saw him hanging by his tie from the ceiling." He started babbling - tears and snot dripping from his face. Gabriel handed him a clean rag. "There was a note. Harold admitted to blaming a random lab out of fear of Holmes. He wrote that he couldn't live with himself anymore."

"I'm so sorry you had to be the one to find him."

He recalled the two men's unlikely friendship. How it had blossomed since Harold had started as a secondary Handler.

Jimmy sniffed one last time and steeled his eyes, backing away from Gabriel. He looked at him square in the eyes. "That's not all. I made a lot of noise when I saw his... his body, a bunch of people ran over to see what had happened. The weird thing was that Holmes was there, watching. He looked almost... smug.

When someone read the note, he said 'What a shame no? I could have saved myself the trouble of dirtying my suit educating those workers now, couldn't I?' he looked so comfortable with the whole thing, Gabe. Like he knew all along that lab 132 was innocent, it scared the crap out of me. Holmes isn't normal. He has to be some sort of psychopath, even if he is a genius. Moreso even!"

Gabriel listened to his friend and reflected on his words. Living with Holmes in charge would mean a constant fear of having to put up with such a heartless atrocity again. What would Holmes be capable of, should Gabriel irk him? He knew the blame - and punishment - wouldn't fall on him, it would fall on his Handler.

On Jimmy.

Leaving was starting to sound like a better option, crippling anxiety be damned. "No one is safe around him. Not in here." He agreed, gesturing at the Iodine Complex.

"You're right, even you aren't. Holmes isn't the only reason either. Harold always convinced me against it, but after seeing him possibly set up to commit suicide, I'm fed up with keeping this from you.

We never told you why you were created, and you have never asked, but you deserve to know. Have you heard of Phase Three before today's meeting?"

Gabriel's interest in the term was piqued again. "No I haven't, but I'm pretty sure it involves me having to fight other Supers."

"You're right. You almost always are." Jimmy responded, a cryptic look on his face.

"The real questions you need to ask about phase three is who you would be fighting for, and why. Holmes plans to rent you out to the highest bidder, Gabriel.

You would be used as a one-man Black Ops unit to solve whatever problems your 'renters' desire. Totalitarian factions, terrorist cells, hell he would probably even rent you to the Blitz if they cared about money! You would be sent to kill innocents, and Heroes, Gabe. Holmes doesn't do any of his real business with friendly people." Jimmy sighed.

"They might even send you after the Sentinels." He finished in a hushed tone.

If Gabriel were sent to fight Sentinels, he would die, no two ways about it. Just one of the Shield would be enough to turn him to paste. There would be no luck to save him. Attacking the Supers he looked up to so much was something he would never accept.

His mind made up, he said, "As if I would ever agree to be used that way. We need to get out of here as soon as we can. Together."

Holmes would butcher Jimmy for letting company property escape. Leaving him behind was not an option. They could sneak out quickly, within the next couple of hours if they hurried.

He might be able to hold off any guards that they ran into, but that would only happen if someone raised the alarm. They should be able to reach the upper basements - if not the lobby - without raising much suspicion. It would be a short sprint to freedom through the security checkpoint on the ground floor.

They could contact the Houston Police or the Sentinels to get help.

Thinking of maintaining his composure when they got outside left Gabriel at a blank. For all his brains, he had no idea what to do. The thought of the mad rush through the city streets hit him like cold water.

Gabriel's anxiety started again, overpowering his logic and making him feel that staying could be a better option. Tears began to form as he struggled with the soul-crushing fear of the outside world.

Jimmy noticed how Gabriel's expression suddenly went from determined to defeated. "There's something else you need to know." He said.

Grateful for the escape from his mental torture, the Super asked. "What!?" The word came out angry.

Gabriel hated how he couldn't shake his anxiety. "Sorry, what do you mean Jimmy?" He noticed the scientist's tears. "Hey, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to snap at you, it was just..." His eyes fell.

"I know what you were thinking about," Jimmy replied. "I know your chronic anxiety hurts you a lot more than you let on, but it's time for you to know that it's not your fault. What we told you about your mutations... was a lie."

Gabriel couldn't believe his ears. All the time he had spent hating himself and his broken mind. Hearing that it wasn't him brightened his spirits for an instant. Then the look on Jimmy's face sank in.

It was shame.

"Go on." He said evenly.

"When you started designing your Neural Link, Holmes started a project involving psionic technologies. When you let the surgeons implant the Link in your brain, they also added a small psychic emitter under his orders.

It was designed to generate intense fear and programmed to respond to your thoughts of going outside this building. Holmes meant for it to keep you here, controlled. You never noticed because they slowly amped it up as time went by. That way it would resemble a natural psychological imbalance. They planned to turn it off when you were in the field to trick you into believing you wanted to be there."

Gabriel's eyes widened with each word. The elation he'd felt became despair. "So my fear isn't my fault, but this thing is in my brain. What do we do?" Gabriel asked, afraid there was no solution other than invasive removal.

"Taking it out would be the best option, but there's no time. I can turn it off, though, but that will be noticed quickly. Once we have what we need I can deactivate it." Jimmy said sheepishly.

Relieved, the Super sighed. "Good, good. Let's get ready then."

Jimmy froze. "Wait... you aren't mad at me? You aren't angry that I played a part in keeping you prisoner?"

Gabriel thought about it, but no. He felt no anger towards Jimmy at all. Holmes was the one at fault.

"No Jimmy, I'm not. Yes, you chose to work here knowing the legality of what goes on here, but so did I. Yes, you didn't tell me about the psionic implant, but you would have died if you did.

The most important thing is the fact that you were the only one who ever treated me like a child - like a person. The only one who would play and sing with me when everyone else just wanted to see a genius circus monkey perform. I know you, Jimmy. Who would I be without you to take care of me?"

"Gabe... I'm sorry I couldn't do more". Was all Jimmy could muster as he held his hands over his mouth.

The Super patted the man's arm. "You did better than anyone else. You are always looking out for others, now it's my turn to look after you. Go settle your things, the sooner we leave, the better. Don't run or act suspicious until we go."

Jimmy hugged his adopted son one more time. He left the lab and Gabriel got to work immediately.

He wiped all of his data from Iodine's mainframe and backup servers. After that, he took apart the Large Molecular Printer he designed. Since he couldn't take the whole thing, he left it in pieces. He would leave nothing of use behind.

The last order of business was testing his armor. Excited to feel the hydraulic muscles' extra power, he stepped into the armor's open back and booted up the software.

The generator at his back hummed with energy. The strength the suit gave him made him almost fall over as soon as he moved, his steps propelling him too quickly for his natural sense of balance.

He finished assimilating how he should adjust his movements after a few minutes of practice.

The wings responded much better than he'd hoped. The neural interface - under-coded with bird wing movements - shifted the 20-foot wingspan feather by nanocarbon feather. He could even tuck them neatly behind his back to avoid knocking things over and fit through doors.

Curious, he gave them a few experimental flaps and found that they produced enough lift to propel him through the air. That gave him another option should his anti-grav generator fail.

Gabriel explored what felt like a new toy while Jimmy arrived with some food for them. After testing his lasers' settings he took off his helmet to breathe some fresh air before setting off. Suddenly, the lights in the lab dimmed low.

A red glow emanated from the pulsating emergency bulbs. Gabriel was instantly aware something wasn't right. "Jimmy, what's going on? Is this a drill?"

Jimmy crossed his arms. "There wasn't any scheduled drill, but if an announcement is ma-" He was cut off by the blaring automated alarm.

"ALL PERSONNEL TO THEIR HOLDING AREAS, CODE-L REPEAT CODE-L. ALL PERSONNEL TO THEIR HOLDING AREAS, CODE-L REPEAT CODE-L. ALL PERSONNEL-"

Jimmy's face whitened. He screamed above the announcement, "That's the alarm for Lucian! What are we gonna do? If Lucian is on a rampage we need to leave n-" What sounded like a bomb went off. The alarms got louder.

The three-foot thick security door slammed down over the main door, sealing them off from exterior threats.

"We need to leave!" The young tech screamed at Gabriel, almost bolting for the exit alone, no matter how impenetrable that door was to him.

Grabbing his shoulder, Gabriel said "Wait, Jimmy, we need to find out what's going on. What if Lucian is right outside? What then?!"

"Okay, fine. You're right. Let me go Gabriel that hurts." Jimmy said after taking a deep breath. "What do you propose we do?"

"I'm gonna see what's going on."

Gabriel lifted his left arm, neurally activating the wrist-pad equipped under his gauntlet. Using wireless connectivity he accessed the security cameras outside his lab, seeing the images overlaid in a corner on his visor. All was clear in the hall.

He switched to the cameras farther and farther away in quick succession. There was no sign of danger up to the training room. Gabriel kept searching.

Nearing Lucian's quarters he saw a group of six training bots spearheaded by Holmes, running swiftly towards the door. The robots were equipped with gauss rifles and Class 3 shock batons. They'd stop Lucian cold with the barest contact.

Holmes had nothing on him but his cane, though he seemed to be jogging leisurely. He was much faster than the robots and was slowing down to arrive with them.

The group reached the entrance to the room and paused. Holmes opened the door, only to have a body fly out the door past him. Well, the remains of a body. It looked to be a pair of legs.

The gore flew past the professor as he dodged and allowed it to splatter one of the robots.

He sneered distastefully. "Ugh, what a savage." He muttered, just loud enough for Gabriel's audial sensors to register.

The party entered, mechs first, and Gabriel quickly switched to the cameras inside Lucian's room. He saw his twin floating - eyes closed - and distorting the air around him.

The Super was near the edge of his containment unit, 200 meters from the door. He was heading towards his second Handler.

"Oh my god, Tom. PLEASE Lucian NO! NO! WWUAGHHGHGHH-," the woman was cut short. Her bones snapped as Lucian lifted her from the ground while crushing her. The air around her body shifted and roiled, filling with red mist.

"Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaghhhhh!" Lucian screamed, throwing out his arms and sending the woman crashing headfirst into the safety glass. The top half of her body pulverized against the glass, while her legs continued through, leaving a second bloody hole in the wall.

This time Lucian's carnage hit the ground in front of Holmes. Blood spattered the man's shoes and pants.

"My dear Lucian, you finally threw another tantrum didn't you?" Holmes said, frowning at the soon-to-be stains on his garments. "Naughty naughty."

The Professor reached out with his right arm. A green distortion extended from him towards the enraged Super, crossing the distance in a split-second and engulfing Lucian's head. Holmes must have a projected telepathic ability.

A look of surprise spread across Lucian's face, he sagged in the air. Then Gabriel's twin opened his eyes and looked at the scientist, cocking his head to the side.

The man's cocky smirk disappeared.

"Impossib-" Holmes fell to his knees screaming and clutching his head in agony.

The Doctor might be formidable, but Lucian's abilities were far above any known psychics. Attacking him that way had been a mistake, thought Gabriel. Holmes should have known better.

The robots fired simultaneously, sending half a dozen gauss rounds barrelling toward the Telekinetic.

All six projectiles slammed into the air in front of him, flattening into discs. Lucian looked behind him, toward the furniture in the center of the room. With a flick of his wrist, the four metal tables streaked towards his attackers.

Holmes had recovered by then and managed to jump away. One of the tables missed completely, but the other three each struck a bot.

The others dodged out of the way, aiming and firing once more at Lucian. This time they missed by a hair, grazing the telekinetic force field around him. The robots charged, grabbing Lucian's attention.

The Professor stood in front of Lucian before anything else could happen. He had used the distraction of the gauss rifles to blur around the side of the room quicker than Lucian could react.

The man clocked in at the upper end of Class 4 speed, shocking Gabriel.

Holmes held his cane like a sword, holding the handle and twisting the stylized head. Immediately the cane glowed with the telltale signs of a plasma weapon.

Lucian's eyes widened. He'd had no time to react when Holmes swiped upwards. Slicing off his right arm just below the elbow.

Lucian screamed. The air around him took on an almost crystalline appearance. Then it exploded outwards, sending Holmes and his puppets flying into the thick walls of the room. The ground shook as before.

Lucian screamed again and flew out of the room. Gabriel switched the camera feed and saw Lucian in front of a lab. Screams could be heard from inside as the security door was ripped off its hinges and thrown into the room, crushing someone inside. He zoomed in, screaming bloody murder.

Gabriel forced himself to watch Lucian enter and massacre three more labs before he could be sure his brother would take some time to reach the other end of the facility.

Shutting the bloody feed off he turned to Jimmy. "Lucian escaped his room, Jimmy. We need to get out of here as quickly and silently as possible. We have a little time. What can you tell me about our situation right now? I never had any briefings on how to handle a 'code-L'."

Nodding, the Handler said, "There isn't much to know, all the labs and dormitories are on lockdown, anyone found outside during this time will be considered either a hostile entity or an escapee. Security will act accordingly." Jimmy looked at his hands. "If we try to leave now they'll shoot us on sight, we have to hope whatever countermeasures they have are enough to stop Lucian."

Gabriel shook his head. "I just watched Holmes and his team of bots get obliterated. There won't be any more help coming in that regard. On the bright side, we won't have to worry about security now."

Jimmy glanced up. "Team of bots? That isn't the security force I was told about. Either they lied, or that group you saw was Holmes' version of a kill squad. Maybe he thought he would be enough to restrain Lucian?"

If Holmes had rushed ahead of security, that meant there was a very real danger in leaving this room. Whatever security there was posed a huge threat to an UnClassed person like Jimmy.

He turned back to the tech. "What security team were you told about?"

"I was told about a team of four Class 2's as well as a Class 3 squad leader, all wearing Class 3 power suits. They should arrive within ten minutes of the alarm."

The younger man glanced at his watch. Eight minutes had passed, which likely meant this team had already arrived. With only one way out, they couldn't leave until the team engaged Lucian.

Gabriel reentered the security feed. He found the security team within seconds, but what they were doing took him a few moments of finagling with the camera angles to find out.

The team was posted up in the middle of the main cross hallway, shooting down the entrance hall.

That made no sense to Gabriel at first. Why would Lucian not be in the midst of the group, tearing them limb from limb with his mind?

When Gabriel saw the fireteam's targets his heart skipped a beat. There might be a way out of Iodine without fighting the guards, after all.

The Houston Sentinels had arrived.

Συνέχεια Ανάγνωσης

Θα σας αρέσει επίσης

Drowning Fish by Heron Djenne Canvasback Από TD by JW

Επιστημονικής φαντασίας

30 0 11
Welcome to the future, written in the past. A mutant plague has rendered part of the population as zombie-like humanoids. They have a conscious min...
Plagues Από Tim Bengert

Επιστημονικής φαντασίας

7.1K 558 43
The year is 2047. It's been almost 35 years since the U.S. went over the Fiscal Cliff, indirectly leading to the world's first encounter with the und...
Look Closer Από rainingfire1397

Επιστημονικής φαντασίας

419 55 25
150 years in the future, after a huge war has devastated the Earth, everyone has evolved to become a superhero. Gabrielle is one of the only Prevalen...
The Infant Conspiracy Από whyonedrtraveler

Επιστημονικής φαντασίας

8 0 3
Noel and Violet Oberllyn spent their adult careers working special ops for the U.S. government. After forty years of it, all they wanted was a peacef...